Need help with open Kitchen/Living Room
Melanie
These pictures were taken before we moved in. I want to add color but no clue what color or how to make it flow. The couch we have now is red and white but we are going to be getting new furniture soon. I will be getting black table and chairs that will go in front of the double doors in between living room and kitchen. The coffee table and end tables will also be black and the couch and chair will either be red or navy blue. I do not want a light neutral tone color, I don't really know what I want at this point so I am very open to suggestions, if any of you have any ideas. We just bought the house 3 months ago and we really don't have much at all in the way of decorations so it is basically and open canvas. I appreciate any ideas!!!
Melanie
Here are a few others
October 24, 2013 at 10:45am   
Melanie
None of the stuff in these pictures are in the house now. Those were the props they used for the realtor websites.
October 24, 2013 at 10:46am   
Brenda
huh ... clearly the frig used to be where the oven is now ... I wonder where the oven used to be ...

congrats on your new place. love the hearth room.
October 24, 2013 at 11:09am      Thanked by Melanie
Melanie
I have no clue. The cabinet in between the oven and the fridge is finished now and matches the rest of the cabinets in the kitchen. Thank you!
October 24, 2013 at 12:00pm   
Budget My Build
Under cabinet lighting would help brighten your kitchen. You may also consider painting the cabinets or the walls to add some color. We have a few blogs that may help if you're planning to do-it-yourself.
http://budgetmybuild.co/lighting/guide-installing-lighting-cabinets/ http://budgetmybuild.co/remodeling/how-to-paint-kitchen-cabinets/
October 24, 2013 at 12:12pm        Thanked by Melanie
Melanie
Yes I am planning on doing it myself, I really want to add color to the whole area I just really don't know how or what color to choose. I will look at your blogs for help. Thanks so much!
October 24, 2013 at 12:27pm   
studio10001
Melanie, I saw this in your ideabook, and think the wall colour would be a very good choice that would take your other wood and stone finishes into account. You might look at sage greens and rusts to compliment.[houzz=
]
October 24, 2013 at 12:36pm        Thanked by Melanie
Melanie
Do you think that color would go if I decide on either a red or blue couch with the black tables?
October 24, 2013 at 12:51pm   
studio10001
Yes. You are describing the palette of the rug underneath.,,,on my monitor, I should add.. :)
October 24, 2013 at 1:05pm        Thanked by Melanie
Melanie
Sure is! Great choice :)
October 24, 2013 at 1:48pm     
Melanie
Another question, If I go with the wall color above, what color should the cabinets be?
October 24, 2013 at 2:11pm   
studio10001
I could see navy, charcoal, khaki ( update the hardware) or black working if you repaint these ; you'll want to check them against your countertop to help choose, and might even go for two toned cabs., if you like.
These aren't your wall colour, but show some cooler shades to compliment with.[houzz=Interiors]
[houzz=Georgian Revival]
October 24, 2013 at 3:50pm      Thanked by Melanie
Melanie
I love the gray on that island, I could change to silver hardware. Eventually I want to change out my appliances too, so that could work.
October 25, 2013 at 9:20am     
Melanie
We are getting ready to paint and now we are thinking of going with a brown, possibly something like this. Would I be able to leave the cabinets as they are for now or what color should I paint the cabinets if we go with this brown. Also, should I paint the fireplace? Thanks!
Traditional Living Room by Charlotte Interior Designers & Decorators Carolina Design Associates, LLC
January 13, 2014 at 11:23am   
Melanie
]
January 13, 2014 at 11:23am   
studio10001
On my screen, it looks like both the cabs. and fireplace might stay as is. Test, of course, on a primed board w two coats to find the best, non-yellowing shade.
January 13, 2014 at 4:38pm        Thanked by Melanie
Melanie
Ok, I will do that this weekend. Thanks so much for your help!
January 14, 2014 at 1:14pm   
anitanazar
Very nice space!

But before you do anything I think you need to address your oven and fridge configuration. It just jumped out at me as patchwork and does not look good (sorry).

The vent hood and oven appear to be 30" and your cabinets above appear to be 36". I would change out the vent hood and oven to 36" to match the top cabinets. This is costly however, so not sure what your budget is.

Also I see that there is a base cabinet in between the oven and fridge that is not part of the existing kitchen (was it put in after?). I would remove this base cabinet altogether as it looks out of place.

I would also incorporate the fridge as it also looks out of place by continuing the bulkhead to the wall.
January 14, 2014 at 1:33pm        Thanked by Melanie
Melanie
Thank you. Yes, Yes, Yes I hate the appliances!! It is not in our budget to do that just yet but that is on our list. I also want to take out the bar area and put a small island in the kitchen to open the space up more. Yes the cabinet by the fridge was put in after it was finished and looks exactly like the other ones now. I do want to remove it eventually because I want to get a wider fridge that would fill up more of that space. I also want to put lighting under the cabinets. There is no pantry in there and I can't for the life of me figure out where we could put one in the kitchen. There is so much, but right now we are only able to do painting throughout the house. We are replacing flooring in two bedrooms and I'm painting all of the rooms. Then we will slowly start working on other parts of the house as we can. I appreciate your comments and advice.
January 15, 2014 at 10:29am   
Need help for my open-concept Kitchen/living room paint colours!
Professionals, help me please! I have a large, open-concept...
Need help with open concept kitchen/living room!!
I have just moved into my new house (please excuse...
Bathroom - matching vanity with floor and wall choices - help!
We have chosen a "mitte gray" glazed porcelain tile...
Need help with backsplash
I have golden sand granite in my kitchen. Can some...
Should girls have less pink in their bedrooms/lives?
I am trying to decide whether to paint my young daughter's...
Painting and wall stamps
Hi everyone What a lovely experience I've had on houzz...
Exterior house colours
Our home's locale experiences green summers and white...