What's your headboard style?
Jeannie Nguyen
October 24, 2013 in Polls
Do you have a favorite headboard style?

Vote and comment below telling us what type of headboard you currently have! If you have photos, post them too. :)
Patterned
Padded
Extra Tall
Custom Made
Upholstered
Other - Tell us below!
Keerthi Naidu
I loveeee wooden Moroccan style headboards like this one:
October 24, 2013 at 6:07PM     
I think more to the point is what you might like to have. We've had the same iron canopy bed for 17 years, but I've changed the bedding maybe 5 times, always leaving the lovely off white linen draperies hanging around it. I'm happy with the bed we have. It's very romantic looking, and elegant too.
October 24, 2013 at 6:10PM     
cfrisell
natural hardwoods from natural cherry to bentwood hickory
October 24, 2013 at 6:53PM     
dkvhaus
Currently, I do not have a headboard at all. I refuse to pay the price of a sofa for a plainly upholstered-padded-headboard when I can make one.
That said - I adore the shape of the patterned one above. However, I plan make a plainer version- a style that I could re-do myself rather easily. (Love the idea of a taller one - good drama for the bed- thank you)
October 25, 2013 at 1:34AM     
deebuz4me
I actually still love the bed that came with the set. It has a morrocan flavor. I finally figured that out and now have the look I love.
October 25, 2013 at 3:57AM     
edithsmom
We recently got a darker woven rattan (?) headboard as I wanted a coastal feel (we live on Cape Cod) , without the kitsch.
However, I love my son & DIL's padded from PB. They change the cover or cover it with a quilt.
October 25, 2013 at 4:17AM     
Studio M Interior Design
I'm feeling the patterned look. Love this look in John Robshaw's bedroom!
October 25, 2013 at 7:49AM     
printesa
There is a difference between what I would like to have and what I can have...What I can have and probably will get it at some point is a walnut bed with a headboard that can have some shelving and sliding resin boards (3form has some beautiful ones). Now what I would like to have is the Enignum Bed
October 25, 2013 at 4:43PM     
Jeannie Nguyen
@printesa: That's a crazy bedframe!

For me, I'm fine with just a simple headboard/frame. As long as my mattress is comfy!

October 25, 2013 at 4:47PM     
Mine has a linen slipcover. :)
October 25, 2013 at 4:48PM     
printesa
I love that bed,,it's a piece of art..it does need its own room:) Also, the price tag is beyond my budget:)
October 25, 2013 at 5:02PM     
mpmoates
I do not like lots of pillows on the bed and my husband and I use different types of sleeping pillows. He is a woodworker and I designed and he built a bed with a headboard with storage. We put our pillows in there each morning and there is plenty of room for other odds and ends so there is less stuff on the bedside tables.
October 25, 2013 at 5:23PM     
judyrud
I don't see the point of a headboard at all. My low bed fits into a wide 'nook' making an ideal space for narrow bookshelves high enough above the bed that I'm not likely to bang my head on them and room for bedside tables on each side.
October 27, 2013 at 12:00PM     
nasmijati
I prefer not to have a headboard.
October 27, 2013 at 12:05PM     
bungalowmo
I have since moved the bed from the window, but there's no moving little Maggie...she owns this bed. For me...the more pillows, the better. So far I have 3 from https://www.pacificcoast.com/
That is my indulgence!! aaaaahhhhhhhhhh........
October 27, 2013 at 2:25PM     
momof5x
I have a poster bed, traditional and classic, I tried to put a pic here but it didn't work out. I have one posted in a previous discussion somewhere though. I like solid wood and I also like the sleigh bed, super king size ones that are a little high!

I don't like my bed to touch the wall especially if it is near a window - love to keep everything clean especially behind bed! Sometimes headboards cause marks on wall behind.
October 27, 2013 at 2:38PM     
defever
I really like our sleigh bed. We bought it at a yard sale -- $200 for the Eddie Bauer bed or $300 with the mattress and boxspring. We took a chance knowing that a new mattress and boxspring would be lots more than $100. I bought a mattress cover and the bed is extremely comfortable!
October 27, 2013 at 4:04PM     
junipergirl
Solid wood. So I can lean back with my numerous pillows. I had a gothic style iron worked head thingy ( it was a fad) but the pillows kept falling through, my fingers would get snapped off trying to make the bed and the cat got strangulated in the filigree. Solid wood for me!
October 27, 2013 at 8:21PM     
Sigrid
I'm getting my bed custom made with a classic mahogany headboard.
October 28, 2013 at 2:06AM     
gephillips
I have a *faux* antique headboard. Always wanted one like this and finally found the faux one. Looks like an antique iron bed only not rusty and not heavy. No foot board, vintage cedar chest at the foot of the bed.
October 28, 2013 at 11:01AM     
sruggi
My headboard is from Drexel's "Pan Tempo" collection purchased in 1962. I would say "timeless"!
October 28, 2013 at 3:22PM     
felixgrantham
My favorite is ANY headboard that is attached to the wall & doesn't rattle when you turn over in bed. Ours is attached to a cleat (horozontal board) on the wall & it doesn't budge!
October 28, 2013 at 3:53PM     
mdjcreate
I've made headboards out of old doors. They look too aged for my liking so I give them away. I've upholstered headboards, one with the curve at the top and the box one I'm using now. Having said that, I'm making a slip cover for the one I have in my master. I always put a cleat on my head board because that gives you a better opportunity to pull your bed out and clean or flip your mattress.
October 28, 2013 at 6:10PM     
smartin1
We've had a classic iron headboard and low footboard for over 10 years and love it!
October 28, 2013 at 6:44PM     
cmcole1121
I have to vote for the padded upholstered headboard. We have had one for the past 6 months and love it!
October 28, 2013 at 6:52PM     
chloebud
We just purchased new bedroom furniture from Bassett...Cal King bed, dressers, mirror, and nightstands in their Chatham line with a cherry finish. This is the headboard...the bed posters can be converted to low which is what we'll do.
October 28, 2013 at 7:13PM     
condomary
I have just a low wooden headboard. Not what I really like. What I would like are built ins around the bed, like the attached - which I found on Houzz. Probably not white.
October 28, 2013 at 7:57PM     
wwood123
I made a very cool upholstered headboard for my daughter -- gray and tufted w/buttons. Within a month the top of one of the covered buttons disappeared. Any ideas how to fix without completely de-constructing? (Maybe tufted headboards shouldn't have the back enclosed -- especially if it's for a child.)
October 30, 2013 at 5:35AM     
patti mcnab
My husband created this for me - love it.
October 30, 2013 at 6:16AM     
waynefroese
My wife and I wanted an untypical unity symbol for our wedding. I am a timber framer and thought there should be something related to timber frame to represent how we are no longer two anymore. We would build part of our bed of course with a splayed slice joint. The two peaces representing each of us and wedges representing God as He drives us closer together.
At this point the mattress is still on the ground and the head board is there... Just no bed frame. I have great intentions to finish it but it has been there for just over 2 years. At least we have a head board!
October 30, 2013 at 6:29AM     
patti mcnab
My husband made this one as well for our present home...as I can not usually find what I want in stores- he creates my vision for me.
October 30, 2013 at 6:32AM     
Micki
A few months ago we replaced our Ethan Allen wrought iron bed with a tall, padded headboard. I love the look of it with the bookcase surround
October 30, 2013 at 10:40AM     
sguest35
I like to read in bed so like the curve in my headboard. I have seem some designers add padding to the headboard and think this may be a future project. And I also am thinking of cutting off my footboard as we have a smallish rom and I think this would open it up.
October 30, 2013 at 10:56AM     
donnarachel
I plan to do something similar to condomary's idea using Ikea bookcases (the tall skinny ones on each side of my queen size bed) and placing a large version of Gustav Klimt's "Sunflower" painting in the middle directly above the bed (preferably a wall decal). This will compliment my modified-boho choice of decor!
October 30, 2013 at 11:12AM     
trenttart
French antique walnut. Unfortunately these are for smaller beds, so I had mine made from Oregon pine to match other bedroom furniture.
October 30, 2013 at 11:49AM     
Definitely wood.
October 30, 2013 at 11:55AM     
Kyle Pierre
Caste iron
October 30, 2013 at 2:45PM     
Skyler Rosey
I think padded & upholstered are one and the same which is what I have from wayfir.com, Awesome.
October 30, 2013 at 4:13PM     
deebuz4me
Trying to attach a photo. Wish me luck
October 30, 2013 at 6:20PM     
janehowelltwin
We have an almost 40 year Ethan Allen headboard that was so short you couldn't see the headboard for the pillows. My handyman friend matched the cherry and raised the headboard. I love the pattern against the wall. And my husband liked keeping this "antique"!
October 30, 2013 at 6:21PM     
lockhart3vacation
Dark hardwood low profile us my choice
October 30, 2013 at 6:34PM     
condomary
@donnarachel. I'll show you my sunflowers if you will show me yours :-)
October 30, 2013 at 7:21PM     
donnarachel
condomary =- cute! But I don't have my sunflowers yet - waiting to buy the house to put them in (which requires selling our current house first!)!
October 30, 2013 at 7:56PM     
tcalderon
I have always loved all types of wood. It could be unique, bookshelf, hidden storage, shelf, or just a creative design or exceptional looking grain in the wood piece(s).
October 30, 2013 at 10:00PM     
Rebecca Mitchell Interiors & Boutique
I couldn't agree more with the person who wrote: "My favorite is ANY headboard that is attached to the wall & doesn't rattle when you turn over in bed." Wall-mounted headboards are practical and affordable and I'm about to launch an e-boutique online where customers can create their own designs online and we will ship them to you across Canada! Here's a few examples...
October 31, 2013 at 4:42AM     
Rebecca Mitchell Interiors & Boutique
And one more for good luck!
October 31, 2013 at 4:48AM     
meora
I have an iron sleighbed
October 31, 2013 at 6:09AM     
skmom
My husband and I made a headboard last year. We've been married for 20 years, and this is the first headboard we've ever had. I didn't used to mind not having one, but as I'm getting older and have some autoimmune issues I really couldn't handle having my hand accidentally touch a cold wall anymore when I sleep.
We bought a 4x8 sheet of wood, glued some 2" foam to it, covered that in muslin and stapled it to the back, then covered that with a bedspread that I LOVED the color and subtle pattern of but that was really too heavy for me and hurt my feet with its weight, and we stapled that around the back of the wood too. We then attached our massive headboard to the wall using French picture hanger cleat thingies.... So the bed, on a simple frame with a simple bedskirt, can be pushed up towards the wall mounted headboard. It's oversized, and the foam is thick enough that you can't press into it hard enough to feel the wood! And now we have something comfortable to lean against, something that visually anchors the king sized bed in the room, and my fingers NEVER get cold and turn blue anymore simply because I flailed about and my hand ended up resting against a cold wall. :) we spent one afternoon and about $200 on the whole project. (And I got a down comforter for the bed so it's light and fluffy and doesn't press down on my feet too hard)
October 31, 2013 at 12:20PM     
judarb
A tall carved Eastlake headboard, painted silver
October 31, 2013 at 5:28PM     
rubyloves2shop
Love my renaissance style headboard. The bedroom set was our 10 year anniversary gift to ourselves that I will never tire of as it is my favorite piece of furniture still. No matter what bedding I put on it looks great!
October 31, 2013 at 5:36PM     
n247080
Seriously, how did you leave off iron and wood and canopy?
October 31, 2013 at 5:47PM     
deebuz4me
Trying to upload my bed....again
November 1, 2013 at 1:13PM     
Norwood Architects
Padded is great!
November 1, 2013 at 1:37PM     
MacKenzie Webster Interior Solutions
I have a 12' hall runner my mother wove from colorful wool fabrics. It began to fray and I didn't want to ruin it, so I hung it on the wall. The length fits perfectly behind both nightstands. I will enjoy it for years to come now that I don't walk on it anymore. I LOVE the texture and color it adds to my bedroom décor.
November 6, 2013 at 11:17AM     
janehowelltwin
I really like being able to reuse, recycle, things that mean something to you. Very nice.
November 6, 2013 at 2:05PM     
pepermintpatty
I like antique metal/iron
November 6, 2013 at 2:23PM     
happyasaclam
We have a gorgeous Mission style wood headboard and footboard. It's our dream set!
November 6, 2013 at 2:27PM     
rubyloves2shop
hey happyasaclam how bout a pic? Love wood too and mine is my dream set! After all we spend at least 1/3 of our lives in bed why not love what we are sleeping in!? Does anyone else enjoy dressing their bed as much or more than themselves?
November 6, 2013 at 8:02PM     
lucyhomedecor
Many years ago I wanted a brass headboard & my husband got me one for a gift. I know brass isn't in, but I do love it.
November 6, 2013 at 8:13PM     
pepermintpatty
I don.t think brass beds ever go out of style. Yours is very nice
November 6, 2013 at 11:44PM     
armipeg
Low headboard, any style.
November 18, 2013 at 7:46AM     
cerwelt
Dislike cookie cutter looks. Custom made makes it one of a kind.
November 18, 2013 at 11:18AM     
aleskie
All headboards shown are too tall and out of portion with the beds...I prefer lower styles in painted metal or wood that do not become the main focal point of the room.
November 18, 2013 at 5:34PM     
jpand3
This bed has been around forever and I still love it. Since it's only a 3/4 bed, the mattress and boxspring has to be custom made now but the bed is worth it in my opinion
November 18, 2013 at 5:59PM     
Mary Shrewsbury
I love my upholstered tufted headboard
November 18, 2013 at 6:10PM     
Khaanee
We made a shutter headboard to go with my beach theme.
November 18, 2013 at 6:12PM     
eightpondfarm
we have a Persian weaving hung above the head of the bed....it's about 3feet above the mattress. no headboard....just lots of pillows. the best pic i had of the weaving has an unmade bed which i'm not showing!
November 18, 2013 at 6:19PM     
limabean58
We made our headboard ourselves. We had leftover herringbone flooring, used crown molding attached to posts. We love it and it is very heavy and beautiful
November 18, 2013 at 6:23PM     
pepermintpatty
Very pretty classy headboard, and you created a special memory for yourselves
November 18, 2013 at 7:02PM     
solraven
Curved backward, like on a sleigh-bed, so that I can read in bed and not have to keep adjusting the pillows.
November 18, 2013 at 7:54PM     
Cynthia Zamaria
Here's our comfortable, cozy headboard.
November 18, 2013 at 8:00PM     
Stamps Design Services
I have an Ikea Leirvik bed. I have allergies and like having a bed I can easily wipe down, plus I do like the charm of it. My bedroom is in the middle of renovations, so this is from their catalogue :-)
November 18, 2013 at 11:02PM     
solraven
I love the look of upholstered beds, but wouldn't get one because of the dust issue as well. My bedroom has always been the dustiest room in the house. I can only assume it's from the movement of the bed linens, and making up the bed daily.
November 19, 2013 at 12:54AM     
chookchook2
You all have lovely bedrooms. We have a wooden bedroom suite. If anyone could post a link to instructions for making a wood single four poster bed for our daughter , please,I would be grateful; we have a handyman.
November 19, 2013 at 2:22AM     
sunnie2day
Took me a while to find this poll, took me a nanosecond to vote padded! I read in bed, padded+one of those cushy 'granny' bed rest thingies and I'm good.

@Solraven, Hoover is your friend - I have allergies and usually padded headboards would be a huge no. But my trusty Hoover (no, really, it IS a Hoover) has arms - once a week is all it takes to keep the dust down and the padding looking plumped. Diamond tucked, tufted, you name it, a Hoover (with arms, the crevice tool, and an upholstery brush) IS your friend:)

@Chook - try this one:
http://www.finewoodworking.com/woodworking-plans/beds/117638.aspx?channel=12
November 19, 2013 at 2:45AM     
macgrill
I have an upholstered headboard in our guest room. I used a left over curtain panel and painted a discounted headboard from the Bombay Company.

I'm about to redecorate my master bedroom and promised my husband to delete all but two pillows, so I will be reupholstering this headboard as well.
November 19, 2013 at 3:08AM     
macgrill

November 19, 2013 at 3:08AM     
diyher
I like this general style, except for the gold mirror in the center [houzz=
]
November 19, 2013 at 4:19AM     
eightpondfarm
having lived in san francisco for a few decades, i never since been able to have anything too heavy over my head at night {~{earthquakes}~} don't want to get clunked on the noggin
November 19, 2013 at 5:50AM     
PirateFoxy
I have a wooden bookcase headboard. Design-wise it's not super-interesting, but the storage space is really nice. I might do the trick with putting wallpaper or fabric on card to line the bookshelf areas (there is one on either side of two small central drawers) for a little more color.

I got it when I was in a room that didn't really have space on both sides for useful nightstands, and it worked quite well for that.
November 19, 2013 at 6:12AM     
Khaanee
Here is a pic of my shutter headboard. I still need some fluffy pillows, not sure what color yet. The artwork is my own homage to the Pacific Ocean and the inspiration words refer to my life goals. We made the headboard from the inexpensive vinyl shutters mounted to 3/4 plywood then screwed to the wall. I thought maybe we hung them too high, but really have liked the dramatic look as you enter the room, as well as the squeals of delight from everyone when they see the room, lol. still putting it all together before I put it in my ideabook. I love the inspirational wall sayings and have many throughout my home.
November 19, 2013 at 7:02AM     
Studio NOO Design
Here are other ways of having kind of a headboard:
1. fabric on the wall:
Studio NOO Design
2. Indian krafted wood with mother of pearl inserts;
Studio NOO Design's portfolio
November 19, 2013 at 7:08AM     
bears72
Tile headboard? I've seen some pictures on Houzz with them and am thinking of trying to make one as can't have upholstered one due to allergies. Anyone have one?
November 19, 2013 at 2:04PM     
Lisa Lornie
This is the same as my current bed only this one isnt clawed to peaces by my cats!
November 19, 2013 at 4:20PM     
solraven
@sunni, I agree. If I found an upholstered headboard, that I really loved, I would invite my Kirby up on the bed.
November 19, 2013 at 6:54PM     
Beverly Hullender
Right now, I have no headboard because I have no bed. I have no bed because I have no home. I have no home because I don't have an adequate job. I have an inadequate job because I made the wrong choice for all the right reasons. I feel that it was the wrong choice because I gave up what I had to do two things that I thought were the right thing and it has caused me pain beyond words. Sorry for the rant--it just fell out.
November 19, 2013 at 8:20PM     
armygirl1987
This is my lovely bed along with my upholstered headboard.
November 19, 2013 at 8:24PM     
rubyloves2shop
Beverley you have quite a way with words your rant made me wonder... If a headboard you could have would have should have which kind would you should you could you have If you could?
It will get better after all headboards come and go but you will get another so plan for it what will it be?
November 19, 2013 at 8:51PM     
Beverly Hullender
To plan and see what headboards would be...the large upholstered one's for me. In shades of gray which help me sleep, the softness plush I truly see. The chandelier above my bed, would catch my dreams within my head. A guest room wish could be fulfilled with reused doors above the bed. Some satin sheets can always say, "There's nothing less--enjoy your stay!"
November 19, 2013 at 9:59PM     
armygirl1987
Here is a grey headboard for you, price is very low too. Walmart or Wally World depending where in the world are you?
November 19, 2013 at 10:53PM     
rubyloves2shop
Beverly such a way with words Sounds amazing!! Nice ideas Armygirl
I'm off to bed with lots of pillows for my head...
November 19, 2013 at 10:56PM     
adrianne_sterling
I love my tall stately bed! It is grand.
November 19, 2013 at 11:05PM     
Beverly Hullender
@rubyloves2shop; @armygirl1987; I am a "sometimes" fan of Wally World, but would make my own. I love creating/recreating. Being a DIY'er, I could make this for MUCH less than I could probably find one at Wally World even! (Besides, I love power tools and this project uses them quite nicely!) LOL!
November 21, 2013 at 1:08AM     
lzumwi
This bed is incredible. Where did you find it?
November 21, 2013 at 2:29AM     
mcvic3
Always favor wood over padded due to dust mites etc. Just has a warm clean feel to it.
November 21, 2013 at 3:22AM     
armygirl1987
Beverly- it was less than $190 actually.
November 21, 2013 at 4:39AM     
Beverly Hullender
@armygirl1987; That's a great price but saying, "I made it!" is priceless! ; )
November 21, 2013 at 12:09PM     
armygirl1987
Beverly-maybe one day when I grow up and have time I can be able to say I made it, for now I just stick with yardwork, gardening.
November 21, 2013 at 12:17PM     
joannpb
Any headboard with some sort of openwork for me to grab, in my sleep. Since birth, I've always slept with one arm under my head, hand stretched out to grasp the headboard. no hand hold - no sleep.

Two of my past favorites were a huge garden gate and a pair of porch posts with a piece of porch railing between them.
November 21, 2013 at 1:37PM     
Paris Flea
I love mirrored headboards!
November 24, 2013 at 7:02AM   
rosemar85800
I love patterned headboards that are padded. It's nice to lean on something while watching tv in bed or reading a book.
May 28, 2014 at 3:57PM     
D W
I used an old wooden door
June 16, 2014 at 9:23PM     
bgfuqua
Victorian antique.
June 16, 2014 at 9:29PM     
What color will you NEVER find in your house?
It's usually pretty easy to tell the colors that people...
Living room needed
I would like help designing my living room. It is 19'...
Advice needed for new Kitchen
We are building a new home and like the idea of window's...
Need help with this master bedroom redecorating
We are so excited to get to redecorate. Does the picture...