German Ceramic Heaters
alphonseuss
October 24, 2013 in Other
Are there still some of those HUGE German Ceramic Heaters available?... they were used with wood and covered with ceramic or tile.

Once they got going they really made a place warm
unwantedadvice
I have seen these types of heaters and think some are so beautiful. Embarrassed to admit I don't really know how they work and why ceramic? :)
October 25, 2013 at 12:41am        Thanked by alphonseuss
alphonseuss
Thank you for your reply.

The first time I ever saw one was several years ago in a house in a town called Greifswald. I clearly recollect I saw this monster of a piece which stood, at least, 6' tall, when I couldn't resist and asked "what is that"... "a heater" he answered, unfortunately I never asked how it worked or shamelessly fidgeted as I do today in order to understand an interesting piece.

That piece stuck in my mind all this time and now I'm interested in purchasing one.

I also don't know why ceramic...
October 25, 2013 at 8:54am   
unwantedadvice
And I thought you would give me the answer!! I guess we'll have to google them and learn something new. :))
October 25, 2013 at 11:27am     
I see them in Europe and in Germany from time to time. There are modern versions for sale, but you might have to search a little harder to get more traditional versions.
October 25, 2013 at 11:14pm        Thanked by alphonseuss
alphonseuss
I imagined so. Surely, whenever the time comes, I'll keep an much more open eye for these when I take a trip to Germany.
The traditional ones are beautiful and I've noticed they tend to be in that very dark green grandmothers used to have in their homes, but I'm sure that they can work quite well with more contemporary colors and decor around a house.
October 30, 2013 at 10:58am   
alphonseuss
Just found these two websites where these heaters are explained... seems that they're not "ceramic" heaters but ["masonry" heaters] or ["masonry" stoves]... although they did use to cover them up with tile and ceramic.

Masonry Heaters http://www.inspirationgreen.com/masonry-heaters.html

Sunbathing in the living room: oven stoves and heat walls http://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2008/12/tile-stoves.html
November 4, 2013 at 3:42pm     
unwantedadvice
@alphonseuss, thanks for the websites. I had not investigated yet so will be nice reading later tonight. :))
November 4, 2013 at 4:52pm        Thanked by alphonseuss
midmodfan
They are called 'Kachelofen' which means a tiled stove. These stoves do exist until today and have actually had quite a revival in recent years due to high energy prices. They can be either rustic or modern, built-in or freestanding, some are even antique.
November 5, 2013 at 9:47am        Thanked by alphonseuss
unwantedadvice
midmodfan, yes, they are very interesting. Some are just beautiful and I see them once in awhile on HGTV's "House Hunters International". Check out both of the websites alphonseuss put up. I read one last night, they are super efficient and do not use as much wood or make the pollution like a conventional fireplace as we have in the states.
November 5, 2013 at 10:03am        Thanked by alphonseuss
alphonseuss
midmodfan: Thank you for the info!... You just made me a very happy guy!... That's the precise term I needed. Now my search has turned easier and have already been looking into it.
unwantedadvice: Glad you liked the links.
November 6, 2013 at 11:50am     
bubblyjock
There's a young woman who makes them pretty much from scratch in Western Ontario, and will ship anywhere, I think. Not cheap, but omg gorgeous, and there's one for sale in Toronto (the ad mentions the young woman):
http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-home-appliances-stoves-ovens-ranges-FUNCTIONAL-Antique-European-Ceramic-Oven-Featured-in-Vogue-W0QQAdIdZ538941307
November 6, 2013 at 2:32pm        Thanked by alphonseuss
bubblyjock
Even better, the maker is a Houzz pro! Just found her by googling Kitchener kachelofen - gotta love Houzz's ongoing steamy affair with Google:
http://www.houzz.com/pro/jessica-steinhauser/jessica-steinhuser-kachelfen

I first read about them on Remodelista, goodness they're beautiful:
http://www.remodelista.com/posts/design-sleuth-traditional-swedish-tiled-stoves
November 6, 2013 at 2:34pm        Thanked by alphonseuss
alphonseuss
WOW!... they are pricey.
I was looking at some German websites with very reasonable prices. Still gotta research how much shipping would go for... winter's already here, so I'm giving myself 6 months before I make a final purchase so that such a large piece fits perfectly. Definitely these Kachelofens are an eye catcher to anyone entering a room.
Thanks for the info, bubblyjock :-D
November 6, 2013 at 3:40pm     
Jessica Steinhäuser, Kachelöfen
Hallo, my name is Jessica, and I do make Kachelöfen. They do not have to be huge. This one in my profile is 60 cm by 55 cm footprint.
June 10, 2014 at 11:54am        Thanked by alphonseuss
Jessica Steinhäuser, Kachelöfen
Yes, they are pricy. I do make each Kachel by hand. It is not a flat tile, but a hollow brick made out of clay.
June 10, 2014 at 11:55am        Thanked by alphonseuss
Jessica Steinhäuser, Kachelöfen
here are two little documentary to see how I make the kacheln, and the other vimeo is what is involved for installing a Kachelofen.

June 10, 2014 at 12:13pm        Thanked by alphonseuss
Jessica Steinhäuser, Kachelöfen
I regular mason is not able to install a Kachelofen. You will need to have a professional Hafner and have it installed. Even if you get the Kacheln from Germany.
June 10, 2014 at 12:21pm     
Ceramic heater
Can this be purchased in Canada?
Anyone know what a German Shrunk is and, if so....
Has anyone ever incorporated pieces of furniture into...
Help me turn my 1920 craftsman into a Bavarian German style
I am looking for decorating ideas from a traditional...
Where can I find German Antique Glass?
Where can I find German Antique Glass? We live in...
need help with choosing a colour to paint wardrobe in master bedroom
I have mirrored bedside tables and a mirored dressing...
Design challenge, planning around weight bearing walls.
Just purchased a new home and looking to redo the current...
Decorating Advise for Dinning Room.
I'd like to start a clean slate with my dining room....
What to do With the Wood Panel Doors and Trim?
My husband and I bought our first house last year,...