German Ceramic Heaters
alphonseuss
October 24, 2013 in Other
Are there still some of those HUGE German Ceramic Heaters available?... they were used with wood and covered with ceramic or tile.

Once they got going they really made a place warm
unwantedadvice
I have seen these types of heaters and think some are so beautiful. Embarrassed to admit I don't really know how they work and why ceramic? :)
1 Like   Thanked by alphonseuss    October 25, 2013 at 12:41AM
alphonseuss
Thank you for your reply.

The first time I ever saw one was several years ago in a house in a town called Greifswald. I clearly recollect I saw this monster of a piece which stood, at least, 6' tall, when I couldn't resist and asked "what is that"... "a heater" he answered, unfortunately I never asked how it worked or shamelessly fidgeted as I do today in order to understand an interesting piece.

That piece stuck in my mind all this time and now I'm interested in purchasing one.

I also don't know why ceramic...
0 Likes   October 25, 2013 at 8:54AM
unwantedadvice
And I thought you would give me the answer!! I guess we'll have to google them and learn something new. :))
1 Like   October 25, 2013 at 11:27AM
I see them in Europe and in Germany from time to time. There are modern versions for sale, but you might have to search a little harder to get more traditional versions.
1 Like   Thanked by alphonseuss    October 25, 2013 at 11:14PM
alphonseuss
I imagined so. Surely, whenever the time comes, I'll keep an much more open eye for these when I take a trip to Germany.
The traditional ones are beautiful and I've noticed they tend to be in that very dark green grandmothers used to have in their homes, but I'm sure that they can work quite well with more contemporary colors and decor around a house.
0 Likes   October 30, 2013 at 10:58AM
alphonseuss
Just found these two websites where these heaters are explained... seems that they're not "ceramic" heaters but ["masonry" heaters] or ["masonry" stoves]... although they did use to cover them up with tile and ceramic.

Masonry Heaters http://www.inspirationgreen.com/masonry-heaters.html

Sunbathing in the living room: oven stoves and heat walls http://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2008/12/tile-stoves.html
1 Like   November 4, 2013 at 3:42PM
unwantedadvice
@alphonseuss, thanks for the websites. I had not investigated yet so will be nice reading later tonight. :))
1 Like   Thanked by alphonseuss    November 4, 2013 at 4:52PM
midmodfan
They are called 'Kachelofen' which means a tiled stove. These stoves do exist until today and have actually had quite a revival in recent years due to high energy prices. They can be either rustic or modern, built-in or freestanding, some are even antique.
1 Like   Thanked by alphonseuss    November 5, 2013 at 9:47AM
unwantedadvice
midmodfan, yes, they are very interesting. Some are just beautiful and I see them once in awhile on HGTV's "House Hunters International". Check out both of the websites alphonseuss put up. I read one last night, they are super efficient and do not use as much wood or make the pollution like a conventional fireplace as we have in the states.
1 Like   Thanked by alphonseuss    November 5, 2013 at 10:03AM
alphonseuss
midmodfan: Thank you for the info!... You just made me a very happy guy!... That's the precise term I needed. Now my search has turned easier and have already been looking into it.
unwantedadvice: Glad you liked the links.
1 Like   November 6, 2013 at 11:50AM
bubblyjock
There's a young woman who makes them pretty much from scratch in Western Ontario, and will ship anywhere, I think. Not cheap, but omg gorgeous, and there's one for sale in Toronto (the ad mentions the young woman):
http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-home-appliances-stoves-ovens-ranges-FUNCTIONAL-Antique-European-Ceramic-Oven-Featured-in-Vogue-W0QQAdIdZ538941307
1 Like   Thanked by alphonseuss    November 6, 2013 at 2:32PM
bubblyjock
Even better, the maker is a Houzz pro! Just found her by googling Kitchener kachelofen - gotta love Houzz's ongoing steamy affair with Google:
http://www.houzz.com/pro/jessica-steinhauser/jessica-steinhuser-kachelfen

I first read about them on Remodelista, goodness they're beautiful:
http://www.remodelista.com/posts/design-sleuth-traditional-swedish-tiled-stoves
1 Like   Thanked by alphonseuss    November 6, 2013 at 2:34PM
alphonseuss
WOW!... they are pricey.
I was looking at some German websites with very reasonable prices. Still gotta research how much shipping would go for... winter's already here, so I'm giving myself 6 months before I make a final purchase so that such a large piece fits perfectly. Definitely these Kachelofens are an eye catcher to anyone entering a room.
Thanks for the info, bubblyjock :-D
2 Likes   November 6, 2013 at 3:40PM
Jessica Steinhäuser, Kachelöfen
Hallo, my name is Jessica, and I do make Kachelöfen. They do not have to be huge. This one in my profile is 60 cm by 55 cm footprint.
2 Likes   Thanked by alphonseuss    June 10, 2014 at 11:54AM
Jessica Steinhäuser, Kachelöfen
Yes, they are pricy. I do make each Kachel by hand. It is not a flat tile, but a hollow brick made out of clay.
2 Likes   Thanked by alphonseuss    June 10, 2014 at 11:55AM
Jessica Steinhäuser, Kachelöfen
here are two little documentary to see how I make the kacheln, and the other vimeo is what is involved for installing a Kachelofen.

1 Like   Thanked by alphonseuss    June 10, 2014 at 12:13PM
Jessica Steinhäuser, Kachelöfen
I regular mason is not able to install a Kachelofen. You will need to have a professional Hafner and have it installed. Even if you get the Kacheln from Germany.
1 Like   June 10, 2014 at 12:21PM
mjskr2
We have an antique kacholofen for sale. If you are interested and would like to see pictures email me at rutzhouse@gmail.com
0 Likes   September 27, 2014 at 6:14PM
Ceramic heater
Can this be purchased in Canada?
Donna
Building a a German home in a little German Village in Reimholds pa
Just started building and would like to share pictures...
ciona
Help me turn my 1920 craftsman into a Bavarian German style
I am looking for decorating ideas from a traditional...
Lisa Vorwerk
Where can I find German Antique Glass?
Where can I find German Antique Glass? We live in...
Florence Bortz
German Roller Blinds
I bought a home with German Roller blinds and I am...
Nina Beamon
rredpenn
Combining metal finishes in kitchen
I have stainless appliances/sink, copper accents (including...
midrashist
looking
looking for a ceiling chandlier to go over a ping pong...
zdc properties
Blinds White or Expresso
Having a hard time deciding between White or Expresso...
blackhawks2000
Need Advice for ceiling colour
I'm trying to decide if I should make the ceilings...
Lila Cormier