What to do in this empty space
lkitty
This is a large space adjacent to family room area and dining area. I had the dining table there at one point, but put it back to the space designed as dining room. In some of these models, there is a wall dividing the two spaces, we obviously don't have that wall. Any suggestions?
HERE Design and Architecture
If you don't need a study or library area, you might just put a second more intimate seating area there.
October 24, 2013 at 10:37pm        Thanked by lkitty
Luxe Water Walls
You could add a large water wall on that wall and place seating in front of it
October 24, 2013 at 10:59pm        Thanked by lkitty
Verda Bradford
Maybe a nice picture above a bar cart and a plant in a beautiful glazed pot next to the window.
October 24, 2013 at 11:05pm      Thanked by lkitty
unwantedadvice
Well, I think the dog knows what to do with the space! I agree about making it a conversation area with two cushy, upholstered chairs with cute table between. Floor lamp, or larger table with nice lamp. Something that takes you away from the tv area. Nice rug underneath.

You have a nice area with great looking furniture. I especially like the buffet in the dining room. :)
October 24, 2013 at 11:07pm        Thanked by lkitty
chotushkon
i think you could use the wall as your family photo gallery,photographs may be hung on wall or a floating shelf can be made to rest the family photographs.
October 24, 2013 at 11:17pm      Thanked by lkitty
lkitty
Seating area is what I thought, but then, wondering if the seating area should be in that space where the dining table is now. A little cozy nook.

And, I will need to move the 2 ottomans because that is where I will need to put my husbands comfy chair. By the way, any suggestions for a swivel recliner, contemporaryish for a big guy?

And, where would you put the ottomans.

Finally, any color ideas for art and/or area rugs?

I do have some very colorful paintings that I can move to the house.
October 25, 2013 at 12:40pm     
HERE Design and Architecture
Seating in the nook would be good too. I think I would experiment with salon-hanging your artwork. The space is monochromatic and the artwork is fairly delicate-looking so making a large group might help.
October 25, 2013 at 12:47pm      Thanked by lkitty
Cancork Floor Inc.
A reading nook. Add some low profile shelving to the long wall (where the dog is). Put in a nice, modern looking wing chair (gray fabric or deep coloured leather) angled into the corner, and an ottoman. Add a low shelving unit for under the window and that becomes the "side table" (all reading nooks need side tables). A rug underneath the chair/ottoman and you are done like dinner.

A reading nook right beside a window looks very natural. Lighting can be an industrial lamp that is hung from the ceiling (would really work with your interior). A purple carriage blanket would add some colour to the space without making it permanent.
October 25, 2013 at 12:58pm      Thanked by lkitty
indianpatti
Use it as a conversation area ... round table & 4 club chairs. Great for pre-dinner drinks/appetizers.
October 25, 2013 at 1:14pm        Thanked by lkitty
unwantedadvice
Inkitty, I like your idea of moving dining table back to where your doggie is resting and using that space as you suggested. Love the art pic you provided and especially that mirror! Also like indianpatti's idea for area with four chairs and table. Have fun moving things about.

I would look on Lazy-Boy website for recliner hubby would like but I imagine you would want to actually sit in one first to see how comfortable it is. That is my dilemma with ordering any chairs, upholstered furniture on-line. What if it wasn't comfortable? :))
October 25, 2013 at 1:35pm      Thanked by lkitty
unwantedadvice
Sorry, ikitty, silly auto-correct with your username!
October 25, 2013 at 1:36pm      Thanked by lkitty
lkitty
I love the indianpatti conversation area, salon-style for the artwork. Sadly my dog, Monty, has passed away.
the larger, really colorful painting is 60 wide by 40 high. Should it be the same width as the table or bench it hangs above?
The two square ottomans, where else is a good place to put them? Right now they are next to the sectional, but I need a chair there...
October 25, 2013 at 6:03pm   
lkitty
in the living room where the leather sectional is located, I need a swivel recliner for my husband. One option is it in the corner of the arrangement where the two ottomans are now. The other option I was thinking of was to place the sectional such that the long side is perpendicular to the long wall, facing the sliders so that the short side faces the TV. Then, put the swivel recliner in the in the space that the ell of the couch occupies now. Does that make sense?

Another option is to move all the furniture that is now in that space to the other side of the room. Any thoughts?
October 27, 2013 at 5:38pm   
unwantedadvice
Ikitty, I think your first suggestion for moving the sectional sounds okay, so go ahead and move it and see how much room that will leave for the swivel recliner. Should leave quite a bit of space, I think. Not following your second idea, however. You want to move which furniture to where?
October 27, 2013 at 10:53pm      Thanked by lkitty
unwantedadvice
Re-reading some of your comments. The art should not be wider than the piece it is over. Could the two ottomans, since they appear small, move to either side of tv console? Then perhaps they could be pulled out for extra seating.
October 27, 2013 at 10:58pm      Thanked by lkitty
lkitty
Flip the sectional 90 degrees ; then the second idea was to move the sectional to the other side of the room where the dog is. I'll have to play around with arrangements of the different pieces. I can probably use the bombe chest in a few places.

The ceilings are 9 feet i think and the wall unit doesn't go very high. Any suggestions as to what I could put above it. Or leave it blank and put art elsewhere?
October 28, 2013 at 5:53pm   
lkitty
If I put the ottomans on either side of the wall unit, I guess that I'd move the side table, might be crowded in that space with both.

I'd like to introduce some pops of color. Not sure where to put that 40 x 60 wall very colorful painting...
October 28, 2013 at 5:57pm   
Laurence Tillett
Since we live in a condo I'm always looking for ways to maximize storage. On that big blank wall, I'd do one of two things...either a large floor-to-ceiling built-in wall unit ( with shelves and closed storage)...or a large console/buffet type piece, then a large mirror or painting over that.
October 28, 2013 at 6:48pm      Thanked by lkitty
unwantedadvice
ikitty, the only thing I worry about is if you move the sectional to where dog is, what will go in its place? BTW, your dog looked nice. Sorry he is no longer with you.

Also, forgot about end table. Gosh, I am super confused right now as to what you should do. Your art needs to be out and seen as well.

Perhaps you should get the recliner first and maybe rotate the sectional and see how that works before you move it into other area. Good luck. :))
October 28, 2013 at 9:58pm      Thanked by lkitty
lkitty
Does anyone have any ideas for area rug, keeping the large colorful painting in mind as that will likely be hung somewhere. Don't know where yet.
October 29, 2013 at 10:20am   
Keesee and Associates, Inc.
Have you consider using the furniture of the new conversation area to bring some color to the room, or maybe even use color on one of the walls as an accent? We put some pictures below that show some of them... We are also showing some different configurations with different levels of organization of the space...

The four club chairs create a more formal conversation area. The one with the lounge chair provides a softer transition between the two seating areas that would be created. It provides for a more casual atmosphere. The use of the sofa on the other option creates a homier feel.

We are not sure how you use your space, but based on your 8 seat dining room it seems entertaining is a goal. Think of how you will want your guests to relate before creating the seating areas. Hope this helps! You have a great room and great pieces. We are sure it will turn out great!
[houzz=Classic Transitional]
[houzz=Nob Hill Pied-a-Terre]
[houzz=Suburban Bliss]
October 29, 2013 at 11:29am      Thanked by lkitty
sunnydrew
I would create another seating area with a place to take a nap in the sun. It looks like your dog is waiting for the sun to move around a bit more then he will lay back for a snooze.
October 29, 2013 at 11:37am      Thanked by lkitty
leelee
I was just going to say another seating arrangement with two chairs and a table between. You would need a large painting to go there with the chairs. Maybe a smaller rug to anchor the space.
October 29, 2013 at 12:53pm      Thanked by lkitty
leelee
I think that rug may be too much with the chairs!
October 29, 2013 at 12:54pm      Thanked by lkitty
leelee
A table between the chairs slightly angled in.
October 29, 2013 at 12:56pm      Thanked by lkitty
Sudbury Home Improvement
I feel like the living room is so empty and the kitchen is so overused for certain things. If it were me, I would put a couple of cabinets with a coffee maker there. It is so much easier to get to it without having to go into the kitchen. That is an idea I have because I am from a different part of the world where we do that in the living rooms. A little area for refreshments. With a nice picture, of course. :)
October 29, 2013 at 1:01pm      Thanked by lkitty
Why don't you put TV on big wall use the whole room. Why is everything on one end? Area rug by sofa. Then a cow hide In front of TV. Would be fun and modern Ikea sells. A bigger taller longer media in dark wood. Would fill that wall. adding potted palms in corners helps and add texture.
October 29, 2013 at 1:07pm      Thanked by lkitty
Cyndi S.
the dining table could go back where you had it and you could use the area for the dining room table is now for a small tasteful looking computer room but what bothers me the most is why is every piece of furniture you all on crammed in one space it looks like you can't even move around in there so by moving some of the furniture around and adding a few things towards the other side of the empty room would make it look beautiful there's so much sunshine over in that area that if you don't want to move your dining room table you could get a few chairs and hey nice and table or coffee table to put books and magazines on and have a place to read and relax in the Sun Shine I was still move around some of the furniture you have so crammed in that one area I'm not being insulting just trying to give you an idea I hope I have helped
October 29, 2013 at 1:09pm      Thanked by lkitty
Or use media you have will work too. In dining area your mirror too small. Get a taller 6 ft in dark wood or silver Ikea sells a nice one. Need vertical on that wall. Bar stools not style of room. Get more modern contemporary, black with chrome. Or go a color in leather like red. Add color pillows in black and white chevron print.
October 29, 2013 at 1:10pm      Thanked by lkitty
Area rug by sofa good add colorful pots in red to end table mix with black.
October 29, 2013 at 1:11pm      Thanked by lkitty
In hall add 2 zebra square ottomans under it. red tall pots to one end.
October 29, 2013 at 1:12pm      Thanked by lkitty
Add a big art piece over hall table or the mirror from dining area to finish look.
October 29, 2013 at 1:13pm      Thanked by lkitty
A big 40x40 colorful contemporary art on wall by table hang very low. Z Galleries has nice ones. Any color just bold.
October 29, 2013 at 1:14pm      Thanked by lkitty
Add zebra throw to sofa. Let hang over back.
October 29, 2013 at 1:15pm      Thanked by lkitty
anne dee
Maybe this reference link can be an inspiration

October 29, 2013 at 1:30pm      Thanked by lkitty
lkitty
Any thoughts about moving dining table to the side of the room where the couch and tv unit are now?
October 29, 2013 at 3:08pm   
lkitty
I've made some furniture mistakes already, but need to make the best of it. Maybe in time I can replace the bar stools. One of the problems (not sure it is a problem), is that I purchased the kitchen set using the same metal and fabric as on the stools.

The room does look unbalanced only because right now everything is at one end. I plan to take away one of the end tables, the white ottomans can go somewhere else. I can flip the sectional 90 degrees and pull it out to make that side of the room longer, that would section off the two spaces as the back of the couch would act as a divider. Not sure how that would look.

All of your comments and photos are opening me up to new and different ideas.
October 29, 2013 at 5:46pm   
unwantedadvice
lkitty, those pics above are so nice. Really gives one a better perspective of the room and size. I agree, move the furniture about and see how you like a different arrangement.

Honestly though, seeing the space from the new pics,you can easily add another seating area in blank spot. I guess I kind of like the sectional where it is now because everyone who sits at bar or eat-in can see tv if necessary.

Don't worry about the bar stools, they go with other table and chairs. Gives some cohesion to space at that end. You really have a nice floor plan. Lots of space. :)
October 29, 2013 at 9:19pm      Thanked by lkitty
Now that I see room. Move the sofa and float 3-4 ft area where dog is. big art on that wall behind. With rug and coffee table.
October 29, 2013 at 9:27pm      Thanked by lkitty
Leave TV where it is a dd 2 big modern chairs that are really recliners. Lazy boy carries, plus Room & Board in Calif.
October 29, 2013 at 9:29pm      Thanked by lkitty
There isn't Ot much room between bar stools and sofa.
Angelina Vick
Hi, you have a very lovely space. A little bit of color...and it will feel warmer and more personal.

Because you have such a neutral palette...you can really bring in whatever colors you want.
I would definitely recommend a few oversized pieces of art...because you have big, blank walls. A well placed mirror will be good to add too, just make sure it reflects something interesting in it.

Feel free to check out my work for some inspiration. If you see something in particular you like, I can help you work out sizes, type of print, etc. angelinavick@ymail.com
http://angelina-vick.artistwebsites.com/index.html
October 29, 2013 at 9:30pm      Thanked by lkitty
lkitty
If I were to transfer the couch to the empty side of the room, kept the TV and unit where it is, got a couple recliners or lounge chairs (pretty cool idea), how would I arrange them? Angled, keep coffee table? use the two ottomans I already have, etc...???
October 30, 2013 at 6:26am   
lkitty
fabric or leather?
October 30, 2013 at 6:28am   
Lumar Interiors
My first thought was a home office space incorporating bookshelves, desk, chair.
Or a secondary sitting area with an upholstered back bench against the far wall and 2 chairs across from it. Great for predinner drinks or a reading nook. Looks like a great space!
October 30, 2013 at 6:34am      Thanked by lkitty
unwantedadvice
I am up early today so will see if brain is functioning yet. If you move sectional, do you still want to view tv from there? Yes, keep coffee table with couch. It is so cool looking.

New chairs would be in front of tv and I would angle them towards each other a bit with one of your end tables between. The other end table could be against wall by sectional. The two ottomans under window?

I am the type of person who has to physically move furniture about to see which arrangement would look the best. Should be fun though, wish I could help! Post pics.
October 30, 2013 at 6:49am      Thanked by lkitty
unwantedadvice
As far as fabric or leather, that is up to you. You already know how leather feels. Perhaps one solid leather recliner and one in nice fabric print to bring in some color and texture.
October 30, 2013 at 6:52am        Thanked by lkitty
Brittany Bennett
You could hang a big painting. There's an iPad app called ARTtwo50 that helps you choose original art that actually fits the color of your walls. All you do is take a picture of your wall and then the app allows you to scroll through countless paintings so see which one would look best. It's pretty fun to play with. Hope this helps!
October 31, 2013 at 3:31pm      Thanked by lkitty
Ahmad Reyaz
i want to see the best designe for windows,like full and arch
November 22, 2013 at 11:53am      Thanked by lkitty
Glass Tile Store
I agree with indianpatti, it will work grat as a conversation area. Imagine having tea under that natural light, just wonderful :)
November 26, 2013 at 11:00pm      Thanked by lkitty
Gina Perillo
If you are considering hanging original art take a look at my Etsy Shop - I offer abstract original paintings- I am also always happy to create custom pieces to fit your space. Which by the way, you have a BEAUTIFUL space to work with ~ Feel free to contact me with any questions. Cheers !
https://www.etsy.com/shop/GPerillo?ref=si_shop
December 1, 2013 at 8:33am      Thanked by lkitty
lkitty
Question - what size should ceiling fan be in an 11 x 12 room?
December 6, 2013 at 6:35pm   
unwantedadvice
Hi ikitty! If you google, what size ceiling fan should I buy, a bunch of guides will come up. You have to measure the room and ceiling height, etc. I can't post other sites as I am tech challenged! Hope you can figure it out. One of the sites could have a guide with different room sizes listed. Good luck. Post pics when you can. :))
December 6, 2013 at 10:18pm      Thanked by lkitty
Keesee and Associates, Inc.
lkitty, I'd probably choose a 36" - 42" fan for a room that size. I wouldn't go bigger than 42", though. Hope that helps!
December 9, 2013 at 6:09am      Thanked by lkitty
360 Design
kitty if you like I can send you a few photos of what your walls could look like using my new design product. Take a look at what I can offer you, keep in mind that we can cut these panels to fit any room or go around any corner. Thank you
December 9, 2013 at 7:48am      Thanked by lkitty
For a small room choose a small fan.
December 9, 2013 at 8:34am      Thanked by lkitty
CertaPro Painters of North San Diego
Wow, a ton of great ideas on this discussion. My 2 cents would be use color on several of the walls to accent many of the great ideas that you have received.
December 9, 2013 at 8:58am      Thanked by lkitty
Angelina Vick
How is is going Ikitty? =)
December 16, 2013 at 11:09am      Thanked by lkitty
lkitty
A few more photos of what I'm in the middle of doing... And is the scale of the dark brown chair too large?
December 23, 2013 at 6:52pm     
KShoa
Looks great so far! I think having a second seating area away from the TV may be your best bet. I'd move the dining area to the empty space, and put the seating area where the dining room is now. That way, the two seating areas are somewhat separated from each other.

If you're looking for artwork for you large walls, check out my work. I have many originals, and hundreds of configurations of canvas prints that I can print to the size you choose - some of them very large.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/katshoa

Enjoy decorating!
December 24, 2013 at 10:42am   
lkitty
I have a new rug in the living room area. And what does anyone think of the larger scale dark brown chair (comfortable place for my husband to sit - but not my favorite,,,) does it work at all? Or is it too large a chair? Also, what about the rug? And what would you do for lighting since the furniture floats, and end table is in precarious place (a lamp could easily be knocked over??)
January 12, 2014 at 8:33am     
lkitty
Dining area - with this dining room set, the light fixture is off center, seems wrong in every way, so I want to install recessed lighting, but not sure where to put them and how many...
January 12, 2014 at 8:42am   
Joanne Maurer
I wish I could come there and really see the space. Personally i think i would flip your rooms...put the dining table near the kitchen ....move your TV to that wall and have a seating area down there. You could get a rug for the dining room or use the living room rug

Get some one to remove that light fixture for now. You can make that area where the dining room an area with a desk a chair or something like that.
January 12, 2014 at 8:53am      Thanked by lkitty
lkitty
Tried that but the kitchen/living room is kind of a great room - and if the one long room is used for seating, it is contiguous, Tried both/all configurations
January 12, 2014 at 10:06am   
Joanne Maurer
It is hard to help when i can't see it. I would try and call a local professional stager. They don't charge much and can be very helpful. I see from you other pictures that you have another eating area so that would probably look crazy with the dining room there....this is a tough one. Nice house
January 12, 2014 at 10:55am      Thanked by lkitty
What to do with an empty space that isn't 'designated' for anything..
We have an entry way with a short hallway that leads...
what would you do with the empty space ?
Okay, just purchased this place and the guest bathroom...
Empty space | what to do?
What would you do with this space? It's a pass through...
What to do with empty space near fireplace?
Just moved in to a new place that has a large fireplace...
What to do with empty space next to the hood?
Hi. I am almost done remodeling my kitchen. For some...
Desperately needing a focal point
The furniture that I thought I'd lost a shot at reappeared...
How many Euro pillows should go on a king bed?
We're going from a queen to a king and I'm not sure...
need help in my kitchen
My floors cannot be changed, they are terra stone....
Recessed Toilet Paper Holder or No?
We are remodeling our original master bath from the...
Need help selecting wall to wall carpet for my living room!
Carpet needs to be replaced! Already 10 years old &...