POLL: Favorite Kitchen Tile?
Houzz Polls
October 25, 2013 in Polls
What's your favorite tile for your kitchen?

Vote for your choice! To enter the drawing to win your very own pair of Houzz Slippers! Post a comment telling us what tile you currently have in your kitchen (feel free to share your photos too!) and you will automatically be entered into the drawing.

Watch the video below to see what the slippers look like! :)

*One entry per person, per drawing. Entries must be posted before 12:00am Pacific Time 11/3/2013. One winner will be drawn at random.

Mirror Tile
Diagonal Tile
Large Pattern Tile
Subway Tile
Herringbone Tile
Custom Mosaic Tile
Other - Tell us Below!
Patti
love all the types but subway I would be able to live with for a long time!
1 Like   October 27, 2013 at 6:53AM
jennybeanie
I love subway tile in a kitchen! Currently, my kitchen is so outdated, we have no tile.
4 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 6:53AM
nikkikaharacoleman
I have old white tiles with fruit patterns, saving up to complete a DIY project of subway tile.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 6:59AM
Simon Briggs
Subway with dark grout
1 Like   October 27, 2013 at 6:59AM
westcoastsider
I am in the process of selecting tile for a kitchen remodel and have spent many hours looking at Houzz kitchens to decide what to do for back splash and counters. I have a 100 year old Craftsman bungalow and I am opening the kitchen up and want to maintain the same arts and crafts look. I like simple and uncluttered design which is probably why I bought this house to begin with. I think the counters and back splash are what define the look of a kitchen so I've compromised elsewhere in the renovation in order to afford exactly what I want. I am going with handmade tile by Fire Clay as the colors are just exquisite and it was easy to find the earth like colors that fit the Craftsman style. I chose Vitrail series and will pair it with quartz counters.
1 Like   October 27, 2013 at 7:01AM
Jackie Clark
LOVE the tried and true look of the herringbone...even more so when done with subway tiles and darker grout!!
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 7:03AM
sbfigel
Subway or herringbone. Everything else would be hard to clean and that mosaic motif looks dated.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 7:03AM
Juana Franklin
Mirror Tiles add bling to bar back splashes
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 7:05AM
betsy2012
I used a glossy crema marfil marble tile on the diagonal and inset smaller granite tiles that matched my countertop (13 years ago). I still like it. The picture does not do it justice as it does not capture the soft movement and richness of the marble (I posted acloser photo a few comments down)
3 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 7:07AM
julieauger
I voted for the subway tile mostly because it doesnt over take the other design elements allowing for splashes of color and uniqueness elsewhere. A small section of tile can even be reserved for a mosaic or such.
1 Like   October 27, 2013 at 7:07AM
olldcan
The marble herribone is fabulous and i'll have that or back painted glass installed in our new home, decisions, decisions. Currently I have a full granite backsplash.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 7:08AM
sharonniaky
I find that a classic background is the perfect canvas for any style of furniture, and easy to change accessories!
1 Like   October 27, 2013 at 7:09AM
Joan Walker
Because our cooktop is in our island, I had more flexibility on tile choices. I am using glossy porcelain penny tiles in a neutral tone to blend with my Eco "Luna" countertop.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 7:10AM
rkcameron
Tough choices! I went with herringbone - a more cheeky take than subway or diagonal, but with the same advantages.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 7:10AM
betsy2012
closer
5 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 7:15AM
Donna
We have been contemplating for a year now on what to use as a backsplash in our small kitchen. The mirror backsplash is very interesting and may help make it appear a little larger ha! I also liked the stylized mosaic but I think it a bit much for our small kitchen. Any advise would be appreciated.
1 Like   October 27, 2013 at 7:19AM
amysinnott
Subway tile is a great classic, but high ceilings and great lighting gives you a lot more options!!
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 7:20AM
sunnie2day
When (if) we ever find the right home to buy for our retirement we're gutting kitchen and baths.

Tile in the bath - big stonking ones at least 10x12! For the kitchen, lol, a more restrained diagonal but over the cooker I want a mosiac - I'll have a Tuscan or French country scene, please, protected by a glass splash-back.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 7:21AM
Christine Kirby
Subway tile, classic and timeless, is my favorite. I also want to have the telephone booth in my houzz; must start working on that. I'd do it in blue.
1 Like   October 27, 2013 at 7:21AM
robinu1010
Looking at the kitchens pictured, my vote is "subway tile" based on the following reasons: 1. Using squares on the diagonal have been around for a long time and are classic, but to me, are too dark with that color cabinetry. 2. The mosaic is exquisite, but is too busy behind the stove. A friend used mosaic behind her stove very effectively, but it was a simple design framed by the same neutral color used for the rest of her backsplash. I once saw a stove with high quality mirror tile (6x6) that was functional, elegant, and auspicious (feng shui). 3. Herringbone is beautiful on the floor as a "runner or rug." I also like it as a design element when it is the focal point, but on this vertical space with the up and down lines of cabinetry, it's beauty is lost. 4. Small mirrored tile was effectively used in the kitchen pictured, but it's a very specific look. In this case it echoes the glass cabinet doors and glass table, as well as, reflecting the lighting fixture. Beautifully done, but not for everyone. 4. The large design tile featured recalls a "retro" look, that I'd personally rather leave in that period. In conclusion, and this is nothing more than my personal opinion, the subway tile is timeless, classic, and may be used in any material (marble, stone, porcelain, ceramic, etc.). A mosaic or another material may also be incorporated as an additional design element. Subway tile gets my vote!
2 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 7:22AM
Cheryl Beaton
Subway tile is beautiful, like it a lot
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 7:22AM
mtpearce
We used white marble subway tile - in an unusual size (2" x 8") as backsplash for the kitchen in our renovated 1883 home. We love that it maintains a classic look - but the unique size is just a bit of trendy. We matched it with a white marble top on the island, soapstone countertops, white cabinets, and custom dark island and hutch (matching the rest of the wood in the house).
4 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 7:23AM
Lisa Schulz
I would not vote for any subway design simply because I like subway tile. White on white is bland. I put my vote elsewhere.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 7:26AM
Peggy
I really liked all but the first 2 pics. I chose subway but when we did our kitchen 10 years ago we never did any backsplash and still don't miss it.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 7:27AM
suzannems44
I like the idea of a custom mosaic tile design, I would prefer something of a different nature than the one depicted but something unique to your home would make it more personalized.
1 Like   October 27, 2013 at 7:29AM
dicro25
Subway glass tile in a mosaic pattern. Just did it this week and I love it
10 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 7:29AM
Mid Century Mosaics
You can combine subway tile with a custom mosaic. This is the view, in mosaic, the homeowner would have if there was a window.
5 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 7:31AM
karynpistone
I am doing a back splash right now and have gone with the with a narrow subway tile in mixed glass and metals. Sort of a mosaic since its backed with a netting. Love it
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 7:35AM
Emily Busby
Mirror to reflect a view!
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 7:35AM
raidt
The subway tile is not only classic but will easily complete contemporary and modern styled kitchens, as well.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 7:37AM
janiesk
I have stainless steel 2X1 subway waiting to be installed. Can't wait!!
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 7:40AM
ajmkjm
I love the diagonal tiles. The ones you display would look perfect in my kitchen.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 7:42AM
dbf10
I vote for subway tile. It's clean and classic!
1 Like   October 27, 2013 at 7:44AM
sweetcolorado
Definitely subway tile. Works in all styles of kitchens.
1 Like   October 27, 2013 at 7:45AM
mememe808
Subway tiles are the way to go. They are classic and bring back the vintage look in one's home. They can be used in the kitchen and the bathroom. I just renovated my bathroom using the subway tile and I am going to extend the look into my kitchen. Love the opportunity to be able to choose different colors, size and texture. This will give my 1902 house the finished look I so wanted to get back.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 7:48AM
jakejturner75
The Herringbone is subtle and beautiful. I appreciate the simplicity of subway tile, but its sterility leaves something to be desired.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 7:50AM
Julie Marie
Subway!!
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 7:54AM
eightpondfarm
i suppose my dream home would use blue tiles from Portugal... i brought some back with me a couple years ago. i just love them so much. reminds me of the cheese, the fish the old world beauty there.....
2 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 7:57AM
jtoews841
I like the classic subway tile. It never goes out of date. Other tiles and styles come and go, but your kitchen stays current with the subway tiles. We have been renovating our 1957 ranch house, taking out the colored tiles of that era and replacing with subway tiles. If you think it is too sterile, use colored grout or a splash of color on the walls. We are going to be starting our second bathroom and subway tiles will be used half way up the walls. They are great looking, inexpensive and fits with any decor.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 8:00AM
josephine48
Just getting ready to put up subway tile.- so timeless!
1 Like   October 27, 2013 at 8:02AM
dana58
I like the herringbone & subway tile. I think just about anything would go with those
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 8:05AM
seattlesunshine
My favorite tiles are the modern raised pattern tiles in white. They are subway rectangles but have a raised oval on them. Wish you would have had a modern 3D tile option.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 8:08AM
ptout
I have a victorian century home so I am drawn more to the classic look of the subway tile
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 8:08AM
abcnest
I recently redid my kitchen and my choice was simple, white subway tiles and a farmhouse sink!
1 Like   October 27, 2013 at 8:09AM
josamsky
We are currently shopping for backsplash tile, right now we don't have any backsplash :(
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 8:09AM
ameliaprice
I suggest to clients they consider something timeless when it comes to kitchen back splashes. Subway tile is just that: timeless.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 8:11AM
ipatia
I like glass, but the use of mosaic tile as an accent can add character and reflect the style of the home.
1 Like   October 27, 2013 at 8:16AM
junkyarddawg
I also like the glass or travertine tiles, but if I had to chose one of the six shown, I'd chose the subway tile.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 8:18AM
almostjane
I HEART SUBWAY TILE! It's completely versatile - the blank "slate" of tile. !!! Interest can be added - if desired - by varying the FINISH, the COLOR, the PATTERN, the DIRECTION of the tiles.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 8:18AM
croudebush
Subway tile is a clean horizontal look.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 8:20AM
Mary Sylvester_Schuldt
Love the large patterned tile. It adds a big design statement to your kitchen.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 8:20AM
Amanda Watkins
2inch slate tiles with variegated colors
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 8:22AM
Monica Ledoux
Currently my kitchen is completely gutted. About to have Old Dominion Cherry Bordeaux cabinets installed with new countertops. Leaning toward diagonally set Country Beige stone tiles for backsplash. Subway tiles appear generic to me, reminds me of gas station restrooms.
2 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 8:25AM
betd
Having to redo a small kitchen I was on the hunt for the perfect tiles. I went to every tile store in my area and took home more samples than I could count. In the end I found out three things. One, to go with something that is timeless, that won't drive you crazy or be out of style after two years. Two, to talk to a professional installer before and after you make your selection. You will be surprised that some tiles and grout (as much as you love them and think the color is beautiful) when they are installed can make your kitchen look smaller than it is (a case with subway tiles in my kitchen). Third, don't settle for something that you don't love. I was told at the stores that most client bring home a few and make their decisiion. I found nothing that I liked and was ready to just paint the back splash till I found what I wanted. Finally, I found a beautiful tumbled Travertine. It was love at first sight and the professional who installed it, worked with me on how I wanted it installed.
2 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 8:27AM
cwiech
I love classic subway tiles so that I can add or change color and texture as often as I want.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 8:33AM
miriameta2003
I prefer subway tiles but nowadays I have traditional tiles because I live in a flat which is nit mine. I pay a rent for that.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 8:35AM
robojo
It all comes down to the kitchen and house style, but........that subway tile always looks appealing.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 8:39AM
puntagordalady
I recently added tumbled limestone tiles for my backsplash. It really adds pizzazz to my kitchen. I mixed diagonal and straight, added a tile border and some accent tiles for flare. I love it! I like being creative and mixing different materials.
5 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 8:40AM
shirley919
I voted for the diagonal, my last tile work was like that, somewhat. Just got my kitchen redone in June 13' and love what I got the guy to do! It is travertine, with a little glass tile added in. I wanted glass, DH wanted travertine, so, I thought lets make us both happy!
4 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 8:42AM
cable854
Subway!
1 Like   October 27, 2013 at 8:42AM
decoratinglady5
Classic subway tile..in style forever..love it.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 8:42AM
Jamie Wagner
I like the subway uniformity but prefer a rougher texture like a tumbled travertine. We are using that style in our new build.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 8:43AM
shelleybowley
No tiles in our kitchen, just the worktop up stands?
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 8:48AM
chilispasms
I chose the mosaic but it would have to be very simple and meaningful to me. Actually, I really don't like tile in my kitchen but do have Mexican tile in our kitchen at our cabin. We chose each tile so it again, has meaning to us.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 8:49AM
Joyce K
I like the glass and stone mix subway tile
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 8:52AM
susubarton
I had navy blue herringbone tiles with dark grout in my favorite kitchen once and I still miss that look. Everyone who saw it loved it too. Next to a white counter it looks clean and neat.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 8:53AM
scerrir
I really enjoy the subway tiles in a kitchen...very clean and classic that can suit both older and newer kitchens! And you can get handmade tiles instead of machine-cut, to make it more unique and one-of-a-kind!
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 8:54AM
leet73
Subway tile all the way - Nice clean lines with simple and subtle tones.
1 Like   October 27, 2013 at 8:57AM
Ann Schwartz
classis look of subway tile
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 9:00AM
goshiwanttosee
I like the mosaic tiles, love the color and uniqueness of it!
1 Like   October 27, 2013 at 9:00AM
kids4grandma9
The mirror tile is fantastic in this space. It is very formal looking, but DIFFERENT! I like that...unusual. Subway is so overdone. Mosaics are plain busy! Whoever chose this tile is brilliant!
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 9:02AM
mashbug
Of the choices above, I voted for the subway tile in many applications. It's classic, works in a number of architectural styles and does not fight with the beauty of the cabinets and countertops. In the home we just completed, I initially considered subway tiles, but finally chose to use 4 inch squares of tumbled stone divided by a row of rectangular accent tiles. I love the stone look, and it worked very well with the granite countertop and cherry cabinets.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 9:04AM
Ronnda Stapleton
Just last night I began installing subway tile in my new kitchen, of course my husband was helping me, too. :) LOVE subway tile! So classic!
2 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 9:04AM
Paul Brant Williger Architect
I know that this discussion is about tile, but don't forget about slab stone. It can be cut into large scale "tiles" and there is a lot of nice smaller stone tile and stone mosaics available. Here's a great example of slab stone in a kitchen.
3 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 9:06AM
buddynina
Classic subway tiles are timeless and great for resell value.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 9:08AM
Laurie Daniels
Our Kitchen has diagonal 6-inch white square tiles with 1 inch black "dots" over the black granite countertop. I hand-painted 4 accent tiles that fit into the diagonal pattern for my vintage style kitchen. Now we're changing our style to a tropical beach house and we're replacing the each accent tile with 8 2-inch green glass tiles around a center black tile. Updating on a budget!
1 Like   October 27, 2013 at 9:09AM
kellybrink
I tried to like the other tiles... but i always go back to subway tile. It is such a comfortable look.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 9:15AM
ederis
Ohhh,I love the Diagonal...)
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 9:19AM
mawils11
Subway tile! We are remodeling our 1900 built home. Went with a 2x4 for back splash, 3x6 wall tile for bathroom walls in our "old" style bathroom, which will have a claw foot tub, and went with 6x8 tile for our big open shower in the other bathroom. All white with charcoal grey grout. Things are still a work in progress and can't wait for the remodel to be complete.
1 Like   October 27, 2013 at 9:22AM
Niche for Design
Honestly, I love them all! Just depends on the project. I voted for herringbone though, since it is something I am personally lusting over right now!
1 Like   October 27, 2013 at 9:22AM
Dana Dickson
I'm an old-house fan and love the traditional and classy look of subway tile - kitchen and bath.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 9:24AM
papillon8818
Subway tile, it's classic and suits every style.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 9:24AM
palmieril
I like the custom mosaic because it engages me while I am cooking-colors,shapes, and texture combine to create designs that can remind me ancient Roman baths, middle eastern buildings. Many exotic places come to mind while I am boiling water or cooking a complex dish.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 9:25AM
maryrenaud
I think that herringbone is contemporary and textured but not so much that it will date. It's still a classic look but with some fun.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 9:30AM
sonomama1
I am in the midst of a kitchen remodel and will be sure to post photos in the next 4 weeks. We are going with a glass subway...white in color...can't wait!
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 9:30AM
dslyder
What's not to love about a little BLING even in the kitchen!
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 9:31AM
Patricia Clees
I am in the middle of a kitchen remodel and I love the glazed subway tile behind my stainless steel Wolf stove and Wolf hood. Classic...not trendy.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 9:33AM
skingftl
Even though the subway pattern is timeless and beautiful, I think random stacking of either stone or glass tile gives your kitchen character while putting your own creativity into it, so it's not a clone of other kitchens.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 9:40AM
ral44720
We are going to use subway tiles that have a clear tint to them (in aqua, blue,green, teal like colors) in our new kitchen/house. There will be a small desing strip in the middle of 2 small horz. rows of Stainless steel tile and a few verigated ones. We are going for a cool relaxing kitchen everyone will feel welcome and want to hang out yet a touch of modern.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 9:42AM
gardenarian
I do not care for the look of subway tile. Maybe I've spent too much time in subways :-) I like classic square ceramic tile, especially handmade arts & crafts style tile.
2 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 9:43AM
rsmismrs
I like the subway tile - I like to see a kitchen look more timeless than "Oh look, they remodeled in the '90's".
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 9:45AM
Wendy Stout
I am in the middle of a remodel and I will have black subway tiles with black appliances and a stainless steel farmhouse sink in the island. The dining area will have a stone wall with a Victorian black cast iron fireplace surround. I am considering how to use beadboard on the cupboard doors.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 9:45AM
dawnas05
love this look
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 9:45AM
crbedell
Clean, white, Subway tile is my choice for the bulk of the backsplash, however, I also want a custom mosaic or something bright and colorful (or maybe exposed brick) as an accent on one wall or area.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 9:48AM
Gaylen Marie
subway. i wanted to like others but when i saw the subway it was the only winner for me.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 9:51AM
ec140
Subway tiles are timeless ,not trendy...there are so many variations of subway tile, which makes your choices endless.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 9:52AM
maggieh0l
I love the look of subway tile. Currently, I have no tile in kitchen but am seriously considering adding tile.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 9:53AM
Debbie Rose
Love subway, but it feels like such a "safe" choice so we're swinging out a little and going with a simple mosaic in our remodel. Hope I still like it in 5 years :)
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 9:56AM
caroladryden
I like the subway tile best. But it all depends on the style of kitchen you have. Another style kitchen and I would choose another style tile. This kitchen looks inviting and comfortable with an old fashioned feel. I love it.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 9:59AM
mcqk
Why not both? I love subway tile. It's so traditionally NYC. It's also cheap and, properly grouted, easy to clean.

Of course, I live in Miami now, where everyone wants marble everything. My contractor here actually asked me if I wanted the subway tiles aligned rather than (searches for word), you know, offset? Done subway style! See pic 1.

And I went for porcelain mosaic tiles for the floors. One of these days I'll finish the bathroom! Tearing out the old bathroom (pic 2; aka before) cost more than replacing it, but YMMV; I live in a high rise with severe restrictions on contractors' hours and removal of debris.
2 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 10:00AM
Liana Rowlands
I love the subway tiles....they definitely would suit any decor
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 10:01AM
mcqk
Sorry! You have to hover on the pic on the left to see the floors.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 10:02AM
fishpatty01
I love the classic look of subway tiles. I think they have a timeless appeal. On the other hand I voted for the herringbone. To me, it will always be my favorite. It's classic with a flair.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 10:04AM
ifrogcrafts
You can never go wrong with subway tile. It is a classic. That also allows you to change the look of your kitchen to pretty much any style that you want to.

Right now, we have no tile of back splash of any kind in our sad kitchen. =(
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 10:05AM
hikeandbike1
I like them all, except the artsy one, way too busy. It does depend on the counter top and cabinet. Have to be careful what you pair with granite because it can get way to busy and take away from the beauty of the granite.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 10:06AM
jeankammerer
I like subway spacing of tile, but with a border of a pattern about 3/4 of the way up.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 10:06AM
mikesusiem
I'm in the middle of a kitchen remodel and I'm going with a subway tile.
1 Like   October 27, 2013 at 10:09AM
mlrshannon
The herringbone pattern is interesting & a little different than the subway style.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 10:12AM
Chris Hinkel, Tahoe Concierge Realtor
Classic, it's timeless....
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 10:12AM
Teresa S-j
I like the herringbone tile - it adds an element of design without dominating.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 10:12AM
lesliehawke
Subway tile is the most versatile, always in style. Recently moved into a renovated church. The modern gray glass backsplash tiles just didn't fit. So I bought a pint of high gloss black Rustoleum paint and made them look like black subway tiles. The result is fantastic.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 10:14AM
bugsylee
Mosaic ... But not custom.. And black glossy tiles!
3 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 10:15AM
pumper
I voted for the subway tile for its classic and neutral appearance. Tile isn't like paint, so its timeless qualities would keep it in favor and in style for a long time.
1 Like   October 27, 2013 at 10:18AM
adp3
I love classic subway tile! For my kitchen I added a strip of decorative tiles and it added elegance. I also love the white tiles because they will never go out of style. I like adding color with things that are easier to change, e.g. my slate colored cabinets.
7 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 10:21AM
danceydj
Whizzdom42
The pastel herringbone pattern shown on Houzz provides an appealing backdrop for this classically designed kitchen. Used with a quieter and solid colour Formica or Corian countertop material would be at the top of my list.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 10:23AM
Lauryl Kays
You can never go wrong with the classic subway tile. It pairs well with any color so changing accessories is easier than ripping out tile (and we know how much tastes can change). If you want color go with a few of a different color either randomly placed or in a pattern. Or if you really want different, use a colored grout - they come in all colors, but neutral (gray, beige, taupe, ivory, white) is usually best.
1 Like   October 27, 2013 at 10:23AM
mayema1
Subway tile!!!
1 Like   October 27, 2013 at 10:27AM
Bettie Waddle
I used the brushed aluminum stick-on tile above the stove and to line the vent hood.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 10:28AM
sandyfell
subway tile has a clean look and doesn't conflict with other themes.
1 Like   October 27, 2013 at 10:28AM
mslucky12
I'm pretty traditional, so I like the simplicity of subway tile.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 10:30AM
gianakoso
I just had subway tile installed along with new countertops . My "tired" kitchen of 25 years now looks revitalized and I feel that way, too.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 10:32AM
merooney1
I really like glass tiles for a new look. All of the tiles are appealing but I think it really depends on the feel you are trying to achieve.
1 Like   October 27, 2013 at 10:33AM
dannelisa
Of the choices given, I like the classic, clean look of the subway tile--I think it will look up to date for a longer time.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 10:35AM
fliebman
I love the glass tiles and some metal.
]
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 10:35AM
craigandjudybarry
Random pattern glass tile is my favorite. Looks clean and is easy to clean.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 10:36AM
Mark
Subway tile. Timeless
1 Like   October 27, 2013 at 10:37AM
abersix
I really like the the classic subway tile. You can't go wrong with this clean neutral back slash. The look lends itself to many styles and is easy to decorate around. I will be putting it in my kitchen remodel.
1 Like   October 27, 2013 at 10:41AM
kguhne
Subway Tile for sure. It's both classic and modern at the same time.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 10:41AM
Rosi Hoyer
I voted for Subway Tile... in the right neutral color it has versatility for contemporary, traditional or a themed look.
1 Like   October 27, 2013 at 10:41AM
tammyhofmeister
Love the traditional subway tile!
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 10:51AM
acw2355
I voted for subway tile. It is very versatile; can be traditional, contemporary, or eclectic, depending on colors (tile and grout) or layout pattern of tiles. There's a reason its been around for decades; it's classic, not trendy. It is also very affordable and even those of us with modest budgets can do a very pleasing renovation with subway tile.
1 Like   October 27, 2013 at 10:55AM
frfinnlady
I live the subway tile. Classic and clean.
1 Like   October 27, 2013 at 10:58AM
Barbara Ellis
I am a Realtor and I see many homes at all price points. The subway tile is without a doubt the classic that always looks a part of the design. The most recent wow! kitchen is a white marble counter and backsplash but don't go pouring red wine on that one.
1 Like   October 27, 2013 at 11:00AM
decoratinglady5
Thanks..I for one love the classic subway tile,I could not see me going for the white marble counter,I am sure it is nice.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 11:10AM
salesi
I have a mirrored backsplash now, but when we renovate subway tile for sure!
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 11:14AM
linda747
Diagonal tile....timeless but not boring :)
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 11:16AM
karenlcoleman
Love the subway tile, just timeless
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 11:16AM
pebsmom
My favorite it the subway tile. It goes with so many styles! This color is lovely. My second favorite is the herringbone but it would be expensive to install!
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 11:19AM
sherry403
I love my marble subway tile.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 11:19AM
thejanine
The subway tiles seem to fit more of a range of styles, but with all the color and size options there's definitely one to fit every style.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 11:21AM
smocksalot
I like the custom mosaic because it is a focal point in the kitchen.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 11:21AM
P Lafuente
I have the small mosaic glass tiles but think the subway tiles can enhance most any kitchen.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 11:22AM
mbsmessa
A tile guy I went to said in the kitchen, the least amount of grout (meaning large tile) is best. I'm a messy cook, and agree!
1 Like   October 27, 2013 at 11:22AM
hderoche
I really dislike subway tiles...to me they feel so flat and cold. Like mosaic, herringbone.
1 Like   October 27, 2013 at 11:25AM
Bob
We selected a nice mosaic 'strip' to run across the backsplash that complemented the porcelain tiles (Onyx Sand) and our granite countertop (African Persia). We were not looking to make the backsplash a major focal point but just one more ingredient that added to the overall flow of the design.
The combination of tile, mosaic & granite blended nicely with our refinished oak cabinets of 21 years! It's a pleasure to go into the kitchen each morning!
Here an image over the Cooktop.
4 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 11:26AM
Kristen Melton
I like subway tile
1 Like   October 27, 2013 at 11:34AM
Joyce Martin
A traditional rectangular mosaic tile strip hung vertically is both interesting and lovely.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 11:40AM
AliciaTappDesigns Images on Tiles
Heres an option that wasn't mentioned.. a tile mural on tumbled marble, ceramic or glass tiles or even wine labels transferred onto marble tiles and randomly install with plain tiles.. Tiles can be personalized
http://www.Aliciatappdesigns.com
Any image on tiles
1 Like   October 27, 2013 at 11:42AM
Sherry Beckett
I think the diagonol tile gives a unique look!
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 11:49AM
Valerie Wohner
I like the creative ways all of the tiles can be used in various kitchens. One type is better suited for a particular kitchen. My kitchen is small, therefore I have to be a bit conservative in which type I would use in it.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 11:52AM
Megan Clark
I love subway tile because you can put it in almost any kitchen and it make it look more sophisticated!
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 12:00PM
ausgrl
clean lines, a professional finisher is key for my own desigs
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 12:00PM
anne dee
This link posts the best reasons for all the above choices depending on your parameters and preferences and $ available http://www.strategiesonline.net/types-of-kitchen-backsplash/
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 12:01PM
marfedo
Creating a piece of art for your kitchen really personalizes the space and takes your kitchen out of the ordinary.
1 Like   October 27, 2013 at 12:06PM
Pat Cotton
Currently I have no tile in my kitchen, but I plan to renovate my kitchen with tile and so far the subway tile looks the neatest to me especially in gray.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 12:06PM
carolemccrary
The others are too busy and would phase out quicker
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 12:09PM
murphin
Murphin Subway seems to be perfect!
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 12:10PM
rach71
I like coloured glass splashbacks. They are easier to clean than tiles. If tiles are the only option, then the largest square tiles look simpler and less grout to keep clean.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 12:10PM
teacherccc
Although herringbone comes in a close second for me, my first love is mother-of-pearl small mosaic tile in various places throughout the house, whether it be kitchen backsplash, bathroom shower, or fireplace surround/wall. So elegant, with lots of bling!
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 12:11PM
Terracon Inc
The subway tile is the classic and appeals to all. But the Herringbone is my current favourite - for a not too large backsplash I think it adds some special class. We did stainless steel in our last house and I'm hoping to go with the Herringbone this time around.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 12:12PM
Pat Cotton
Hi Donna, I agree with you on the mirrored tile. Your kitchen is small but pretty. The mirrored tiles would add some light, visually enlarge the space, and reflect the pretty. Good Luck!
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 12:15PM
kellyt25
Blue subway tile (:
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 12:16PM
drchine
diagonal tile
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 12:41PM
riverboat62
I have varying colors of slate now. I love the mirror...so clean and sleek.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 12:43PM
housarousa
I've got subway tile now, but not sure I picked a good color. I luv the herringbone pattern, and wish I had that!
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 12:45PM
apalylyk48
I like the diagonal tile too, but for my kitchen subway will be easier to do and the classic look works best with my tiny galley kitchen.
1 Like   October 27, 2013 at 12:45PM
klazz
Seems like every kitchen I've owned had no other wall space for color, art or texture so I I've used large pattern mosaics to create a style and interest on the walls. Luckily, I've lived mostly in the sw so it's easy to incorporate into the rest of the homes design.
1 Like   October 27, 2013 at 12:46PM
res03hrk
We went with a subway tile for our remodel. Although the custom mosaic is beautiful. It can be cost prohibitive if you're on a budget.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 12:47PM
margem1976
A lovely design that shows a picture of a special place or theme for your Kitchen.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 1:00PM
adp3
I don't understand why so many kitchens have some kind of design in a square or rectangle behind the cooktop. Those designs and especially the custom art work are way too busy, plus they go out of style quickly. Remember when mushrooms, country everything, Tuscan scenes, and chubby French chefs were the rage? As for the tile designs behind the cooktop, they are just tiles in a frame--but everyone seems to want one.

When we remodeled, I told my husband that is one thing we are not going to do, and he agreed!
1 Like   October 27, 2013 at 1:08PM
margegiane
the herringbone look is unique
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 1:09PM
barbysunshine
I am building a new home and have selected a white kitchen with white subway tiles!
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 1:14PM
catgriff
I have nothing but painted wall now (older house) but I vote for the subway tile.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 1:27PM
Jeanne Hanly
I like the diagonal and the herringbone, but agree that subway is a good way to go for the long term since it is classic.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 1:34PM
hcirlleh
I like the eye candy of the diagonal tile.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 1:34PM
ksw711
We have ugly dark diagonal tile. Would love to have herringbone!!
1 Like   October 27, 2013 at 1:36PM
granmajb
sorry, all you subway fans, but that would be my last choice, it is so predictable. My choice is the mirror if for no other reason than it is an original thought. Not above a sink, though, thinking more around the ceiling . Don't have tile at the moment.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 1:36PM
rosellachampaign
I really want something solid. I have white tile couter and baseboard now and the grout is a continuing frustation for me to keep clean. (I believe that sealing grout should be part of the job of installing the tile). The grout wasn't properly protected when put in and now I can't find anything to keep it looking nice. I took 3 days, a few months ago, and really cleaned all the grout with a toothbrush, then painted it with the stuff sold to seal it. It still stains when anything spills in it. Personally, I'm looking to redo the counters with something solid. I know this isn't going to win the houseshoes but thanks for letting me vent. : > )
1 Like   October 27, 2013 at 1:37PM
princessinaformerlife
Love the shimmer of the Mirror tile. I think there should be something shimmery/shiny in every space.
1 Like   October 27, 2013 at 1:37PM
Barbara Macdonald
Subway
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 1:37PM
Monde Green
It all depends on the application. If you're living in a home that you want to sell sometime in the foreseeable future or if you have lots of other eye-catching features, then subway tile is a nice generic background that will go with lots of styles. I find it pretty boring but if there were other interesting things going on in the kitchen, it would be fine.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 1:40PM
gabbygirl
Stacked stone
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 1:40PM
diyher
one thing I think is strange about subway tile, is these days everyone is calling it classic like its been around for 50+ years in peoples kitchens and it will never go out of style. I don't ever remember anyone having any form of subway tile while I was growing up, or even 15 years or more. I like it, but why is everyone acting like it's been around forever?
1 Like   October 27, 2013 at 1:45PM
cdarco
Love the look of subway pattern tiles. It can be traditional or contemporary
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 1:45PM
Paul Blanchard
I LOVE the herringbone...but will probably opt for the subway tile (BECAUSE MY WIFE HAS NO SENSE OF ADVENTURE!). We are deciding as I type this....very nerve racking! I GOTSTA have some style and color.....so decision is not FINAL just yet!
2 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 1:55PM
Julia
I like terracotta Spanish tile which is not really presented here :)
2 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 2:01PM
badkins43
The subway tile
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 2:03PM
ludafisk
I like the classic subway, in a simple plain color - especially if it is competing with a patterned granite.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 2:04PM
rebeccapitre
subway tile looks terrific and it seems real safe for someone as myself who is not all that good at interior decorating.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 2:05PM
kbeauregard
Subway tile never goes out of style. My mother-in-law put it in her kitchen in 1980 and it still looks great!
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 2:05PM
lbch
Love the clean, fresh look of subway tile.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 2:10PM
mclesi
We have white 4" square tile in the kitchen now. It's ok. Designing a kitchen to outlast the trends starts with the classic subway tile.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 2:11PM
Betty McAlvany
clearly the runaway winner, simple and elegant
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 2:13PM
houseatthelake
Subway tile over any! It is classic. Just look at how long it has been around.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 2:19PM
aftf
Subway tile for sure.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 2:19PM
lkdonald
It's hard to find tile I don't like! We are building a house, so I've had the chance to look at many tiles and styles, not counting the tile projects we did to get our former house ready to sell. Subway is classic; you can't go wrong.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 2:19PM
auntienana
I like subway tile but not alone. I also like creating patterns using different shapes and colors of tile.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 2:29PM
Leah Traverse
I love the simple classic look of subway tile for my own transitional kitchen but some of those patterns are pretty amazing.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 2:31PM
tellface
I like the simplicity of the subway tiles. It creates a classic look but does not conflict with anythings else going on.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 2:33PM
ltakabcw
prefer subway tile as others are too busy for any asthetically pleasing kitchen.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 2:39PM
sjr
I personally think the subway tile and its variations are a classic yet dated look that everyone is leaning to right now--no individuality. I felt/feel the same way about glass tiles--very popular now but will date a kitchen in the near future. I think the BEST look I've seen is a glass planel showing the outside. Pretty flowering shrubs can be planted when possible and the look is quite spectacular when walking into a kitchen and seeing that unexpected backsplash. However, the down side is if a kitchen is on an upper floor, an inside apartment, etc. The other problem is at night it just appears to be a black panel unless the outdoors is lighted. Still, it is quite beautiful.
2 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 2:44PM
Pat Salter
The classic subway tiles never clash with any décor and never go out of style.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 2:48PM
cyberann
I like the diagonal tile
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 2:53PM
vsorger
I like subway tile. Can make a kitchen anything you want it to be from country to modern! Change decor but can keep the tile :-)!
4 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 2:53PM
plljll
I used subway tile and love it. I brought home lots of samples and am so glad I used subway. Most kitchens are busy to start with without a adding a busy back drop.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 2:56PM
ebond44
Love the light color in the subway tile! About to use this in my kitchen.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 2:56PM
Gary Clyne
I love the versatility of tile. Currently, in the kitchen we have a neutral square tumbled limestone tile which doesn't show dirt but which isn't very special (it was here when we moved in). In our new home, I want a glass tile to pick up the color of a 180º sea view to keep the white kitchen with dark bottom cabinets visually cool in a tropical environment. I love to cook for my family and my kitchen will be the focal point of the home. By the way, I love the images that folks have uploaded of their tile and also their ideas. I also love the herringbone and subway tiles, depending upon the type of tile and color chosen. I'm new to HOUZZ but I love it!
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 2:58PM
Judi Wilson
I have large (stone like) diagonal tile with a 4x4 bronze metalic accent tile every few feet...it is pretty when the under counter lights are on at night..
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 3:01PM
rozbsmith
I like talavera tile for its color, variety, and earthiness.
2 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 3:06PM
Jackie Dunbar
I like the subway look because it will go with any kitchen style.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 3:16PM
mscrawford
Has subway tile always been so popular or is it the now thing to do?
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 3:17PM
dakoriesmom
I like the Herringbone.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 3:29PM
mabmbacma
I THINK A SUBWAY TILE LEAVES A CALMER LOOK
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 3:31PM
kathicalif29
I prefer simple yet elegant somewhat neutral finishes in bathrooms and kitchens. That way I can change colors of soft & hard accessories if/when I'm tired of those things down the road rather than have to replace the more expensive items like tile, counter tops, showers, etc . So of these examples, my vote is for the subway tile although all look very nice. Just remodeled & added 7 ft to my original 1946 ranch house, 4 piece hall bathroom making it a true "master" bath. It was neon pink (toilet, tub, sink & walls) with green 4X4 tile. Several realtors have said I added $100K in value - it is truly beautiful.
1 Like   October 27, 2013 at 3:36PM
kdevencenzi
Its a clean look, I want this in my kitchen
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 3:37PM
maxmanmom
I used the harlequin tile. It's very pretty but not too girly. I've used it in 2 kitchens and love it every time I turn on my kitchen lights.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 3:38PM
rosanasorensen
Subway tile is great because it can be modern, rustic, cottage, farmhouse, contemporary, what ever you like depending on the color, and type (glass, ceramic, marble, etc.). It's a great choice when your not quite sure what to pick and you don't want your backsplash "screaming" at you. We used a glass subway in the color "surf" for our cottage. In love with the look.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 3:39PM
Ellen Carlin
Love subway tile. It's what we recently put in our kitchen.
2 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 3:40PM
26carol
I think subway, depending on color, will be timeless and easy to decorate around.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 3:52PM
sam1602
Love the colorful tiles with mixed sizes when kitchens are black and white
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 4:04PM
fmscerbo
A limited amount of mirrored tile can give a modern kitchen just the "kick" it needs..!!
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 4:07PM
nhmorris43
I like the small glass tiles.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 4:15PM
pcfp1980
Presently there is no backsplash tile, but in our new kitchen we hope to use a glass subway style tile to reflect as much light as possible without the glitz effect of mirror tile.
1 Like   October 27, 2013 at 4:16PM
tickernut
I like diagonal, but with a accent tile running horizontal through it.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 4:23PM
lucy57
I love subway tile and will certainly use it again when we remodel our kitchen next Spring. It will definitely look nicer than the beige with black flower tiles we have now!!!
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 4:24PM
petdoor1
I like the tile of the one in the comments: "I love my 'pillow' tile because it reminds me of a favorite leather quilted bag."
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 4:28PM
momoftwoobx
Subway Tile or glass tiles are my favorites
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 4:29PM
emuller39
subway tile goes with everything
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 4:34PM
veekuch
Granite all the way up the wall, from base to cabinets.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 4:41PM
tdavisslp
We love our contemporary kitchen that retained the spirit of our 1951 home. White subway tile was very affordable and will stand the test of time.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 4:44PM
sparkle50
I like glass tile. I have lime green in my kitchen and it looks so fresh and reminds me of lettuce and limes. I goes well in our contemporary kitchen with natural maple cabinets and black granite counter tops.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 4:50PM
prmarshall
What I won't do for a pair of comfy slippers!!! I too am loving the green phone booths but as far as tile goes...I love the classic subway tiles!
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 4:55PM
jillybeansisme
If I could vote, I would vote for the beautiful tile Claudia Amestegui put in or the slate tiles that Shannon Lobe put in. I, myself, have no tile on the walls except in my shower and those are 6"x6" with the ceiling on a diagonal. My house has 17" ceramic tiles on the floor with a 3 1/2' custom mosaic in the middle of the kitchen floor. I do have a tile "rug" bordered by listels in the foyer. I will try to attach pictures. I dislike subway tile. In my opinion it is dreary, boring and unappealing -- simply a trend that will fade away and then everyone will jump to the next trend making the manufacturers and installers money (and I suspect that is who starts the "trends" anyway).
3 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 4:56PM
3wizkids
I agree subway tiles are timeless but I voted for the herringbone, it is classic, elegant and also timeless. The herringbone design adds personality that I don't feel from the subway tiles.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 4:58PM
manotick
Like classic look of tile. Neutral tones
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 5:01PM
donaldj23
Small subway-shaped glass tiles of similar colors such as greens, blues, or browns.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 5:02PM
black_raven
We will be doing our backsplash this year. Our selection was subway tiles because this gives us the ability to vary the theme and incorporate other tiles more easily.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 5:06PM
Patti Mirich
Subway tile, hands down! It has a certain "casual elegance"
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 5:07PM
taylorcynthia70
The subway tile just looks neat and clean! Classic beauty.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 5:24PM
sarosea
I like the moasic tile, such an opportunity to make it your own art.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 5:29PM
wellein
For this particular kitchen style the subway tile looks so clean. The tile looks gray which I have not seen in the store. It is a nice contrast with the white cabinets.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 5:32PM
belzeb
I like subway tile, clean look
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 5:33PM
Cynthia Celenza
Glass
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 5:33PM
judyklassen
I love the clean lines of subway. I would just use a larger one and not stagger them but rather line them up.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 5:35PM
bjsjeff
Love the clean, classic Subway Tile
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 5:37PM
happyasaclam
Subway tile is timeless. Change your cabinets, repaint or replace your appliances - your subway tile will still fit in.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 5:43PM
Escoffier by Design
As a contractor and kitchen design professional, I take into consideration the construction of the kitchen when suggesting backsplash design. Some of my favorite designs are a subway perimeter with an insert to display interest at the stove or sink or wine area. Sometimes I incorporate the same subway tile but in a herringbone pattern or the same tile but in a 4x4 on the diagonal with some metal or mosaic inserts to achieve a cohesive and interesting architectural flair. With a backsplash many times less is more as the countertop has the. Starring role.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 5:44PM
jennjenn51
I do not currently have any tile but hope to install a smaller horizontal glass tile when we get to remodel our kitchen.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 5:52PM
bigbang333
i am retired navy bachelor,lived around battleship gray a long time. i own my home and wo like all the backsplashes, but mirror the most.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 5:52PM
Mary Palazzolo
As a designer my preference is contemporary so I would go with the glass tiles. But it all depends on the type of cabinets one chooses and then I would pick the tile that would go with the cabinets.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 5:54PM
Debbie Rickett
In like classic and timeless subway tile.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 5:56PM
caffi
Voted for Subway tile, makes a nice finish.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 6:03PM
intonowhere
A twist on the 2x3 subway, a long subway 2x12.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 6:03PM
evelynchuter
I like the crazy and different. So I like the Mosaic!
1 Like   October 27, 2013 at 6:08PM
karelina
I'm surprised! Has anyone mentioned glass tiles? The colors are amazing. I'm considering paring glass tiles on the backsplash with traditional porcelain tiles on the countertop.
1 Like   October 27, 2013 at 6:17PM
dmarie517
I used to stare at subway tile while waiting for the train. It was white and, at one time, saw maintenance cleaning the tile in the subway. Never thought it would be in my kitchen.
3 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 6:18PM
misty4me
I love my glass tile back splash easy to clean (with glass cleaner). looks new everyday and was easy to install with no grouting necessary
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 6:35PM
bdgamsby
We are in the process of building a new home and it is interesting how popular subway tile is
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 6:37PM
nee77
I like the herringbone or diagonal Travertine
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 6:44PM
renosue
I like the timelessness of subway tile. The cost of a kitchen reno is off the charts so I think this is the one I could live with for a very long time and not tire of itl
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 6:45PM
brkslndlrds
I am installing subway tile (shiny and matte mix in cashmere color) this week! I picked this scheme as a monochromatic background to go with my relatively busy crema bourdeaux granite counter tops, and have matched my wall color to the tile color also. I will be putting in some small accents behind the cooktop and in a couple of places on the sink wall. Will post pix when it is all in :)
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 6:52PM
badgirlrn
I love subway tile! It's timeless and classy. It also comes in so many types of tiles, natural stone, shell, porcelain and ceramic.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 6:53PM
mrsfanoula
i currently have travertine subway tile in my kitchen and will soon be buying glass subway tile for my new kitchen.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 7:03PM
momdotcom41
Ugh! Subway tile... Too "safe" and very boring!
1 Like   October 27, 2013 at 7:14PM
ynklady4
Subway tiles all the way, not only in white, but in colors
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 7:17PM
helmandale
I currently have travertine and I like it. The subway tile is boring to me.
2 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 7:18PM
jucie21
Of the examples shown, I likes the subway tile best but I have seen other options I like even more.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 7:19PM
jcphan
I am an artist and cannot resist the artistic dimension of mosaics that allows you to portray any sort of scene , tableau, or still life. I believe they are totally classic and totally contemporary and suit my need for self-expression.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 7:19PM
Sarah Feigel
I don't currently have tile, just paint and the Formica backsplash that is part of the counter. We just bought this home and are currently redoing the floors with hardwood. In a few years I plan on updating the kitchen and plan on using a colored glass subway tile!
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 7:24PM
Ms. Fix-It Home Solutions
Oooooooohhh.... I'm in love with the mirrors! In a small, dark kitchen, it would reflect any light source and sparkle up a storm!
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 7:26PM
pk_hines
Subway tile! If you choose subway tiles that are the same color, but have different shades of that color then it's just all around easier to adapt with changing styles and trends and will more easily match and contrast well.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 7:26PM
gurukaram
Large pattern!
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 7:27PM
Marilyn Wilkie
In our current kitchen we have glass mosaic tile in shades of blue, white and green. In the home we are fixing up to be our retirement home we used standard white 3 x 6 subway to the ceiling. I like many types of tile. It is my favorite choice for a backsplash...
1 Like   October 27, 2013 at 7:28PM
garyroutt
love the contempory twist on the ole' subway tile!
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 7:36PM
Susan Mahoney
classic subway never outdated
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 7:40PM
acw2355
To diyher at 5 hours ago regarding subway tile. You ask "why is everyone acting like it's been around forever?? " Well it has been in the States and the UK since 1901. People are still drawn to using it for various reasons.
1 Like   October 27, 2013 at 8:00PM
annieb501
Marrazi Montagna Porcelain tile on floor and six inch tall boarder for counters. Simple to complement custom cherry wood arts & crafts cabinets.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 8:16PM
kubad3
Basically, the style of your kitchen best determinds what type of tiles that suit you best. Even tho my 70s kitchen needs a remodel, hopefully on a few years. I have modern decor. I like something brilliant, shinny, something that stands out. Everyone has their own styles & tastes
2 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 8:17PM
sabway
we are in the middle of installing our subway-style backsplash (spacers are still in) and so far we have green glass and a strip of darker greens, greys and small "stainless" pieces. We cut a 12x12 piece of tile that was $15.99 into 6 strips of 2x12" and got alot more bang for our buck than buying the strips for $6 bucks each. My husband wants white grout but I think it should be some version of light gray.
3 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 8:22PM
hbarreca
I would prefer a custom mosiac tile as a unique accent in my home.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 8:40PM
b2kevans
classic subways tiles, complement any style and the myriad colors & finishes make it the best IMP. I love it!!
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 8:43PM
katherinedstuart
We don't have anything now (about to remodel) but I would love subway tile!
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 8:44PM
judyfrerichs
subway for me looks nice with every kitchen
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 8:46PM
bethak
Subway tiles and mosaics are too popular now.......will look like Old World styling does to us now in 5 years ....too dated. Continuation of a spectacular granite countertop to the backsplash is clean, classic and simple.
1 Like   October 27, 2013 at 8:49PM
eightpondfarm
so agree w/bethak about the subway tiles being overused. same w/granite counter tops and stainless steel appliances.... 'dated' already!
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 8:59PM
74corralitos
Subway tiles ,hands down, are my favorite. Especially in a tumbled style.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 9:03PM
fefie
I like the Subway tile because I don't want to change tiles every other year ! But aside from the tiles shown I would want shell-tiles for my kitchen
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 9:07PM
fefie
Hmmm.......what I wonder is : how is one supposed to cook if the backsplash has those tiny little tiles with all the grout in between that gets grease splattered and sticky. Does anyone actually cook in the kitchen? How long would a mosaic backsplash look nice? It would be very hard to clean. For me the kitchen is first and foremost for cooking and not just to look at. !
2 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 9:14PM
bzachs
I love the mosaic backsplash, probably because I am a Mosaic Artist!
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 9:15PM
bluejeanroy
My dream kitchen backsplash is mosaic made from broken fine china. My kitchen is blue and white so I have been collecting blue willow type dishes along with pretty florals for variety. The cost is minimal because I'm using damage dishes. Most I've been able to pick up free at garage sales, auctions and by asking at estate sales. Below is a picture of an outdoor wall that has been done similar to the way I want to do my backsplash. I don't think I want to show the back side of dishes or use cups though. I want my surface to be smoother.
3 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 9:45PM
ldlg2
Classic all the way! It goes with any changes that might take place in future... subway tile
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 10:17PM
tinksmess
I enjoy the combination of the tile with flooring and cupboards. This seems like it is something that you won't get tired of right away. My kitchen is presently in the process of renovation. The last remodel was an update of a 1924 kitchen done in 1945. So I look at my kitchen remodel as my forever kitchen. I also liked the kitchen with the large patterned tile. Even though it is quite lovely I think I would want a change after a few years.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 10:27PM
Elaine Jenkins
The subway nice, but I really like the mirrored tile as it is shown here. Really nice and reflects light that makes this a focal point in the room.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 11:25PM
Jocelyn Tress
I chose a combination, subway & diagonal in a few colors of stainless steel tiles, timeless, clean lines & easy to clean.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 11:28PM
Kisha Christian
Loving the subway tile
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 11:38PM
tstreletz
Subway
1 Like   October 27, 2013 at 11:44PM
Kathy Sanders
I like the herringbone because it the pattern expands the space, due to its diagonal lines, as well as being visually interesting without overwhelming.
0 Likes   October 28, 2013 at 12:03AM
Karla Daugherty Agamy-Lane
Custom Mosiac is beautiful.
0 Likes   October 28, 2013 at 12:38AM
ggsbrady
I vote for travertine.
0 Likes   October 28, 2013 at 12:53AM
pegbasket
I love subways in sea green
1 Like   October 28, 2013 at 1:55AM
Jacquelyn Wright
Looks very clean. Love this!
0 Likes   October 28, 2013 at 3:56AM
Karen Peak
I plan to remodel my kitchen in the future. Right now I have no backsplash tile, only wallpaper. The diagonal is my favorite.
0 Likes   October 28, 2013 at 3:56AM
susanbaker
Love the classic subway, traditional and clean. color can be added to the walls and accessories.
0 Likes   October 28, 2013 at 4:01AM
tammydd34
Right now I have a bead board backsplash. Trying to decide on a tile as we have done a lot of updating over the last few months. Leaning towards a subway with maybe some limestone as an accent. Not sure yet.
0 Likes   October 28, 2013 at 5:37AM
dimcf
SUBWAY,,WE HAVE PICTURES OF SUBWAY TILE IN PARIS METRO,,,NOW WE HAVE AN OLD KITCHEN TO REHAB! SUBWAY!
0 Likes   October 28, 2013 at 5:53AM
cmlaplant
Diagonal with glass and stone mosiac inserts. With mosiac only above stove. Love it!
0 Likes   October 28, 2013 at 6:03AM
Crimson Design & Construction
There must be something wrong with me. I'm not a fan of subway tile at all.
0 Likes   October 28, 2013 at 6:08AM
pattigut
pattigut
I'm really attracted to glass tile and trying to make a decision for our kitchen reno this coming summer.
0 Likes   October 28, 2013 at 6:15AM
janiegirl1949
Prefer neutral tile to serve as background for colorful vintage china display.
0 Likes   October 28, 2013 at 6:17AM
DMH DESIGN
We don't have any kitchen tile presently, unlike virtually every project I design these days--just a large cast iron double drainboard sink! Although very nice as a period piece, our wish to update our kitchen with quartz counters and a mosaic tile backsplash in the near future.
0 Likes   October 28, 2013 at 6:27AM
llseybold
Glass tile. You can make it wild or subdued and it does wonderful things with the light!
0 Likes   October 28, 2013 at 6:51AM
kellydesigns
Subway and the longer subway at that! It adds length and doesn't look as choppy as mosaics.
0 Likes   October 28, 2013 at 6:56AM
pbpegg
Subway is safe and neutral, but I am so drawn to color! Everything becomes dated no matter when you remodel. I remodeled my kitchen with gorgeous granite and limestone subway backsplash. After two years, it already looks dated and I regret the wild tones of the granite.
0 Likes   October 28, 2013 at 7:06AM
KFins
Not a fan of subway or mirror. I like glass but only if it's in the right colors. Wouldn't mind a mosaic, but nothing as detailed as the ones shown! Just a simple pattern would do me fine!
0 Likes   October 28, 2013 at 7:07AM
mamaorange
We have a lovely glass subway tile in our contemporary kitchen. We installed it upright and stacked, instead of brick style. It is fresh and modern feeling.
0 Likes   October 28, 2013 at 7:28AM
knesteroff
I like to mirrored or reflective glass tile as the kitchen will be all white and I want to reflect the opposite out side light and garden with in the kitchen, or even some highlighted splashes of color. Others are a little too busy and will date more I feel.
0 Likes   October 28, 2013 at 7:41AM
goodblood52
I selected other as I like a 4 x 4 glass iridescent field tile with a medallion or design of some sort in the same tile family over the stove. We renovated our small kitchen over 10 years ago in our Townhouse which you can see the kitchen from every room downstairs. Everyone comments the moment they walk in on the 'work of art' in the kitchen and how inviting it is. I am afraid subway tile is overused and too modern. 4 x 4 glass will never go out of style. I used sand blasted blue tile as field tile and a clear glass medallion. Unfortunately it is not around anymore but Oceanside Glass has similar designs. The granite is blue pearl which is timeless.
1 Like   October 28, 2013 at 7:44AM
360 Solutions
Love the subway tile - it’s clean and timeless and let’s face it we’re not changing the backsplash every few years. Also consider stacking the subway tile as this approach presents a little more modern, but is still in keeping with a good investment approach.
0 Likes   October 28, 2013 at 7:45AM
Sandy Burns
I like the subway tile and the travertine look. Both can go good with anything.
0 Likes   October 28, 2013 at 7:48AM
buffym22
I like the diag. Maybe it's the kitchen itself... has a warmer look / feel to it - cozy and inviting. The others look a little sterile.
1 Like   October 28, 2013 at 8:02AM
Kathy Wilcox
Of your patterns, I like the herringbone, although I will probably choose glass mosaic/ subway combinatiion when I redo my kitchen. Our home has diagonal tan 4" tiles that match the 12" tile on the floor and the tan walls, cabinets, baseboards, and crown moldings.Wall paper in green at ends and in breakfast nook is green with gold. Been in the house 3 years and focused on areas easier/ less expensive to redecorate. The kitchen is huge, and I like the granite and appliances, so we will have to do it by painting lower cabinets and replacing doors if we change out the upper cabinets. I guarantee more COLOR!
0 Likes   October 28, 2013 at 8:05AM
hollyks
Classic subway tile!
0 Likes   October 28, 2013 at 8:09AM
kbuttjer
We have gray glass 1" mosaic tiles...LOVE our glass back splash!!
2 Likes   October 28, 2013 at 8:30AM
Pam Wallace
I love the look of classic subway tile. But subway tiles aren't always the best pick. It really depends on the style of your kitchen, what feel you want and how you use your kitchen.
1 Like   October 28, 2013 at 8:30AM
Kim Witman
I'm pretty traditional but I loved the Herringbone in that pattern.
0 Likes   October 28, 2013 at 8:35AM
kmarsenault
Subway tile is always classic, just did our home in the exact same way. No need to update in again in 10 years! Love it!
0 Likes   October 28, 2013 at 8:41AM
shellyj
I love the diagonal tile. it leaves me with a warm feeling.
1 Like   October 28, 2013 at 8:48AM
Clary McAlpine
The custom mosiac is my favorite. I just moved to 2 acres that my folks built a house on in 1974. When they sold it, the people that bought it did nothing for 30 years. Currently there is no backsplash at all, and I love to bring the outdoors in!
1 Like   October 28, 2013 at 9:03AM
hhartmann
Love the classic subway tile. It never goes out of style and works with just about every kitchen.
0 Likes   October 28, 2013 at 9:11AM
kubad3
Its amazing how the times have changed & "whats in & whats not". My kitchen cabinets are f rom the 70's. plan to undate in a few years. Its all in the style of kitchen cabinets that you have. Then determining the back splash
0 Likes   October 28, 2013 at 9:15AM
narsis1987
i dont like any of them.I"ll attach my favorit tile soon.
0 Likes   October 28, 2013 at 9:25AM
manuelde
I like the diagonal tile. Getting ready to redo my kitchen!
0 Likes   October 28, 2013 at 9:40AM
Alessa Wagenbrenner
Love the large pattern tile in the open wall, it make the space have lots of character and color. I also like it because it give me an idea for my large outdated
0 Likes   October 28, 2013 at 9:43AM
duke215
Glass Tile is my favorite!!! Adds pizzazz and modernizes the space!
0 Likes   October 28, 2013 at 9:50AM
joaniee
just right
0 Likes   October 28, 2013 at 9:52AM
kubad3
It all depends on the style of your kitchen. If you have a country kitchen, you dont want to put in shiney mosaic tile? I know I wouldnt
0 Likes   October 28, 2013 at 10:02AM
fishfishfish999
I love mosaic tiles but subway is calm and classic\
0 Likes   October 28, 2013 at 10:08AM
Karen Wertz
I just put subway tile in my new kitchen - it is timeless.
0 Likes   October 28, 2013 at 10:20AM
Baltimore Design Group
Mosaic tiles allow me to create thematic focal points in my clients' kitchens.
0 Likes   October 28, 2013 at 10:25AM
mariepaulekirkwood
I definitely will put subway tiles in my kitchen, we are renovating an old country cottage into a 4 seasons home.
0 Likes   October 28, 2013 at 11:33AM
lovncolor
Subway tile! The kitchen photo used above for subway tile voting is in my ideabook and was used as inspiration for remodeling my kitchen.
3 Likes   October 28, 2013 at 11:38AM
Room Resolutions
We love this tile backsplash we just installed for our client! It is polished 12 x 24's with a copper metalic accent strip. A nice modern look!
1 Like   October 28, 2013 at 11:45AM
scruffles1
We have slate tile in our kitchen and it also surrounds the fireplace that you can see from the kitchen. If I were to build a new home I would want subway tile--love the way it looks.
0 Likes   October 28, 2013 at 11:48AM
pcg19
Subway tile with dark grout is classic, but I do think that pattern tile in small area adds such interest
0 Likes   October 28, 2013 at 11:56AM
marchere2003
....love the subway tile!!!!!
0 Likes   October 28, 2013 at 11:58AM
lone star collection
subway always
0 Likes   October 28, 2013 at 12:25PM
jimmierooney
I have a small amount of stainless steel trim in my kitchen that matches my appliances. I feel that most people overuse tile and that they should just be accents, not a whole lot of "busy-ness" with mixed patterns that distract from the architecture. I'm a minimalist and kitchens can get too cluttered looking.
1 Like   October 28, 2013 at 12:47PM
tktrang
love the modern look of herringbone tiles
0 Likes   October 28, 2013 at 12:51PM
louwetzel
I believe the subway tile is the most timeless and allows you to decorate around them
0 Likes   October 28, 2013 at 12:52PM
webezebe
In a kitche or bath for that matter the less small tiles to have to scrub around the better, I would opt for the large format tiles. The patterns are crazy good and colorful.
1 Like   October 28, 2013 at 12:59PM
designgene
Other tile: artisan tile, and if combined with a complementary matte stone or ceramic tile, it would be a stunning stove backsplash. As an example, here's "16 squares" by Lori Katz (http://www.artfulhome.com/product/Ceramic-Wall-Art/Sixteen-Squares/72748); and artisan ceramic tile by Neisha Crosland, UK (http://www.neishacrosland.com/store/index.php?id_product=173&controller=product)
1 Like   October 28, 2013 at 2:34PM
cgood4
would love what houzz.com showed...don't have, but would love.
0 Likes   October 28, 2013 at 2:36PM
amyjoy1
Subway Tile the Classy and Clean look. Tile installation of tile is pretty much permanent so changing out appliances or countertops will work well around subway tile.
0 Likes   October 28, 2013 at 2:37PM
landrey
Large format tile
1 Like   October 28, 2013 at 3:35PM
hathpat
The subway tile speaks to me of quiet elegance, and suggests that the other kitchen elements share that same ambiance. It's the backdrop in my dream kitchen.
0 Likes   October 28, 2013 at 4:52PM
Chris Lyons
I am redoing my kitchen and backsplash. Although the designer wanted to get me to choose a more intricate look I steadfastly insisted on a subway tile in neutral porcelain. I will have some glass inset subways tiles.
0 Likes   October 28, 2013 at 5:11PM
sharon00
I like classic...subway and herringbone. I have bead board; no tile.
0 Likes   October 28, 2013 at 5:36PM
acw2355
and it's 'Subway' at the front...'Other' is trailing behind...
0 Likes   October 28, 2013 at 7:09PM
Michael Lee, Inc
Love a great hand-painted European Old World tile - keep it classy Houzz!
1 Like   October 28, 2013 at 7:12PM
Michael Lee, Inc
Classy Houzz! This is totally my style
1 Like   October 28, 2013 at 7:16PM
Michelle Iribarren
I love the mosaic, our home should reflect who we are and my style says mosaic
1 Like   October 28, 2013 at 7:28PM
chellewenz
Herringbone definitely.
0 Likes   October 28, 2013 at 7:34PM
suzanne_m
Plain glass strips tiles.
0 Likes   October 28, 2013 at 7:49PM
eightpondfarm
our house is stone, even the kitchen walls, our granite counter has a 6" backsplash in front of the stone. if we had a regular wall, i would not tile. not because i don't like tiles, because i do, but because i just wouldn't want to deal with cleaning all the grout. i'd use a metal sheet, or wallpaper.....something that's easy to just wipe clean. i don't 'get' this tile fad ...
0 Likes   October 28, 2013 at 7:54PM
kubad3
You see your cabinets walking into a room, countertops, from a glance, if not up close. But your backsplash is what draws you to your kitchen. It should actually draw light in; the first thing that grabbs your attention

.
0 Likes   October 28, 2013 at 9:06PM
dred925
I love the herringbone:) For my dream home!
0 Likes   October 28, 2013 at 9:26PM
ritadok
large print tile is the most welcoming and exciting. that makes the kitchen personal and defines the cooking area as a palace like setting. For a person, who likes to cook- best place ever.
1 Like   October 28, 2013 at 11:42PM
lesliedisler
I have had stainless steel backsplash in my kitchen and it goes with everything.....less issues about grout lines, patterning and such a clean design element. And easy to clean!
1 Like   October 29, 2013 at 12:18AM
mariafix
I am doing subway tile in my new kitchen!
0 Likes   October 29, 2013 at 4:24AM
wine_and_roses
I love both the mirror tile and the subway tile - mirror tile won, it just work so well with that kitchen! We are in the process of picking out a white or clear glass tile for our kitchen backsplash :)
1 Like   October 29, 2013 at 4:39AM
franciepancie
Subway for me as well.
0 Likes   October 29, 2013 at 5:41AM
elainejoyce2
My fav. is subway tile. Though I do like glass tile and a fews others, I have a need for simple, calming decoration. You can always add accent color.
0 Likes   October 29, 2013 at 6:09AM
LLB Traditional Design
LLB Traditional Design
Subway classic is my favorite. Remodel or new construction, there are so many ways to combine your own style with this:o)
0 Likes   October 29, 2013 at 6:45AM
Powers Properties
Love the subway tile! Looks like its a winner!
0 Likes   October 29, 2013 at 6:53AM
junocat
I was debating between subway and herringbone for the backsplash for my kitchen remodel that is now underway, now I am leaning toward herringbone more and more...the look is modern but classic, timeless and elegant. I am on the hunt for 2X8 in either travertine or slate in soft grayish white to go with my light gray cabinets and St Laurent Pental quartz countertop. It is going to be a sweet kitchen!
0 Likes   October 29, 2013 at 6:59AM
Sue Stentz
Herringbone is classic yet different. Subway is nice,too,if used in forms different than the
run of the mill
0 Likes   October 29, 2013 at 7:33AM
DutchCrafters Amish Furniture
Love the large pattern and herringbone!
0 Likes   October 29, 2013 at 7:57AM
bonniejean001
I was born and raised in NYC so subway tiles makeme feel at home.
1 Like   October 29, 2013 at 8:29AM
Studio M Interior Design
The subway tile looks great, but that herringbone pattern is divine!
0 Likes   October 29, 2013 at 8:29AM
trinimuddah
I'm doing a mixture of subway and glass mosaic which compliments yet contrasts with my colonial gold granite countertop.
1 Like   October 29, 2013 at 8:39AM
kubad3
To me, your backsplash is th vocal point in your kitchen
0 Likes   October 29, 2013 at 8:47AM
JT Mullins
Subway tile. Simple, classy, clean.
0 Likes   October 29, 2013 at 9:33AM
mock3010
Subway Tiles, newest twist for another look at the classics we have loved for so long.
0 Likes   October 29, 2013 at 9:36AM
wens13
Glass subway tile..we have it and we love it!
0 Likes   October 29, 2013 at 9:58AM
Georgia Langsam
The subway tile is nice and traditional - doesn't jump out at you too much.
0 Likes   October 29, 2013 at 11:09AM
jtboyd
I love the mirror tile. I have always been a mirror person. It makes everything look so clean.
0 Likes   October 29, 2013 at 12:06PM
Denise Tuminaro
Love the subway and the diagonal. Just finished tiling mine this weekend. Grouting this week.
1 Like   October 29, 2013 at 1:22PM
kane820
I like the subway tile. My contractor just finished removing my cabinets to take to his shop to paint. They will be a light cream color with granite counters tops. I am waiting for the granite to be installed before I choose the backsplash, I am leaning towards subway tile.
0 Likes   October 29, 2013 at 2:06PM
carmelital
Subway tile! Timeless!
0 Likes   October 29, 2013 at 2:49PM
sharitrusty
Subway tile, but my favorite ones are the very small ones. An update on an old style.
0 Likes   October 29, 2013 at 2:59PM
mefb277
I still love subway tile. Some say it's getting old but old is what it is and it's still going strong- like a true classic it gets old but is always timeless.
0 Likes   October 29, 2013 at 3:18PM
annexxe
Subway has a classy, timeless look
0 Likes   October 29, 2013 at 3:35PM
harrahim
Subway, baby!
0 Likes   October 29, 2013 at 3:37PM
tanyazl
I like subway tile!
0 Likes   October 29, 2013 at 4:06PM
crankin1
Catherine Rankin
I love the glass tile. It is so elegant. So many kitchens profiled on HOUZZ are open to a larger living space so I think that this touch of class with the glass tiles makes the kitchen space rise above functional to beauty.
0 Likes   October 29, 2013 at 4:43PM
213windemere
there is nothing unique anymore. subway tile is everywhere. i choose the custom mosaic tile because it is something different for a change.
0 Likes   October 29, 2013 at 4:59PM
cpk52
My vote is for the subway tile. We just updated our 21 year old kitchen with it and it is gorgeous!!!
0 Likes   October 29, 2013 at 6:06PM
fabulouslife
Herringbone ! So royal!
0 Likes   October 29, 2013 at 6:16PM
sshar10
We have a combination of mottled brown/black granite slab off-set slightly above foot-square shiny black granite tiles--my husband's idea, and it simply looks great!
0 Likes   October 29, 2013 at 8:03PM
merrylark
Herringbone is Thee classic to me! I also Love the custom mosaic also, but would have to absolutely love the pattern as I know my taste changes through the years and wouldn't want to be stuck with a certain motif, etc.. Been there, done that the bathroom is where I would love to have custom mosaic I have never been a fan of subway tile, although, I have seen it on a vertical rather than the typical horizontal layout and it was nice. Now I see Claudia's "pillow" tile and I'm really liking that one too!
0 Likes   October 29, 2013 at 9:04PM
teruko
I chose marble subway tile over my range, and I never tired of looking at it...classic design.
0 Likes   October 29, 2013 at 10:01PM
calidesign
Subway tile is classic and you will never get tired of it.
0 Likes   October 29, 2013 at 10:16PM
merrylark
Marble- anyway you have it, is beautiful. I'm very happy for everyone who likes their subway tiles, but I find them boring and depressing. Maybe it has yet to grow on me, but seeing how it's been popular for some time now, I don't think so. Maybe it goes back to that whole subway thing- dark, dreary, dirty... Though I would choose a subway tile over a busy tile. As they say, "to each their own".
0 Likes   October 29, 2013 at 10:41PM
loststar
Subway tile hands down, classic, clean, modern or traditional. I would never get tired of it. It's like "hardwood floors".
0 Likes   October 29, 2013 at 11:23PM
brobicho
I've got 3x12 glass subway tile and LOVE it!
0 Likes   October 30, 2013 at 1:51AM
Amanda
Mosaic tile
0 Likes   October 30, 2013 at 9:32AM
rmarlenejulian
Subway tile is the only one of these choices that I really like! It's classic, clean, and blends rather than compete with other styles in the kitchen. I just moved into a patio home and plan to use this tile in my kitchen.
0 Likes   October 30, 2013 at 9:34AM
alwaysdesigning
I voted "other" because I wanted an organic look in our new house. We chose Jeffrey Court's mosaic tile in slate and copper. It's just installed and not grouted yet, but it will be exactly what I wanted, with Uba Tuba honed granite countertops, that are currently covered for protection.
2 Likes   October 30, 2013 at 9:41AM
llbinding
I voted for Other, and chose a soft looking grey porcelain to offset a dark granite and white cupboards. Not in yet but am anxiously waiting.
0 Likes   October 30, 2013 at 10:00AM
vbalchin
subway tile goes with everything else in the kitchen
0 Likes   October 30, 2013 at 10:03AM
thedarlingsbecca
I prefer the countertops to be neutral and to go up the wall - no tile, absolutely no grout! I don't like the elongated brick shape of the subway tile. Bigger, not so bad. Reminds me of public bathrooms. Not what I would want in my kitchen! Love the herringbone, but would not use it. Same with mirrors.
0 Likes   October 30, 2013 at 10:10AM
conniescaggs1
I agree glass subway or white subway is classic but clean I love it!!
0 Likes   October 30, 2013 at 10:29AM
jennifc
I like diagonal. If used with the right color balance it can add dimension without over complicating
0 Likes   October 30, 2013 at 11:35AM
sewkraz
I've purchased subway tile for my kitchen. I'm going to place it vertically with striped accents of colored glass tile.
0 Likes   October 30, 2013 at 3:43PM
oakleyspanky
We have cream and pearl penny round tile in the kitchen and love it!
2 Likes   October 30, 2013 at 4:04PM
Kim Grant
herringbone so beautiful but classic
0 Likes   October 30, 2013 at 5:17PM
az3160
I like glass too! So very pretty but it does depend on the kitchen.
0 Likes   October 30, 2013 at 5:43PM
ZS Interior Design
Herringbone or subway, both nice in the photo's provided
1 Like   October 30, 2013 at 5:46PM
Melany Cassidy-Wise
I need. A remodel desperately. Peel and stick fixer upper urggggh
0 Likes   October 30, 2013 at 6:05PM
adobe7
our 1960's kitchen had stainless steel tiles behind the stove/oven. Some were in bad shape. I chipped them out and replaced them with cheep peel & stick stainless steel tiles (very cheap). I "peeled" them and then used tile adhesive left over from a bathroom project. They are permanent (up and cleanable for 3 years now). All the tiles look as if they were put up on the same day - nice and shiny too!
0 Likes   October 30, 2013 at 6:23PM
netta_marie
I chose a basket weave pattern for my kitchen but I have always loved the look of herringbone.
0 Likes   October 30, 2013 at 7:22PM
kubad3
No matter what your preference, striking details around the stove area are impressive to me
1 Like   October 30, 2013 at 8:21PM
susanwales
Interesting how the majority loves the clean look of the subway tile.
0 Likes   October 31, 2013 at 4:58AM
pkhjacobs
Subway tile for the traditional, classic look!
0 Likes   October 31, 2013 at 5:06AM
danandvicki
Going with subway tiles in my new kitchen, just like the one in the movie Somethings Gotta Give!! Love the look!!
0 Likes   October 31, 2013 at 5:51AM
Sandra Walsh
All are really nice and it really depends on the decor of the room. For my kitchen, a traditional spanish mosaic would look great!
1 Like   October 31, 2013 at 6:04AM
LeiLani
I love the mirror tiles and plan to redo my kitchen next spring - my tiny 9' 10" x 10' kitchen - I think the mirrored tile would help bounce light around the room and give it a glam look.
0 Likes   October 31, 2013 at 6:39AM
kubad3
Mirror tiles would make a room look larger than what it is
0 Likes   October 31, 2013 at 7:33AM
momof5x
I love the Custom Mosaic Tile-thus my vote! I would love to have something like that in my kitchen but already have new kitchen ( new home) and now working on some final touches. I have photo here.
0 Likes   October 31, 2013 at 7:45AM
almv4home
I will take the Subway; it will get you where you want to go. It is very versitile (no pun intended) to many styles, and comes in different colors too. I currently have no tile where I rent, but would like to have Subway tile in my kitchen or bath, or maybe both. My final home will give me the feel of stream lined living.
0 Likes   October 31, 2013 at 8:09AM
mary31919
I love tumbled marble...subway looks too much like a public space such as a restaurant kitchen or a ...subway! For a slick, modern look, mirrored tile for sure.
0 Likes   October 31, 2013 at 12:47PM
jstower
I have built several homes and we always tend to go back to the Earthy Collection (i.e., Travertine). If I had a choice between Diagonal or Subway, I would go with the Diagonal.
1 Like   November 1, 2013 at 5:14AM
kubad3
To me, anyhting would be better than the wall paper that I have on my kitchen backsplash right now
0 Likes   November 1, 2013 at 9:06AM
ernestof
nothing beats classic white subway tiles!
0 Likes   November 1, 2013 at 10:04AM
tomjpen
4 x 4 subway tile
0 Likes   November 1, 2013 at 8:31PM
kgarrison1
Heath ceramic hand glazed tiles in a herringbone arrangement
0 Likes   November 1, 2013 at 8:58PM
anonyannie
sandys
Although I haven't seen it done, I would like to see what glass subway would look like if the " sheets" of tile were alternated--horizontal, vertical, horizontal, etc. Each placement would have some small square blank spots that could either be filled with cut pieces of the same tile or contrasting squares.
0 Likes   November 1, 2013 at 10:52PM
Joanne Gribbins
Subway tiles have always been a favorite of mine. Nostalgic.
0 Likes   November 1, 2013 at 11:17PM
dianas2743
I have 38 sq ft of mosaic tile waiting to be installed. I can't find anyone that has the skill plus the time to install it! ;/
0 Likes   November 2, 2013 at 5:43AM
All 4 Show, LLC
Subway!! All the way.... :)
0 Likes   November 2, 2013 at 6:14AM
Chandani
love the herringbone in the soft muted colours.
0 Likes   November 2, 2013 at 8:05AM
sbrustein
I like subway but diamond oriented tile works best in a traditional kitchen. Mine was originally all one color so as not to detract from my busy granite, but it was boring so I added accent tiles from Sonomma. It also picks up the black in the granite.
2 Likes   November 2, 2013 at 8:29AM
anonyannie
OMG-I have outdated backsplashes in kitchen and want to REPLACE the accent tiles--how did you remove the existing white ones where you wanted to put in ?
0 Likes   November 2, 2013 at 9:01AM
sbrustein
Anonyannie- my contractor pulled out some of the original accent tiles that I disliked after I had the new ones. He was careful and I had extra originals cause he broke some adjacent tiles in the process. The new accent tiles were expensive as was his labor - but I am so very happy with the new look.
0 Likes   November 2, 2013 at 1:14PM
anonyannie
Thank you SO much for responding! Does NOT sound DIY, but worth doing!
0 Likes   November 2, 2013 at 2:51PM
jcraw23
I love the subway tile -- classic -- don't think I would get tired of it.
0 Likes   November 2, 2013 at 4:03PM
kubad3
ALot of beautiful choices here, But I think I would pick something classic. SOmething that will not go out of style for years
0 Likes   November 2, 2013 at 6:14PM
rosearieta
I am a person who studies the history of my ancestry. From the 60's onward, I fell in love with the workmanship of the NY city subway and realized the everyday commuter doesn't pay attention to this magnificent art work. The intricate tile work is amazing and the thought of the Italians workmanship laying those tiles is overwhelming to me.
While visiting a tile store in Allentown, PA, I noticed this type of tile and mentioned to the sales rep. "I know I've seen this tile before." He had no idea what I was referring to and then it dawned on me..."it's from the NY city subway." He was very much surprised and informed me it was one of his most expensive tile and best seller. As much as I love the look of the tile, I don't think I would want my kitchen to remind me of the NY city subway....unless an Italian artisan would install it. But I would vote for this tile anyway.
0 Likes   November 3, 2013 at 7:04AM
kenncla
I like the new penny tile it is so different and looks great iam putting it in my kitchen for sure
0 Likes   November 3, 2013 at 7:19AM
Cindy Appleget
My preferences are clean organized visual lines. I feel patterns interfere with other decorating choices with respect to focal points thus limit interchangeability.

My first choice would have been the diagonal, but I would have preferred a smaller tile size.
I like the size and symmetry, essentially, the "clean" look of subway tiles, but would investigate grout choices to ensure flexibility for focal points. I do feel that subtly colored grout would create more interest without being intrusive.
0 Likes   November 3, 2013 at 9:05AM
gsbri
I used white glass with a band of SS to compliment, contrast and brighten the under cabinet space.
5 Likes   November 3, 2013 at 9:16AM
Cindy Appleget
Oh wow.. that touch of color really compliments! Great choice!
0 Likes   November 3, 2013 at 8:19PM
kubad3
Being that my 70's kitchen needs updated, I do not know alot about the above materials. Just want something attractive & something that you can easily kee[ clean & attractive
1 Like   November 3, 2013 at 8:45PM
chookchook2
Mosaic of a schooner ship. If did have subway tiles, a sign saying " No spitting in the railway station".
1 Like   November 3, 2013 at 8:57PM
Glass Tile Store
I love herringbone tiles. It just looks so classy! (and if anyone needs a supplier, we have herringbone tiles at glasstilestore.com) Then again, with the right kind of interior design and decorating, most tiles will look classy :)
0 Likes   November 4, 2013 at 5:59AM
Jeannie Nguyen
CONGRATULATIONS to @sherry403 for winning her very own pair of Houzz slippers! If you missed out on this one, don't worry, you still have some time to get your comments into our Bedroom Views Poll! http://www.houzz.com/discussions/708494/Comment-for-a-chance-to-win--POLL--Best-bedroom
2 Likes   November 4, 2013 at 10:01AM
Keesee and Associates, Inc.
I like the simplicity of subway tile in a traditional kitchen that leaves the focus on great cabinetry. But I also love the design impact of herringbone tile in a modern set up. Herringbone is a classic pattern to use as an accent to sleek, modern cabinetry.
0 Likes   November 4, 2013 at 12:32PM
tiffanydb76
I was determined not to use subway in my reno. I felt it was so overdone, even though it looked good. But I did use it, in a basement bathroom.

As for this poll, I absolutely love the detailed tile. If my space worked with that, I would be all over it.
3 Likes   November 4, 2013 at 4:34PM
kubad3
WHen and if I do update my 70's cabinets & do my wall splash, I like my wall splash to corridinate with my flooring. Its breaks it up looking at cabinet, splash, and floor
0 Likes   November 4, 2013 at 7:55PM
kubad3
ANy of the above has to be better than the wall paper that I use as a back splash!!!
0 Likes   November 4, 2013 at 8:25PM
Carol Ramunno
I love white Moroccan mosaic
2 Likes   November 4, 2013 at 10:22PM
Théa Morash
I am still trying to decide on a colour, but it's going to be glass subway tile for me. It's timeless and something I don't expect to be bored with in a few years (with any luck)!
0 Likes   November 5, 2013 at 2:22AM
bnmnelson
I voted other--I have never been a fan of tile and the grout that needs cleaning in a kitchen. I have refused to rent a house due to tile countertops. And I can't begin to imagine the mess it would be to remove the tile when the love affair with tile is over! But to each his own...glad we can each make our houses our own,.
0 Likes   November 10, 2013 at 6:37PM
kubad3
Its truely amazing on the intervention & technology that we have today. In the 60's-70's. I remember my family having walltex on the wall. Each & every one of these styles are beautiful to fit your kitchen era, country, modern, whatever your taste
1 Like   November 10, 2013 at 7:13PM
bruceperrin
Although subway tile would be my generic selection in this query, each of the others and some I have seen that are not listed here have been used in specific combination with other materials to very good result and I would likely select any one of them with the right set of circumstances
1 Like   November 11, 2013 at 8:59AM
kubad3
Have to admit, the subway tile is my favorate. Its classic, goes with anything & never goes out of style & its not overpowering.. No matter if you should change your cabinets, it will go with everyhting
0 Likes   November 11, 2013 at 1:50PM
bungalowmo
I do like many different styles of tile, but I can't wait until this whole "tan color" fad is done. Wow...not a pretty color.
0 Likes   November 11, 2013 at 3:17PM
happyasaclam
Can't go wrong with subway tile!
0 Likes   November 11, 2013 at 3:31PM
kubad3
After consideration, I would love the subwat tile, Not whiteor beige tho, I prefer a light folor that would stand out & pop
0 Likes   November 11, 2013 at 9:44PM
kubad3
sumway tile is timeless, no matter what angle you use it as
0 Likes   November 15, 2013 at 7:56PM
sdtjl1010
I have always wanted a mural of some sort above the range, so I chose custom mosaic tile. We have artists on both sides of the family, as well as friends who are artists. I would chose one of their pieces to be transferred to tile. It always comes back to family for me.
1 Like   November 17, 2013 at 2:20AM
Craftsman Timber Frame Ltd.
I love our glass tile backsplash in our kitchen with the soapstone counters.
4 Likes   November 17, 2013 at 3:01AM
mariquis
Ceramic
0 Likes   November 17, 2013 at 5:27AM
Caroline Dilbeck
We just redid our kitchen (more on that here:http://sylvanparklife.blogspot.com/search/label/kitchen). We chose white shaker-style solid wood cabinets with SW mindful grey walls, and charcoal colored porcelain floor tiles. This made the backsplash decision easy: white subway tiles to complete this classic look. The harder decision for us was which color grout: grey or white?
0 Likes   November 17, 2013 at 6:18AM
AliciaTappDesigns Images on Tiles
take a look at my fave kitchen tile backsplash Mosaics
http://www.mosaicsyourway.com
0 Likes   November 17, 2013 at 7:33AM
kubad3
They are all beautiful. But I have to wait until I can afford to update my kitchen, to determine what style of backsplash that I wasnt. Somthing durable, functional & washable. Color, then will be the most important factor
0 Likes   November 17, 2013 at 8:48AM
Jamie Wagner
Was a winner ever drawn for this?
1 Like   November 17, 2013 at 10:04AM
kubad3
Your kitchen is the center of all family gatherings, why not make it outstanding
0 Likes   November 17, 2013 at 6:27PM
sunnie2day
Kubad3, you're quite right about that! Even the smallest kitchens tend to be the one room in the house people gravitate to. Makes sense to go all out on that room.

We're going to be going through some family changes (son and grandson moving in) and are bumping out the kitchen to make room for bigger dining area (sigh, good-bye cute little bistro set, hello family style banquette!), hidden appliances, etc, and are now looking at this poll & discussion even closer than before - lots of great ideas and solutions re tiling brought up here. We accidentally fell back in love with tile for kitchen and bath during the reno-to-sell our former home and are now actively looking at tile for the reno'd kitchen and family bath+the new ensuite.
0 Likes   November 18, 2013 at 1:55AM
bubblyjock
I cooked a big brunch in a kitchen yesterday with 6" tumbled travertine tiles for countertops. Initially I thought it was going to be miserable, but by the time we were done I began to consider it for our our kitchen renovation, I liked it so much.

Tumbled travertine has a softness that is sadly lacking in granite, and is a nice mottled creamy colour, and a satin finish. No doubt it's a b*gger to clean when you spill red wine or cranberry juice, but it's easy to seal, very attractive, and if you're quick to clean up, I'd say it was worth that little bit of effort on maintenance.

And what's a kitchen, without a little mess and elbow grease! I always come back to the kitchens of the greats, such as Elizabeth David (Johnny Grey's aunty) or Julia Child - neither would garner much gushing admiration (no cruise-ship sized appliances or honking great granite islands), but both were home to women who revolutionized the way we cooked and ate for ever:
http://lukehoney.typepad.com/the_greasy_spoon/2013/09/elizabeth-davids-kitchen.html

1 Like   November 18, 2013 at 7:47AM
Wendy Stout
My daughter's house has the outlets under the cupboards for an uncut backsplash. She loves them. No outlets in the backsplash! I plan on doing that when we build our kitchen with black subway tiles. Has anyone done that? Thoughts about it?
0 Likes   November 18, 2013 at 9:21AM
lacable
I have a 1925 Sears house and would eventually like to combine the dining room and kitchen. Have already decided on subway tile for the majority of the kitchen but we probably go with mosaic tile for behind the stove. Will most likely use my own design. Recently taught myself how to do mosaic tiling. Started with two old bentwood chairs. It wasn't as hard as I originally thought.
4 Likes   December 10, 2013 at 8:27PM
Design With Distinction, LLC
Subway tile is classic and timeless!
0 Likes   December 10, 2013 at 8:37PM
Robt. Hagen
We're installing solid sheets of glass as backslash and wall behind exhaust hood. From Dreamwalls.
1 Like   December 10, 2013 at 8:42PM
karelina
Robt. Hagen: I've been thinking about the same thing. I don't know what dreamworlds is, but my idea was to use texture glass.
0 Likes   December 10, 2013 at 9:41PM
eightpondfarm
the less grout the better in a kitchen or bathroom! solid sheet of glass sounds like an easy cleanup .... would love to see a pic after. leacable, your mosaics are so well done, bet it was fun!
0 Likes   December 12, 2013 at 6:08AM
eightpondfarm
whoops... lacable
0 Likes   December 12, 2013 at 6:08AM
kubad3
The tin backsplash I was told cannot take extreme heat. Weather or not this is true, I do mot know, WOuld not take a chance. And the tin would be harder to to match to the decor of your kitchen. The decor of your kitchen would be the most important issue to me. Country, modern, etc. should leed you to your choice of backsplash. Account for dorability also
0 Likes   December 13, 2013 at 9:18PM
BuddyMeredith Spies
We're in the middle of a kitchen remodel as well, and we've decided on white subway tile with some kind of accent strip. We've been LOVING Houzz's pictures and discussions to give us ideas!
0 Likes   December 18, 2013 at 6:49AM
kubad3
The subway tile is classic, easy to clean. Using a natural color like white, beige, if you shouldever update your kitchen again, it goes with everyhting
0 Likes   December 18, 2013 at 9:07PM
Facings of America, Inc
Attached are two of the most frequently downloaded kitchen images on HOUZZ
0 Likes   December 18, 2013 at 9:47PM
danieBOB
Right now we have a brownish ceramic tile with wide grout lines on the counter. They only extend about 3" up the wall. The rest is white paint. The tiles and cabinets are original to our home - built in 1959.
0 Likes   December 18, 2013 at 10:19PM
Ed
Zero. Seamless merge with counter top. :)
0 Likes   December 19, 2013 at 2:01AM
alannah
For myself I would only choose subway tile as it is timeless. I don't want something that dates itself, like the KISS principle Keep It Simple Sweetie!
2 Likes   December 19, 2013 at 2:36AM
chookchook2
I never had to date myself, always had boyfriends.
2 Likes   December 19, 2013 at 3:22AM
dogmom5
I don't have any tile in our kitchen anymore. We hardly have any wall space and have a Corian backsplash to match the counters. However I am very interested in doing something with tile above my stove. There is a fan there which is under a short cabinet. I think a design would look good in the square above the stove. Want to do something different and haven't decided what yet.
1 Like   December 19, 2013 at 5:11PM
dogmom5
Oh, I like the subway tiles the best. The herringbone is attractive too but only if it's not used on a lot of wall space.
0 Likes   December 19, 2013 at 5:13PM
the essentials inside
Subway tile, but in the process of changing to glass.
essentialsinside.com
0 Likes   January 19, 2014 at 2:39PM
easternhomebuilder
no tile. wall behind stove painted. easy to clean up. builder recommended it, and he was right.
0 Likes   January 19, 2014 at 3:32PM
kubad3
the tile I would like the best it the tile that would be the easiest work for my husband to do, lol
1 Like   January 20, 2014 at 9:10PM
Boring Bedroom needs Quickie Update
I've grown tired of my minimalist bedroom and I am...
Close to pulling all my hair out. HELP PLEASE!
I'm not sure which countertop to go with between two...
Regrets when building a new house?
We are about to build a 2300 square foot 2 floor plus...
How do you finish the sides of exposed backsplash tile?
I have a random mosaic stone backsplash tile that will...
wood, wood, everywhere: am i getting closer?
last summer i went on a dining room decorating binge...