Home Office (Nautical Theme)
kthroop
Hi All! I am working on a small home office and was hoping for some insight. I have just finished painting; I went with "thrill seeker" blue.

I would greatly appreciate some input on the color and also the setup. I have a silver desk with tempered glass (pics soon) I would like to put in here, but not sure where to place it -- along with the chair.
gella81
Love the bold blue! Fantastic colour.
As for the layout - seems like you do not have a single solid wall in the room (2 of them having window, remaining 2 entrance door and closet). I'd start with deciding which desk placement works best in terms of lighting/reflection/privacy, and checking if the room can work around it
October 25, 2013 at 12:33PM   
Great wall color, I personally like to have the desk facing the door while having a view out the window as well.

October 25, 2013 at 3:17PM   
makennac
I'm going to assume your budget is tight and toss out frugal ideas. Facing the door would be great, as long as you can handle the glare on your computer screen and your outlets are available. (One option in this configuration is a well-grounded multi-plug strip with a surge protector.) I'd prefer white blinds, which can be inexpensive (HD). Valances would provide a finished look, and if you check on-line you will see how easy they are to sew and how inexpensive they are to purchase. Space permitting, pick up two nightstands of equal height (match doesn't matter) at a thrift shop or on Craig's List that you can chalk-paint n distress (white) to use as a credenza behind your desk, to hold your printer and for storage. As an alternative, one nightstand can be configured into the foot of an "L" unit beside your desk for use as your printer-stand and storage, and eat up less space. I'd steer clear of wicker bc eventually the drawers will stick, and dusting is a pain. I suggest a well-balanced desk lamp with a small base and a long, adjustable neck. IKEA is a great source. A blue and white rug in front of and beneath your desk would be nice, as long as you keep it away from the wheels of your chair. But those wheels could eventually nar your floor, so you might want to consider a mat (Office Max). Try to make room in your budget for a comfy chair n ottoman to pop into the corner of the room, so you can curl up when you want. Check the thrift shop for artwork also. Remember that your gallery can include 3D objects propped on shelves or hung on their own. If your closet goes back a foot or two, now is the time to put shelves in that area for additional storage. Cord "tamers" are a good idea (IKEA). I'd like to see the fan replaced or the blades painted white. If you don't need the fan for function, a mini crystal chandelier would be very pretty (Joss & Main). White waste basket with liners. Hope this helps. M
October 26, 2013 at 7:39AM   
Color looks very bold on computer. You need to break it up with white , window covers like roman shades. Or on budget try white bamboo with white fabric panels on stainless rods. Desk sounds nice float in room with a blue and white striped chair. Add some plants and art in pale pastels. Seascapes. .
October 26, 2013 at 8:03AM   
kthroop
Thanks for all the helpful comments! I have moved the desk in the room and tried floating it to face the door, but the space is much too small for this. I now have it facing the window on the left when you walk in.

I will get a picture up here to show. Originally, I had the desk on the right wall, but it seemed to close off the room and now I feel like there is more space. It is a double tier desk, which enables me to keep my printer on the second level.

I like the idea of getting a mat for the chair and a blue and white rug to cozy up the space. I have a few decorations already (boats, candle holders with rope and an anchor lamp), but I think I'll get a seascape painting of some sort.

Attached are some pictures with the desk on the right wall, but again I have moved it to the left wall to create space and will post pics soon. Please continue with any constructive criticisms or thoughts. Thanks!
October 28, 2013 at 11:45AM   
deck railing nautical theme
Want to incorporate stainless cable with wood railing...
Creating a loft over garage. Like nautical theme.
Limited budget. 24x11, knee wall 45" with barn board,...
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...
Country french interior doors
Do I paint doors or stain them? Wood work will be...
is this rug too busy?
Should i just get a simple rug and add color with pillows?...
Giant Gator Art?
First, thank you to GroverAxle who helped me get started...
How to hang artwork???
We have two matching pieces of art but would appreciate...