Aleandrea
aleandrea
What can be done to this room? Wall colors? Furniture?
Alexandrea - How exciting. Wood floors, neutral backdrop, hearth / fire and decent light. What colors are your favorites? Do you have any existing furniture / upholstery colors that you need to incorporate for now / want to use? Perhaps you could browse Houzz living spaces and save the ones you LOVE so we can see your style preferences?

Since the ideabook photos show a house w/ 4 bedrooms I'm guessing you have a young family. That means you need to incorporate lots of seating - I see how the kitchen opens to this and I see another "dining" room is probably around the way behind the fire, and that the entry may be off to the right of the first photo. Doing something like a hall tree / bench behind the front door can be very practical.

My first observations are just about furniture and layout - Probably the long connector wall along to the kitchen / dining is the best place to place a console with a television on top since it is the traffic pattern. Put it closer to the front windows so you can have a seating area there that serves it - an angle arm will allow you to pull it out and swivel it so you can watch it from the kitchen sink when no one else is there. Worth it to spend a bit more to hang it up for that flexibility.

Because of the angled chimney you need to make a separate seating area by the fire traffic flow, I would look for a dad chair / comfortable reading chair to put by the fire with a floor lamp to fit in the corner behind - and a large circular sculptural piece to put on top where you expect to see a chimney - something with visual weight to "fill" that area - perhaps you can stack up a few pieces of stone tile to have some height underneath - some kind of pedestal.

I like slipcovers when kids are young because you can upgrade (and keep clean). One option is to do a corner sectional to run along the windows and side wall - you will get the most seating this way and they are great for families. I know it can be a challenge when you want all your natural light - since the windows are tall, perhaps use a sofa table behind the sectional in front of the windows. Then the drapery can hang, the sofa table will offer more low lighting

You will want a nice lamp for that sofa table in the center (home goods is a decent source) and if your kids are young you may want to skip the coffee table altogether in favor of a large rug and open space - maybe an ottoman / mini pedestal table at the reading chair.

Let's find you an inspiration fabric or piece of art. I'm seeing navy on the sectional, a craigslist storage find you can paint an accent color for under the television (with a remote sensor for all the components), a rug with lots of color to bring life to the space . . . one large gorgeous piece of canvas art centered over the sectional stretch on the long wall . .
October 25, 2013 at 3:24PM     
Pictures worth a thousand words - [houzz=#4] [houzz=Westwood]
[houzz=Family Room]
[houzz=Balboa Island II]
Great rug photo 3 - terrific use of a "sign" / and upgraded light fixture in photo 2 to bring in hip. Like the way they used dark wood shelves at the transition to kitchen to tie in the woven wood blinds, light fixture and sign - repeating tones feels deliberate and I like the little punches of red.
October 25, 2013 at 3:42PM     
aleandrea
Awesome feedback. My furniture is a creme colored sectional with a suede/ dark wood ottoman for a coffee table.
October 25, 2013 at 3:44PM   
aleandrea
I love red. As a matter of fact my pillows on the couch are red and my carpet I think an 8X10 is mixed with black, red, cream and a light green.. It's a swirly design I found it at lowes.
October 25, 2013 at 3:52PM   
Post a photo of your rug if you want to use it in the living room - though it might be great as your dining room inspiration too. I'd like to see a color like bm van deusen blue (faded navy) or perhaps a weathered red on the upper wall in the dining room if you like the traditional look of the wainscot trim there. It has a big window, so the color on the wall will just make it cozy at night. This is another place that the curtains you select for the living room would be great to carry in here too.
October 25, 2013 at 4:20PM     
aleandrea
I wish I had a picture of my rug.. I will see if I can find one! The red in the dining room would be awesome. I wanted a warm color in there.
October 25, 2013 at 4:42PM   
Here's a red you might test - you may even want to use the rug in the dining room and let it and the red walls make that room connect back to this one. http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/strawberryfield But of course, if you have a rug, you are going to want to bring home lots of different red swatches and find something muted in the same tone as what is in your rug.

It would bring a touch of black to that space - since you have the black built into the other room with the fireplace, and it would allow you to have a complete dining space - or you may love your rug and want to build the entire living room around it.

Back to the paint color query you began with. Can you take and post a photo of your sofa and ottoman upholstery? You may need more of a linen or muslin tone to give you the look you want. This tone seems to have a strong yellow undertone - like a camel. Something more like linen - like http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/jute may be better or look at white sand - they show it combined below with a cocoa and a red tone - so you can see how the pairing might work . .

And the whole wainscot needs to be one color, so you are definitely painting something - and perhaps reworking the shelves on the pass through wall taking inspiration from above to pick up a deep tone - adding that to the mantel . . . .
October 26, 2013 at 3:25AM     
alrayyes
Vsssf. .,...,a....a.a.alspps
L
S

Lselepe
Woolly
October 26, 2013 at 3:41AM   
aleandrea
The strawberry field is a beautiful color.. It seems to match the dining room with the I guess yellow color that it already has. The jute color is pretty nice too. I'm all the way in Afghanistan right now, so I don't have access to all my photos. I will try looking for something similar to what I got as I get more time.
October 26, 2013 at 1:18PM   
Thanks for serving - you might look for something like it for sale instead - you may find YOUR rug on some rug website easier than looking thru your own pictures.
October 28, 2013 at 7:50AM     
aleandrea
I found my carpet online at lowes!
October 29, 2013 at 7:01PM   
I need help picking the right granite for my kitchen
We have painted, put M marble down and now I'm having...
Will these choices work????
Went to Ethan Allen shopping for new living room furniture...
Ugly 80s powder room
I have a desperately ugly 80s small powder room 1,5x1,5...
Help with picking out a flush mount ceiling light
Hello. I really could use anyone's expertise. I have...
Foyer lighting
Does this large pendant look good as foyer lighting?...