Ideas on kitchen changes
Carly Grant
We are buying a new house and here is a pic of the kitchen. It needs updating but we can't afford a 50k remodel right away. Any tips on things we can do to really improve it without totally remodeling? I def want to replace the gold fixtures with silver and we need new appliances. The center island is granite top while the rest of the countertop is corian.
Carol Walker
I would darken the cabinets - sand and paint or maybe a gel-coat stain - and update the hardware. If a backsplash is in the budget, see if you can find a tile the goes with the granite to pull them together. If you're keeping the stools, paint the legs to match, add some padding and cover with a durable fabric.
0 Likes   October 25, 2013 at 2:40PM
Agreed, updating the hardware first and see if that's enough for you.
0 Likes   October 25, 2013 at 3:06PM
makennac
I'm going to add comments as frugal ideas hit me... Legit quotes from 3 carpenters to replace the wine rack with glass doors to create a mini china cabinet in its place w beveled glass. I see u have some cans... How much to add 3 cool pendants over the island. I will now to my savvy fellow Houzzer and also suggest you add color!! I like the stools. But match them to whatever u end up doing. Of course, u probably already decided to do that. Love the windows n the light. If privacy is not an issue try not to cover them. You can make a soft cornice topper that's as simple as a pillowcase with an interlining, that you staple to a 1x2 and pop above those pretty windows with "L" brackets that u screw into at least two studs. You can hot glue trim onto the top and bottom edges if you like. You are a woman. There's nothing you can't do!!
0 Likes   October 25, 2013 at 3:14PM
makennac
Have the grout professionally cleaned and sealed. Get 3 references and call them to make sure they're not the person's mom. Average cost is about $0.85/sf. A cool faucet. A fun sink. Check the end caps at HD n Lowes. Check those stores for deals on lighting also. People place special orders n decline delivery. The products sometimes end up greatly reduced. Someone posted a pic of a tin-ceiling backsplash recently. It looked great!! Does anyone recall it?? I don't know how to move pics around yet. Computers hate me. Sorry this sounds so rushed. Been running around for days. Houzz is my zen-time. M
0 Likes   October 25, 2013 at 3:27PM
mpoulsom
A backsplash and wall paint color to match your island top. bring some samples home of both, and match to your granite in the light of your picture. Def pendants as suggested above. maybe even one above sink in addition to the island. Roman or solar shades on windows.
What are your favorite colors for an accent.....

Are you a DIYer? And what is the budget right now for the time being in updating somewhat?
0 Likes   October 25, 2013 at 3:36PM
makennac
A larger chandelier would fit the space better perhaps 2- or even 3-tier, 12-14 arm. Bronze.

Pickling or white-washing the cabinets is an option. I realize I'm coming from the opposite direction, but let's consider the fun you can have with fixtures and fabrics and color (Oh My!!). Tuscan reds and yellows with all that sunlight... The most timeless of all combinations, cobalt and white... You have many options with where you are at this moment. I like your kitchen. Truly blank canvas.
0 Likes   October 25, 2013 at 3:41PM
makennac
The budget question is the right question. While I wrapped my long day n night, I considered the spread between $0 and $50,000. Along with the addition of a more substantial chandelier, a new sink and faucet, I've provided some very low budget DIY ideas. That may not be the direction you had intended to take at all. Obviously we need more information.
0 Likes   October 25, 2013 at 8:07PM
ReMax - Lisa
I like your new kitchen, very bright and a blank slate as was mentioned above. I would get rid of the window coverings from both rooms, that will make a huge difference as they look very 80's. Maybe you don't even need window coverings in the kitchen, just something else to clean. I would suggest a modern neutral paint that flows into both rooms, sage green, clay beige, mocha brown all come to mind. Add some colour accents with flowers and linens and pillows. It will be gorgeous and paint is cheap. I wouldn't touch the cabinets, they are lovely as they are.
0 Likes   October 25, 2013 at 9:09PM
Carly Grant
Budget is a good question. We haven't moved into the house yet so we are trying to prioritize our projects and not spend all our money up front. I think we may redo the floors and put down hardwood, maybe a slightly darker stained floor. Budget wise we prob don't want to spend more than like 15k on the kitchen at this point. Do you think when we repaint, the kitchen and family room should be the same color? We hate window treatments so those are going. Thinking of leaving the cabinets for now but changing to silver fixtures. We may need to hold off on new appliances for now. I like the idea of hanging lights over the island. Keep the comments coming!! We like a clean, transitional look...
1 Like   October 26, 2013 at 3:52AM
sbrustein
I think a glass or glass and metallic backsplash would go a long way to update your kitchen. silver toned cabinet hardware will make a big difference also. My sister in law did just those 2 things in her very 80's kitchen and it is such a big improvement.
0 Likes   October 26, 2013 at 4:40AM
Carly Grant
Ok so let's say... New wood floors (on the browner/chocolate side), new chromy/silver cabinet handles, backsplash, new earthy paint on walks and naked windows. Sound like a good start??
3 Likes   October 26, 2013 at 5:19AM
Carly Grant
What do you think would make the bigger difference?? Cool hanging lights over island or a backsplash? (Not sure about price differential or how complicated-we would hire someone in either case)
0 Likes   October 26, 2013 at 5:38AM
mpoulsom
well you could do the light fixtures first and then just paint the backsplash area a different color for the time being....paint is cheap! wouldn't even take a gallon. then you could play around with the idea of what color backsplash (light or dark), that you would like in the future. To be honest though, doing a backsplash is pretty easy. You could also put beadboard of something in that area to give it texture.
What style are you going for ultimately? Modern, Traditional?
1 Like   October 26, 2013 at 6:20AM
lizinnh
Leather bar stools. Pull in some earthy brown tones with a pop of accent colors around the kitchen. Leave the cabinets. A travertine or stone backsplash will warm up the room and shift your focus. Bronze hardware.
0 Likes   October 26, 2013 at 6:29AM
mpoulsom
beadboard backsplash example....
0 Likes   October 26, 2013 at 6:31AM
lizinnh
Pendant lighting and a matching chandelier. Bronze would bring the eye to the island countertop and phase out the back countertop. Gorgeous room. See its positive features rather than the 80's styling.
0 Likes   October 26, 2013 at 6:31AM
lynsibee
I would start with floors, paint, and new fixtures for now. Honestly, you may not want to change anything else after that. Oh, and of course, naked windows.

Start there and see what you think. I like the granite on the island but if you plan on changing the other countertops any time in he future then you may have wasted money on the backsplash now. If you plan on keeping all the countertops the same then by all means go for the backsplash if it fits your budget.
0 Likes   October 26, 2013 at 6:57AM
Carly Grant
Also what are people's thoughts on different types of hardwood flooring in a house? I really want more of a cherry stained floor for kitchen and family room ( we would do both at once) but rest of house is your basic blond oak floors. Is it ok to have this section of the house have dif floors?
0 Likes   October 26, 2013 at 6:58AM
ReMax - Lisa
I think that one type of hardwood per flooring level is plenty. The house loses uniformity when you change them up. The rule that I have heard from decorators is maximum 2 flooring types per level of home. Eg - Hardwood and ceramic, or hardwood and carpet. You don't want it to look like a jigsaw puzzle.
0 Likes   October 26, 2013 at 9:21AM
mpoulsom
carly, i'm sure some people would disagree about having 2 different types of wood flooring, but i don't have a problem with it if it's done right. My only concern with the way you are doing things is this. Usually I would want to do other things above the floor first, so that if an accident occurred or you needed to do some other construction, you wouldn't have to worry about damaging the floor, PLUS if you wanted to rearrange anything in the room the floor would be the last thing to do. I, as a rule of thumb when doing remodeling, make the floor the last thing. Working from the ceiling to the floor if possible.
And if you are thinking dark cherry floors, I think I would considering painting your cabinets. I don't think that oak would look quite right with cherry. That's just me though.
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 9:00AM
Total Remodel would like ideas how we could change our kitchen around
Would like to add room for a table or a Island to eat...
Change/Modernize kitchen ideas help on a budget neede!
Hello Houzzers! We moved in this current house over...
kitchen ideas. should i change flooring?
Love retro but 70's kitchen is awful
I want a change for my kitchen and dining room I'm open for any ideas
we just bought our house 7 months ago and I need help...
Is this proposed kitchen layout change a bad idea?
This is the current kitchen layout. We are planning...
Need help with my bathroom
My shower stall and the floor in the bathroom is a...
Need help with for living room like the photo
Need help with more design ideas for living room like...
**Dining area Dilemma**
Two birds, one stone hopefully. First, lots of empty...
Houzzers, what are you thankful for?
It's the time of year to give thanks. Looking around...
How to position sofas? And what colour area rug??
Hello Houzz-ians, Just wondering if you guys got any...