Kitchen Cabinet Color Selection, 80's Honey Oak please help.
catbro420
October 25, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I want to update my cabinets for personal use and for resale in several years. Home built in 1986, upgraded to ss appliances and granite counter tops 12 years ago so don't want to rip everything out and kitchen layout is quite functional. Considering refinishing or refacing cabinets, but I have no idea what color would work best.

Home is very contemporary overall and prefer maple wood and simple, clean lines, full wood overlay doors, no panels, beading, etc or simple shaker door with flat panel style.

My dilemna is the doors and household trim everywhere in the house are pine stained to approximate the oak of the current kitchen cabinets. Color theme of walls/decorative items is a combination of grey, burgandy, black and rose accents.

I'd love to go with unstained, light maple cabinet refacing, but I'm worried about the yellow undertone of the wood in combination with the reddish trim. I have a large custom built maple display unit my family room that works well with the trim, but I question whether the color/finish could work in the kitchen.

I'm attaching photos of everything I've described and would GREATLY appreciate any advise. It's not a major kitchen remodel but will still cost some significant $ and I'm really worried about selecting the right cabinet improvement option (refresh or reface) and color selection.

I guess I have to upload in two messages. So Sorry.
First photo is kitchen cooking area, second is opposite view of kitchen, third is bank of cabinets on wall shared with FR, and 4th is kitchen dining area. Stick with me folks I'll put up the rest of the photos on a related message. Thank you all so much in advance.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
studio3600
Honestly the wood is nice. However, if you need a change then go for it. As far as making your space more contemporary, I would actually select a few cabinets (top) and change them to glass of some kind. Lose the valances above the doors and windows. Consider a contemporary backsplash.
October 25, 2013 at 2:58PM      Thanked by catbro420
catbro420
Studio, I really just don't like the color of the cabinets anymore and think if I can update them it will be better when we sell in a few years. I like the idea of adding glass, but I think the color is too dated and tired. Any suggestions?
October 26, 2013 at 8:24AM   
jackbox21
I took mine from 80's Golden Oak to Dark Walnut by Minwax.
May 4, 2014 at 8:23AM