tub or sink in bedroom?
kitasei
I have a small room on the ground floor with its own terrace. We will use it as a spare bedroom. Since it has a tile floor and is already plumbed and has a floor drain in addition to a regular drain, and we are short of baths/showers, we are thinking of putting in a small tub. Is it strange to have a tub and not a sink (there is a powder room next door)? Or is there a sink that could function as both tub and sink?? I'm looking for function and charm! Thanks for all thoughts!
Hi there, do you have any photos you can share of the space to get a better idea of what might work?
0 Likes   October 25, 2013 at 4:02PM
kitasei
Very hard to take a picture of the room because it is small and square. It is also in process of being painted, so pardon the mess! But you see the French door leading to a private terrace and terra cotta brick floor. There is room on one side for a single or perhaps trundle bed, and on the other side for a sink or small tub, and still space in the center to pass through to the terrace. So what do you think?
0 Likes   October 25, 2013 at 4:22PM
kitasei
I should have added that the furniture in the room now (including a refrigerator) will not stay..
0 Likes   October 25, 2013 at 4:23PM
Is your bedroom on this floor? If so, I think if you furnish it as a high end bath / dressing room/closet for you, perhaps with a claw foot tub / hang drapery to separate it from the rest of the room for a sense of separate spaces / privacy and use a white ikea slipcovered sofa bed that you "share" with your guests when they come - that could be charming. Add an armoire for clothing and linen storage . . but don't expect to get your $ back for this - it will be more expensive to do it than you think - as it probably is not plumbed for water service / wall vent so estimate your costs very carefully before you act.

Just know that most buyers will find it off-putting and odd and a loss because it ruins the potential of another bedroom because it takes up so much space. Guests don't need storage the way real people do . . . an outdoor shower just outside would be less expensive to do and get more positive feedback from buyers and could potentially add value / be screened so it could be used 6 mo of year. This seems to me like the perfect sunroom / garden room / guest room / add a potting bench w/ a dry sink and the aforementioned sofa bed and now you have real charm.
1 Like   Thanked by kitasei    October 25, 2013 at 5:02PM
ReMax - Lisa
I think a tub alone in a bedroom would be really weird. I'd try to put in a toilet nad small sink or nothing. No big resale value unless its a full 2 peice bath, with walls separating it from the bedroom
3 Likes   Thanked by kitasei    October 25, 2013 at 5:12PM
kitasei
The room is nowhere near the master bedroom. Nearest other bedroom is a loft directly above which is accessed by a narrow spiral stair and has sloping ceilings making it usable only by young guests. They (and the future occupant of this small room) will use an adjacent powder room for toilet and sink, and trek to another side of the house when they want a shower.. Hence my desire to create bathing on this side. But you are all right that it is odd to have a tub in this room. I love the idea of the white sofa bed in a garden room with a small sink. That would be a charming and far more usable room, and the sink could at least relieve the demand for the powder room.
0 Likes   October 26, 2013 at 3:07AM
orangecamera
How about a tallish freestanding tub in your guest/garden room, with a removable top? Use it as a potting table and watering tub for plants. Just remove the top to take a bath.

What's on the floor in that room?
0 Likes   Thanked by kitasei    October 26, 2013 at 3:28AM
orangecamera
Oh, I meant to add you could fashion a sink on the tub cover, using a handheld showerhead and a place to clip it. Add a vessel sink (made from a large flowerpot?) and a flexible pipe than would drain into the tub below.
0 Likes   October 26, 2013 at 3:31AM
kitasei
Ooh tell me more - or better, do you have a picture? The floor is brick tile, pitched to a floor drain.
0 Likes   October 26, 2013 at 3:40AM
Do you mean like a wine barrel / japanese soaking tub, but maybe up to 24 - 28" high? Or a horse trough? Something like that could fit into just a corner, and be pretty neat - even a small bar sink in the cover (something out of ikea wood butcherblock counters would be inexpensive and fitting) and a wonderful kitchen extension faucet would work . . . then, it would look like a garden sink, but function like a standing / soaking tub with the right hinged top . . .http://www.usedwinebarrels.com/ you need to have them cut you a 34" down by only 6- 8" or so something someone young can climb in and out of . . and it would need to be supported by a corner fitted "shelf" piece of butcherblock below at mid point so it can't tip . . .

Imagine a wide garden potting bench made with "counter level butcherblock at 28" and a "shelf level" plank or butcherblock at 12" high with a circle cut out and the wine barrel inside / an integrated part. The faucet can be countertop mounted.
A separate round with a lip top can be fitted to the barrel almost like a bar cutting board with a handle cut out of it / then the bar sink counter mounted under this, so the top takes the sink out of the way when you lift it out . . cut out of the countertop level - this way the top edge of the barrel is protected / you are protected from it . . . a lab chair / counter stool nearby. Waterlox for the countertops, a liner for the barrel like they sell for the ice chests they make from them . . . can't hurt to ask . . . .
0 Likes   Thanked by kitasei    October 26, 2013 at 4:12AM
girliesunshine
A Clawfoot tub stategically placed would look awesome! I've seen it and look forward to the day I can apply this to my own space. It isn't weird, it's clever when done right. It's inviting and private.
0 Likes   Thanked by kitasei    October 26, 2013 at 5:10AM
orangecamera
I didn't really have anything specific in mind, but did a little picture hunting online and found these. The first one looks nice, and appears to be as easy as setting a metal table into the tub. (I'd put something down on the tub bottom to deter rust). The second one speaks for itself, but seems more cumbersome to remove.

If you went with the idea in the first one, you could put a clip on the table edge to hold a handheld faucet pointing into the tub. Add a soap dish and you've got a make-shift hand washing station.
0 Likes   October 26, 2013 at 6:39AM
dclostboy
If plumbed, why not add a "Florida kitchen" for guests...small sink, refrigerator drawer, coffee maker on counter.
0 Likes   Thanked by kitasei    October 26, 2013 at 6:58AM
Is this fit to any kind of faucet, sink of kitchen, bathroom sink, tub
Is this fit to any kind of faucet, kitchen, bathroom...
4homefurniture
Master bath has no window and Jacuzzi tub is in the bedroom!
My Master bath has no window and even with the vent...
corenet
Does the master bedroom have to have a bath tub for a small bathroom?
I am planning to remodel my small master bathroom....
sushimind
Window treatments
I would like to change or update the window treatments....
eflambert
Garage flooring
Is it worth doing your concrete garage floor with epoxy...
freethrow
need help with a small bathroom
have to repaint bathtub white but need to replace tile...
sdengler
Lead in ceramic tile
I understand that ceramic tile sold at big box chain...
Jackie Peace
Smart tiles
Has anyone used smart tiles, the ones you basically...
allisongarber