Need suggestion to hide a terrible backyard view
mallorybee
I just purchased a home, and the backyard is a decent size. As ugly as the play structure is, it is perfect for my 2 year old son, so I think we'll be keeping it, but relocating it to a different part of the yard. My problem is, we have this horrendous building behind us. I was thinking of a few options for hiding it, but I wondered if anyone else had suggestions. My first thought was to build up a tiered garden along the fence and plant tall bushes/moderate height trees on the top tier. Second thought was to do some sort of lattice work or pergola along the fence line. Any other suggestions? I attached a picture. I don't have a better one because I live 1,500 miles away from the house at the moment. These were taken by the realtor...
mallorybee
Ah, I should add that this house is in Canada. That might impact some of the plant suggestions...
0 Likes   October 25, 2013 at 7:39PM
Cat Rowe
A row of non-desiduous trees.
0 Likes   Thanked by mallorybee    October 25, 2013 at 7:57PM
Barnhart Gallery
The tall one at the back corner is doing a fine job.
0 Likes   Thanked by mallorybee    October 25, 2013 at 8:00PM
ReMax - Lisa
Trees are definitely the way to go. Most municipalities have bylaws about the height of fences including lattice, often max 6' plus 1' of lattice. Trees have no limit though and are prettier to look at anyway. Best of luck with your move, looks like a lovely yard and I'm sure you will grow to love not having a house behind you. If its a business, it should be quiet there at night and on weekends.
0 Likes   Thanked by mallorybee    October 25, 2013 at 9:21PM
If you go with trees, I would choose large evergreens so that you have year around coverage;)
0 Likes   Thanked by mallorybee    October 25, 2013 at 9:25PM
yvonnecmartin
If you do use evergreens, keep the front trimmed. We are in a house with a row of 50 year old evergreens that are lovely but they now take approximately 15 feet of the backyard. Down the street is a lovely set of similar trees that had been trimmed and so are only 5 feet deep.
0 Likes   Thanked by mallorybee    October 25, 2013 at 10:02PM
mallorybee
I'm sort of hesitant to plant evergreens. The backyard isn't very deep, so like you said, yvonnecmartin, I don't want them to take over the backyard, and I don't want something high maintenance. How often do they require trimming?
0 Likes   October 26, 2013 at 8:13AM
bschr
How about an emerald cedar? They grow about 1 foot a year and can be kept comfortably at 6 feet or higher. Remember you are the boss of your trees you can clip them or let them continue to grow up to 50 feet. If you want to keep them in a columnar shape they will require a yearly trim. Cedars also make a beautiful hedge.
2 Likes   Thanked by mallorybee    October 26, 2013 at 8:34AM
mallorybee
That's true. I like that saying, "You're the boss of your trees."
1 Like   October 26, 2013 at 8:38AM
Barnhart Gallery
If only I were the boss of the #@*% bittersweet that stealthily reseeds and sends runners everywhere.
1 Like   October 26, 2013 at 9:05AM
soberg
I really recommend against the typical solution of a line of cypresses. They always look bad to me. Rather than trying to create a 100% barrier, I suggest 1 or 2 trees that draw your eye locally and hence through psychological means reduce the prominence of the huge blue behemoth. This issue is personal to me because when I moved into my house, the next-door neighbors had a huge bright blue pool umbrella that managed to dominate the view out my master bedroom window with its lurid and insistent glow. I spent many hours staring at it with hatred, then finally planted a small tree. Even though the tree covered at most 20% of the umbrella area, the fact that it was in the foreground for me and also had texture and interest just made the umbrella fade away from my visual attention. I hope this will work for you. Create lots of foreground interest.
2 Likes   Thanked by mallorybee    October 26, 2013 at 9:15AM
jonathan3
What about tall shrubs? I am thinking of evergreen shrubs that grow in my area that grow very tall and dense without too much depth when properly pruned over time. Definitely talk to a nursery in the area where your house is located to get ideas. As trees age, they outgrow the house and yard and leave you without the "screen" that you were looking for in the first place. Also, trees require special equipment for pruning as they age. If possible, add privacy fencing that is taller than the existing fence. Vines are another option if the trellis height is allowed in your subdivision. Shrubs and vines provide flowers and fruit as an option, also. You could have a small strip of vegetables in front to enjoy also.
1 Like   Thanked by mallorybee    October 26, 2013 at 10:04AM
hieronymus11
I would add a play set
0 Likes   October 26, 2013 at 10:10AM
mallorybee
The more I think about it, and discuss with my husband, the less I want to just throw up some bushes and call it a day. We would still like something beautiful to look at, and I think a trellis is a good suggestion. I also thought about magnolia trees, but I think they might lose their leaves in the winter, so that only solves my view problem for half the year.
0 Likes   October 26, 2013 at 10:13AM
Need help hiding wood stove pipe- looks terrible!!
help! I have a wood stove in my living room- which...
bashea
Help to Hide Meters in Plain View in Backyard of Townhome
Any ideas how I can hide unsightly meters on back of...
jsempey
I need help hiding the ugly phone and cable boxes in my backyard.
We have the house in the neighborhood where the cable...
eguest1
Need help hiding 'a view'!
The 18 1/2 ft high wall with four 5x6 ft windows and...
nryan44
Need advice about hiding wires in the street view of my beach house
This is the street view of my beach cottage in Rhode...
jessmalzman1
need help with my colors
I have a medium blue sofa and a coral an cream fabric...
newberngirl
Curtains
What color curtains would you use in this room I would...
Jessica Valind
Corner Kitchen Window & Sliding doors
New home, White kitchen, corner butt glass window in...
vicky1013
need to know any cool ideas for kitchen
i did an amazing bathroom by Everlast Construction,...
Jolean Amiru
Need ideas for the living room
Any ideas on decorating this living room are appreciated...
Mayola Antony