Anyone have IKEA sofas? Pros and Cons?

bamamomOctober 26, 2013
Heavily considering the IKEA Sandby loveseat....have never had slipcovered furniture so just wondering how well the IKEA slipcovers stay in place. They seem to be "customized" for the different styles, so would think they should stay put. Piece will not be used heavily, for a sitting room/ playroom Playroom purpose is just once/twice a week for visiting granddaughter.
Thanks.
Creative Innovations & Designs Inc
ikea is great for a quick fix, but dont expect too much out of it. All their stuff is made with cheap wood and the fabrics tend to sag a bit. I think it's perfect of for a playroom. Doesn't sound like you'll use it much and for the money, it should last you a long time.
    Bookmark   Thanked by bamamom    October 26, 2013 at 7:31AM
bamamom
I knew it was not high end and for the purpose did not want to spend a ton of money. I have Natuzzi in our living room that will last forever. This sitting/play room may get changed up every few years anyway so that is another reason to not spend a lot of money. That said I do want it to be a comfortable piece when it is used and and not have to rearrange the slipcovers every time someone sits on it.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 26, 2013 at 7:51AM
The advantage of an IKEA sofa is that it tolerates more hard wear because most people treat it with more disdain than more expensive items. Most times they hold up considerably longer than expected. Also don't forget to think of companies such as these which allow you to make custom-made slipcovers as well: http://www.bemz.com/en/
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by bamamom    October 26, 2013 at 7:59AM
I love Ikea. It has cone a long ways in recent years. Go for it. They have many to choose from. Go a solid and use accent pillows. They have great kids furn also. If you want to get your granddaughter a chair of her own.
    Bookmark   Thanked by bamamom    October 26, 2013 at 8:08AM
jonathan3
I bought the white, slipcovered Ikea Ektorp sofa over a year ago. It has been washed and ironed only once. I love this sofa. It is crisp, clean, and the slipcover always stays in place. I found two lumbar pillows with buttons on it at Ikea later to give it a more polished look. This sofa is smaller than most which is to scale for our great room seating area. We paired it with two Poang chairs with footstools in dark wook with black leather. If you are very tall, the sofa may not be comfortable for your height. I can't stand slipcovers that are always crooked or sliding onto the floor. The Ektorp sofa looks tight enough to be upholstered. I was leery because of the the construction and the price, but it has proven itself over time. (Note of caution: I ironed my slipcover while it was still damp in the corners and placed it back on the sofa so it would dry and look like new. It is a big ironing project but I love how it looks like new again. I have only done that once in the last year because it got dusty during the remodel.) Hope you find the sofa you love.
    Bookmark   Thanked by bamamom    October 26, 2013 at 10:23AM
edithsmom
We, too, have an Ektorp with slipcovers (tan & blue) and the covers fit snugly and always look good ( I steam mine after laundering...never put them in the dryer). Also, my son and active family have the Karlstad sectional with slipcovers that is holding up well with two boys & two terriers. I would highly recommend the Ikea Ektorp or Karlstad loveseats.
    Bookmark   Thanked by bamamom    October 26, 2013 at 10:55AM
bamamom
Jonathan and Edith.... Thank you for commenting about your personal experiences with the Ikea sofas. I had decided that if I did make this purchase, that if washing became necessary, I would take Edith's approach and slip the covers back on and then use my steamer for any wrinkles.

ASV thanks for your info as well!

Travis....thank you.... You have helped tremendously with the whole transformation of the room this loveseat will be used in. Remember the "unbalanced wall" post? Finally sold little brown loveseat and the stripped chairs. Another reason to get the white slip covered loveseat.....colorful pillows and throws to bring out colors of the artwork hanging above.

Everyone's comments have helped to put my mind at ease about this pending purchase. Seems like a road trip to Atlanta is in the very near future!

I'll post pics when everything gets in place. Also waiting for a new jute rug to arrive.

PS. travisinteriors...yes have been looking at little Poung chair for granddaughter and the little wooden table and chairs set for her as well. :-)
2 Likes    Bookmark   October 26, 2013 at 2:47PM
Barbie
We have the Ektorp 2+2 Sectional and the Ektorp Sofa. We love both! I actually found mine used on Craigslist and they are still in perfect shape. I did buy new slipcovers in white which is so inexpensive. I throw them in the washer in hot water once a month. I do dry them for about 20 minutes and then put them back on damp. No need to iron.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by bamamom    October 26, 2013 at 5:17PM
bamamom
Barbie...thank you! I noticed how inexpensive the replacement covers are! I'm wanting the white slipcover to keep the room light and airy. Now if I can just get to Atlanta next weekend before that store is out of the Sandby loveseats! They've had 4 forever and today the update says by Tuesday there should be two! If they sell out I guess it's not meant to be and I'll go with my backup plan. A loveseat for Home Reserve, in sky or aqua, that is shipped to my front door. Then I put together, just like Ikea, and put the fabric covers on. My daughter in law and son have a sectional from them and it is very nice and holding up very well. Plus there's storage under each seat. My hubby is leaning more that direction. Ack, decisions.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 26, 2013 at 6:11PM
Trying to decide on a sofa for my living room ....
I would like to change my sofa and have two in mind,...
koolbeanzzzz
NEW IKEA KITCHEN..... any thoughts?
A new way to create your dream kitchen with SEKTION! Meet...
designideas4me
Sofa - which one would fit my space better?
Hi there, I need some help in determing which sofa...
amnia
Ikea Kitchens (?) Anyone have them? Pros & Cons
After visiting the Ikea store I left there wanting...
Alice Crawford
Need help to complete our living room (continued)
Hi all, I have asked help on completing our living...
melindwang
Where should I put a compost bucket?
We are remodeling the kitchen and looking for a creative...
Lisa Gray
Trim Color
Preparing to buy a new home in the Dallas area and...
Sheri
Need help with colors
We are painting the entire inside of the house and...
larsrstanley
Help! Our new house has no curb appeal.
We have just moved from a quaint, but small, century...
timnewton
Kitchen Help!
I need help with my kitchen. I do not like having the...
Brenda