Need Help with arranging furniture in family room.

soumyaheggadeOctober 26, 2013
We just bought our first place and need help with furniture placement.We will be repainting the walls.There is wall on the left side of the first pic and it leads to the garage.I do not want to put TV over the fireplace so plan to use the wall on the left for TV.Please suggest if a sectional will work.Sorry I cant post more pics because we are getting the kitchen renovated and right now using the family room as storage for the new appliances.Dimensions 19 ft by 16 ft.Suggestions for paint colors welcome.Kitchen open to this room and has ivory/off white cabinets.
You could certainly use a sectional facing the TV, but I'd prefer you choose a sofa and two chairs, placing the sofa facing the fireplace and the chairs facing the TV. A third chair would work well to the left of the fireplace. And you might also have space for a bench in front of the fireplace for extra seating.

Add a coffee table, a sofa table with lamps behind the sofa or sectional and a round table to go between the two chairs if you choose that route. You'll also need a large rug, and more art.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 26, 2013 at 7:41PM
Thank you, thank you, Carolyn, for discouraging the sectional. All the members of the Just-Say-No-to-Sectionals Association thank you, too.
3 Likes    Bookmark   October 26, 2013 at 8:08PM
Surely I'm a charter member of that group, Grover!
2 Likes    Bookmark   October 26, 2013 at 8:16PM
karemore55
Hi there! I too belong to that club, and to that may I add that it is much more interesting to see a TV sitting on a small dresser or credenza, or basically any stand that doesn't look like a media cabinet? You could place matching dressers on each side of the FP, and have the TV on the left one, angled a bit toward the sofa. As Carolyn suggested, the sofa should face, and be centred on, the FP and could sit about 11' away from it. With a sofa table behind it, which is usually about 16" deep, this gives you about 3 - 3 1/2' to walk behind the conversation area. I would have one armchair to the right of the FP, angled toward the sofa, and then (again as per Carolyn's suggestion) place a side chair to the left of the sofa, sitting at a right angle to it.

It looks like your vinyl flooring has some taupe in it, so for wall color I would do a soft, warm taupe that works well,with the flooring. This is Ben Moore Wind's Breath, but it's just a ballpark suggestion.

Congratulations on your first home - exciting!
    Bookmark   October 26, 2013 at 9:09PM
karemore55
OK, let's back up a bit - window to right of FP - dang! Skip the matching cupboards. You can get your balance from the bulk of TV and stand with the arm chair, as well as side panels on the windows. A floor lamp on that side will also help balance, as well as be practical.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 26, 2013 at 9:11PM
I would arrange the furniture as shown below. I keyed off the colors in your painting for the rug, though you really need a larger piece of art over the fireplace. I didn't include any tables because you wouldn't see them in the rendering anyway, but you need a small one between the chairs and a coffee table in front of the sofa, for sure.
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by soumyaheggade    October 26, 2013 at 9:16PM
In this case, I agree with you guys, but often, and particularly in smaller rooms, sectionals offer more seating than you can get into a space with chairs. They are very comfortable for families that lounge together and need to seat a bunch of kids and adults. Your grouping doesn't allow a family of five to comfortably watch a show together, where a sectional and one great chair often can . . so I am not quite in your "just-say-no" company. I'm definitely in the "never buy matching sofa and loveseat" camp . . . . .
1 Like    Bookmark   October 26, 2013 at 9:54PM
soumyaheggade
Thank you all for the suggestions.There is another window to the left of the FP so the TV will have to be placed opposite to the wall which has the door to the deck.I do like the idea of sofa and chairs.The art is what I used at our small apartment and it will not be used in this room.The vinyl flooring in the sun room will be replaced with the matching wood floors like the living room.Will try to post some more pics.
    Bookmark   October 27, 2013 at 9:36AM
New club name is: "1 + 2 = perfect" sofa and 2 chairs is always easy to work with.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 27, 2013 at 9:54AM
soumyaheggade
This is a pic of the left side of the space.Its a pic the listing agent had posted so the furniture is not ours.
    Bookmark   October 27, 2013 at 9:57AM
karemore55
Ohhh...that changes things! I thought you said there was a door to the garage on that wall? Consider placing your sofa perpendicular to the FP (facing TV obviously) and use two chairs with low backs - swivel rockers even - on left side of FP facing sofa. When you are watching TV, the chairs should be low enough that they don't block your view. You could also add two more smaller side chairs side busy side facing FP. Or just pull side chairs from your DR when you need extra seating,
    Bookmark   October 27, 2013 at 12:02PM
I'm not sure how much it changes things. If you prefer to watch TV from the sofa, then flip the sofa and the chairs in my rendering above. Or you could replace the chairs with his and hers recliners if you want to snooze in your own little spaces while you watch. ;-)
    Bookmark   October 27, 2013 at 1:18PM
soumyaheggade
Thanks a lot karemore and groveraxle I think I will follow your suggestions.Now I need to find a good color palette for the first floor.Any suggestions?
    Bookmark   October 27, 2013 at 3:00PM
karemore55
The best way to come up with your palette is to start with an area rug, piece of art or some significant piece and start pulling colors from that. If you are looking to do one color throughout, then you would consider bedding, bathroom and kitchen countertops, back splashes and cabinets. If you have some pics of these things, we could give you some ballpark ideas, which you would have to fine tune based on how the colors look in the home, and held up against these different surfaces.

Personally, if you need to get the place painted before moving in, and just want one color throughout, you probably wouldn't go wrong with Ben Moore Simply White, especially if your kitchen cabinets are an older golden oak.
    Bookmark   October 27, 2013 at 3:08PM
soumyaheggade
The cabinets will be off white and pic below is the granite for the countertops.I want to keep the rooms looking light and airy.Pleae suggest the wall colors.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 27, 2013 at 8:06PM
anne dee
truly I haven't read thru all the comments :-( but should you change yr mind and decide to place the tv over the FP you could balance the window by adding a cabinet to the other side of the FP and have 2 sofas facing each other and 2 chairs flanking the sofas instead of a sectional
see inspiration pic for references
Laguna Cottage · More Info
    Bookmark   October 27, 2013 at 8:19PM
karemore55
Edgecomb Gray, Wind's Breath, Oyster Shell, Healing Aloe? It's really hard to see the exact colors in your beautiful granite, so I'm pulling some loose possibilities here. There are so many great colors out there, but look at the muted, greyed out tones for the colors that are easiest to live with. These are all Ben Moore.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by soumyaheggade    October 27, 2013 at 9:07PM
Ooh - gorgeous granite . . nice tones. Look also at BM cedar key, smokey taupe and litchfield gray http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/smokeytaupe
On the sw side, test sw kilim beige, possibly sw naturel
    Bookmark   Thanked by soumyaheggade    October 28, 2013 at 7:44AM
Take a look at S-W Agreeable Gray. It's a nice warm gray.
SW7029 Agreeable Gray by Sherwin-Williams · More Info
    Bookmark   October 28, 2013 at 1:00PM
Help with Family room furniture arrangement
Having difficulty as how to arrange furniture in this...
drymades
Family room
Clean slate. Need help to arrange furniture in family...
lindaleas
Arranging Furniture in Family Room
We just moved into a new house and need help arranging...
Marie Dingman
Family room furniture arrangement
We just moved in and I am at a loss for how to arrange...
amandawils8
Need help with family room sofa arrangement
I have a 25'x18' size family room with a high ceiling...
amynaadi
Painting kitchen cabinets--have to laquer? How?
Can I just have my wood cabinets painted, or do they...
cxg2
Wainscot or skim coat?
Removed the wallpaper and the walls are a mess. 9'x15'...
susanhutton
House Colours! Help!
We have a stunning 1850s Greek a revival, here in New...
aazuline
Finding a Portier Rod that lifts curtain at door
Looking for a Portier rod that attaches to front door...
house135
Remodel!
Any advice for new cabinet, counter, wall color, and...
mover33