$$$$$$$ Would you pay $30000 for this kitchen?
mo9880
I'm building a home and its my first time buying custom kitchen cabinets, is this too much?
A Kitchen That Works LLC
There are a lot of variables to the cost of a kitchen. Is the $30k for the whole kitchen or just the cabinetry?
Can you be more specific, I.e. The species and finish on the cabinets as well as the convenience hardware inside the cabinets, the type of countertop, the type of back splash, the manufacturer of the appliances, the decorative hardware finish, etc. A good rule of thumb is the kitchen value represents approximately 15% of the total home value (including land).
Houzz.com has a cost calculator by zip code, this can get you in the ball park but don't hang your hat on it, again because of variables.
October 26, 2013 at 12:27PM     
yoboseiyo
just looking at the amount of cabinetry present and the type of cabinetry, i'd say that's on the high side of reasonable.
October 26, 2013 at 12:29PM     
mo9880
I don't know full details about the finishes
It's about 12 by 8 and the island is about 8 by 5
It has some custom mesh on the top cabinets with a custom canopy. The price only includes the cabinetry
October 26, 2013 at 12:36PM   
R H Kitchen and Bath Ltd
Do you know if these cabinets are really custom or semi custom cabinets that will be arranged in a custom designed kitchen? The term " custom" is loosely used by a lot of cabinets suppliers and manufacturers. Depending on the type of wood, the height of the upper cabinets, the number of added feature, the amount of decorative details, "crown moldings, flutings, corbels, decorative end panels, hardware, etc...you will find that the same exact cabinets will cost more or less based on the factors mentioned above. If these cabinets are semi custom then they are a little over priced. If they are truly custom, meaning they were made especially for you by a local cabinet maker to perfectly fit your kitchen without being limited to standard sizes or using any fillers then they are very reasonable. Please post how many linear feet of cabinets you have and what special features you have. Also i have to mention that truly custom cabinets can differ in price depending on your geographical location.
October 26, 2013 at 12:38PM     
R H Kitchen and Bath Ltd
I did not look at the drawing thoroughly before i posted. It looks like you have 42" high upper cabinets, (not standard) and you have a large island with decorative details and decorative end panels ( again not standard) , it looks also that the finish on the cabinets is glazed which is again non standard, and full overlay doors which is again non standard. if i have to guess, i would say that those cabinets are semi custom from the way they are arranged. The conclusion as Yobo said they are on the high side of reasonable.
October 26, 2013 at 12:49PM     
Maguire
Beautiful kitchen. I had one set up nearly identically and loved the layout. Beautiful wood finishes, trim, moldings and the additional upper cabinets and all custom. Do you have internal organizers: silverware drawer, pullouts for recycling, cabinets in the walking pantry? Eliminating some of these extras will save $. Wondering if you can use a prefab mesh, glass, or another material rather than custom mesh on top? The holes in the mesh look a bit too big.
I might consider a rectangular island top rather than notching the countertop back between posts in the island and eliminating the posts on the sink side. You might want corbels on the other side rather than posts as well, easier to clean around and less bumping into with chairs. I'd consider extending the island out at least another foot for more banks of drawers. It appears you have room to enlarge the island, the wall next to the refrigerator looks as though it's at least 2 feet out. Love the flat island top rather than a raised bar, nice work space. I'm assuming with a kitchen like this you're going with all professional grade appliances. I'd also splurge on a taller curved faucet and nice pantry door, as they can be seen from everywhere in the room. Some of what I've suggested requires more $, some less $, but in my area, $30,000 for this kitchen cabinetry would be a bargain.
As a general rule the entire kitchen should cost no less than 5% and no more than 15% of the current home value with approximately 50% of the total kitchen allocation for cabinets. Do you estimate your homes value to be at or above $400,000 upon completion? If you do, you should be fine.
October 26, 2013 at 1:07PM   
sstarr
I think 15% of the value of house and land is considerably too high.
Do you like these cabinets?
Do you see yourself happily and comfortably using them on a daily basis?
Do you think you will like the cabinets in ten years?

I would shop around for similar cabinets and finish options, and then decide.
October 26, 2013 at 1:16PM   
printesa
I would say shop around. It depends on the area you live in. Some of my friends are building a house at the beach and their kitchen was about that price, but it was a larger kitchen. From your drawing, it doesn't look like you have a lot of cabinets. Another thing that I would ask is about the material the boxes are made of. I was disappointed to find out that the boxes for our kitchen cabinets were made out of mdf. We didn't know much about cabinets and woodworking, but now, it looks like we paid a lot more than they are worth.
October 26, 2013 at 1:33PM   
No, it is not at all if you are getting good cabs.

What is the brand?
October 26, 2013 at 1:37PM   
sstarr
Comparing this to other costly items: are these cabinets worth as much as a new car? (particularly if they are factory-made mdf) Are they worth as much as 7 or 8 beautiful custom pieces of furniture made by a skilled craftsman? (unlikely)... Are they worth as much as a freestanding two-car garage?
October 26, 2013 at 1:51PM   
Create a functional office and study.
This is going to be my office and workshop where I...
Microwave in island. How much space needed around it?
How much space do you really need around an island...
How to hang artwork???
We have two matching pieces of art but would appreciate...
Driving my husband crazy! Please help me finish up family room.
I've been trying to find something for this large wall...
Dust Monitoring Systems - ProDetec
Dust monitoring systems are essential to have installed,...