Chalk paint
solincia
I've never used chalk paint, but I'm purchasing this clock from a friend and would like to paint it black with a lightly distressed finish. Has anyone used chalk paint, and what is your experience with it?
deko32011
I heard Annie Sloan chalk paint is great. I've never used it but I'm considering doing my kitchen cabinets with it. I'd love to see your end result if you do go in that direction
October 26, 2013 at 9:29PM        Thanked by solincia
jsreams
Highly recommend Annie Sloan! Super easy to use and no prepping (other than a good wipe down) at all. Post pictures of the finished product!
October 26, 2013 at 9:38PM        Thanked by solincia
I have used Annie Sloan - I would highly recommend it for a clock, but not so much for kitchen cabinets. While I am happy with the durability for a sideboard, I wouldn't want to scrub kitchen splatters off of it.

Here's how it works - go look at her you tube videos, and you will see more about how it is different from traditional paint. Her colors are very historic, and I think the quality made it worth the $. It is a very soft, easily distressible finish so you can rework it with a wet brush even the next day once it is on and dry - you can highlight all the carving by pulling the chalk paint back off in the curves and grooves - perfect for the look you will want. The way you set the finish is to wax it in with paste wax.

The other thing is that it takes so much less paint because of the coverage it gets. So, start with just one quart / a smaller quantity than you think you need and do get the wax.
October 26, 2013 at 9:48PM        Thanked by solincia
krys0284
for deko32011 i used annie sloan chalk paint in my kitchen to paint my cabinets. It was the worst mistake I have made. Lots of blogs online talked about how great it was and I took the plunge. It was beautiful for less than a month and then it went from bad to omg thats just gross dirty looking. It had to be redone within 8 months, and the prep work to prepare the cabinets was so much more extensive after the chalk paint than if i had used regular paint. My cabinets now have high gloss enamel latex paint on them. A very different look from what i wanted but it has held up beautifully.

Just as a disclaimer. There are 3 children in my household ranging from 2 to 12. And my kitchen regularly has two meals a day cooked in it. It gets used. A lot.

as for the clock and annie sloan paint... i think it would be a wonderful candidate for this type of paint b/c it won't get lots of hard use.
October 27, 2013 at 11:40AM        Thanked by solincia
Vincent Longo Custom Builders
Would definitely recommend Annie Sloan- its very, very easy to use and almost impossible to mess up. I have seen it on kitchen cabinets and the end result was terrific. Not sure where you are located, but they offer classes at many of the places that sell the line. Best of luck, it will look great!!
October 27, 2013 at 12:27PM      Thanked by solincia
heather_11
I am using AS paint right now. The photos are of a dresser i did a few mths ago. I love it. I wouldnt use it in the kitchen though. I used a roller because i wanted a smoother look. Some stains do bleed thru. Mainly furniture from the 50s. You can paint with shellac first to stop this. Definately look at some videos first. By the way i love clock as it is!
October 27, 2013 at 6:05PM      Thanked by solincia
makennac
I suggest signing on to Diane Henkler's fabulous blog: InMyOwnStyle.com.
She's open with her step-by-steps. She's smart and kind and experienced. And she gives recipes for chalk paint if u want to make your own one day, not that I'm suggesting that for you. There are other manufacturers of chalk paint also that Diane has tested n reviewed. I've been painting and refinishing furniture for years, but I'm not sold on the durability of chalk paint. When you watch an AS video on YouTube you'll c her slapping the paint on her object in every direction imaginable to avoid noticeable brush strokes. But on the other hand... Latex dries rubbery at times. I have a tall cabinet that's been rubbery (tacky) for ten years. I have my best luck with plain old satin acrylic and poly. On the "third hand" I bought C C Cauldwell's chalk paint and I'm going to use it soon. Honest. I really am. It's right there. On the counter. Next to the mirror I almost used it on. I'm so bad when it comes to change. Anyway, you have fun with your new adventure. But uh?? If that gorgeous clock works you might want to run it by an antique dealer or check out the manufacturer on-line for the value before you mess with the finish. You never know... Enjoy. M
October 29, 2013 at 8:56PM        Thanked by solincia
Jolene
I have used annie Sloan. Great paint. I also did not use her wax, I just used her clear coat. I did a dresser and end table. Worked great.
October 29, 2013 at 9:07PM      Thanked by solincia
Randy Randazzo
See Martha Stewart video on you tube where she used milk paint on Swedish mora clock. She used a slate.gray and finished with an easy inexpensive wax/ stain finish.......much easier.....could substitute chalk paint.
May 18, 2014 at 10:55PM   
Is chalk paint better than chalk wallpaper ?
I want a wall of chalkboard is paint better than wall...
Painting over Chalk Paint?
Has anyone painted over chalk paint? Do you have to...
I like the idea of painting the legs white with chalk paint
I also like painting the top a little bit darker I...
Painting over chalk board paint
My daughter is planning on painting over a wall that...
Redoing my fireplace with stone, venetian plaster. Need ideas
Small fireplace area, want to use a Tuscan feel with...
Bold paint colour for new master bedroom...please help!
Sooty, no pics because we aren't finished building...
Need Help Refreshing Exterior Of Our House
Our house is a plain, gambrel-style house that was...
I need help with my kitchen final touches!!
I am trying again with photos. Need suggestions for...