Recommendations for Modern White Kitchen?
Joel Giroux Coe
October 27, 2013
Hi,

I am in the process of designing a modern white kitchen. The layout is how it shows in the blueprints so that can not be changed except for the island can be deleted if need be. I am attaching images of the kitchen I have designed in Lowes kitchen designer program. I have a few questions for the experts:

1) What do you think the wall colors should be? I have made the side wall in the kitchen a grey color and the back wall of the house a blue color. What should the opposite wall of the grey wall be? Should it be grey as well. That wall would be where the living room and entrance to the home would be.

2) I will be putting a backsplash in. Any recommendations on modern backsplashes or colors I should use for a modern kitchen?

3) Are there any other free designer programs that are better than Lowes kitchen designer? I have tried homestyler but Lowes seems to to show the finished product in a more realistic fashion.

4) I have selected dark floors, which I for sure want, grey countertops and stainless steel fixtures. Should I go with darker or lighter countertops for a modern feel. And, if I go with darker or lighter countertops what should I do with the walls and backsplash?

Thank you very much in advance for the responses!!!
Value Blinds and Shutters
That blue in the dinning area give a great accent, maybe bring some into the kitchen in a glass tile backsplash or just some kitchen accents to start and go from there,
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Joel Giroux Coe    October 27, 2013 at 12:56PM
sstarr93
By island, do you mean the peninsula, or do you mean the small unit off to the right in the first picture??
I'm finding this rendering difficult to interpret, and I look at a lot of renderings.
You are showing bar stools next to a raised backsplash edge behind the sink - is there supposed to be a piece of countertop extending out from it?
I'm also curious about the space in the upper right, to the right of the unit with the plates on the counter.... what happens there?

I use Trimble Sketchup, and then render with V-Ray. I hadn't seen the Lowe's software before, but it appears to have a good rendering engine.

Do your proposed cabinets resemble these? I'm asking because you said modern, and with the crown moulding, I'm not seeing modern....?
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Joel Giroux Coe    October 27, 2013 at 1:01PM
Joel Giroux Coe
@Value Blinds and Shutters - Thank you for your input!

@ Sstar - Thanks for your input as well. To answer your questions see below:

1) By island, I mean the small 36" unit off to the right.

2) Yes the bar stools are behind the sink which has a raised backsplash. In lowes kitchen designer program it does not allow you to insert a raised bar area. But that is the plan there, to install a raised bar counter that extends 12" from the normal 24" counter. That is why I have made some space from the stools to the counter and some extra space from the stools to the dining room table.

3) The countertop with plates on it are an extension to that corner. Unfortunately, Lowes kitchen designer does not allow you to insert a corner that turns around a corner or wall. They only allow you to insert corner cabinets that turn inward. Does that make sense?

4) Thank you for the design software suggestions.

5) I am not set on the molding but it is a modern style crown molding. Do you suggest no crown molding for very modern kitchens?

Thanks again everyone!
    Bookmark   October 27, 2013 at 1:42PM
Joel Giroux Coe
BTW, cabinets do resemble the one in the pictures for the most part. I am looking at installing the high gloss flat front cabinets. I am not sure on the fixtures yet!
    Bookmark   October 27, 2013 at 1:44PM
sstarr93
Hi Joel,
Depending on the height of your cabinets, you might want to add a moulding, but it should be flat, not angled and built up.
I toured the NY showrooms of all the major modern cabinet lines, and saw little if any moulding, except for styles which bridge the gap between modern and traditional.... transitional kitchens.
Thanks for confirming the other things. If you are already going forward with this design, perhaps you don't need to worry about learning another software package!
Regards, S*
    Bookmark   Thanked by Joel Giroux Coe    October 27, 2013 at 1:55PM
POLKA GIRL DESIGN
I used white mother-of-pearl tile in a white kitchen and it was incredibly beautiful. Google or Houzz pictures. It comes in about 6 different size. Make sure you include "white" in your search.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Joel Giroux Coe    October 27, 2013 at 1:59PM
kosterbelle
Lowes carries a new selection of modern backsplash tiles in icy white glass squares or stainless steel-looking "tiles" that are really modern looking. What I saw were sheets about 12"x12" (approx) and cost about $9 a sheet. They were described for installation as stick on or glue on and then grout over them. Very cool and modern looking.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Joel Giroux Coe    October 27, 2013 at 2:01PM
Joel Giroux Coe
Thank you for the input! Any other suggestions for the kitchen, walls or backsplash?!
    Bookmark   October 27, 2013 at 2:06PM
Joel Giroux Coe
Do you think there is too much grey in the countertops and grey wall? Or, will a nice backsplash with some color in it counter that? I want there to be a little bit of color. That was the reason I made the back wall a blue color.
    Bookmark   October 27, 2013 at 2:08PM
Value Blinds and Shutters
I would make you counter wider with no raised counter behind the faucet. That's what I have and I HATE it, it is the hardest space to clean and with white the grout gets dirty fast from water splashing.
    Bookmark   October 27, 2013 at 2:10PM
Joel Giroux Coe
Should I go with a lighter grey color on the wall to counter the blue wall or vice versa? Or a different color than the blue?
    Bookmark   October 27, 2013 at 2:10PM
Joel Giroux Coe
@ Value Blinds and Shutters - I kind of wanted to have a bar/breakfast area right there. That is why I wanted the raised counter 12" counter for the bar. Thats a good point about the grout getting dirty though...hmmm...I guess I could still have the bar area right there with the counter being 12" wider behind the faucet. I would just need shorter bar stools.
    Bookmark   October 27, 2013 at 2:13PM
Value Blinds and Shutters
I like the blue with the white, the grey and stainless is a little dull to me, I like color or at least accent with color
    Bookmark   Thanked by Joel Giroux Coe    October 27, 2013 at 2:13PM
Joel Giroux Coe
What would you recommend for more color, but still modern? Would you still recommend the modern white squares from lowes? I was thinking of adding some color through the backsplash.
    Bookmark   October 27, 2013 at 2:20PM
Joel Giroux Coe
Maybe like an horizontal tile icy white with some blue in it.
    Bookmark   October 27, 2013 at 2:21PM
Joel Giroux Coe
Should I be aiming to match the backsplash with accent wall?
    Bookmark   October 27, 2013 at 2:22PM
Judy M
Your kitchen ideabook is filled with mostly shaker style cabinets.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Joel Giroux Coe    October 27, 2013 at 2:22PM
Value Blinds and Shutters
I go into a lot of houses in our work and the ones I like the best have an even top and wider for their breakfast bar. The raise wall makes the area smaller and only useable as a breakfast bar, open n flat give you more cooking room. My favorite isle is one that comes out like a table, but you have to have the room for it.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 27, 2013 at 2:22PM
Value Blinds and Shutters
Add color in the backsplash. Not more white, buy a couple tile squares 12x12 and stand them up for for a few days, you will get a better idea for which look you like. My kitchen was all white with a little black in the counters, I add a dark backsplash and some red accent to the walls and it really makes the kitchen pop
    Bookmark   Thanked by Joel Giroux Coe    October 27, 2013 at 2:25PM
ponitayl
Speaking from experience, you will not like the spotlights in your kitchen, I have them on a side wall mounted high where i have an A-Frame ceiling and they are irritating, I only use them as a backup light ONLY if I need them. (They also project heat if you're in the line of light), I suggest changing over to undermount cabinet lighting and ceiling pendants to give an overall light. My experience, no offense. (Oh, sorry, I'm a user, not a pro).
    Bookmark   October 27, 2013 at 2:30PM
dclostboy
The island is distracting...blocks entrance to kitchen for no real purpose...it's not like you'd even use it as buffet for staging.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Joel Giroux Coe    October 27, 2013 at 2:32PM
Joel Giroux Coe
@ Judy M - I know my ideabooks are filled with a lot of shaker style cabinets but the wife likes the flat front modern cabinets. Happy wife happy life!
1 Like    Bookmark   October 27, 2013 at 2:32PM
Joel Giroux Coe
@ Value Blinds and Shutters - Thank you for your insight on the bar/breakfast area. I will most likely go with the even bar top now. That is definitely true about it being more useable for cooking space, I wasn't really thinking of it that way!
    Bookmark   October 27, 2013 at 2:34PM
Value Blinds and Shutters
A good way to add more accents too. I have spotlights over my bar and hate them, one of the things I want to change out to better lite the kitchen and add some accent with. They do have some stainless spotlights that are on rods, look modern to me that add a conversation unique look and can be moved and change to redirect the light
    Bookmark   October 27, 2013 at 2:35PM
Joel Giroux Coe
@ ponitayl - Are you talking about the track lighting, can lighting or the cabinet undermount lighting? When you say ceiling pendants are you referring to cans?
    Bookmark   October 27, 2013 at 2:36PM
Joel Giroux Coe
@ ponitayl - and no offense taken! I want any and all constructive criticism of the design to make it better.
    Bookmark   October 27, 2013 at 2:38PM
Value Blinds and Shutters
Kind of like track but more unique and they hang down lower they the ones I see in the picture and you can add color to them
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Joel Giroux Coe    October 27, 2013 at 2:39PM
Joel Giroux Coe
@ dclostboy - You don't think the island is useable? It is 36" wide. Does anyone else think I should remove the island. I have been had some reservations about the island but I think it adds counterspace and I think it could be used for dessert staging and maybe a little bit of dinner staging.
    Bookmark   October 27, 2013 at 2:40PM
Joel Giroux Coe
@ Value Blinds and Shutters - Do you happen to have a picture of what you are talking about with the lighting?
    Bookmark   October 27, 2013 at 2:42PM
dclostboy
I would much rather extend the upper and lower cabinets opposite it.
    Bookmark   October 27, 2013 at 2:43PM
dclostboy
But maybe I'm just reading the renderings wrong.
    Bookmark   October 27, 2013 at 2:44PM
Joel Giroux Coe
@dclostboy - I can not do that because there will be a door opposite of where the 36" island is.
    Bookmark   October 27, 2013 at 2:46PM
Joel Giroux Coe
@ dclostboy - Basically I have maximized the space, nothing can be changed except for the 36" island can be taken out.
    Bookmark   October 27, 2013 at 2:47PM
Value Blinds and Shutters
In the pictures it hard to tell what is around the island and how it separates the kitchen. If you make the sink countertop flat and maybe wider, you might not need that small island and find a better use for that area. Cook are alway looking for more storage space
    Bookmark   October 27, 2013 at 2:48PM
sstarr93
Can you post a floor layout view? Then I think we could have a better read on the island.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 27, 2013 at 2:51PM
Joel Giroux Coe
@ sstarr - Yes, I have attached the blueprint for the main floor. The blueprint is a bit different than the design. The wall next to the bathroom (in the kitchen) is not there in the design, I am taking that out. Also the closets and walls in the blueprint in the middle of the room (where the island is) will not be there. But there will be the 2 foot wall, as seen in the design.
    Bookmark   October 27, 2013 at 3:00PM
Joel Giroux Coe
Attached is the blueprint.
    Bookmark   October 27, 2013 at 3:00PM
dclostboy
The two foot wall conceals a support column?
    Bookmark   October 27, 2013 at 3:01PM
dclostboy
Makes a little bit more sense. Any thoughts as to making the island a desk and have glass front cabinets above?
    Bookmark   October 27, 2013 at 3:03PM
Value Blinds and Shutters
I found some picture of a light fixture sim alar to one I saw and liked at lowes or Home Depot, not sure how to get it over, it's in my idea book taken from the product photos. Go yo my site and see my deco idea book
    Bookmark   Thanked by Joel Giroux Coe    October 27, 2013 at 3:05PM
Joel Giroux Coe
@ dclostboy - yes the 2 foot wall is the support beam for the house.
    Bookmark   October 27, 2013 at 3:06PM
Joel Giroux Coe
@dclostboy - Are you talking about turning the island 90 degrees to make it flush against the 2 foot wall, making the island 24"? I did not want to put cabinets above it because it would obstruct the open concept to the living room more.
    Bookmark   October 27, 2013 at 3:08PM
Value Blinds and Shutters
I share the idea book with a couple tiles I like and lite fixture
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Joel Giroux Coe    October 27, 2013 at 3:08PM
Joel Giroux Coe
@ Value Blinds and Shutters - Thank you for that...I checked your idea book, Which of the 3 light fixtures are you talking about?
    Bookmark   October 27, 2013 at 3:10PM
Joel Giroux Coe
@Judy M - Thank you for the ideas!
1 Like    Bookmark   October 27, 2013 at 3:16PM
maxmanmom
We built and have a "California Bar", one level kitchen counter.... It's the best!! Everyone loves it. Think of you faucet, you'll see it all the time. Good splurge item.
Just saw a great idea at lighting store. And under mount lighting strip with plugs. Wish I'd seen it when we built 3 years ago. You have no visual plugs. Looks very streamline.
    Bookmark   October 27, 2013 at 3:23PM
Joel Giroux Coe
@maxmanmom - Thanks for your input! Yes, I am going to do the outlet strip under the cabinets so there are no outlets on the walls! It definitely looks smooth.
    Bookmark   October 27, 2013 at 3:28PM
Joel Giroux Coe
@maxmanmom - I think I am going to do the one level counter rather than the raised bar counter, it does sound more appealing!
1 Like    Bookmark   October 27, 2013 at 3:29PM
sstarr93
I agree with that!
    Bookmark   Thanked by Joel Giroux Coe    October 27, 2013 at 4:10PM
Value Blinds and Shutters
The rod with the three lites is the closet picture I could find, the one I saw had a little longer and more curve. Spot lites are good in the ceiling in the center, but these are great for over the sink area and I also seen silmilar ones with color lites. You can never have too much lighting over the stove and counter area
    Bookmark   Thanked by Joel Giroux Coe    October 27, 2013 at 4:20PM
ponitayl
Try www.lightinthebox for pendants for cheap!
Glass & Metal Tiles will give you options for changing out accent colors for seasons to come or just a change in general (Example: www.cooltiles.com)
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Joel Giroux Coe    October 27, 2013 at 4:42PM
dclostboy
Maybe just me...but island still feels disconnected from the rest of the kitchen. I missed that the walls around the island were coming down. Overall, I think you've optimized what you can do given the parameters you've laid out.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Joel Giroux Coe    October 27, 2013 at 5:08PM
ponitayl
Chuckles at myself, I will clean my kitchen tomorrow am and take pics of my friend family counter including my glass tile backsplash, my 6 bar stools with pads I made for them, I will also include pics of the "rude" spot lights that I hate and show you my ceiling with fans/lighting to give you an idea of yay & nay's. We have a 1955 Florida ranch home that had a TINY Galley kitchen. Everyone loves the counter with bar stools and it keeps them OUT of my kitchen while I'm working but I can still entertain & interact! "Out" of my kitchen is the key to entertaining as dear as friends & family are and offer to assist. "Just saying", your wife will appreciate it! (& no, I'm not a pig sty....chuckles)
    Bookmark   Thanked by Joel Giroux Coe    October 27, 2013 at 5:12PM
ponitayl
Track lighting is good for highlighting art, not as a main lighting source. Period.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Joel Giroux Coe    October 27, 2013 at 5:31PM
Joel Giroux Coe
@dclostboy - The 2 foot wall seen in the picture is not coming down. But the blue print shows that area differently, with 2 closets and more walls.
    Bookmark   October 27, 2013 at 5:49PM
Joel Giroux Coe
lol ponitayl, I will look forward to the pics! Thanks!
    Bookmark   October 27, 2013 at 5:59PM
Joel Giroux Coe
@ ponitayl - Thanks for the pictures and links!
    Bookmark   October 27, 2013 at 6:02PM
Joel Giroux Coe
Here is the kitchen without the island and with pendant lights. What do you think, island or no island?
2 Likes    Bookmark   October 28, 2013 at 10:10AM
ponitayl
I like the island, it's a nice separator that ao provides storage, a work space and acts as a room divider. (In a kitchen, you can ever have enough storage space)
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Joel Giroux Coe    October 28, 2013 at 10:27AM
Value Blinds and Shutters
The second set of picture are a lot better. The thin empty wall looks like it needs something. It looks like maybe a bookshelf type storage area with drop down desk would work there. Was that where the island was ? Couldn't tell in the other photos. If it was I like it better without, it was too wide.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Joel Giroux Coe    October 28, 2013 at 10:29AM
Joel Giroux Coe
Thanks guys! I'm torn between having the island or not!
    Bookmark   October 28, 2013 at 10:47AM
Joel Giroux Coe
@ Value Blinds and Shutters - Heres a couple pictures of a desk in replacement of the island. What do you guys think of that?
    Bookmark   October 28, 2013 at 10:48AM
Joel Giroux Coe
Here's a few pictures of the desk with glass wall cabinets above it. Better or worse?
    Bookmark   October 28, 2013 at 10:49AM
Joel Giroux Coe
@ Value Blinds - Yes that is where the island was! The island was where the desk is now but the island was turned 90 degrees facing the kitchen.
    Bookmark   October 28, 2013 at 10:52AM
Paint wall a gray also. A stainless mosaic backsplash .
    Bookmark   October 28, 2013 at 10:54AM
Darker countertops.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Joel Giroux Coe    October 28, 2013 at 10:54AM
Joel Giroux Coe
To refresh the memory, and so you don't have to scroll up here are a few or the original pictures with the island.
    Bookmark   October 28, 2013 at 10:55AM
Joel Giroux Coe
@ travisinteriors - When you say "wall a" do you mean paint the far wall where the living room will be grey so that it matches the opposite grey wall?
    Bookmark   October 28, 2013 at 11:01AM
Value Blinds and Shutters
I Like the desk and cabinet above, it looks like it belongs there, and doesn't seem to close it up like the island
    Bookmark   Thanked by Joel Giroux Coe    October 28, 2013 at 7:27PM
Joel Giroux Coe
@Value Blinds and Shutters - I think I like the desk better as well. I have another discussion up on Houzz and someone recommended doing a dry bar there as well which I thought was also a good idea.
    Bookmark   October 29, 2013 at 10:08AM
Value Blinds and Shutters
with the cabinet above you could use it for desk or dry bar, just have to make sure the bottles fix. It looks like it could be used for a lot of different things, not just a desk,
    Bookmark   October 29, 2013 at 11:19AM
help and opinion for backsplash tiles for my white modern kitchen!!
Finally our dream come true and we have the white modern...
minilondon2010
Modernize this 90's kitchen
Hello! My parents just bought a house and I'm helping...
Christine Li
Turn a white wall in a modern house into a beautiful bar display
I would like to convert this white wall into a seamless...
Adam
Turning an old modern house into a modern modern house
We purchased a very cool (to us) house. It was built...
Anthony Mills
Need ideas for Kitchen Island in new modern kitchen. Last detail...Help!! (please)
My last 2 details in the kitchen are a fan (bladeless...
lisa N
Help in Kitchen for flooring
need to match the tile anyone know where to get it?...
mcbs1961
Wall lamps for vanity table?
Now that I have my bedside lamps I place, I'm considering...
Sheriff821
Hate my new granite!!! This whole process has been a nightmare-TAKE2
Hi All- I need help pulling my kitchen together! The...
mhaber22
Butcher block set into granite?
Putting 6'wide x 4' island in our remodel. It will...
kiki D
Sputnik light for dining room table
Hi, I am looking for a Sputnik light for our dining...
katemccarthy1