Attic Remodel: extra space
Claudette Davidson
We are thinking of turning our attic space into an open office/ craft room. While the space looks like it could be up to the job, I'm not sure that we are. Does anyone have experience with a total renovation. I mean from blown insulation to living space, how much it relatively costs and how long the project lasted. We've got some big ideas and a seriously small budget. Any info and ideas would be helpful, including how to get someone out to take a look to see if our ideas are possible. Who would I need: a contractor, an architect or both?
HERE Design and Architecture
Both - and be sure to get the architect in at the beginning. It may turn out to be a simple project but it would be best to have it looked at at the beginning to be sure.
October 27, 2013 at 4:23PM   
You could just consult a builder if getting the 'basic' attic space habitable is the main concern and the conversion is relatively straight forward.
October 27, 2013 at 4:29PM   
HERE Design and Architecture
I expect that such a project may involve coordination having to do with head heights, appropriate ventilation of conditioned and any remaining unconditioned spaces, interior access, and even egress. When people go about finishing attic space, they end up with rooms that sometimes get converted later to use as sleeping quarters, so, I think it is a good idea to have someone who will address those kinds of issues from the beginning.
October 27, 2013 at 9:01PM   
A Kitchen That Works LLC
I would concur with both Dytecture and HERE Design.
October 27, 2013 at 9:11PM   
GSDesigns
While the use of an architect could be beneficial, most design/build firms can do this type of renovation. Depending on where you live, building permits may be required, especially if you are altering any structural elements, such as the joists to carry the added live load. A good design/build firm will take over the whole job for you. They will design the space according to your specifications, get the drawings approved through an architect or engineer, build the space and contract all the sub-trades for you. If you are not experienced in DIY, this is the best way to go. If you have some experience, you should be able to work closely with a contractor to do all of the above.
No designer or contractor, however, should give you any kind of price without looking at the space in person. As well, the time it takes to do the project can only be determined once a design is established. That being said, a couple of years ago I renovated my own attic space into a master suite. The whole project cost approximately $65,000 and took about two months. The whole project was done by myself alone but I am very experienced.
Take a look at some of the photos.
October 27, 2013 at 9:36PM   
GSDesigns
This is the end result.
October 27, 2013 at 9:38PM   
digital signage
Everyone knows that in order to sell successfully in...
Every house deserves a name
Does your house have one? Would you like it to? Please...
Building a 4 Season room
I'm planning an addition to my home. A 4 season room...
Bathroom sconces suggestion
The bathroom is new and needs curtains and lighting....
Kitchen redesign help
I'm open to suggestions for updating this kitchen and...