Size of area rug!? Solid vs pattern?
Cynthia Jackson
October 27, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Trying to get a rug to fit the space. This one seems small, but I also don't want to cover the wood floors totally. And I don't know if solid would be better or a floral pattern? Any and all suggestions welcome! Thanks!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
JudyG Designs
So hard to judge your space, but it is not just the rug which is off. Would the sectional fit on the other wall? Then put the single chair to the right of the fireplace; the coffee table and the rug horizontally to the fireplace.
0 Likes   Thanked by Cynthia Jackson    October 27, 2013 at 4:06PM
abbyjean
I was going to suggest the same arrangement for the room that iamjudy loves.

You do need a bigger rug......a patterned one that will go under the front feet of the furniture.........but that will cover your beautiful floor, too. Would you be ok without a rug at all? I know that will put wood on wood with the tables, but it might still be ok. Add color to the area with pillows and art instead. I love this space!!!
0 Likes   Thanked by Cynthia Jackson    October 27, 2013 at 4:08PM
Darzy
Yes, I think you need a bigger rug too. Maybe an 8 x 10. You could do a neutral leopard print, then you can mix up your accent colors. Or, get a pretty and artful looking statement rug. What style do you prefer?
Soar - 8' x 10'
Nourison Julian 8' x 11' Aqua Rug
Handmade Soho Leopard Skin Beige New Zealand Wool Rug
0 Likes   Thanked by Cynthia Jackson    October 27, 2013 at 4:14PM
Cynthia Jackson
Thanks! It's big furniture, but this pic is fr the landing going upstairs. Sectional wont fit on wall :(. Definitely need wall art! Aqua rug!
0 Likes   October 27, 2013 at 4:45PM
PRO
JudyG Designs
Are you sure? Right now you have a chair and a table there with some room to spare…the wedge and the remaining piece would curve around into the room. Then the chair could go in the corner right of the fireplace.

You could pull it out from the stairwall and get to the stairs from behind the sofa. The purchase a rug to go under the sectional.

Somewhat like this….

1 Like   Thanked by Cynthia Jackson    October 28, 2013 at 11:29AM
Nancy Travisinteriors
8 x11. Print traditional. Go black, cream, gold. Add same in pillows to sofa and chair.
0 Likes   Thanked by Cynthia Jackson    October 28, 2013 at 11:37AM
Nancy Travisinteriors
I would float sofa to look at firepl. Add panels to window in cream. Get dark wood coffee table. 24" round. Floor lamp for end of sofa by window. Chair status but pushed towards wall 2 ft. Area rug 8 x 11 same as above. A big art piece over firepl. 36" hang 5-6" above mantel. Nothing but 3 brass candlesticks on one end. Ad a palm in corner by window. A floor mirror in wide dark frame, on wall centered next to firepl.
0 Likes   Thanked by Cynthia Jackson    October 28, 2013 at 11:42AM
Nancy Travisinteriors
Replace fan with low chandelier. In a crystal.
0 Likes   October 28, 2013 at 11:43AM
Nancy Travisinteriors
Never mind about floor mirror put your chair with small table there. lose all oak.
0 Likes   October 28, 2013 at 11:44AM
strifeanddiscord
I agree with @travisinterors. You should remove the return so the sofa faces the fireplace. You also need medium to large sized paintings/posters/pictures on the walls. After you reorient the sofa, it's not so much the size of your rug that's the issue, it's just a bit uninteresting. I suppose it could be a tad larger. Oh, and travis had it right about window dressing too, but skip the candle sticks, they just gather dust.
0 Likes   Thanked by Cynthia Jackson    October 28, 2013 at 11:54AM
Debp
Are you taking the picture from the kitchen? I think I see a bit of granite counter top. Have you tried turning - as suggested - the couch to face the fireplace? Does it fit and if so, is it better to the left or right as far as your traffic flow in the room? Can you post a picture of that? Then we can make suggestions depending upon where the couch is finally placed.
0 Likes   Thanked by Cynthia Jackson    October 28, 2013 at 12:07PM
Cynthia Jackson
we are going to play with the furniture this weekend and see how we can rearrange it. Going to get a new rug 8 x 11 and art for walls and a floor lamp. will post pics when its done. Thanks for all advice! ANY ideas on where to get large art pieces for good price???
0 Likes   November 2, 2013 at 8:35AM
abbyjean
I see people mention TJ Maxx and Home Goods on here quite a bit. We do not live near those, so I do not know for sure. I love how art can add so much to a room, but do not want it to add to the price, either.
0 Likes   Thanked by Cynthia Jackson    November 2, 2013 at 8:43AM