Need help for kitchen eating area
seamusmax
October 27, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Need help for my bay window with its claustrophobic bulkhead. New window coverings? Also, I want to replace my chandelier but not certain what type of fixture would look best.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
decoenthusiaste
Lighten it up, add a banquette, lighter paint and shades and a new casual chandy or drum.
Vestavia Hills House
Kitchen
October 27, 2013 at 5:43pm     
Leslie
I was going to suggest a banquette as well, because it seems like a good use of space. But if you're not looking to renovate (which I completely understand!), you might think about some bamboo shades at the windows (as in decoenthusiaste's second picture). They let in light if you choose to keep them down, but would give the window an updated look. You might also think about forgoing window treatments altogether - I'm not sure what your view is out that window though.

It looks like you have a beautiful kitchen, with bright white cabinets and a lovely backsplash. You might consider a round pendant lamp, like the one below from Restoration Hardware. You could also choose a pendant lamp with a pattern, or color, depending on the look you're going for in the space.
October 27, 2013 at 8:28pm   
seamusmax
Thank you both for your helpful comments. I am going to try and add pics of the rest of the kitchen because the one posted didn't give the right idea of how bright a room it is. The bay window unfortunately looks directly onto the street corner so there is a need for privacy at night and the ability to control bright sun during the day. Perhaps new wood blinds in a shade to match the walls ( cream). We didn't change the blinds when we redid the kitchen- tried to save $. Also I am liking the George Nelson Classic Saucer fixture. Will it work. I should also say we are installing place pendants above the island.

I really appreciate the feedback! Hopefully I am submitting the photo I think I am!
October 28, 2013 at 8:03am   
Leslie
I'm not sold on the wood blinds, even in another color. I think some kind of shade would be a better way to go. If you don't like the idea of bamboo, perhaps a Roman shade that pulls some of the blue you have in your decorative accents.

Is this the light fixture you're talking about? I think a George Nelson would work, but I would personally lean toward something less modern, as you have some very traditional elements here (i.e. the candlesticks, plates, etc.). Does anyone else have thoughts on the light fixture?
October 28, 2013 at 6:56pm   
decoenthusiaste
This, or something else with wrought iron, might complement the table base which is visible with the class table top. Size is the issue - try to find one 1/2 the table's width. Some styles can go up to 3/4 of the width but it can be a tricky balance. You don't want diners to feel like there is something hanging over their heads or plates.

October 29, 2013 at 8:16am   
Debp
Bamboo shades in a mid tone would pick up on the color of your chairs.
October 29, 2013 at 8:29am