Red Bathroom Design Dilemma
Alexandra Norwood
I am in the process of selling my house (1937 Red Brick Tudor) and this is the Master Bath. The room has vaulted ceilings, large windows and lots of potential. I don't have the funds to completely remodel it, but would like some cheap, inexpensive ideas that could be done to make it more desirable. Between the red tile, red toilet, dated vanity, and gray tile floor... It's a bit of a mess. I personally don't love it, but it never bothered me enough to change it during my time living at the house. Any and all ideas are welcome!
mecc interiors inc.
How much of an investment do you want to make? If you do not have the budget and/or desire to change the toilet and tiles, work with them to make a statement, sticking with the red and grey scheme. One of the most economical solutions is paint. Prime and paint the vanity and walls. You could add some hardware to the doors/drawers and get a nicer faucet. I cannot tell what the show interior looks like, but consider swapping out the browns for white, grey, silver, and/or red accessories. If you do not like the floor tile, a larger area rug to easily be put down to brighten and enliven the space.
4 Likes   Thanked by Alexandra Norwood    October 28, 2013 at 9:33AM
Alexandra Norwood
I never considered painting the the vanity or adding hardware! I'm having all of the wood floors in the house refinished and that's rather costly, so I really have no budget for this bathroom unfortunately. A few hundred dollars is really all I can afford.
0 Likes   October 28, 2013 at 9:41AM
A Crew of Two
Start by getting a new mirror and light fixture. Then a plain shower curtain. Remove the bit of tile back splash over the vanity. Patch and paint the room a warm gray.
5 Likes   Thanked by Alexandra Norwood    October 28, 2013 at 9:58AM
Alexandra Norwood
That's a great color and I do think it will go nicely with the tiled floor! I believe I can do most, if not all your suggestions on my budget. As for painting the vanity, what would be a good color? I was thinking a darker gray (matte?), but then my husband suggested white.
0 Likes   October 28, 2013 at 10:57AM
A Crew of Two
Isn't your tub a beige? I would not do white if it is. You want to make the space seem up to date and clean for resale. You could do a cream and then do an antique finish over it.
2 Likes   Thanked by Alexandra Norwood    October 28, 2013 at 11:05AM
Alexandra Norwood
It's hard to tell in the photo and I'm sure it has a lot to do with the current wall color and lighting, but the sink and tub are both a very light gray. So I think the idea of having the walls about that same color will be great!
0 Likes   October 28, 2013 at 11:38AM
A Crew of Two
Awesome- then white could definitely work
1 Like   Thanked by Alexandra Norwood    October 28, 2013 at 11:39AM
Alexandra Norwood
I'm going to start working on it tomorrow and hopefully be done by the weekend. I will post after photos once I'm finished. Thanks SO much for all the ideas!
1 Like   October 28, 2013 at 12:00PM
mpoulsom
yep, if you can paint that vanity, change the hardware and buy an inexpensive large framed mirror to hang on wall and change the light fixture to match new hardware, you are gold as far as reselling!
1 Like   Thanked by Alexandra Norwood    October 28, 2013 at 12:37PM
beautiful2013
a few ideas. I would use semi glass for the cabinet and wood. If the bathtub is seperate and not a shower I would keep the space open without a shower curtain to make the room look larger. How about adding a long shelf below the slanted wall above the tub when you enter the room. Add several 7 -9 nice candles in clear or mirror candle holders for a little glam and spa like look. Add beautiful towels to your room and maybe a beautiful floral painting/print with some red in it above the toilet. Put down a beautiful rug to compliment the room and keep use a simple yet interesting pattern depending on your style. Enjo your makeover.
1 Like   Thanked by Alexandra Norwood    October 28, 2013 at 6:29PM
orangecamera
For about $100 or so, you can get a toilet to match the sink and tub.
3 Likes   Thanked by Alexandra Norwood    October 28, 2013 at 6:46PM
mpoulsom
orangecamera, you are so right about the potty!! Good call on that one.
2 Likes   October 29, 2013 at 12:23PM
orangecamera
woohoo! I got something right! :)
2 Likes   October 29, 2013 at 1:00PM
Sustainable Dwellings
Get the matching toilet and leave everything clean, and as it is... let the new owners do what they want. Do not throw good $$$ after bad, it won't come back.
2 Likes   October 29, 2013 at 1:26PM
Good point Sustainable Dwellings. A new toilet, clean and perhaps only fresh paint. The new owners who buy the house will say, "I love the house, except we need to update the bathroom". They will say that even if you replace the mirror and paint the vanity.
2 Likes   October 29, 2013 at 1:36PM
beautiful2013
Alexandra, if you do want to add a curtain assuming it isn't a shower you could buy two 84 inich lined curtain panels & put them on a expandable shower curtain rod. Drape each panel on each side of the tub. Visually that will dress your bathroom up. Good luck .
1 Like   October 29, 2013 at 1:58PM
Alexandra Norwood
Part of me was wondering if it's just too much of a disaster to even attempt a cheap makeover. However, I've done some shopping around and called in a few favors and I can get a new toilet, new mirror, new light, and paint for the walls and vanity for a little less than $200. I've got someone coming over tonight to check out a few things in the room to be sure I can do what I want. Depending on that, I may just end up doing it over the next couple days. The problem that I'm running into with selling my house is I don't have an open floor plan or an updated kitchen amongst other things that today's buyer is looking for. My house is old, but pretty well updated for what it is. I think making this bathroom a little easier on the eyes may help ease a buyers mind. I'll keep you guys posted :)
3 Likes   October 29, 2013 at 3:05PM
Alexandra Norwood
Thanks so much for all the help and suggestions!
1 Like   October 29, 2013 at 3:06PM
Alexandra Norwood
I told you guys that I would keep you posted on this bathroom. Here's a link to the new discussion I posted of the before and after!
http://www.houzz.com/discussions/717149/m=WW91ciBwb3N0IHdhcyBzdWNjZXNzZnVsbHkgYWRkZWQgdG8gdGhlIERpc2N1c3Npb25zIHNlY3Rpb24u/-200-Master-Bathroom-Makeover

Let me know what you think :) Thanks again for all of your help!
0 Likes   November 4, 2013 at 8:03AM
Master Bedroom and Ensuite Bathroom Design Dilemma!
The space I am going to convert is a second living...
aly1331
bathroom design dilemma
I am planning to remodel my master bath, which is small....
ltrathen
bathroom design dilemmas
Hi I am new to this and am finding photos of gorgeous...
0404kel
Biggest bathroom design dilemma EVER!
This is a very tricky one, I will warn you, .... We...
Joann Yurchesyn
Master Bathroom Renovation Design Dilemma
My master bathroom has not been renovated since 1972!...
melonieravenelle
Bathroom color please advise!
I have just renovated a small bathroom. The wall tile...
kodiebear
Brand new painted cabinets chipping on edges.
We did custom painted cabinets shaker sale cabinets...
fanofmyfam
Where to put all our kitchen items
Hi all. We are in the last steps of our kitchen redesign...
Laura Pasek
Please HELP! I need ideas on how to modernize my 90's RENTAL kitchen
* I can not change the cabinets or white appliances...
cmaher421
All white walls look
I loved all the pictures of the all white wall look...
debovalencia