Where to put recessed lights
Mahmood Al_TuraniOctober 28, 2013
Hi Houzzers,

Contractor is done of the ceiling decoration of the formal room and it's time to hole the recessed lights, and I would like to get some ideas.

There are three levels in the ceiling the from inner:
level 1: upper most is concrete and it's not possible to put recessed lights into but I will hang 2 pendants from it
level 2: is lowered by 4"from level1
level 3: the third is lowered by 4" from level 2, at the edge of level 3 there will be a surrounding hidden LED rope, then ceiling will back to level 1.

Thanks.
Mahmood Al_Turani
there will be a dining and sofas sitting, the layout could be like this, suggestions plz.
    Bookmark   October 28, 2013 at 11:14AM
Fred S
The ceiling design unites the two rooms too much to really place lights where they are needed over the table. Perhaps, the inside tracks in the ceiling can go around the lounge area, and the ceiling where the table goes would have less or a slightly different contour. This would give the lights a place to rest.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 28, 2013 at 11:47AM
Fred S
Quick sketch
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Mahmood Al_Turani    October 28, 2013 at 11:56AM
Mahmood Al_Turani
here is what i thought of, any other suggestions ? or improvements?
    Bookmark   October 28, 2013 at 12:01PM
mefor
I really like the way Fred's suggestion makes a feature for the dining area :)
    Bookmark   October 28, 2013 at 12:03PM
mefor
If you can't change the ceiling "footprint" can you add chandelier over the center of table?
    Bookmark   Thanked by Mahmood Al_Turani    October 28, 2013 at 12:05PM
Fred S
... having lights on different switches gives the room more flexibility. These are just crude drawings to give you the idea.
Mahmood Al_Turani
posted before seeing your suggestions Fred, ty for help, hmm yeah it would be nice to make 2 different sections for dining and lounge, but I didn't went through this option because i thought it's kind of limiting my layout options and creating one big would be more flexible, now it's kinda late to do such modifications because the ceiling is ready but i have no real photo for it.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 28, 2013 at 12:07PM
Mahmood Al_Turani
@mforr, the foot print has been fixed by now, I can add a chandelier centered above table but it will take to the side of room, is this fine ?
1 Like    Bookmark   October 28, 2013 at 12:12PM
Mahmood Al_Turani
@Fred are you suggesting to have 3 switches for 3 groups of recessed lights and keep the foot print same?
1 Like    Bookmark   October 28, 2013 at 12:13PM
mefor
Yes, as long as the table is centered under the chandelier, it can still make a feature of the dining area. So it won't feel like an afterthought, like it was supposed to be its own area. Good luck, it looks like a lovely detail. :)
1 Like    Bookmark   October 28, 2013 at 12:22PM
Fred S
Well, since the ceiling is already there, let me think a bit, but ,yes, separate sections of lights would be good. In your plan, maybe at least inside lights and outside lights, but that doesn't really give you the type of lighting scheme I would want in a double use open room. A computerized lighting board would be great for this room. It would allow you to turn on any combination of lights you want.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 28, 2013 at 12:27PM
Fred S
I was originally suggesting a different footprint/ contour of the ceiling.
    Bookmark   October 28, 2013 at 12:34PM
Fred S
I think if you go with something like your thought, the lights need spread out more.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Mahmood Al_Turani    October 28, 2013 at 12:45PM
Fred S
The red ones instead of your placement on that level.
    Bookmark   October 28, 2013 at 12:46PM
Fred S
If the ceiling is high enough, you could do your layout and use gimbals to spread the light out better. But, with a ceiling under 10 feet, you might get too much glare using a directional light like an eyeball or too wide of a flood.
    Bookmark   October 28, 2013 at 12:51PM
Mahmood Al_Turani
If I angel the dining then the chandelier will be in the corner of inner track, what do you think?
    Bookmark   October 28, 2013 at 12:53PM
Mahmood Al_Turani
The ceiling height is 9.2 feet, from the chandeliers root, I think if more light needed doubling the LED rope would be good.
    Bookmark   October 28, 2013 at 12:58PM
Fred S
It is a good possibility, but if you think about it, a chandelier limits the room options as much as a different ceiling detail would have done. It brings to mind the adaptor to hang a regular light from a recessed can. Then you could move the chandelier when you wanted. But, that would also require the lights to be wired to an automation board. A swagged chandelier would also give you some flexibility.
    Bookmark   October 28, 2013 at 1:06PM
Fred S
Your lighting layout will be dramatic, because there will be darker and lighter areas. This can be a good thing or a not so good thing, depending on your personality :)
1 Like    Bookmark   October 28, 2013 at 1:11PM
Mahmood Al_Turani
When I have seen such a ceiling in real it gave me the feeling that light is emerging above the ceiling . so yes I love it dramatic :)
1 Like    Bookmark   October 28, 2013 at 1:32PM
Mahmood Al_Turani
How big sin is it to have a dining without chandelier ?
    Bookmark   October 28, 2013 at 1:36PM
mefor
It's not a sin. I've seen people use a very tall lamp or two instead, just make sure that there's a dimmer capability so the lighting is more "moody/soft/romantic" rather than bright.
2 Likes    Bookmark   October 28, 2013 at 1:49PM
mefor
:)
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Mahmood Al_Turani    October 28, 2013 at 1:51PM
mefor
I know, then you need electricity in floor under table, or through table leg. But it is possible, if you like the idea and want to avoid chandeliers.
    Bookmark   October 28, 2013 at 1:53PM
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Mahmood Al_Turani    October 28, 2013 at 2:08PM
Mahmood Al_Turani
Thanks Mforr & Luciana, great I like the idea of Arc floor, single arc lamp works well with square and circular tables, but for long rectangular table 2 will work better.
3 Likes    Bookmark   October 28, 2013 at 2:36PM
How many Recessed Lights to put in dark dining room?
Hello! I am having a home built and am working on...
dat311
Help on pot light placement in kitchen
I would love some input on where to put recessed lighting...
dayjackie
Where to put recessed lighting
Hi our electricians are currently wiring our kitchen...
G C
Need input on what size recessed lights and light layout for kitchen.
Would it be worth 4 inch lights? I was thinking just...
dricchio
Where to place recessed lighting in family room
Thanks to another Houzz commentor, who suggested putting...
browniebear
Help us have a ' safe and happy landing ;)'
Our apartment is on the fourth and top floor of our...
chayalarosenberg
New Home in desperate need of HELP! What is missing?
We are buying this home and I need help fixing whatever...
Julie Smith
Barn Conversion Space
We are converting a historical mill barn into a residence....
cdec_65
The clock and pictures where to place them
What is the best place for the clock, the two small...
nema83
need help picking a color
I have gray base boards and door molding, which I like....
lsdomanico