What to do with one wall in kitchen?

LeslieOctober 28, 2013
Help! It's only 12" deep, but I think I can put a wall of 24" deep pullout drawers. My husband wants a more traditional look - lower cabinets and upper cabinets. It won't match the rest of the kitchen - which is getting painted and other stuff. Right now I have a tv armoire and I am using it as a pantry. But without drawers, I still have to get on the floor to get things out.
Countertops just add extra cost to the cabinets and it seems that you probably have enough counter space already and really need pantry space. I would do a full height pantry wall with doors such as is shown below.

However, I am concerned that there doesn't seem to be much space between your island and where the pantry wall will start. Keep in mind that a pantry should probably NOT be 24" deep as it will be hard to find things with that much depth. It could be anything from 12 to 18" deep and 15" would be just fine. Those pullout shelves shown below work well but are not inexpensive.

I'd plan on having at least 36" of space between the island and the pantry wall.

Hale Aina By The Sea · More Info
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Leslie    October 28, 2013 at 1:24PM
Leslie
The island is movable and only 24x48.
    Bookmark   October 28, 2013 at 1:33PM
Okay, so what do you think about the idea of a wall pantry?
    Bookmark   October 28, 2013 at 1:58PM
Leslie
I still need to put the microwave somewhere....here's the rest of the kitchen...before island and armoire.
    Bookmark   October 28, 2013 at 2:18PM
You definitely need to add storage to your kitchen, and additional counter space, too. So the new island and a wall of storage should help you greatly. The microwave could be built into the island.
Killer Kitchens · More Info

Island · More Info
    Bookmark   October 28, 2013 at 2:38PM
Leslie
What about a mix or a turn - we really don't use the space by the window.
    Bookmark   October 28, 2013 at 2:43PM
Leslie
I have a slab and we don't have electricity there. I thought about putting it in the bottom cabinet by the stove or even over the dishwasher.
    Bookmark   October 28, 2013 at 2:45PM
We need a kitchen designer to step in to advise you. I hope we can get one.
    Bookmark   October 28, 2013 at 2:57PM
Judy M
Where will you purchase your new cabinets? Do they have a kitchen designer?
    Bookmark   October 28, 2013 at 3:01PM
Leslie
Only for the one wall - I was hoping IKEA. The rest of the cabinets are in really good shape-just outdated. I was going to paint them, get new countertops and new flooring. I really like the trafficmaster Allure wood look planks. And taking down the wallpaper.
    Bookmark   October 28, 2013 at 3:11PM
Ikea has someone in their kitchen department who can advise you if you go armed with photos and dimensions. But I'm hoping we'll get a kitchen designer here to take a look at your photos.
    Bookmark   October 28, 2013 at 5:35PM
OnePlan
hi Leslie, Carolyn and Judy !!
have been reading with interest !!
So by the look of it that wall could easily take some of the 800 tall cabinets ( the shallow ones ) in the ikea range - and you can customise the interior so the top is all shelving and the bottom can be drawers ( yes, even in the shallow ones !) but if there's no electricity over on that side at all then the micro will need to be accommodated in the original kitchen ?! unless there's budget to get some electric in on the other side ? then maybe incorporate the L shape coming in front of the window - with maybe a deeper counter top so you can have stools in the bay window and have coffee or breakfast on the countertop ?!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Leslie    October 28, 2013 at 11:36PM
OnePlan
might be worth adding your ikea plan as well as the perspectives - so I can gauge the space better ?!
Here, in Europe, Ikea are planning an overhaul of the kitchen ranges - and will be changing to new ranges very soon - they will still keep 'spares' stock of the old ranges - but if your intention was to do half now and the other half later -I would suggest you bite the bullet and do it all now -while they are promoting the old stock at lower prices - as you may not get a match if you wait ?!
(sorry for typos - am on my phone - as it's only 06:42 here in UK !)
    Bookmark   Thanked by Leslie    October 28, 2013 at 11:42PM
What does the wall with the armoire back up to? If it's not an exterior wall, you may be able to get electrical from there.

@OnePlan...thanks for joining the conversation here and giving us some good info on IKEA!
1 Like    Bookmark   October 29, 2013 at 9:12AM
Leslie
There is electricity on each wall, just not in the middle of the room. That's why microwave now is on the butcher block. Will the shallow cabinets hold the microwave? Kitchen is 12'x 12' and that includes to the window. The space for the windows takes up 2'x9' and has a header. We've lived here 23 years. We don't use the bay window-the ceiling is too low. But it will make a nice herb garden!
    Bookmark   October 29, 2013 at 10:46AM
Leslie
Here's some more dimensions with a floor plan if the kitchen was empty.
    Bookmark   October 29, 2013 at 11:19AM
OnePlan
Leslie - from a safety point of view I'd strongly suggest you consider moving your cooker to central of that wall - as having it on the end of the run is quite dangerous ! Pot handles sticking out into the direct pathway of the door !!
    Bookmark   October 29, 2013 at 1:47PM
OnePlan
Also you need to have an extractor fan over the cooker - at a higher level too
- I could be a recirculating one if you can't duct straight out - some areas need an extractor elsewhere in the kitchen to comply with building code - best to check with your local offices
    Bookmark   October 29, 2013 at 1:56PM
Leslie
The kitchen was designed that way and the cabinets are really that low. There is about 10" of empty space between the cooker and the door. If we move it in the middle it interferes with the walkway from the other door.
    Bookmark   October 29, 2013 at 2:00PM
Leslie
Yep-there's a fan. The cabinets were designed that way. I'm not changing those cabinets or the ones over the sink. Too major and too much. It has been working for 64 years.
    Bookmark   October 29, 2013 at 2:02PM
OnePlan
These are the guidelines that should really be adhered to if this were a total new kitchen - as this is only an addition - I think you should double check with your local office to make sure that they are happy - as these guidelines are set for your health and safety .
1 Like    Bookmark   October 30, 2013 at 11:20AM
Tell us: What would you hide in your Secret Room?
More and more often, we see photos on Houzz of secret...
Bathroom update
update look keeping sink and bathtub
jpschiff
Burgundy Leather Sofa and Blue chairs
I am decorating my living room,currently have a burgundy...
dws8
Curb appeal help!
We bought this house last fall. We love the corner...
wickedwhite
Fireplace Redo
We are doing some updating in our living room. We tore...
drtl