Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
berea90

What to do with one wall in kitchen?

Leslie
10 years ago
Help! It's only 12" deep, but I think I can put a wall of 24" deep pullout drawers. My husband wants a more traditional look - lower cabinets and upper cabinets. It won't match the rest of the kitchen - which is getting painted and other stuff. Right now I have a tv armoire and I am using it as a pantry. But without drawers, I still have to get on the floor to get things out.

Comments (21)

• Leslie
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The island is movable and only 24x48.
  • PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    10 years ago
    Okay, so what do you think about the idea of a wall pantry?
  • Leslie
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I still need to put the microwave somewhere....here's the rest of the kitchen...before island and armoire.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    You definitely need to add storage to your kitchen, and additional counter space, too. So the new island and a wall of storage should help you greatly. The microwave could be built into the island.
    Killer Kitchens · More Info

Island · More Info
  • Leslie
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    What about a mix or a turn - we really don't use the space by the window.
  • Leslie
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I have a slab and we don't have electricity there. I thought about putting it in the bottom cabinet by the stove or even over the dishwasher.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    We need a kitchen designer to step in to advise you. I hope we can get one.
  • Judy M
    10 years ago
    Where will you purchase your new cabinets? Do they have a kitchen designer?
  • Leslie
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Only for the one wall - I was hoping IKEA. The rest of the cabinets are in really good shape-just outdated. I was going to paint them, get new countertops and new flooring. I really like the trafficmaster Allure wood look planks. And taking down the wallpaper.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Ikea has someone in their kitchen department who can advise you if you go armed with photos and dimensions. But I'm hoping we'll get a kitchen designer here to take a look at your photos.
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    10 years ago
    hi Leslie, Carolyn and Judy !!
    have been reading with interest !!
    So by the look of it that wall could easily take some of the 800 tall cabinets ( the shallow ones ) in the ikea range - and you can customise the interior so the top is all shelving and the bottom can be drawers ( yes, even in the shallow ones !) but if there's no electricity over on that side at all then the micro will need to be accommodated in the original kitchen ?! unless there's budget to get some electric in on the other side ? then maybe incorporate the L shape coming in front of the window - with maybe a deeper counter top so you can have stools in the bay window and have coffee or breakfast on the countertop ?!
    Leslie thanked OnePlan
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    10 years ago
    might be worth adding your ikea plan as well as the perspectives - so I can gauge the space better ?!
    Here, in Europe, Ikea are planning an overhaul of the kitchen ranges - and will be changing to new ranges very soon - they will still keep 'spares' stock of the old ranges - but if your intention was to do half now and the other half later -I would suggest you bite the bullet and do it all now -while they are promoting the old stock at lower prices - as you may not get a match if you wait ?!
    (sorry for typos - am on my phone - as it's only 06:42 here in UK !)
    Leslie thanked OnePlan
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    What does the wall with the armoire back up to? If it's not an exterior wall, you may be able to get electrical from there.

@OnePlan...thanks for joining the conversation here and giving us some good info on IKEA!
  • Leslie
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    There is electricity on each wall, just not in the middle of the room. That's why microwave now is on the butcher block. Will the shallow cabinets hold the microwave? Kitchen is 12'x 12' and that includes to the window. The space for the windows takes up 2'x9' and has a header. We've lived here 23 years. We don't use the bay window-the ceiling is too low. But it will make a nice herb garden!
  • Leslie
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Here's some more dimensions with a floor plan if the kitchen was empty.
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    10 years ago
    Leslie - from a safety point of view I'd strongly suggest you consider moving your cooker to central of that wall - as having it on the end of the run is quite dangerous ! Pot handles sticking out into the direct pathway of the door !!
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    10 years ago
    Also you need to have an extractor fan over the cooker - at a higher level too
    - I could be a recirculating one if you can't duct straight out - some areas need an extractor elsewhere in the kitchen to comply with building code - best to check with your local offices
  • Leslie
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The kitchen was designed that way and the cabinets are really that low. There is about 10" of empty space between the cooker and the door. If we move it in the middle it interferes with the walkway from the other door.
  • Leslie
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yep-there's a fan. The cabinets were designed that way. I'm not changing those cabinets or the ones over the sink. Too major and too much. It has been working for 64 years.
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    10 years ago
    These are the guidelines that should really be adhered to if this were a total new kitchen - as this is only an addition - I think you should double check with your local office to make sure that they are happy - as these guidelines are set for your health and safety .