Paint colors
amorie
My husband and I are looking to paint the main living room wall with the TV the same dark grey color of the walls that are in the kitchen and as well the arch the arch over the kitchen. The walls in our house are all a light grey and we have white sheer blinds with small velvet branch detailings. My husband wants to darken the room up a little bit or segregate the living from dining. what do you think? Do you think we should paint both or only the arch or only the tv wall or just leave it? Thank you for your help!
AHT Interiors
Hi Amorie. I don't see the "arch" you are referring to. Do you mean the straight soffet that drops down from the ceiling height and runs the length of the kitchen between the kitchen and living/dining area?
October 28, 2013 at 2:32PM   
amorie
yes, that is correct. I didnt know the terminology so thank you AHT Interiors. The dark grey color is Grey Tabby by ICI Paints
October 28, 2013 at 2:37PM   
dianahb
What a beautiful space, amorie, and what great colors. I could leave it just like that, but I could also see painting that back wall, and/or walls, where the dining table is, too- the same dark grey color-- or maybe a shade or two lighter? I don't know-- I love it just the way it is, but adding the darker color on the wall or walls where the table is might make it seem warmer?
October 28, 2013 at 3:16PM   
indianpatti
Beautiful space! Maybe add patterned drapes?
October 28, 2013 at 3:24PM     
amorie
Thank you all for the comments, I do like the idea of the patterned blinds as well. I went on photoshop and "painted" the walls to see what it would look like. One is just the TV wall and the other photo is both walls. what do you think now?
October 28, 2013 at 3:43PM     
dclostboy
A charcoal tone on tone stencil like this black one would certainly put an exclamation point on the room
October 28, 2013 at 3:50PM     
felixgrantham
You have great taste! Your house looks like a dream!

I think if you carry the gray to the TV wall, you should strongly consider painting the "living side of the soffit the gray color as well.
October 28, 2013 at 3:51PM     
CDR Design
Wow. What a beautiful space! The gray paint is giving the room the definintion it needs.
I definitely would paint both walls.

In addition, the wall supporting the soffet I would paint white. (It is now gray).
October 28, 2013 at 3:51PM     
amorie
YES!! I was looking for a wallpaper of some sort like this if we didnt like the wall color idea! Dclostboy do you where can I find this? I live in Canada. Thank you so much!
October 28, 2013 at 3:52PM   
Leslie Kreger
My personal vote would be to paint the tv wall the darker grey and the short return wall (between the living room wall and the kitchen) the white. But honestly, this is a such a beautiful space, that I am pretty sure you can't go wrong!!

Cheers~
October 28, 2013 at 3:53PM     
dianahb
Well, I meant paint the walls where the dining table is located.

I personally prefer the way you have it currently (which I think is as close to perfect as I can imagine, really). Of the two images here, though, I prefer the one with only the one wall painted (1st one). I think this probably offers a warmer feeling, but also somehow makes it all seem slightly less airy and spacious.

Again, though, try it at the other end-- where the table and chairs are. To me, that would emphasize more that it's the dining area (separate from living area).
October 28, 2013 at 3:54PM     
dclostboy
Amorie, this is actually a stencil. Go on etsy.com and search on OMGStencils. Lots to choose from. Attached is what I did in my bedroom...but thought you'd like the more dramatic one better :)
October 28, 2013 at 3:57PM     
janeinfo
I like the white. JMO......
October 28, 2013 at 5:02PM   
sange13
Very pretty. Looks to staged and not lived in. But very nice.
October 30, 2013 at 7:26PM     
m3459
Such a lovely space. I love the grey tabby color, but think maybe just paint the dining/living side of the ceiling soffit and the support walls on each end of the soffit to give just a touch more definition to the two different areas. Everything else seems to bring the space down and it is so airy as is. Love it....
October 30, 2013 at 8:24PM   
Maple medium color glazed kitchen cabinets in open floor paln
Remodeling one story 1959 ranch in Florida. Living...
New house, HUGE design challenge w/ front entry.
What do I put on this massive wall. I don't plan on...
Bachelor's First Condo HELP!!
Mid 20s young professional who just recently purchased...
Choosing paint color for year-round sunroom
Seeking suggestions for paint colors for a sunroom,...
Too cluttered?
I am at a stand still with this room. I don't know...