Need help with remodel

wksalterOctober 28, 2013
Hello all.

This is my first time using Houzz discussions for input on a big project. I'm overwhelmed with all of the pieces of our remodel puzzle. Please let me know if you have any suggestions on how to best approach this using the Houzz discussions forum, I was going to separate the discussion per room, but most of the rooms are open to each other. It seems like I'm typing too much info here, but I wasn't quite sure how to go about this.

We are updating the whole house except for the master bath and closet. The rooms include: great room (entry, formal dining, living, kitchen, kitchen/dining, hall), office, master bedroom, utility room, hall bathroom and second bedrooms.

I think everything we need to determine for now includes:
paint scheme (walls, trim, cabinets)
base/door moulding styles
window treatments
living room furniture layout
wood flooring layout
lighting updates

In many months from now we will need to pick counters, back splashes, sinks, faucets, cabinet hardware, etc.

We have some thoughts on the overall look we like, and would appreciate any ideas or suggestions in accomplishing it!

The look we are aiming for is fresh, airy, fun, cheerful, up to date but not stark contemporary, and at the same time very comfortable, welcoming and finished. I will take some pics tomorrow of some of the accessories I have and hope to use, though I do not want to limit our choices based around having to use these accessories. I like some Houzz pictures I've seen with all white rooms with pops of color. I like the idea of whites, even a white couch (slip covered for laundering, maybe in an outdoor fabric, we have a toddler), with club chairs upholstered in a fun maybe kinda funky bright fabric and coordinating pillows on the couch. But I also like wood and natural elements. I do hope to avoid the room feeling cold or unwelcoming with the whites, but I think this can be accomplished with the right choices.

In the master bed I was thinking of a gold and gray color palette with navy and fuschia accents. Our room is kind of small with limited layout options, so as I progress with things I'd also love some advice on furniture selection and placement in there to optimize our space.

Floors:
Here is a photo of the select or better white oak prefinished "kaffee" stained engineered wood floors that will be installed as soon as we get our plan all together. I threw a few planks together and laid them out to snap a pic. All of the turns in the hallways are confusing me since this is glue down engineered, and I don't want raised transition strips all over the place! The flooring installer said he thought he could do turns in the halls and the bedroom door transitions without raised transition strips. Does anyone have suggestions on making this look good with glue down engineered floors?

Hall bath and utility room floor tile:
I will post a pic tomorrow. It has both greys and warmer brown through it with a white and creamy base color, looking quite a bit
touchadream
My suggestion is to start with your most lived-in room or rooms. So if great room is open to kitchen, then those need to have a cohesive look and be seamless in style. Finding photos on Houzz of rooms that really speak to you is the best way to start. You can then post a pic of your room together with a picture or pictures of your favorite rooms showing elements you would like to combine in yours. Houzz community will be great at making those suggestions. Then I would move to your next decision. Another way to approach the community is with single questions about a problem you are facing, such as the turns in your flooring. Label it something like How to make hallway turns with hardwood? You will likely get great suggestions from flooring experts and homeowners too. BTW, I am installing bamboo for my new floors and I saw a great suggestion for the area near the front door. Someone put up a picture of it which I can't find now, but it was an insert of tile or slate, rectangular, so it looked like a rug at the front door, and was designed so that it would take some of the first dirt and wear tracked into the house and not damage the wood floors at the entry. I thought it was a cool idea. Good luck.
    Bookmark   October 29, 2013 at 12:02AM
wksalter
Yes Thank you, that is a good idea. I would like to delete this post, or edit it just to ask for input on turning the glue down wood flooring, since the floors are the first thing to do. I've been looking and looking and can't see how to delete or edit a discussion I started. Maybe this is because my computer is an iPad? Any tips on how to do this? Thanks!
    Bookmark   October 29, 2013 at 2:06PM
Need Help on remodeling a small barn into a living quarters.
So, I'm 19 years old and I live in an area where you...
kaylagirl9413
I need help to remodel a living room set
My mother in law gave us a complete living room set!!...
monicacordovaj
I need help with remodeling the exterior of my home any suggestions?
Considering replacing the siding and possibly facing...
pettinella
I need help renovating / remodeling my existing bi-level home.
The house was built in the mid 60's. The existing structure...
Tony Antonis
need help with remodel using my 2 design 'loves'
I am in love with shabby chic & tuscan. I want...
Judy Landers
what can we do with our front yard while being on a budget?
this home was built in 1943 and not much has changed...
traveler47
Help with furniture, paint and deco!
Would like to use as office. Currently chair is desk...
tagan67394
Ocean Front Construction: What Your Builder Should Know
Home building on the oceanfront and direct Intracoastal...
Robelen Hanna Homes - Luxury Homes & Remodeling
Help w/ wall color to go with slate floor & dark wood trim in sunroom
The walls are currently painted Benjamin Moore Sherwood...
lnmelon
Thoughts
Is this too big and red or blue curtains??
lttlebebop