My new drapes are too short! Help!
spring5
I saved money and hired a little old lady to sew my new family room custom drapes. They are 2-4 inches too short in my opinion. I didn't have the heart to tell her. What can I do to make them look longer? They are pinched pleat drapes hung on a wood rod with a hidden hook. What can I do?
Allison Burnfield McAteer
I would ask her to take out the bottom him as far out as you can take it and then move the rod down an inch or two. It looks like they are about 5 inches to short. It might get you close. If this is a business it doesn't matter that she is sweet and old.
October 29, 2013 at 8:19am     
Debp
You could move the rod down to the top of the first set of windows leaving the top arches exposed and then have them shortened.
October 29, 2013 at 8:40am        Thanked by spring5
Kim D
On the decorative window, I think the rod might need to rest in the space in between the two windows. In other words the rod is too high needs to be lowered to the wood frame around the first set of windows. This change will make the drapes too long.. She can re-hem these to the perfect length or they could puddle on the floor. The other window you could make those into just a topper or a valance with the wood blinds or if you do re-hem curtains once the rod is moved, she could sew the difference on the bottom for the other set of windows.
October 29, 2013 at 8:43am   
bubblyjock
You could also ask her to shorten them a bit, so they become "ballerina length," like a 40s ballgown, falls halfway between your knee and your elegantly turned ankle!

I often hem curtains at that sort of length, so the hems are 12' - 16" from the floor, because we have cats and dogs, who like to wreak havoc on low-hanging curtains from both ends, if you get my drift...

You can give it a go yourself, just to see how they look, by carefully using a stapler or scotch tape to hem them temporarily.
October 29, 2013 at 8:47am   
South East Installation Solutions, LLC
I think the rod is in the right place on the "large" window (right under the top arch). If anything on the smaller window it could go 4 or 5 inches higher - but not with the length you have now.

One option to lengthen the panels is to add-on a banding along the bottom. Maybe a solid color fabric that ties in to the other colors in the panels or maybe even something else in the room. That or find some sort of trim that can be added to the bottom and maybe the sides as a decorative element to give it the appearance of being longer.
October 29, 2013 at 8:48am        Thanked by spring5
spring5
I like the banding idea. Thanks so much!
October 29, 2013 at 9:06am   
halfpint2
lengthen I would suggest adding a decorative trim at the bottom of your drapes to lengthen them, perhaps a elegant fringe.
October 29, 2013 at 9:11am   
halfpint2
Whoops, sorry! Should read, I would suggest, etc.,
October 29, 2013 at 9:12am   
halfpint2
PS: Perhaps the same color as the tie-backs you have attached. I would take out the existing hem line and add the decorative fringe.
October 29, 2013 at 9:13am   
Help! My great-great grandparent's bed is too short for the mattress!
I was given my great-great grandparent's bed. It has...
Drapes too short
I bought 84" linen grommet drapes for my family room....
Drape dilemma... Too short!
So I didn't do my research on what the appropriate...
Need help with re designing my drapes for the new home
We just moved in this Saturday, our front "parlor"...
Are my curtains too short?
Should I lower the rod, Or are they okay the way they...
help needed for adding new kitchen cabinets
The first two photos show my [small] kitchen and dining...
Fireplace brickwork -- what to do?
I am wondering whether this fireplace is too oldfashioned...
Need help on the best method to secure two thick wood without joints
I am looking for advice on how to secure two pieces...
Should girls have less pink in their bedrooms/lives?
I am trying to decide whether to paint my young daughter's...
Living room/ family room
I'm having a problem trying to decide how to best design...