Help with new hall table - what to put above it and on it?
klblib
My wall is about 16 ft. long the table is 55" long x 14" deep. I would like to add lamps. What shape color and size should they be? One to two lamps? I was thinking of a mirror above. What size, color and shape should I consider? What else should go on the table? Any other ideas for the walls on either side of the table? The walls are BM Edgecomb Grey and floors are are dark hardwood.
kimberlyrkb
Is this in or near an entry? if so, I would do a mirror, a lamp or two, and find a way to add color, whether it is in the lamps or mirror frame or artwork? Maybe a colorful basket beneath the table? Also, I know you didn't ask about this, but for me, the tables spindly legs mimic the spindles of the staircase too much. I'd like to see a more substantial table there. Not necessarily larger if you don't have the space, but maybe something more chunky?
October 29, 2013 at 9:17am     
Lights Online
It's great that you have the table right by an electrical outlet! That makes it an ideal spot for lamps!

Since the table is thin, you may want to consider a buffet lamp since they tend to be more slender and taller than their table or accent lamp brethren. But when it comes to choosing the right size, make sure to not pick a lamp with a lampshade wider than your tabletop. Here's a little guide to sizing lamps: http://www.squidoo.com/choosing-the-right-size-for-light-fixtures

Also, here are some buffet lamps: http://www.lightsonline.com/buffet-lamps/
October 29, 2013 at 9:23am     
Personally I like asymmetrical design.

October 29, 2013 at 9:24am     
LeiLani
I think a nice colorful runner on the floor would warm up the space - also, maybe a chair or small bench on either side of the table - with the lamps and artwork/mirror mentioned by kimberlykb.
October 29, 2013 at 9:26am     
Kalli George Interiors
As long as you don't impede traffic flow (narrow hallway), that would look nice. It would also fill up the wall space a lot better.
October 29, 2013 at 10:05am     
artVIA l lifestyle design crossroads
Based on the images provided, I gauge that the scale and size of this console table is too small for the space and the wall space. It gets lost in the overall space. I would suggest to select something larger (longer not necessarily deeper) so you keep the traffic space unobstructed. If you want to use that console table, think about adding some interesting shelves on each side of it, or a narrow depth bookcase, or chairs that will fill out the empty spaces on each side of it. Many solutions are available, so explore the options...
October 29, 2013 at 10:13am     
Ann
I'd choose one lamp rather than two for that size table - like the Glenn Gisler photo. A mirror would be fine too. I'd choose a rectangular mirror hung vertically to the side of the single lamp or a vertical stack of two square mirrors. I also like the size of that lamp in the Glenn Gisler photo (not too small) and the shape of the lampshade so it won't exceed the width of your table. That lamp reminds me of one that was once suggested to me in a Houzz discussion (pictured below). It's from Homedecorators.com. The mirrors are all uttermost mirrors. If you go to the uttermost.com website, you find many mirror choices. If you find one that you like that is a good size, just google the name of it and you'll find tons of places that sell it.
October 29, 2013 at 10:42am   
the essentials inside
I do like Mark's idea of adding chairs next to the table since it is such a long wall. I agree w/Ann about Uttermost - UM is always a great choice.

Here are a couple more photos for inspiration:

Charmean Neithart Interiors, LLC.

Stairway Detail 2

Elegant Dining Room

~Lyvonne
October 29, 2013 at 11:31am     
Genevieve
This like working on a blank canvas :)
you can do many things with this wall , a large mirror ,a lamp or 2 even .
Abiona
Enrico Root Wood Small Urn
Loudon Large Bronze Mirror
October 29, 2013 at 11:41am     
klblib
Thank you for all of your wonderful ideas. I realize now that the photo makes the table look small, however the space actually requires a narrow, long table. The photo I took does not do the table justice. I love the idea of baskets below to hide the outlet and fill in the space. I could do a chair on the left but it would impede traffic if I also put on one the right. I need to figure out exactly where to place this table along the hall. Centre it, or put it more to the left, which is closer to the entranceway?
I do have a bench and large mirror in my entranceway. Does it matter if I also have another mirror in the hall?
October 31, 2013 at 4:39pm   
decoratinglady5
I really like what Dytecture posted..good ideas for you there.
October 31, 2013 at 4:46pm     
October 31, 2013 at 4:52pm     
klblib
Do any of these lamps work? Last one is about 25" tall.
October 31, 2013 at 5:37pm   
Marc Russell Interiors
Notice in the above pictures, the ottomans cover the cords. They also serve to soften up a cold space. Mirror only if your reflecting something nice, otherwise artwork. If the scale is off, I like the idea of 2 chairs, adds length. Good luck!
October 31, 2013 at 5:44pm     
A foyer introduces you, your personality and the adjoining rooms to guests, so make it say something nice about you. I would be tempted to go for the asymmetrical design and slide the table so the outlet is behind the leg on the end where the lamp will be. That way you can hide the cord on the leg with a bit of sticky and you can cut the cord to the exact length you need. Do you have room for a bench on the stairwell side of this area? I'd want to really furnish it - rug, art, table, bench, baskets, lamp - a complete visual experience. Gary + Gayle: Cincinnati, Ohio jamesthomas, LLC
October 31, 2013 at 6:07pm        Thanked by klblib
Looking for a medium color hardwood floor with little color variation
I don't want something too dark that shows every bit...
Kitchen island stools next to table
I am considering a kitchen remodel where a ~7 foot...
I need HELP decorating my tiny family room !!!!
Hi there! I need your help, your expert opinion on...
Decorating a stair landing
Would like something besides empty space on my stair...
A Rococo to go ~ Hold the Drama...
Bellesum suggested I start a new thread as a result...