Do you think this landscape design is pretty?

taskagencyOctober 29, 2013
Vancouver Landscape Company. This one - http://www.beaverlandscape.com offered us this kind on front yard design. I think it is awesome, but my whole family thinks it is too much... What do you think?
mcbriec
I like the general design concept but think the design could use some tweaking. It is a good design in creating drainage run off while proving a maintenance-free feature, but the white rocks look very harsh and unnatural to me. I would use more earth-toned rock (white looks cheesy) and would use boulders in the tree planter (probably three) with the maple placed at the back. It would also soften the river bed to use some grasses next to it and some hardy geraniums (assuming they can live in your climate). The large boulder appears to have been placed exactly in the middle of the creeek rather than off to one side. The bigger stones in the creek ore good, but should look embedded rather than just laying on the top of the other rocks.

As for the path to the front door, I would use much bigger single pieces of stone spaced close together so one is not trying to hopscotch one's way to the door. You can determine appropriate spacing very easily by raking the prepared bed and walking in it, being sure to place a single large stone in accordance with your footprint. You want to use very thick heavy stones for the walkway so they do not shift and stand well above any dirt. Otherwise everybody will be tracking in dirt and mud when they walks inside.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by taskagency    October 29, 2013 at 10:03AM
As your landscaping has just been completed you need to allow time for your ornamental grasses to grow.= or add more. The problem is that the visual weight of the river is too large for the surrounding plants. If you could add more height either side, I think it would balance out as the feather grass should spill onto the river, like willows on a stream...
4 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by taskagency    October 29, 2013 at 10:16AM
armygirl1987
I agree with ASV-give it time for everything to grow in. I like it.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by taskagency    October 29, 2013 at 11:04AM
I like it. Live with it for awhile. When it grows in will look different.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by taskagency    October 29, 2013 at 1:23PM
The dry stream is, IMO, too way too big (wide) and there is not enough of a slope to make it look authentic. I also do not like that it and the front walk are the same shape.

I would rather see the dry stream in more natural stone colors and not the same white as the walk. Just too much for me…looks like the designer is trying to hard.

Or see if the dry stream (smaller)can be incorporated with your front walk…like this

Maple Grove lakefront property · More Info

Start with the walkway first.
Rapson | Redux · More Info
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by taskagency    October 29, 2013 at 1:25PM
dstemple1956
I agree that the dry stream bed should have a more natural look and be a bit smaller since this looks like a small space. I might also consider removing the curved path around the tree and repeating more shrubs or smaller grasses in the now more open bed.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by taskagency    October 29, 2013 at 3:26PM
mcbriec
Upon looking again with everybody's comments in mind, I agree that the proportion of the stream looks too large right now. But if plants grow in at the edges, the proportion issues will be solved as recognized by others.
    Bookmark   October 29, 2013 at 7:38PM
dbmayfield
That looks like Some one ran out of ideas.
    Bookmark   Thanked by taskagency    October 29, 2013 at 7:50PM
jpp221
I think the dry stream isn't the problem. There just aren't enough plantings near it (even after allowing for maturation of what's there). The little stone walk is more distracting to me. Too cute, with no purpose--a shortcut between what and what (and no shorter than the "long cut". Yet it brings a third finish into the small space, which I find distracting. So I'd just do away with that, plant up some more, and you're set.

(And to those who say the stream rocks are too white--they won't stay that way for long, I don't think. They'll grey down/dirty up in a year or two.)
    Bookmark   Thanked by taskagency    October 29, 2013 at 8:00PM
I'm sorry that I haven't read all of the comments but this is my take. It looks really good with minor tweaking. (btw, we also have a dry creek in our front yard).
1. The reason the dry creek bed looks too wide is because the stone path is too small in comparison. The too small stones leads to a single, lonely chair. I'd remove that little stone path completely and add a plant and fill in with bark instead.
2. The dry creek bed does not look like a natural meandering creek because it curves up in a perfect half moon at the patio. I'd have the curve move downward in a non-uniform shape with the patio. Plus, I'd add a few mid size dark "boulders" thrown here and there in the bed.
3. Have the seating area two chairs/table at the patio sitting next to the creek side instead of the narrow walk to the lonely chair. That way, it looks more like "creek side dining or cocktail area".
4. Add some "sprigs" of plantings actually inside the rock creek bed so it appears the "moisture" of the old creek can still support little flowers.
It is actually very nice! Just few tweaks for me!
    Bookmark   Thanked by taskagency    October 29, 2013 at 8:18PM
I agree with everything that's been said.
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by taskagency    October 29, 2013 at 8:45PM
nwduck
Is this the design for your entry, or someone else's? (Seems like you are saying they have offered this as an example of a solution.) Being from the PNW, Japanese influenced designs are quite popular. The issue with this particular work example, to me, is that the "vanishing point" of the dry creek just dies into arborvitae. If it ended/started in a mossy boulder group, for example, with grasses/ferns around it, was reduced in size by about 1/3 and had more graceful asymmetrical curves, it would look better. The stone walkway serves no discernable purpose in this design. Plant material sizes at initial selection make a big difference. The grasses will grow into something in no time. The Japanese maple in this photograph will take decades to make the intended statement. Wise use of dollars on the relative ages/growth habits of initial plantings can go a long way in giving you a landscape to enjoy within a reasonable period of time. To be honest, if this is the example they gave to you of their best work for your situation, I would keep looking for a landscape company.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by taskagency    October 29, 2013 at 9:54PM
Norwood Architects
I agree with ASV
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by taskagency    November 6, 2013 at 5:36AM
Did you find your landscape designer through Houzz?
Did you find your landscape designer by first seeing...
Fred Albert
need suggestions for front landscape design
Just bought this lovely historic home, need ideas....
dianemcassidy
In need of landscaping and exterior design ideas
My vacation home in VA. is pretty lack-luster. The...
doliveri0
What do you think of my modern house landscaping design?
House is being built three months from now! Comments...
ManLand LandMan
Range Hood Design, What do you think?
This is Elica's LEGEND Island Range Hood Model A...
Elica Americas
Need someone to make me wood cornices
I want wood cornices on 4 living room windows. A window...
suzyk54
St. Augustine or Fescue in Plano, TX
Hello Experts, I have two trees in the front of my...
archandon
What to do with our walls- master bedroom
We need bedside lamps and to decorate our walls in...
rescuejill
Yet another kitchen backsplash post...
Thank you in advance for your your time and advice. I'm...
leanemil
Color wood floor!
The wood floor will flowed from hallway to kitchen,...
tranty