Need help with my window treatments.
maryjennings
October 29, 2013 in Before & After
We finally finished our kitchen remodel. New paint, Appliances, new wood floor, and new mantel and bookcase over the brick fireplace and grill!
maryjennings
Here is fabric I picked out for the window treatments. Also, here is a picture I like for their windows with balloon shades.
October 29, 2013 at 2:19pm   
maryjennings
This is what the kitchen looked like before we redid it.
October 29, 2013 at 2:23pm   
Brenda
you've done a great job. particularly love what you've done with the fireplace.

looks like you have already picked out your window treatment style and fabric ...
October 29, 2013 at 2:31pm      Thanked by maryjennings
maryjennings
I am not sure what to do with my floral chair in front of the fireplace.
October 29, 2013 at 2:34pm   
dkhuff1
Love the dog too!
October 29, 2013 at 2:35pm   
Bravehart Building
I like your clean, transitional look with a splash of colour on the walls. Given that you are in a kitchen where food can go 'who knows where' (if you have kids), I would do a blind in white that pulls up for full exposure or tilts to let light in - up and down.
This will allow your wall colour and fireplace feature to remain the focal point of the room.
October 29, 2013 at 2:41pm   
maryjennings
Good idea. I don't want to take away from my fireplace. I also think I need some red/coral to warm up the room.
October 29, 2013 at 2:44pm   
David & Goliath Builders--DG Remodeling
I like the floral chair. For window treatments - white blinds/inside mount. If you want a fabric treatment keep to a simple straight valance - white with thin vertical stripes picking up on the green and some of the other colors in the chair.
October 29, 2013 at 2:49pm      Thanked by maryjennings
Judy M
I remember this "before" kitchen. Looks great. Your fabric is very pretty but can i suggest a simpler roman shade instead of the balloon style? Love how the FP turned out.
October 29, 2013 at 2:52pm      Thanked by maryjennings
Judy M
Would you chair fit closer to the wall to the left of bookcase?
October 29, 2013 at 2:53pm   
maryjennings
Yes , Hi Judy! You helped me so much. We had the same kitchen - one wall. I loved the traditional clean look of your kitchen. If I move the chair back , it will be too close to the stools. I like your idea of Roman shade simpler and I don't want to take away from fireplace. We designed it ourselves. I USED WINDSOR STYLE, PEARL MANTELS AS A GUIDE AND I USED THE GOLDEN RATIO 1.6- FOR THE SIZE OF THE RAISED PANELING ABOVE THE MANTEL.
October 29, 2013 at 3:11pm     
Design Connection, Inc
I love the before and after. I do enjoy balloon shades and have one in my own bathroom, but think the roman style would work the best in your home. Good luck.
October 29, 2013 at 3:20pm      Thanked by maryjennings
Judy M
I see in another photo that the chair is larger than it looks in one photo.
If you do a fabric window treatment hang them high just under the crown molding.
will you get a new chandelier over table? That one looks a little small or hung too high maybe?
October 29, 2013 at 3:23pm      Thanked by maryjennings
Judy M
I would like to see the bookcase more organized ( books neater). Try lining one shelf completely with books and then a decor item on another shelf.
same with mantle, the candle sticks look lost against the white wall.
October 29, 2013 at 3:27pm        Thanked by maryjennings
suzancaf
I agree with Judy,
The kitchen is so elegant now, and the bookshelf still looks like it belongs in a teenagers bedroom!!(sorry). I like the idea of the white blinds, how about using the beautiful fabric for new seat cushions? And replacing the rug in front of the stove with one that has the same colors as the fabric you selected. You did a great job.
October 29, 2013 at 4:16pm   
terrimatern
Fabric Roman shades would be my choice, however, custom roman shades are expensive. If you don't need the privacy, you can do a faux roman, inside mount. You don't need as much material = less expensive. They won't operate, however. But that would get the look and it a soft romantic look. I am not a fan of the upholstered chair at the fireplace. From a design perspective it doesn't belong, but if it's a personal preference, it's your house you can do what you want. :) Colors can be deceiving on the computer, but I liked the fabric Maryjennings shows. I like the light ground with the large scale print. It looks fresh and lightens up the area which appears a little light deprived and dark. I would also do a flat roman. If you choose the faux roman, I would also do it on the window above the sink and not on what appears to be a door. Leave the door along. It would be too much.
October 29, 2013 at 4:54pm   
The Art of Room Design
love the fabric, I would do drapes because your windows are tall, they would frame them nicely and show off the pattern. Also, they would allow more light in the room. The shades you like are great as stationary treatments, not functional.
October 29, 2013 at 11:03pm      Thanked by maryjennings
maryjennings
Very interesting. The long drapes would look wonderful. Our children are all grown so this would look great!
I hadn't thought about it- just roman shades.

Thanks
October 30, 2013 at 8:45pm   
dstemple1956
I am a huge fan of floor length drapes because they make for a very elegant look. I recently redecorated my bedroom and used a faux roman fabric roller shade and love it.
November 8, 2013 at 5:57pm      Thanked by maryjennings
dstemple1956
I meant that I put the shade under the draperies for a layered look because it was in a bedroom.
November 8, 2013 at 5:58pm      Thanked by maryjennings
maryjennings
How would this fabric look with floor length drapes? I love our out doors and want to keep all the view!
November 8, 2013 at 6:47pm   
mschil9
Do you need window covers for privacy or shade? Love the way it looks now! Great job.
November 8, 2013 at 9:01pm   
maryjennings
We don't need them for privacy, maybe for shade every now and then. I do like the windows plain. I'm not sure.
November 9, 2013 at 11:40am   
dstemple1956
maryjennings - I think the colors are soft enough to allow for draperies even though the print is large. They need not be extremely full because they would only be framing the beautiful windows. If you move the fabric chair to another location, I think that the room could use some pattern and the fabric is lovely!
November 9, 2013 at 2:41pm      Thanked by maryjennings
The Art of Room Design
Agreed! You can do just stationary panels and you'll keep all the views while framing windows and adding some punch with the pattern.
November 9, 2013 at 3:48pm      Thanked by maryjennings
maryjennings
Thank you both!

Yes I will move the fabric chair to another place! I still think I need some red/coral to add some warmth. Here is a kitchen from the Univ. of Tn house on Cherokee Blvd. I love this house!
November 9, 2013 at 4:09pm   
dstemple1956
Would you consider hanging the draperies and then finding out where you might put touches of the colors you mentioned? I was wondering if you found a nice print or painting for over the fireplace that contained one of the nice colors from your fabric if that might be a good start.
November 9, 2013 at 4:30pm      Thanked by maryjennings
maryjennings
Great idea! I will look for painting and other accents that will give some red/warm tones! Thank you!
November 9, 2013 at 6:56pm   
Pros and Cons - Apartments vs. Houses
Have you lived in both an apartment and a house? What...
Lighting design
We are working on finishing our basement. We are all...
Need ideas on fugly house
Need desperately to redo the exterior of this house..it...
need cabinet ideas fora small kitchen
Need cabinet ideas to utlilize space for a small L...