Thread count, does it matter?
Jeannie Nguyen
October 29, 2013 in Other
Does the thread count on your bedsheets matter to you? What's your magical number and can you tell a difference?

Share your experiences and post photos too!

rosecafe
Jeannie, Mrs Rose works in bedding. Seems all we talk about lately is thread count! I thinks we're gettin' up grades and I'm being conditioned. I must say, as a pyjamaless person, I can certainly tell which sheets are which immediately I hit the bed. Those egyptians knew what they talkin' 'bout !
October 29, 2013 at 5:21PM     
rosecafe
Oh. No need to explain why I've not posted a photo : )
October 29, 2013 at 5:22PM     
Lazzell Design Works
I don't count thread. I count sheep!
October 29, 2013 at 5:30PM     
Brenda
I once "splurged" on 1000 thread count sheets and was disappointed when they ended up feeling like a heavy canvas. I did some research and found that "quality of cotton" is more important then thread count. I prefer Egyptian cotton or "Made in the USA" Pima cotton (and I HATE sateen sheets).
October 29, 2013 at 5:30PM     
dclostboy
Hand is more important than TC
October 29, 2013 at 5:32PM     
Katherine G.R.
I consider myself a pretty particular person when it comes to my bed, but I don't really tell that much a difference in higher thread count sheets. I think how you wash them is really important. I can tolerate 300 thread count, but I prefer 500, respect 700, and roll my eyes at 1000+.
October 29, 2013 at 6:17PM     
Barnhart Gallery
Agree with most that it's a factor, but not the only one.
October 29, 2013 at 7:14PM   
Sustainable Dwellings
I love the high count Egyptian linens... but if they ever "pill" they are in the trash.
October 30, 2013 at 3:40AM     
October 30, 2013 at 3:44AM   
sheryl N
egyptian and 300+ ;-)
October 30, 2013 at 7:04AM   
We bought some high (800) thread count sheets and they are driving me CRAZY because unlike my previous sheets (which are also all cotton, but a lower thread count) they wrinkle like crazy and I am much too lazy to bother with ironing sheets. So they feel extremely soft and luxurious to sleep on, but the wrinkled top edge as it folds over the duvet cover is a constant aesthetic annoyance to me.
October 30, 2013 at 7:11AM     
kimdee24
feeny -- the trick to higher count sheets is to dry them on medium or medium low rather than high.. they come out far less wrinkled! Sometimes, I'll iron them, but just the top quarter or so, because I'm a bit OCD like that.
October 30, 2013 at 7:14AM     
Thank you, kimdee! That's a great tip. They are in the washing machine as we speak, so I'll set the dryer on medium and give it a try. I kept thinking maybe I should be putting a clean tennis ball in with them or something to keep them fluffed in the dryer, but this would be much easier! Fingers crossed it works in our case.
October 30, 2013 at 7:16AM     
kimdee24
Hope it helps! Fluffing them mid-cycle is also helpful.
October 30, 2013 at 7:21AM     
Oh dear, that is way too much work for me! ;-) It's bad enough trying to remember to take them out of the dryer when the cycle finishes rather than leaving them there wrinkling. Our laundry room is in our unfinished basement, so it is easy to forget about it since I'm not on the same floor.
October 30, 2013 at 7:30AM     
kimdee24
LOL, well the lower heat should help, but do try and get them out as soon as they're done!
October 30, 2013 at 7:33AM     
Jeannie Nguyen
Such a good tip, @kimdee!
October 30, 2013 at 8:34AM     
Jody Markus
The quality of the Cotton is the key! Being educated on what you buy is up to you as a consumer. The best cotton in the world comes from Egypt. The cotton fibers are longer, stronger, more breathable, and hold color better and longer. Pima cotton is the second best cotton. It is grown in Arizona. Where the weather conditions are similar to Egypt. If you are looking for sheets, the quality of the cotton is much more important than thread count. Your better off buying 300-500 thread count in a better cotton than focusing mainly on thread count. Treat yourself! Spending a little extra for a set of sheets is worth every penny!! They will perform better, feel better, and last longer!
October 30, 2013 at 10:50AM        Thanked by Jeannie Nguyen
beerpocketbook
Does anyone have information about good so-called "wrinkle-free" sheets? My experience is that they feel wonderfully soft when you touch them with your hand, but itch like crazy when you try to sleep on them. It's a little like sleeping on fiberglass insulation until you aggressively & repeatedly wash them. This is in spite of higher thread counts and quality cotton. Has anyone else experienced this?
October 30, 2013 at 11:03AM   
I buy 800 count or higher. no you do not need winkle free.
October 30, 2013 at 11:05AM   
unwantedadvice
You are really better off with organic sheets, not that I have any. Wrinkle-free, etc. have chemicals to keep them from wrinkling. Read an article about this ages ago in some home magazine and it made sense to me.
October 30, 2013 at 11:52AM   
palmbay
Pure linen sheets are the Best .
November 8, 2013 at 2:00PM     
Sharon Roberts
I loathe ironing but hate wrinkles... As
Mentioned already take straight out once finished washing... Then hang on the line to dry...better for the environment too than using dryers.. Spose
It helps we
R
In oz...:-). Egyptian cotton 300 or higher for us...
November 17, 2013 at 3:45PM     
Crane & Canopy
There are several factors that determine the quality of bedding, including thread count, quality of the cotton as well as fabric construction.

Most experts, including a textile professor as well as a former head of Bloomingdales and Macys, agree that anything above 400 thread count for bedding is "creative counting." Read more here: http://www.craneandcanopy.com/pages/101-what-does-thread-count-mean
November 18, 2013 at 11:16AM     
Nicolette Wyk
BRENDA....I also HATE Sateen sheets. Its a hoax of massive proportion
December 9, 2013 at 5:31PM     
cebstill
The thread count is not as important as MERCERIZED cotton thread. If the thread is not mercerized it will pill and feel coarse. If the thread is mercerized it strengthens the thread, softens it and it WILL NOT PILL....
December 9, 2013 at 5:39PM     
lwaylett
I love my sheets cool, and crisp! Not rough, but soft crisp! So far the cotton percale has been my favorite... 300 tc or higher.. The sateen, satins... HOT! awful!
December 9, 2013 at 5:40PM     
mothanature
lwaylett....what do you buy....that's what I like....just have to have bigger fit (like 18")....really love JC Penney's easy care, but they are too small and don't fit my larger mattress....
December 9, 2013 at 6:01PM   
Kathryn Peltier Design
I have read the same studies as Crane and Company. Here is one that says that they can only get between 200 and 400 on the loom, so you are paying for "creative accounting" if you buy higher. http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/business/2013/06/everything-you-need-to-know-before-you-buy-sheets/
December 9, 2013 at 6:13PM     
Kathryn Peltier Design
I actually like the softness of sateen (not SATIN) sheets over percale, at least on the bottom sheet. I like to mix my sheets up, i.e. I don't always use sets, so it's possible to do that.
December 9, 2013 at 6:16PM   
Paula Kates
Length of the thread matters too. If the threads are short, it doesn't matter what the thread count is, the result will be scratchy sheets. The longer the thread the softer the feel, this goes for T-shirts to tissue paper. With thread length understood, I buy #350 - 400 TC and they are crisp, cool, soft perfection.
December 9, 2013 at 6:19PM   
Carol Sykes
I have 1000 thread count Egyptian cotton sheets and they are like a cloud when I take them out of the dryer. I love them. I also have 500 count sheets which are very nice and have a little sheen to them.
I would never buy less thread count than this.
December 9, 2013 at 6:24PM   
EcoSleep Australia
Thread count terms have become widely thrown out of proportion for many consumers and confusion then reins! Most good manufacturers will tell you a thread count around the 400-600 is perfect. In a Cotton, Egyptian cotton, Pima cotton or Bamboo. This will mean a light and soft bed set that will make you want to stay in bed longer. Look for sets that don't have the non iron tag as this will mean a chemical has been added to help iron our wrinkles.
Feel the sets and you will know what you like but beware of the chemicals added to make them feel soft!
December 9, 2013 at 7:03PM   
Ollie Perry
I LIKE BAMBOO COTTON
December 9, 2013 at 7:18PM     
Jayda DEyry
isn't bamboo rayon?
December 9, 2013 at 7:24PM   
Stamps Design Services
Everyone likes something different, I prefer a medium 500-600 tc and all cotton, not sateen.
December 9, 2013 at 8:03PM   
Austin Boudreaux
I bought 1200 thread count sheets one time. I did not care for them, they were hot and didnt breath. I like 500-600 Egyptian Cotton. They wrinkle but love how they stay white white forever.
December 9, 2013 at 8:51PM   
nccait
Agree that thread count is absolutely just hype...so many other factors including dye...our preference is crisp sheets (they are cooler to us). Right now 600 count Egyptian cotton (carried by Target no less) are our preference...but there is even a difference in the dye...the blue is "softer," the chocolate brown is much much crisper...and it doesn't change during the washing...we've had them for 2 years.
December 10, 2013 at 7:25AM     
Julia Starr
I don't buy anything less than 400 but other than that, I have to touch them. Some of the high thread counts haven't lasted very long and that is annoying.
December 10, 2013 at 12:23PM     
belynch
I live in Colorado and I use flannel sheets on the bed, fall, winter and spring!!!
December 10, 2013 at 1:38PM     
Kathryn Peltier Design
Flannel is the BEST!
December 10, 2013 at 4:33PM     
mlsilver620
I prefer to sleep on only linen now. The more you wash it, it becomes softer and softer. They last much longer than the other sheets. I love the feel of linen. They're a natural fiber.
December 10, 2013 at 8:51PM     
mlsilver620
I use white linen so it works well with my matelasse.
December 10, 2013 at 8:52PM   
mlsilver620
The other thing that plays a big role is what you use to launder your bed linens. It's best to use a good quality detergent like Le Blanc for your bedding. You will notice the difference immediately.
December 10, 2013 at 8:56PM     
lwaylett
Mothanature, I've had some success with the cotton percale at Bed, Bath, and Beyond. Have even found good ones at WalMart! I buy sets only. Haven't had a problem with the thicker mattresses fitting in them. Also after some research, I've just ordered a king size set from here: http://www.thomasleeltd.com/index.cfm. (Make sure you order the cotton percale and NOT the bamboo.) After reading this article, and their findings about Thomas Lee bedding, I have decided to give them a try. How can I go wrong with a review that says, "Finally, we have found our crisp, cool, sheets!" ? Good luck!
December 11, 2013 at 9:37AM     
beerpocketbook
I commented earlier on wrinkle-free Threshold "performance" sheets from Target. After weekly washings for the past two months, they had finally lost their itchy feel and become quite comfortable . . . Until tonight when my foot went right through the sheet where the fabric had apparently worn. These sheets are no more than two months old. They are 400 thread count. Obviously, there is more to consider in sheets than thread count.
December 11, 2013 at 5:49PM     
katstevenjacobs
600 thread count is what I like. Lower counts always pill and become very uncomfortable to me.
December 11, 2013 at 8:07PM   
chinook101
I purched new sheets not paying attention some time ago the tags faded out I have no
idea the Brand or thread count. They are quite soft but mostly they have a "Very crisp
feeling & feel cool & have a "Canvas feel had them for years & still like New I wanted to
try pick up another set but need an Idea where to start Name & Tread count any Ideas
would be great. “Thank You for your Help
February 19, 2014 at 4:04PM   
duffy2009
Does no one but me miss the 60%cotton 40% polyester sheets of many years ago? They came out of the dryer with nary a wrinkle or crease. I believe they were at least 300 count but that was before we became so conscious of thread count. I still have 2 pairs of double size - one extremely soft and another that is more on the crisp side. I wish they would offer these again as an option to those of us who like nice-feeling sheets that come out of the dryer bed-ready or folding-ready. I love 300+ cotton sheets but they look awful unironed & it seems a pity to put them on a bed that looks so disheveled when made up. If someone would just iron them for me...
April 29, 2014 at 10:19AM   
unwantedadvice
@duffy2009, I remember as a kid having to iron my pillowcases and maybe the top part of the flat sheet! Crazy thought to me now as I try my darnedest not to iron anything anymore. My SIL had a mix of polyester/cotton sheets that certainly felt soft but I find they do not breathe very well so I would always get hot. :)
April 29, 2014 at 12:14PM   
bumbles12
I only buy 1000 thread count and after sleeping in these sheet you wouldn't go back to a lower thread count...... It's heaven!
May 3, 2014 at 5:06AM   
bgfuqua
I hate polyester and all other synthetics in sheets and clothing - makes me sweat.
May 3, 2014 at 12:50PM   
Will these choices work????
Went to Ethan Allen shopping for new living room furniture...
Wall and Window HELP for Dining Room!
I am looking for suggestions on what I should put above...
Insulation on an Earth Home (underground)
I was the other day having a bit of a debate with my...
12 mm laminate wood flooring vs. engineered wood flooring.
In a duplex we put 12 mm laminate "faux" wood flooring,...
Need help to choose wall tiles and floor tiles! Help please
I have a white shaker kitchen with black and little...