What can I do with a white rock fireplace others Than knock it down?
cvalice
The fireplace is in my living room. I just added this beautiful brick color couch for color. But, the fireplace needs something. I was thinking about a silver steer head skull from restoration hardware. Does anybody have a better idea?
Katherine G.R.
my vote is add a rustic, low-profile mantel to give the fireplace a little more shape. I think it'd be something you could do pretty inexpensively and it'd also be nice to have a place to put your drink or something if you're standing in front of the fire.
http://redwoodburl.com/images2/IMG_1010.jpg
3 Likes   October 29, 2013 at 5:31PM
dclostboy
Rustic mantel with steer head above :)
3 Likes   October 29, 2013 at 5:36PM
1 Like   October 29, 2013 at 5:39PM
tamrenner
dclostboy nailed it!
1 Like   October 29, 2013 at 5:57PM
Someone's in the Kitchen, Inc.
Yup... Longhorn would have just the right proportion!
0 Likes   October 29, 2013 at 6:03PM
Or, a wonderful piece of art. I totally love the dog art on the reclaimed wood. It's big and beautiful and makes me smile every time I see it.

Great Rooms
Winter Stallion by Leftbank Art
You Make Me So Dog Gone Happy' Reclaimed Wood Wall Art - Extra Large
1 Like   October 29, 2013 at 6:14PM
But, I do like the silver faux antler idea IF the scale is right.
0 Likes   October 29, 2013 at 6:15PM
Anthony Concrete Design
You can modernize it by re-facing it with beautiful concrete tiles.
1 Like   October 29, 2013 at 6:41PM
jpp221
Steer head is cool but only if it's big. This fireplace demands big, unapologetic stuff. I would do a mantle, again, big and chunky. I want to say wood but I don't see it anywhere else in the room? If not wood, then some sort of distressed metal. But again, depends on the other finishes (whatever you pick will look weird if the mantle is the only thing in the room with that finish--it will look like an afterthought).
0 Likes   October 29, 2013 at 8:27PM
J Petempich
love all the ideas, anything but a flat screen TV
2 Likes   October 29, 2013 at 8:32PM
nwduck
It seems a statement art piece in color, the same width as the fireplace is all this needs. The rock then becomes just a simple textured background without adding more elements to the room.
0 Likes   October 29, 2013 at 8:40PM
HERE Design and Architecture
It has kind of a nice abstract quality - uniform color and texture, no mantel, etc. You might consider installing white floor to ceiling drapes at both sides. I think that the more abstracted textures on either side would give it a better context.
0 Likes   October 29, 2013 at 9:50PM
cvalice
Ok. Well, I finally made a purchase for this fireplace. It's the steer skull head. I couldn't stop thinking that it belonged there. hope you like it. It seemed to fit perfectly with the stone fireplace.
2 Likes   August 29, 2014 at 2:55PM
jeweljeans
I really think a chunky, distressed mantle would look amazing! it would really compliment your steer head with the rustic feel.
4 Likes   August 29, 2014 at 3:12PM
Angel18432
I like it and would add the mantle as suggested and move the pics up off the ledge.
Also I see you have changed the drapes. I would suggest a solid color from floor to ceiling on both sides.
1 Like   August 29, 2014 at 3:19PM
HAUTELINE DESIGN
MANTLE! will break up the space and be visually appealing!
1 Like   August 29, 2014 at 3:33PM
cvalice
Thank you for all your comments and expertise. I like the mantle idea. But, do you think the metallic steer head makes it look like the Wild West? Because that is not my motif. I thought it would add a contemporary look to the house, you know, a unique piece. Or is it out of place because I don't have any other pieces that tie it into the house?

Angel18432 - do you hate those drapes or do you think that the stripes don't look right next to the the chunky rock fireplace? I added the orange color to bring the color in the room onto the walls. I thought it was looking too plain. However, if I had added floor to ceiling draperies on both sides it would have been elegant. Unfortunately, I already spent a ton on window treatments. We have a view and wanted to be able to still see out ... and keep the house cool from the strong sun pouring in from the east..
0 Likes   August 31, 2014 at 8:04AM
HERE Design and Architecture
I like the skull. :)
0 Likes   August 31, 2014 at 8:20AM
Angel18432
Yes, it's the stripes I don't particularly like, but that's just my opinion, and if you like them - it's your home. Also, pictures can be deceiving and maybe they look better in real life.
0 Likes   August 31, 2014 at 8:27AM
nwduck
It seems to me that the head is a little disconnected. (Pun intended!) I know it's the pits, but could you move it lower, so that the top of the horns are visually a little closer to the line created by the curtain rod of the stripe drapes? Then, maybe find a steel colored pot/orange colored pot-vessel to put on the fireplace hearth? That might help tie things together a bit better.
0 Likes   August 31, 2014 at 10:14PM
bgfuqua
folks, that thing over a fireplace is spelled mantel.
0 Likes   August 31, 2014 at 10:21PM
cvalice
I give up. The husband said the skull looked like the devil. Too many mixed feelings. I returned it to Restoration Hardware. I guess I got that out of my system. Now I'm thinking a nice piece of art. Something large to hide most of the ugly fireplace.
0 Likes   September 1, 2014 at 8:43AM
grobby
Since you don't like the fireplace, see if it can be boxed in and finished with drywall and a nice mantel. You are trying so hard to disguise the FP, but it's there and can't be disguised.
Hire a good finish carpenter, it will be worth the money. I really like the idea of art over a fireplace, something that makes you happy each time you look at it. In my home, I try to practice feng shui, an Asian method for creating good energy that absolutely works for me. You can't gave good energy with something you truly dislike.
0 Likes   Thanked by cvalice    September 1, 2014 at 10:57AM
Kitchen (Massachusetts) Electrical code question
We recently had our kitchen completely gutted to the...
Stairway carpet
The carpet that goes up the stairway to the bedrooms...
Which way should coffee table drawer face?
Should coffee table drawer face the couch for convenience...
Updating curb appeal...adding cottage charm?
We are looking to add curb appeal and charm to our...
WHAT CAN BE DONE?
MY HOUSE NEEDS A FACE LIFT. IT'S SO UGLY!! HOW CAN...