Please help me furnish and decorate my guest room!
shayf23
Hi, we moved into our first house a month ago, and I don't know where to begin with the guest room. The only thing I did so far was paint it light gray with dark gray moldings. I need some sort of wall unit or shelving, a small table to serve as a desk, and night tables. And possibly new headboards if I can't paint the one I have now. I'm not sure what color furniture to get or what color curtains, pillows, etc. I was thinking black furniture but then what color would I do curtains etc? I want it to look classy but not too dark or drab. Thanks in advance for all your help!
shayf23
Additional pics
October 29, 2013 at 5:53PM   
shayf23
Genevieve, I love the room in the first photo! It's gorgeous, my master bedroom is purple and gray though (picture attached) do you think it's too repetitive?
October 29, 2013 at 6:23PM     
Genevieve
If you already have those colours then we must change route, the photo bellow shows gold to me is this the master bedroom? I will take a minute to think ,but if you like black furniture then go for it ,I like the head board .
October 29, 2013 at 6:29PM   
Alicia
I suggest first take down that blind. It's an eyesore on the focal wall. Add some molding to frame it and put in a pretty roman shade or seagrass. Move the bed to the left facing wall. A fabric headboard would warm it up. Maybe 50 to 60" high. Nightstands can be small chests painted with new hardware.A desk/ make up table on the small wall with floating book shelves. The paint is perfect but if you need more whimsy add wall decals or one wall of wallpaper. Have fun!
October 29, 2013 at 6:49PM     
Redo Your Room Online
Congrats on the new home! I would begin with adding curtains and hanging them a bit wider than your bed to give it a bit of balance. I would paint the doors the same color as your walls (it looks like a bit too much with one color for walls another for molding and another for the doors). I would buy light colored or mirrored side tables, place a small desk by the entrance and add some open shelves above the table. I would also add a ceiling light fixture and get rid of the ceiling fan. Just a bit to get you started on the right foot. Good luck!
October 29, 2013 at 7:00PM   
karemore55
Himshayf23, Congratulations on your new home! I'm guessing this guest bedroom is a basement bedroom? Well, I absolutely Genevieve's suggestions, but I'd like to throw in an entirely different color scheme for you to consider. Since it is a basement, I'm thinking maybe warmer colors would work really well. Also, a rug on the floor to keep the toes warm. So I did a collage of bedding, art, a lamp and furniture, all geared toward warming this room up. For the table, which is assume is for guests to put their suitcases on, I suggest a console/sofa table, which is usually only 16 - 18" deep, since the room doesn't look huge. Let me know if anything here interests you and I can give you the sources. The bedding for example is from West Elm.

Also, when you hang curtains, consider using a fairly wide rod - one that goes at least to the edges of the bed - and hang the curtains so that the outsides hang about even with the outside of the bed. The closet and bedroom doors look a little stark against the black trim. I'm thinking maybe paint them whatever color is one to two shades darker than the walls.

Hope you enjoy the collage - and good evening, Genevieve! (We're Canadian - we have to stick together lol!)
October 29, 2013 at 7:01PM   
shayf23
Thanks so much for all your input! Genevieve, I love the navy idea, I was thinking that all along but what color furniture goes- white? Bellerouge75, I need to keep the blinds there to keep out the light and noise because that room is facing the street, but the plan is to cover them with pretty curtains. I like that idea of turning the bed, will try it! Redo your room, unfortunately we hired a painter to paint the whole interior before moving in so I don't think I want to paint the door just yet.
I like the mirrored night tables idea! Where can I get for not expensive?
October 29, 2013 at 7:20PM   
shayf23
Karemore55, it's not a basement, it's a side room off the kitchen on ground level, we live in Miami so no basements for us unfortunately! I love that black console table, where is it from?
October 29, 2013 at 7:24PM   
Genevieve
Can you move the bed to another wall and keep the window free?
October 29, 2013 at 7:54PM     
shayf23
Here it is, what do you think?
October 29, 2013 at 8:03PM     
Genevieve
I like it better :)

raise the rod closer to the ceiling to give the window a taller look and extend it a bit if you can
October 29, 2013 at 8:10PM   
karemore55
Shayf23, The console table is from Pier One. The bed looks way better on the other wall!
October 29, 2013 at 8:25PM   
shayf23
I like it better like that too!! Ok will buy new rods and curtains, I like the idea of mirrored nightstands, I have 2 nightstands matching the headboard, do u think I can just mirror them myself? And I think with navy curtains and accessories I can't do black, maybe I should do ivory or white desk and shelves instead?
October 29, 2013 at 8:41PM   
A Crew of Two
Congrats! What fun making this home your own. Is all the trim in the home painted or is that stain? I would think of going with all white trim. Then behind the bed, hang the curtains high and wide to make the bed the focal point. If you are crafty you could wrap your existing headboard in fabric. I love pendant lights instead of table lamps for over the nightstands. A bench at the end of the bed.
October 29, 2013 at 8:58PM        Thanked by shayf23
nwduck
If your guest room will be used frequently, as is ours, I found that a pretty foldout luggage rack, a small bookcase with a variety of titles, a handy charging station, a water carafe with glasses and a tidy place to hang or stack extra bedcoverings/pillows have been invaluable to our visitors.
October 29, 2013 at 9:20PM        Thanked by shayf23
Angelina Vick
A few art ideas for the room. =)

Do you live close to any major US cities?
I have a whole series of cities, which I think the BW would look nice with your room.
This is a list of all the cities. http://angelina-vick.artistwebsites.com/featured/usa-skylines-4-angelina-vick.html
This is a view of one of the cities. http://angelina-vick.artistwebsites.com/featured/boston-ma-4-angelina-vick.html

I also thought this piece would look nice...bring some organic shapes into the room. http://angelina-vick.artistwebsites.com/featured/the-dill-3-version-3-angelina-vick.html
October 29, 2013 at 9:26PM   
shayf23
nwduck, I'd love to see a picture of your guest room, it sounds so welcoming! A Crew of 2, we moved the bed to the left wall not against the window, what do you think?
October 30, 2013 at 8:09AM     
fergi701
The bed looks so much better on the wall "without" the window. That was a great suggestion!
October 30, 2013 at 11:37AM     
Alicia
There are obviously a lot of talented people in this thread. I think everyone has wonderful suggestions its just taking them the ones that feel right an implementing them. Hopefully we can see an "after" picture.
October 30, 2013 at 11:55AM     
shayf23
Of course I will post the after picture! Went to a few stores today, but no luck yet with shades or nightstands!
October 30, 2013 at 2:19PM   
Sustainable Dwellings
Well, ya know... the survey said Gold tone rooms get more love....Blue rooms are more restful... The room looks dowdy right now.. throw some color and a nice rug, beautiful lighting, The bed needs an ensemble that welcomes you and makes you feel like a queen.
October 30, 2013 at 2:27PM   
kimedge
hi, you are so lucky to have a spare room in the living area! My taste would probably go a little different so here goes. I'd try to use the natural light to brighten the room. Cover the headboard in 1inch thick foam and white cotton fabric stretched tight.. picture attached. Give the window a strong look, even though it's a small window it can give oodles of light with privacy, so a blind plus curtains would help. I'd look for old furniture and paint it in dark grey with cream or white tops, and cream or white handles/knobs. Add white/cream/black cushions to match your linen, but add colour-matched bows as in this picture, to match whatever art you decide for the walls. Voila!
October 30, 2013 at 2:52PM   
anne dee
you could add colourful curtains and pillows to accent white furniture which would be in keeping with the Florida vibe :-) plus these colours accent grey quite nicely

October 30, 2013 at 3:09PM   
shayf23
Kimedge, I wish I were crafty like that! How would I attach the foam and the fabric to the headboard-with glue? And can I paint Formica furniture? anne dee, yes I think I will do white furniture, I just hope it doesn't get too dirty!
October 30, 2013 at 4:08PM   
Solar-screen-shades.com
How about the new Vision Shades, you can see them at http://solarscreenshade.com
October 30, 2013 at 4:54PM   
nwduck
shayf23: White nightstands don't show the dust right away...bonus! If you found some with black hardware, that would help tie into your bedding. Silver lamps with black shades on the nightstands. When you get lamps leave the tags on and lay down on the bed to see if you can easily reach the switch. And new sheets. I actually would go looking for a very graphic pattern that incorporates white/cream/gray/and a color. A soft gray/blue with this would be pretty, or coral, or lime. A larger/longer pillow length seems like it would be a better fit on the bed. Prop them up, and no one will notice a tan headboard. You might look for a large canvas landscape print to go over the bed for something organic.....I was thinking you could find one of Florida marshes that has your room colors in it. (I never put framed/glassed prints over beds since we had a rare earthquake one year! BOINK!) Not that you need to worry about that. :)
October 30, 2013 at 7:05PM   
anne dee
here's another look at the bedroom from another angle
the grey shows a bit darker but I think you get the idea!

October 30, 2013 at 8:16PM        Thanked by shayf23
shayf23
anne dee, these two photos were in my ideabook! We're thinking along the same lines... Modern Guest Room, Michelle's Master Bedroom.
October 31, 2013 at 6:16AM     
shayf23
Genevieve, where can I get those nightstands you posted at the beginning of the thread?
October 31, 2013 at 6:35AM   
shayf23
Hello everyone! So I ordered mirrored nightstands, a small mirrored desk, and glass shelves. I decided to do navy and mustard for my accent colors, and found curtains that I love! Attached are two different linen sets I'm looking at, which will match the curtains better? I like the first set better but not sure if it's too busy. Thanks in advance!
November 5, 2013 at 5:19PM   
shayf23
Better pic of curtains
November 5, 2013 at 5:28PM   
A Crew of Two
The plaid is a better choice. The other is too close to what the curtains are and they will fight each other. But I'm not sure the plaid will go with mirrored nightstands. What about white bedding with all your accents? Decorative Flower Pillows, Mustard Yellow by Bed Buggs Master Bedroom
November 5, 2013 at 5:45PM     
nwduck
What if you got the first set you like, and use the stripe pattern out on the duvet, the stripe accent pillows, with white/cream tailored box skirt and Euro shams? I think that would be simple enough, yet still interesting. Those decorative flower pillows are wonderful, A Crew of Two! They'd make a great accent.
November 5, 2013 at 6:06PM   
shayf23
A crew of two, that looks amazing, maybe I will do white! Where can I get those pillows in the second pic, they're too cute!! Now that I look more closely, the fitted sheet in the second linen set has gray in it so maybe it'll blend well. And if I do the second linen mustard bed skirt or gray? Or navy!?
November 5, 2013 at 6:25PM   
bryght.com
Take a look at the bedroom furnishings from Bryght http://www.bryght.com/browse/13/bedroom

Here are a few of my favorite beds, all have coordinating pieces or you can come up with your own pairings

1. Ceni bed
2. Felton bed in the Cocoa finish
3. Robbin bed
4. Strip bed
November 5, 2013 at 6:57PM   
Venetian Wall Design
I recommend white and grey for your wall design since the room is small and a bit dark, here's the idea Also Check http://www.venetianwalldesign.com
November 13, 2013 at 1:46PM   
Venetian Wall Design
...
November 13, 2013 at 1:47PM   
shayf23
Hi! I know it's been forever, but wanted to share my finished product with ya'll! Finished just in time, my in laws are coming on Tuesday for the holiday!!
November 24, 2013 at 6:47AM   
shayf23
More pics...
November 24, 2013 at 6:48AM   
kristylou
Can I suggest you lower the pic over the bed? Maybe some table lamps with a navy or yellow ribbon stripe to match bedding?
November 24, 2013 at 7:43AM        Thanked by shayf23
please help me choose a paint color for my guest room....
Just bought a home, the former owner seemed to like...
Please help me finish my guest room/home office
I have painted old file cabinets and desk in a creamy...
Need help furnishing and decorating my family room area
I have a rectangular living room, with a built-in entertainment...
Need some help & inspiration to furnish/decorate my family room
This room is what sold me on the house but I am having...
My living room is a challenge to furnish and decorate! I need help!
I've started to furnish and decorate my living room,...
Need help with cedar wrap on support beams
My contractor talked me out of solid cedar and recommended...
Front loader washer and dryers or top loading?
I need new ones and want to know which is better?
Complete Master Bedroom / Bath Makeover
We will be redecorating our Master Bedroom and Bath...
Bedroom needs color etc!
This is our new master bedroom....first, the armoire...
Need help with picking cabinet doors.
I am redoing a family room built in bookshelves. All...