Kitchen separation?
snowflake56
The black dots on the floor plan of my open spaced condo are cement posts. I may miss a separate area for my kitchen. I have been thinking about putting glass block on either side of the posts by the kitchen to create the illusion of a separate space but leaving the island exposed. Would love some feedback?
October 30, 2013 at 4:58AM     
This is a contemporary layout and I wouldn't enclose the kitchen from the rest of the open areas for resale purposes.
October 30, 2013 at 5:24AM   
Innova Cabinetry, Inc.
You could clad the posts in wood millwork to make them more decorative. That would add a little separation and help incorporate them into the adjacent cabinetry.
November 6, 2013 at 9:32AM   
Cucine Ricci
I would agree with Dytecture. If you start treating the posts, you have to follow through with the posts in the living room and bedrooms as well. Consider moving the island a little towards the living room (making sure that access through the sliders are not restricted) From the plan (difficult to really tell) is seems as if you have about 36" of space between counters - would not do that to my worst enemy!. Anything less than 48" between counters ensures that the kitchen becomes a 1-person kitchen. For a small kitchen like this, 48" is fine, for larger kitchens 54" distance between counters is optimum, more than 60" becomes a travel. Embrace the concrete columns!!
November 6, 2013 at 12:55PM   
snowflake56
Thank you - great info
November 6, 2013 at 1:04PM   
Angelo Design
I agree with Carolins comment. Connecting the island to the posts will draw the eye upward and allow some visual separation without closing the kitchen in.
November 6, 2013 at 1:13PM   
Quality Crafted Homes
Hey snowflake! I would recommend a visual separation of the spaces if you are wanting to give each its own entity. I have attached a picture of what I have in mind specifically. It would be fairly simple to place painted 1x8 on the ceiling. You could dress it up further with cove molding, depending on the style you are going for. You could then encase the columns with an inset panel style, which would be simple enough for a DIY project. I attached a picture of a inset panel column as well to give you a better idea of what the finished piece would look like. This is from one of our projects and features a stone base, but you still get the idea. Hope this helps!
November 6, 2013 at 1:32PM   
How to hang artwork???
We have two matching pieces of art but would appreciate...
New sofa
I planning on re doing my living. I thought that I...
Please help me pick a exterior color for my log cabin!
I've had it for a year and I still have to figure out...
Close to pulling all my hair out. HELP PLEASE!
I'm not sure which countertop to go with between two...
"PRO" PAINTER WOES
Fellow houzzers, please give me examples of common...