Tub and shower or shower only in unique small bathroom of the house?
D Ram
Hi everyone!
We are remodelling our bathroom. It is a small 40 square foot room with now a tub and shower head. To give it a sense of openness, we wanted to install a glass panel shower only, no curbed shower. Since it is the only bathroom of the house, is it a wise idea? Should we keep a bath in there? We do have 4 kids and all of them could stop using the tub. I'm just wondering about resell.... Would people prefer bath or shower?
Karen Dorris, interior Designs
A few questions to ask yourself.......is your home desirable to families with small kids or more fit with a retirement market? Would you buy this house if you had wee ones and it had no tub? Is there a possibility of adding a second washroom elsewhere?

I lean towards a tub with a glass shower door for openness - Home Depot offers Maax - Halo at a great price.

If you do a curbless shower you will probably love it however you limit some options a tub gives you and you limit your resale market.
1 Like   Thanked by D Ram    October 30, 2013 at 7:58AM
HERE Design and Architecture
If you have daughters, you may find that they will want a tub as they get older.
1 Like   October 30, 2013 at 8:08AM
A house MUST have at least one proper bathtub. It's only optional if there is a master ensuite or an additional bathroom in the basement.
0 Likes   Thanked by D Ram    October 30, 2013 at 8:10AM
belleandlucy
good question, I have the same issue, small 735 sq home 2 bdroom and 1 bath (very tiny) for resale I have decided to keep the old cast iron tub, I am taking the old 5 piece surround out and have someone place subway tile in and to the top of ceiling around the tub. I also found online a shower curtain track system that attaches to the ceiling. It doesn't need to be attached to suds. But you need a longer shower curtain 86 in length that is fine with me it will give the bathroom a spacious feel.
0 Likes   October 30, 2013 at 8:18AM
D Ram
I do have 3 girls and 1 boy in the house and we are situated near an elementary school which made me think I should keep a bath tub unless we do add a bathroom in the basement... Would it be funny to put the tub in the basement bathroom since it would be a bigger space? Would it be convenient to bring the kids downstairs to take a bath while their bedrooms are on the main level? I guess I should use the bath tub with a glass door... Thanks for your comments!
0 Likes   October 30, 2013 at 9:43AM
brickln
Main bath should have the tub. It can't be that cumbersome for children to use?
Good lighting and a glass door do a lot to make a small bath appear more spacious. Switch to a clear curtain for now just to see the difference.
The kids won't mind the basement- they'll love those warm towels and pajamas fresh from the dryer!
0 Likes   October 30, 2013 at 5:50PM
dclostboy
Tub definitely.
0 Likes   October 30, 2013 at 5:54PM
claw foot tub and small shower or shower only in 1910 house
I'm about to redo my 9 x 11 bathroom in a century old...
ewarden
dianec303
remodeling a 10'x5' bathroom replacing tub with shower only
planning on using dolomiti bianco tiles looking for...
bathroomtiles2
Need help with yellowing of my linen wrap coffee table
Please tell me how you paint over a yellowed linen...
jf121
Ideas for attractive DIY hearth extension?
Greetings. I recently purchased a home with a wood...
ktrueny
Sauce Eggplant Chandelier Challenge.
I have made a deal with the devil. Well, not the devil...
toatsmcgoats
What should I do with this faux fireplace?
We moved into a brand new home and our decorator designed...
paradox44
repairing wood table
Our puppy got a little hungry while we were away. Does...
Dana Ratliff