Can't figure out arrangement in awkward living room
Stephanie
I need help regarding furniture placement for my awkward living room.

The floorplan is very open concept with the living and dining room being one large space. However, the living room's placement of the front door and garage door entrance, as well as the fireplace, make it very difficult to find a suitable arrangement for my two sofas (3-seater and a 2-seater).

I have a flat screen TV and am open to mounting it above the fireplace or along another wall, but can't find a way to arrange these 2 couches and TV in a way that doesn't create a crick in someone's neck by watching the TV from the couch.

Living Room Dimensions
13'2" wide
11'11" long

Dining Room Dimensions
13'2" wide
10'8" long

*Furniture in pictures is not mine. These are images from the previous owner.*
taniahk
Hi, am no design expert and we could have very different tastes in decor but there were a few things that stood out for me and you may want to try?
1) definitely not putting the two armchairs together - the mismatch is more obvious.
2) since the fireplace seems to be the focal point in this space, I wouldnt want to put the cabinetry right opposite that...and try perhaps diagonally spacing it at the corner left off the fireplace?
3) did you try placing the sofa within a cosy distance from the fireplace, facing it too? I wouldn't stick the sofa backed up on the wall.
4) perhaps try positioning either of the armchairs on either side of the fireplace...
5) add a coffee table in the center of all the seatings..
6) add an area rug to accentuate the seating space..

I am more of a visual person and work well just applying ideas thru trial and error. Let me know if any of the above works or any other ideas spark out thru the adjusting..
1 Like   October 30, 2013 at 7:32AM
taniahk

I love this idea of centre piece between the sofa
0 Likes   October 30, 2013 at 7:38AM
soberg
It will always be difficult to arrange a 3-seater and a 2-seater in any space and create a comfortable conversation area. Much easier to use a 3-seater couch and a pair of armchairs (matching strongly preferred).
0 Likes   October 30, 2013 at 7:50AM
tbenish
I love your color choice of neutrals. How about moving the breakfront to the wall your larger sofa is on. Move the wood arm chair to the left of the fireplace. move the the larger sofa to the right of the FP so it now faces the breakfront as a room divider then butt the sectional piece up to the sofa so it faces the FP. Add an ottoman to the center of couch seating and the room will be cozy and welcoming.
1 Like   October 30, 2013 at 7:52AM
Inspired Interiors
Hello Stephanie,

I think you might not be able to use both sofa and love seat in this room. Try arranging the 3 seat sofa parallel to the fireplace and you might also fit a single chair on the upper left side of the living room (left side if you are facing fireplace).
1 Like   October 30, 2013 at 8:00AM
Help needed to rev up the room
I posted earlier, but here are more pics to give a...
english cottage
bottom line-I want to live in an english cottage. And...
Need help with paint
Is ther a leading paint brand? I am reprinting my...
Which color do I choose, left or right side gray? Help please
Please help me choose which color on main wall. Both...
Regrets when building a new house?
We are about to build a 2300 square foot 2 floor plus...