Upper cabinet height in kitchen redo
conandjonwilton
I would like to have 39" upper cabinets in my farmhouse kitchen redo. Contractor says I only have room for 36" height. He is planning a 4"covered soffit. I would like him to hang the cabinets flush with the ceiling, and then install a 4" wide shelf near the top of the backsplash--shelf to be used for short daily items like salt/pepper, etc. Anybody have thoughts on this?
4" is too short for anything useful to be stored.
0 Likes   Thanked by conandjonwilton    October 30, 2013 at 9:38AM
Judy M
Here is similar to your idea

0 Likes   October 30, 2013 at 9:39AM
0 Likes   October 30, 2013 at 9:39AM
0 Likes   October 30, 2013 at 9:40AM
Judy M
I'm not crazy about the look, seems to clutter the kitchen, but it's your house.
0 Likes   October 30, 2013 at 9:41AM
conandjonwilton
Just to clarify--I'm talking about a 4" wide shelf, installed several inches below the uppers. Thank you for the photos, Judy M. They are exactly what I was thinking of. I'm not crazy about the clutter, but the shelves would be handy for a few frequently accessed items.
0 Likes   October 30, 2013 at 9:46AM
A Kitchen That Works LLC
Will there be any crown molding or light valance to conceal the under cabinet lights?
0 Likes   October 30, 2013 at 9:47AM
A Kitchen That Works LLC
The shelf concept, as illustrated above does two things: 1) impedes the ability to have a coffee machine, stand mixer, blender, etc sit back on the counter and the illustration of the shelf over the cooktop appears to be a fire hazard as the material looks like painted wood. However, you could achieve this with tile or stainless steel.
0 Likes   October 30, 2013 at 9:50AM
Judy M
If you are installing a tile backsplash, the shelf can be made of granite, marble and installed similar to shower corner shelves.
0 Likes   October 30, 2013 at 11:48AM
JandB Kitchen Designs
Hi,
A quick note about our experience: Brigitte and I consistently design between 70-90 kitchens/year (for over 34 years) and have designed thousands of kitchens.....We also design full structural including below-grade foundation plans.....We have 2 Chicagoland locations and a Michigan location which cover the Wisconsin to Indiana borders, N.W. Indiana and S.W. Michigan.....Anyway, really need to address the wall cabinet area.....There are some standard "rules-of-thumb" that you need to keep in mind.....There should be 18" (ideally) between the counter tops and the bottom of the wall cabs even though you can fudge this an inch either way.....Assuming you have an 8'ceiling, are going to use crown (approx. 3") the 39" cabinet is the one to use.....If you're not using crown, then go to 42" cabs. to the ceiling.....Don't know why he has to put in the 4" soffit.....Are there mechanicals there that he can't relocate?.....The attached pic shows what we had to do in that very same situation.....The effect actually came out quite well in that area but, as you can see, we went flush with the ceiling on the rest of the run.....Hope this helps a bit.....John & Brigitte
0 Likes   October 30, 2013 at 3:52PM
conandjonwilton
Thanks, JandB. Your solution looks good in the picture. Unfortunately, we don't have 8' ceilings. It's an old farmhouse, and in the kitchen the ceiling is 93" so I guess that's why we've got to use the 36" cabinets.
0 Likes   October 30, 2013 at 3:58PM
JandB Kitchen Designs
Yep.....That's exactly the reason.....That 3" has to come from somewhere, and in this case it's the cabinetry.....Would still ck. for sure if that soffit has to be there.....Again, in either case, be sure to keep 17"-19" between tops and bottom of wall cabs.....John & Brigitte
0 Likes   October 30, 2013 at 4:02PM
Our new sunroom.
Walls are a light gray with blue tint. Chairs are...
How could I arrange my living/tv room for max use?
I bought my small 1940's house a few years ago, and...
Need help with countertop and backsplash mismatch
We just finish a kitchen remodel. I had chosen my...
Need my master bathroom re-designed
I am having trouble putting together a master bathroom...