Exercise Equipment - Where does it go?
Do you have exercise equipment at home? If so, do you have a room devoted to exercise, or are you integrating it into the house somehow? Show us what works for you!

Share your experience here! (Photos encouraged)

I confess, I had an exercise bike in my family room that I just relegated to the detached garage, hoping to make THAT the designated area for gear. (Already have a bunch of things out there too, but thinking adding a TV would make it more fun to work out there.)
October 30, 2013 at 1:11pm   
Kari D
I need lots of space when I exercise. I have an elliptical, weight bench, kettle and dumbbells, yoga mats and a lovely stack of workout DVDs. So I prefer to have a space devoted just to exercise. Fortunately, I have a large heated barn with good air circulation, electricity and plumbing (more like a glorified garage). So that's where I exercise. Much closer than the gym. Plus, I set my toddler up with toys, a place to color, and all that good stuff so she's occupied with activities and still under supervision.
October 30, 2013 at 1:25pm      Thanked by Emily Hurley
Sustainable Dwellings
If you are really buff, and use it, you should have a great room to house it with a steam room, a hot tub, and a cold plunge pool. lol.
October 30, 2013 at 2:41pm      Thanked by Emily Hurley
Kari, I'd love to see pics of your barn. That sounds awesome!
October 30, 2013 at 3:41pm     
Kari D
Emily- I'm moving things around in there to make room for all the outdoor things that need to be stored for the winter (we've already had snow this season). I'll keep it in mind though and post one once it's picture ready. Just the motivation I need to get it done.
October 31, 2013 at 4:41pm      Thanked by Emily Hurley
orangecamera
Where does exercise equipment go? My first thought: Craigslist. ;)
October 31, 2013 at 5:00pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
Kari D
Okay Emily, it's more function than fashion and probably not as cool as you were thinking since it's not a traditional "barn." However, it has heated floors, electricity and running water which is a nice luxury in an outbuilding. These pics represent about 15% of the barn but I'm still sorting and organizing storage and am too embarrassed to post pics showing the rest of it. The elliptical has been replaced by a treadmill that has not yet arrived so that's why it is not pictured.
November 4, 2013 at 2:51pm        Thanked by Emily Hurley
You can not imagine how unspeakably jealous I am of all that space.
November 4, 2013 at 2:54pm   
Kari D
I'm certainly grateful for it :)
November 4, 2013 at 3:23pm   
Lazzell Design Works
We have a room in the finished part of the basement for work out equipment. 5 years ago I accumulated some nice stuff, all from Craig's list of coarse. Pennies on the dollar, in brand new condition from well intentioned work out wanna be's. We certainly get our monies worth out of it.
November 4, 2013 at 3:24pm   
That's a great idea actually. When you consider how much exercise equipment is bought and then not used for more than a couple months, it makes perfect sense to go to craigs list if you are in need of some rather than pay full retail.
November 6, 2013 at 2:10pm     
littlehoneybee
We have ours in our finished basement. It's behind a half-wall separated from the family room area. We love it. We can watch TV while on the treadmill or bike, but it's out of sight pretty much when we're in the sitting area.
November 6, 2013 at 3:44pm      Thanked by Emily Hurley
hdyer
We have a space attached to our detached garage that is a dedicated gym (about the size of a single car garage). The photo doesn't show the space well but is kinda cute.
If anyone in your home enjoys power lifting, it sure is nice to have the space separate from the house - those dropping weights are noisy!
November 6, 2013 at 4:33pm   
Help! What to do with empty spots!!
At the advice of you sweet Houzzers, I ditched my tall...
Are you Houzzing in the UK? Come and say hi!
I thought it would be nice to get to know you better...
Make something out of nothing
We're purchasing a gone from a builder that won't allow...
Round Foyer--Please Help! :)
The foyer in our home-to-be is round. The flooring,...
Exterior paint project
Would love to hear thoughts from the Houzz Community....