Need help to design a mud room
zsdollhaus
Hello, I would like help with some ideas on how to build a new entrance on my home. Presently you walk right into the living space and we have no closets to store any outdoor items. I would like to add a mud room / enclosed porch. I like the idea of adding more depth the very flat and tall house. I like modern country design to add to the barn shape of this house,plus we have an urban homesteading vibe going on with our yard,it's an acre lot up,against a mountain. We do have awesome views of the Columbia River and mountains. This house needs a makeover,I'd also like to add an addition out the back for a living room master bedroom.
Gayle Arebalo
Not knowing your budget....here is my suggestion. Using the footprint of the porch, simply enclose your porch. I've attached a photo as an example. If you have the space, need and money; keep the powder room. If not, make the bathroom a closet. Since this is the front of your house, I would call your new space an entry way or vestibule. Good luck!!
October 30, 2013 at 1:44pm      Thanked by zsdollhaus
zsdollhaus
I've considered enclosing the porch but I'm really looking for a ground level entrance and interior stairs leading into the house, I live in a snow pack climate so these stairs become slick. I want to insulate and reside, I don't want to redo the roof line,the roof is metal and solid but has no overhang which results in damage to the windows on the sides of the house. The property is in a awesome location and when purchasing this house I could see the potential, my family has grown since purchasing this home and we need to expand,mud room and addition.
October 30, 2013 at 3:43pm   
apple_pie_order
For big changes like these, I suggest you find an architect. They can help you with cost-effective designs that meet local building code and deal well with local climate, aka snow load, drifting and melt. They may also be able to identify solutions to the window damage.
October 30, 2013 at 4:53pm        Thanked by zsdollhaus
apple_pie_order
Two more cents on choosing an architect. Be realistic about your budget, including 20% contingency. Then find an architect who works in that price range. Don't hire an architect who works on much more expensive or much cheaper houses.
October 30, 2013 at 4:55pm      Thanked by zsdollhaus
zsdollhaus
I'm basically looking for design ideas that I can approach a architect with and say this is what I'm interested in doing.
October 30, 2013 at 7:29pm   
apple_pie_order
Try collecting some photos in an ideabook to show an architect. Search for your roof type in HOuzz photos.
October 30, 2013 at 8:33pm   
A Crew of Two
What about a vertical siding for a more modern look? Painting a dark gray. Could you do an roof over stairs on the right coming from the side rather than front? Then on the left do an enclosed room. I hope some of these pics inspire you- you have potential for something really special! "Three Birds... One Stone" Captain's Residence: Exterior Shingle Style Dutch Colonial Exterior Orono Residence Pasture Lane - The Farm at Banner Elk Fusion Farmhouse
October 30, 2013 at 8:58pm      Thanked by zsdollhaus
HERE Design and Architecture
Speaking as an architect, I can tell you that, from my point of view, it is less useful to be approached by a client who has a specific solution in mind. What is useful to have at your first meeting would be (1) your actual budget, i.e. the total amount of money you are planning to spend on this project (2) a list of your functional requirements as far as you know them (3) a list of your general aesthetic preferences (light, cozy, etc.) and (4) examples of things you generally like. Good luck - looks like your house has some nice qualities to work with. :)
October 30, 2013 at 9:14pm        Thanked by zsdollhaus
catieb
Ditto what Here said. I often tell people "don't tell me how to design/solve this problem. Tell me what YOU Need!"

You've done a great job starting that list. Photos, samples and anything else that speaks to you will help share your personal tastes so they can be expressed.

Great bones in the house. Congratulations on having the vision and courage to see the potential in this home!
October 30, 2013 at 9:49pm        Thanked by zsdollhaus
colourbug
We used to have a mudroom in our farmhouse. My favourite things were having the washing machine etc. in there so dirty clothes never had to go inside - and the best was the installation of a ceiling-attached long rail to hang outdoor coats and pants so they could dripdry after use!! We also had racks for boots and shoes. None of these things was unusual but having them in the mudroom gave me fewer chores!
October 31, 2013 at 2:45am      Thanked by zsdollhaus
rinqreation
An addition with enclosed stairs sounds best if you have slippery steps in winter times.
So remove the concrete steps and build a mudroom with stairs in it.
Steven Gambrel Time and Place
Mesa View Residence, Arroyo Grande
Kitchen - P
The Lakehouse
October 31, 2013 at 4:56am      Thanked by zsdollhaus
rinqreation
And an addition on the side/back should be carefully planned, because in my opinion a two story would be too much. A simple gable roof add would keep it dutch colonial (combined with the gambrel). So if sleeping under a sloped roof is no problem to you, go for it. Otherwise a full extension (cross hip/gable/gambrel) of the middle section towards the sides would look best.
Barn Conversion
The Greene Home
City Dutch Colonial
October 31, 2013 at 5:09am        Thanked by zsdollhaus
Donna Allgaier-Lamberti
Be sure to check with you township/city zoning office first to know the rules prior to building. You might get a great architect and design only to find out what you want to do is prohibited. Many areas require that you only build within the homes same footprint. Then have as much fun as your budget allows!
October 31, 2013 at 5:24am        Thanked by zsdollhaus
HERE Design and Architecture
Actually, if you hire a great architect, the first thing that they will do after measuring will be to go talk to the City to find out what the parameters are. Anybody who didn't do that isn't operating competently. :)
October 31, 2013 at 8:23am     
zsdollhaus
Here, what about hiring a builder for those of us who live in remote and rural places,where the larger centres are hours away?
October 31, 2013 at 12:48pm   
HERE Design and Architecture
In this economy, I bet you can find an architect who would be interested. Now that we can do so much online, a lot of work can be done from relatively far away. It might end up working well to find your local builder now, so that they can consult with the architect and help out with some of the more local issues if necessary. A good builder is worth his or her weight in gold, but they are not usually trained as architects.
October 31, 2013 at 2:20pm      Thanked by zsdollhaus
I need help designing dog bath in mud room
Needs to be access able for a 55 lb dog and high enough...
Need design idea for small office/mud room/pantry
We are looking at a house and are hung up on a sun...
Mud room design help
So fortunate to have this mud room but not sure how...
Help me design my mud room!!
Hi All, I need help designing my mud room. Attached...
Need help with a small mud room/Laundry room!!!!
I have a VERY small mud room/Laundry room combination,...
Need help arranging bedroom
Hi! I'm not sure of placement of furniture because...
Kitchen, nook and family room combined what to do help
I just put backsplash up I painted nook that is combined...
need help to update bathroom to wetroom
I want to take out a bath and just have a shower with...
A trend that should end
Are there any interior design trends at the moment...
What style of window valance would look best?
Would appreciate advice on how to complete this window....