Need help with color choice on fireplace wall
wishan
Okay, I so am extremely eclectic. Modern to antiques and clutter galore. Recently, I had the paneled oak wall surrounding the living room fireplace painted with a blue which really stands out. Now, I have changed my mind about the color pop and want to change the color to a more neutral color. I am open to suggestions before I make the wrong decision! We recently purchased the house and there was too much oak, so many areas were painted. I am including a couple of pictures or surrounding rooms so viewers can get the overall picture. All feedback is appreciated. Thanks!
The blue seems to be dotted around your home. Do you want to eliminate all of it? Here's a tutorial on greige, a great neutral. Don't forget, you can take one color strip card and work it throughout your home using darker shades where there's lots of natural light, medium tones where there's average light, and the lighter ones in halls, closets. Even the very lightest shade on a card can go on the ceiling and can be cut back with the addition of white.
October 30, 2013 at 3:07pm        Thanked by wishan
pegprather
My gosh, I wouldn't go back to a neutral! Your floors, furniture, draperies, other walls, tiles, and ceiling are all neutral. This bit of color is perfect. If anything, I would go one shade darker blue, for more contrast with the mantle. Contrast is a much more powerful statement in design than "matching". You are on the right track.
October 30, 2013 at 3:08pm      Thanked by wishan
neville1
Without too much thought...a pistachio green?
anne dee
have you considered painting /staining the oak a dark color? as seen in the pic .
It looks quite nice with the neutral walls and lighter blue tone.
I know this is not the question asked but I thought I would give it a shot :-)
October 30, 2013 at 3:39pm     
dclostboy
How about really using the blue as an accent and redoing the fireplace front with a blue mosaic glass tile?
October 30, 2013 at 4:17pm        Thanked by wishan
caitlin777
Yea, the firplace needs somehow to look updated. It's nice, but something about the wood color or something makes it look dated. I'm getting ready to redo my whole fireplace. It's got dark brick around Iran d a dark mantle. I want to get rid of the stoop at the bottom and add tile or something around it and g rid of this damn brick. Looks to much like I'm up north rather than in fl.
October 30, 2013 at 5:58pm   
Lidia Nonn
I have a room with the same color oak trim, I painted the wall chocolate brown and it looks amazing! I love blue, too and added blue with art. This way your blue won't be limited to the walls, you can replicated the color in art, pillow, vases, rugs.
October 30, 2013 at 6:17pm     
Amy Cali
Well blue is the opposite of your wood trim on the color wheel. Therefore when choosing blue you make the oak more noticeable. If you wish for it to fade a bit more into the background choose a color closer to the honey tone of your oak. Greige or chocolate brown as previously suggested would be nice. A mossy green with a lot of brown in it would work too. Congrats on your new home and welcome to the oak trim club ;)
October 30, 2013 at 6:29pm     
wishan
You are right about the color wheel balance. My abstract mind does not think In that direction. I stained the center island in my oak kitchen expresso brown (as well as the powder room), which works well with the granite counter tops. I like the dark contrast a lot. At the same time I am slowly working on my husband to accept the idea of painting out more of the wood in the oak-e house we bought. I am grateful for your feedback and everyone else's since I am a DIY-er.
October 30, 2013 at 9:03pm     
anne dee
the darker stained wood would look very nice with your furniture and accessories as seen in this reference pic

October 30, 2013 at 9:17pm        Thanked by wishan
qhayes11
My pop color would be sage or copper
October 30, 2013 at 9:20pm        Thanked by wishan
qhayes11
i also like the color you have on the walls already
October 30, 2013 at 9:21pm      Thanked by wishan
studio10001
Ivory, greige, sage, pale versions of wheat gold and terracotta will all look well on the walls, and appear neutral. You have no need for accent walls; your dining room ceiling and living room have enough presence on their own. Let your architecture work for you.
October 30, 2013 at 9:29pm        Thanked by wishan
wishan
I like the suggestion of copper and I am thinking in terms of a metallic paint. Good idea? Can anyone suggest a paint brand that has metallic colors to paint the fireplace wall? Is metallic paint too "far out"?
I like the idea of terracotta too. The exterior of our house is Colonial with a lot of brick using the same shades. A kitchen wall and the wall surrounding the fireplace in the family room are also brick.
Again in my fickled state, I think greige might be the safest.
October 30, 2013 at 11:53pm   
reno20417
I like the blue but it's overload so go more subtle try arctic ice sherwin Williams or husky gray glidden
October 31, 2013 at 12:28am        Thanked by wishan
notme11
What I see is a need for a change in the tiles around your oak fireplace. The fireplace is beautifully made, but the large tan tiles look wrong with the antique style. If you love the oak, keep it. If not, I would paint it and change your tile to perhaps a slate tile with a rough cut slate hearth.
October 31, 2013 at 12:34am      Thanked by wishan
Debp
I like your blue and would add more of it. Whatever you do don't do boring walls.
October 31, 2013 at 12:43am      Thanked by wishan
Need help with Stucco Fireplace color choice
We have a ventless fireplace in our home that is being...
Need help with pillow choices, wall color
I need help choosing throw pillows and bedding for...
Need help with wall color choice and decorating family room
We recently bought these couches. We need to decorate...
Wall color choice: need help toning down pinkish windows and ceiling
My new windows are "antique white" and I was disappointed...
Need ideas for curb appeal
We would greatly appreciate suggestions/ideas to improve...
Need suggestions for area rug to match red couch and dark flooring!
We are looking for an area rug that complements the...
Proud of your home?
Is there a particular room or spot in your home that...
How do I re-fit an old sink?
I have two old sinks, one of which I would love to...
Low ceiling
How do we make our TV family room with 2.1m high ceiling...