Small kitchen - need makeover ideas.
Caren Prommersberger
My kitchen is very small and desperately in need of a makeover; it is almost 20 years old, and the cheap cabinets are falling apart. I love to cook and bake for my family of 4 and occasional guests. Looking for ways to maximize space and include lots of storage. Budget is modest, but we are looking for quality items and willing to spend a bit more up front rather than have to replace anything for the next 10-20 years. There's a cathedral ceiling, so I can go with tall cabinets on that wall.
rosecottagehome
Can you please post pictures so we can best give suggestions for you.
October 30, 2013 at 5:23pm   
fianou
This is pretty non-specific as i don't know what shape or style your kitchen is…
I would pick one wall and put in a massive cabinet for all your pantry storage and then go for an island bench.
Don't have cabinets around the edge as it will look even smaller and the corners are just a waste of space. I would get a freestanding sink, perhaps a commercial style for big pans as you entertain. with open cabinets at the bottom so it looks more open. You might be able to pop a dishwasher under it. I would avoid overhead cupboards when you have high ceilings as the height will make it feel more roomey too. Have a little bench or shelf for hiding the toaster and kettle and other small appliances with plenty of power points. You can place all the other benches, sink, fridge etc… against one wall in a straight line. which frees up other walls for space and a walking thoroughfare. You could use pegboard mounted high on one wall and lots of hooks for pots and utensils rather than having a cupboard or drawer for them. You can just add hooks as you need them and you can even buy little shelves and trays that hook into them for extra things like spice racks. check out garage or shed storage ideas too.
With a small kitchen commercial kitchen ideas can be really good, as they are so practical, You need to make sure the space you have is super practical! And balance it with pretty stuff too. Have a place for everything you need. If your dining area is in another room you can store your good dinner sets and nice crockery in a buffet there to free up more space in the kitchen for the everyday stuff.
October 30, 2013 at 5:49pm   
Photos would be helpful.
October 30, 2013 at 5:59pm   
need help with ideas for small full bath makeover.
Taking off wallpaper, paint ideas, tiles in enclosed...
Help! Small 1960s kitchen needs top to bottom makeover
I have no artistic eye and no clue how to proceed with...
Small Kitchen in need of makeover
I had moved in to this kitchen and from the start did...
A see-through bath: too bold or just right?
I've seen this on other websites, but it's the first...
Kitchen help
I have lots of cabinets and they are from thirty years...
Island layout help...before it goes in for reals...
I've got a large L shaped island with a 40x84 island...
Smart thermostat?
Hi again....can anyone recommend a smart thermostat?...
Should we buy this?
My bf and I have been looking for months for a new...