Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
realkewl

Need help with my two tier half moon table in foyer

realkewl
10 years ago
FYI I'm a male and live alone, would like something very nice for the foyer. Pictures attached, I'm trying but still not quite the warm and fuzzy feeling. Suggestions would be great and where to get the stuff from. Thanks!

Comments (71)

• PRO
    Designer/Manager @ Ethan Allen Inc
    10 years ago
    Ok, put the sofa back together into the sectional. Way to far apart. Slide the bigger piece forward with the other one away from the back wall. Your sofa should be no more than 8 ft from your tv...(dont have the walk way through the middle of the room) lower your art way down. Put the ottomans both in the center but have one more forward (staggered) ok with that being said, Im thinking more orange and brown accents.
  • Finnaeus Easterly
    10 years ago
    I really like all of the ideas others have put up here so far. I agree with Designer/Manager^. The sectional looks disembodied apart and, even if you replaced it with love seats, they are too far apart to have a nice, low conversation. A family room should be cozy and intimate. Create a walkway behind the sectional and mark it clearly with runners. Remember that a walkway should be at least 3 ft across though. I'd measure 3.5ft out from the wall directly opposite the TV (the one the sectional is against) and put the back of the sectional there. If you think the room still looks too spaced out, get a sofa table for behind the sectional. I found a massive old record player at a garage sale several years ago that I like to use to anchor the sofa, but a traditional sofa table (maybe with storage?) will do just fine.
    realkewl thanked Finnaeus Easterly
  • realkewl
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Thanks so much for the suggestion on the family room, I'll do that this weekend...very cool. Also, here's another picture of the foyer...with different ideals. I do like the ghost chair ideas, but will have to order them. What do you think about the pictures, of course they will be hung. I put one vase on the bottom. Trying different ideas on the top. I have the pot to the side because I like the idea of a tray...but I guess I could just put it in the middle, right?
  • Mark
    10 years ago
    This kind of idea might work well for your entrance. A table with ottomans that fit underneath. The ottomans can be used for seating as well as for storing things in, like gloves, hats, etc. It also gives you more room on top for a place to drop your mail, a tray for keys, and still some nice decorative items as well.

http://www.cymax.com/Somerton-Morgan-Sofa-Table-in-Deep-Brown-619-05.htm
    realkewl thanked Mark
  • Norma Sassone
    10 years ago
    I agree that the entrance needs a bigger "statement" red rug and a long, lower rectangular table under the window. Your little half moon table might fit as an extra night stand in a bedroom. I still like your artwork on both sides of the window. Perhaps some taupe or tan colored roman shades at the window would finish it off. And a super cool lamp in an unexpected color, rather large slightly to the right of the window.
    realkewl thanked Norma Sassone
  • PRO
    What's Inside Design Ltd.
    10 years ago
    Good morning RealKewl,
    Here's what I'd suggest:
    You have a beautiful demilune table that needs a little help "scale-wise"
    1) I suggest you add draperies to either side of your window.
    2) A chair in the corner
    3) A larger area rug
    4) A lamp with a small base (because of the size of the table
    5) One other decorative item on the table in your chosen accent colour
    (doesn't have to be roses....just an example) ;)
    6) A lumbar pillow that also includes your accent colour
    These few small and easy steps will make a huge impact in your foyer!
    Good luck and have fun!!!
    Caroline
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Ooops, I see now from another angle, that that's not a corner that will fit a chair. My apologies!
  • PRO
    Leah's Design Studio
    10 years ago
    I love the red in the photos, and prefer the yellow flowers as an additional pop of color... but the table still feels "naked" to me (and as others have mentioned - too high for the window area and looks like it should be longer).
  • realkewl
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I agree I need a longer but lower table, thanks...will work on that. Would a dark color table still be a good fit, or something to match the floor. Or lighter?
  • PRO
    Leah's Design Studio
    10 years ago
    I like the darker table - deep mocha or black (in my opinion)... red basket or accessory items to bridge the photos together and play off the rug. :)
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Lol!!! If you go with a lower table, people are going to try to sit on it!!! ;) Table heights are quite standard, and if you adjust the height based on your window sills we all may as well move in with the seven dwarfs!!! If you are willing to buy a new piece, you most certainly can purchase a console table that is longer, but it too will be higher than your bottom sill, and that's a good thing!!! :) If you aren't willing to buy a new table, extending the visual interest to both sides of your window will help. (With drapes, or art, or large plants.......etc)
    realkewl thanked What's Inside Design Ltd.
  • chloebud
    10 years ago
    realkewl, it looks like we have very similar taste in tables. I'm glad you asked this question since I recently bought this one for our foyer. I need ideas, too. I might place a mirror above it...just not sure yet. Right now I just parked seasonal "stuff" on it.
  • realkewl
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    How about that...well, plenty of good ideas here.
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    Hope you've found a solution. With such a small foyer, I think you'd be better off eliminate furniture, add a great rug, maybe hang those two pieces of art going up the stairwelll, and call it done. Scale seems to be an issue with your tables - demi-lune too tall and the one by the sofa too short. When it comes to adding lamps this little chart might help you get the proportion and balance right. Tables generally need to be even with the arms of seating pieces or just slightly above them.
    realkewl thanked decoenthusiaste
  • anne dee
    10 years ago
    another consideration for inspiration!
    Front Entry with Black Doors · More Info
    realkewl thanked anne dee
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    Your foyer table is fine. Your family room needs some help. I'll be back.
  • realkewl
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yeah, going to work on the family room this weekend...thanks
  • Kim D
    10 years ago
    Hi nice space. I just wanted to suggest floating furniture in the middle of the room. Move everything off the wall and closer to TV.
    realkewl thanked Kim D
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    All you need is drapes floor to ceiling, something bright on the bottom shelf and a bowl on top for keys and such, and a statement rug.

I didn't finish accessorizing, but I did buy one thing you really, really need for the family room: a longer console for the TV. I probably ought to include a few more reallys. You really really really really need one.
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    Oops. Forgot the rendering.
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    A rug with a bit more pizazz.
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    The Joshua Stripe curtain from Pottery Barn might look good.
  • PRO
    Lydia (Kazza Design)
    10 years ago
    I don't really see the point in having a table there. It's just another excuse to add more (useless) stuff that will block the window. If you want to cozy up the space adding this type of small bench about the same width as the window would be more practical. The leopard one might not be your style but it's just to give an idea of the shape. Instead of frames, I suggest hanging a small mirror with an unusual shape on the right side of the window (wall away from the door). Depending on the size you could hang two (one over the other). Definitely change the rug for a more updated one. Blues and greys would be better than red. If you're intent on keeping the table then I suggest painting it a deep blue (like in the rug) to make it less traditional. Can't see the ceiling fixture but having an interesting one would also warm up the space.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    I'm not saying get rid of shade but cover for a complete look. It's a small area, you don't need much. Windows look better when shades are open.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Careful on red. Use in very small amounts can over power a room.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Try that pot by TV in entry to see scale. Have you thought of painting? I would get a much longer 6 ft and taller, think buffet. In dark wood or white with orange doors, Ikea has. For TV. To fill space more. Add tall pots to one end in a white with orange. Show other part of room. Looks like you could add chairs go a color or a print.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    A big piece of art over firepl. Contemporary, bold colors hang 5-6" above mantel. All items on walls go big and hang low. Let's see red pic from. Garage. may work over TV.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Bring pic over sofa dn to 5-6" above top of sofa. Yours way too high. What's on each side?
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Add various size and shape pillows to sofas. Mix it up with contemporary prints and solids. Use accent color like the orange mix it up.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Add chevron print panels to all ends of windows. Must match. Use the black and white or orange and white. Get a stainless rod. Measure from 4" above window to floor to get length. They come 84", so on. Bed bath & beyond carries. Or go on line. Make sure they go to floor. It will give your windows a finished look. During day keeps shades 3/4 way up. Don't cover to much window extend rod out on top by 5-7"
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Get a wood coffee table in dark wood square 36" add orchid and coffee table books to a corner. Get a throw zebra is fun. Add to end of sofa. You have a large room. Use it
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Saw pic add to either side of windows. Will look good hang so centered with that window. Nothing else in area except bigger rug more contemporary ck Ikea. No reds in rug go grays, and black. No table not working with a modern threme. Get taller lamps and big end tables for sofa. Floor lamps are good too. Ikea has some great buys. West elm for drapes also, and furniture. A big reclaimed square coffee table would look nice instead of small ottoman go 36" or bigger you have room.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Grover. Like pic but would like to see more subtle rug in entry. Accent color bold easy to over do.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Like the idea of low small bench or two zebra ottomans square. To entry. Bring interest to rooms not so cookie cutter. I would like to see part of sectional gone and two interesting chairs in color instead. Living room boring as is. Needs a punch.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    If going modern, which I like. Think leather and chrome.
  • unwantedadvice
    10 years ago
    realkewl, you are receiving such great advice from all the commenters. Now, slowly, going from room to room, take pics and in no time at all your entire home will be decorated to perfection!! All these comments and they've barely made it past your entryway. Houzz is the best. :))
  • leelee
    10 years ago
    Sorry, but the table isn't doing the job. It looks a bit "lightweight" for a guy's entrance.
  • leelee
    10 years ago
    It would be a good move to get a console or shelving system to house the TV and give a more finished/polished look to the living room.
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    WOW! Look at all the help you are getting! Anxious to see the sectional together and in the room......that will change the look in there and while I am normally not a fan of them, I think it will work for you.

Wondering if the art you propped for us in the entry could go on the mantle? Or another wall in your living space. GREAT pieces, but too big for the foyer. Would there be a place for the foyer table in the living room, too, and then maybe put the vase with the sticks in the foyer in the corner you see as you enter.
  • Bridget
    10 years ago
    You do not say if you are renting or own the house, lots of large spaces. Painting the foyer a soft warm yellow or antique white would help. Also did not state how much you have it invest in your new home. Looks very "early apartment", what colors do you like what is you personal taste. Go thru Houzz or magazines, going with you gut, what appeals to you, set up idea book, that way you can make the space yours. You have to look at it every day, make the space some thing you feel comfortable and relax being in. Check out "Mission Possible" for ideas and what can be done to a space.

Good luck
  • Bridget
    10 years ago
    Look on houzz before+and+after+foyer/enterway see if that is the feeling you like to archive. I like the yellow, but both a very nice. Am going to try and attach photos
  • realkewl
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Final picture attached. Calling this project done and successful...thanks everyone. It's good enough for now...it's very bold. Maybe one day will change the picture out. But now onto the next project family room.
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    It is bold, but that is part of the reason why you like it. I bet you smile each time you enter your home.
  • realkewl
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Sure do :-)
  • unwantedadvice
    10 years ago
    @realkewl, looks great, job well done. Start a different dilemma for other room.
  • Bridget
    10 years ago
    Good job, a man with conviction!
  • PRO
    Lifestyles and Interiors by Lisa
    7 years ago

Looks great! Send us a picture of your family room and we can create a product and shopping list for you!

• suedonim75
    7 years ago

3 year old post, why are you gravedigging old posts?

• PRO
    Lifestyles and Interiors by Lisa
    7 years ago

Gravedigging? Not at all...it showed up on the right of my screen! I posted to it but didn't realize it was from 2013!