Blahhh front entrance, please help!
biamel18
Need help with simple fix for my front entrance. I love my rug.
Mark
Can you take more pictures of your entrance ?
1 Like   October 31, 2013 at 1:22PM
biamel18
Does those help??
0 Likes   October 31, 2013 at 1:57PM
OC Stairs
check out ocstairs.com
1 Like   October 31, 2013 at 2:01PM
biamel18
Does those help??
1 Like   October 31, 2013 at 2:17PM
Joe DeVitto
a nice floor plant silk one or real. not to big or tall. would give it some life and color .. or a big vases with sticks in them or branches
4 Likes   October 31, 2013 at 2:20PM
I like Joe DeVitto's idea of a nice big vase with sticks. A vase complementary to your style.
Family Room View 2
Sausalito, CA
0 Likes   October 31, 2013 at 2:48PM
carolins
I don't think your entry is that blah at all :-)
Love that little table. I think the 'problem' is the rooms that you look into when you enter your home. They look a bit bare.

Couple of thoughts:
Have you considered off white curtain panels for your family room windows? Can't really see what's on your sideboard, but something eye catching there would be nice.
A colourful painting above the white sofa, on each of the narrow walls next to the front door I would hang two square images above each other....
2 Likes   October 31, 2013 at 2:55PM
That little table there is great and what would look fabulous on the table is a live fern. They look great everywhere. Be sure to protect the top of the table. I don't have a very green thumb but the ferns last at least a couple of months so it's cheaper than fresh flowers. :)
4 Likes   October 31, 2013 at 2:59PM
carolins
Forgot to ask, do you have a stunning chandelier in there?
2 Likes   October 31, 2013 at 3:03PM
biamel18
There is chandelier but I do not like it. The paintings still need to be hang. I am not sure the style and size though. Would u out the fern on the floor or on the top of the little table?
I also do not have a dining room yet so I want the entrance to make a statement :)
1 Like   October 31, 2013 at 3:17PM
mmklein
The entry isn't really "blah" so much as it is visually overwhelming. You can see straight to the back yard (and what is looking in the window??) and several rooms and stairs all at once. I completely agree with the fern or sticks advice...put a leafy plant on that little table, or move the table out and put a tall plant in that spot to block the view of the stairs and the TV room out as much as possible.
2 Likes   October 31, 2013 at 3:18PM
mmklein
some kind of window covering over the windows next to the door would be helpful too. Those blinds that let the light through but keep your privacy might be nice.
2 Likes   October 31, 2013 at 3:20PM
biamel18
Haha u made me laugh. It is a little ghost!
2 Likes   October 31, 2013 at 3:20PM
mmklein
LOL, it worked then, it spooked me. :D
4 Likes   October 31, 2013 at 3:21PM
Finnaeus Easterly
Coat rack! But a thinner one, and don't hang too many coats on it. I love coat racks because they are decorative, useful, and give a warm "home" feeling.
1 Like   October 31, 2013 at 3:38PM
Finnaeus Easterly
And I mean to put the coat rack where that little table is. It will accomplish what mmklein said, but add character.
1 Like   October 31, 2013 at 3:39PM
biamel18
I have one at home. I will take pictures
0 Likes   October 31, 2013 at 3:50PM
Kaplan Architects, AIA
I agree, I think this is a nice entry. I really like the front door and the way the windows work around it.
0 Likes   November 1, 2013 at 1:55PM
I don't like coat racks. It adds clutter and visible dirty laundry. :( I do have a metal coat rack outdoors to dry the swimming pool towels though. Coat racks in mudrooms but I think this foyer is too pretty for a coat rack.
2 Likes   November 1, 2013 at 2:03PM
More colorful rug. And big potted palm in corner by stairs.
1 Like   November 1, 2013 at 2:05PM
Rug is to wide. Show off beautiful floors. With color. No small items on walls. Walls to narrow for anything leave bear. Try plant next to sofa in corner by entry stairs.
1 Like   November 1, 2013 at 2:07PM
You need window treatments. To finish your look.
0 Likes   November 1, 2013 at 2:08PM
hyweld
I suppose this would be an expensive fix however I would have a carpenter extend your staircase so it's scrolls towards the door, like in victorian houses
1 Like   November 4, 2013 at 3:01PM
biamel18
Do u think works?
0 Likes   November 5, 2013 at 10:43AM
Pot don't work need a big pot with a tall plant ck TJMax
1 Like   November 5, 2013 at 10:49AM
Try those pots by front door corner.
1 Like   November 5, 2013 at 10:49AM
Nothing small think big by stairs.
1 Like   November 5, 2013 at 10:50AM
abbyjean
I would pull the rug back so your feet hit it when you enter inside. I love the idea of the fern on that round table by the stairs and would love to see the glass pots by the window....with sunlight hitting them! NICE!
2 Likes   November 5, 2013 at 12:30PM
nikikola
a palm
1 Like   November 5, 2013 at 12:33PM
juliedykhouse
You need some color. Not those vases, they look too big for and bulky for the floor. That little table with a gorgeous bowl (use it for keys) the space looks confusing to guests. Which way do they go once they are in the door?
0 Likes   November 7, 2013 at 5:23AM
jdriver33
I like your entrance, and agree with some of the previous comments. Definitely move your rug closer to the door so you step on it when you enter. A tall plant (at least 6') by the staircase would bring color and life to the room and it would block some of the view to the other room. Put it in a pretty container, maybe a wicker basket. If there is room for the small table by the door, put it there with a pretty bowl for keys or a seasonal item. Finally, I would paint your front door for some drama. Choose a color that complements your beautiful rug!
2 Likes   November 7, 2013 at 5:52AM
elizabethbhardy
I'm thinking a tree where the little table is. But I really like the idea of panel curtains on the windows. See this idea...http://www.windowsandmorebychrystal.com/2013/10/22/2-story-window-treatments-and-installations/
1 Like   November 7, 2013 at 7:01AM
leelee
When you enter the front door and look right there's a white sofa or chair. Looks like there's nothing over it. Add a painting with some color--even though it's not in the foyer it would help brighten the whole area.
2 Likes   November 7, 2013 at 10:11AM
leelee
Forgot pics of pics
1 Like   November 7, 2013 at 10:14AM
The entry should serve to introduce you, your family and your personality while hinting at what can be expected in the adjoining rooms. Here, all the adjoining rooms are wide open to the foyer, so there is no real need to make introductions. A large plant in a pot by the stairs, a pair of stacked pictures behind the column to the left, and great looking art over the sofa on the right side should do it. Softening, via floor to ceiling stationary panels on the windows in the family room would make a nice finishing statement.
2 Likes   November 7, 2013 at 10:32AM
biamel18
This is exactly what I am thinking. White panels drapery on the double windows. A nice picture on top of my white couch (by the way I loved your ideas, do u know where they are from?). I still dont know what to do in the entrance. I tried the vases, didn't work, than the coat rack, did not like it and also the little table! So for now I am still stuck!
0 Likes   November 7, 2013 at 1:31PM
leelee
Most of the pics I posted are from etsy.com. Look for large horizontal painting. You want something about 2/3 the length of your sofa and hang it only 5 or 6 inches above the back of the sofa.
That will go a long way to give your foyer some personality.
1 Like   November 7, 2013 at 2:04PM
leelee
Go with a pretty live palm in the foyer. The little table is really cute but I think a live tree would work better there. You can find another spot to put the table.
2 Likes   November 7, 2013 at 2:09PM
carolins
Went 'shopping' for you at Overstock:
4 Likes   November 7, 2013 at 2:17PM
KShoa
Hi, I agree with those who think the area actually looks nice but the walls surrounding the area are incomplete. If you'd like, post photos of the walls as you enter the area (take the photos straight in front of the walls) and I'll superimpose my artwork on it so you can see. I think there's a lot you can do with art.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/katshoa

You have a beautiful space. Just needs a dash of color/texture.
3 Likes   November 7, 2013 at 3:01PM
lepstein
Even tho the little round table, it is not strong enough in your entry. IMHO, you need a darker round table as just posted, or a square table, or even a small chest with an eye catching bowl on it and, depending on size, a medium tall lamp and smallish plant. A couple of stacked pics on the little left wall. Agree with the coloured vases near the front door, but place them closer together than you have shown. Is the plant near your white sofa real. You need a taller plant there, but it might grow, and a colourful pic above. Your rug is beautiful. Maybe you can use its colours in pix and accessories (even on the drapes in the Tv room) to carry the eye around and through the area.
1 Like   November 9, 2013 at 7:38AM
janeinfo
I strongly agree that a colorful print over your white sofa will help your entry. That said, what about having a row of pictures going down the wall right as you enter your front door on the right. (Point Piper - Art Deco Inspired) Then, I would put a potted plant in the corner by the stairs. (Shingle Style Estate)
2 Likes   November 9, 2013 at 8:33AM
biamel18
Does this work?
0 Likes   January 27, 2014 at 10:40AM
No, the chair doesn't work. A live, tall plant would look great. The rug is a tad too wide but if you want to keep there anyway, scoot it down about 4 inches closer to the front door so the corner of the rug isn't so close to the post and will keep the rug in the "entry" only.
4 Likes   January 27, 2014 at 11:40AM
Summit Stairs & Millwork
Well, being a stair company, I am going to suggest: change wood painted balusters to an iron with a pattern of some kind. Also, change the newels to a 6 1/4" box newel that will accent your columns built into your wall system. Simple balusters like plain bar, single knuckle then another plain bar. Repeat that pattern. That would make a world of difference. I see you have upstairs open railing so change those to match. Contact me if I can assist or even just point you to someone who can.
Sam Foster
sfoster@sumstairs.com
2 Likes   January 27, 2014 at 1:32PM
KShoa
No, doesn't work. You need something more vertical for that corner. Plant, sculpture, vertical art on that wall...
2 Likes   January 27, 2014 at 2:31PM
biamel18
Love the honesty! I will try to find a big tall plant this weekend!
0 Likes   January 28, 2014 at 2:56PM
Whispar Design
I'm wondering if a cast iron coat rack would be an option?
1 Like   January 28, 2014 at 4:35PM
lepstein
As long as it doesn't get so loaded down with coats that it looks messy. I like the one shown by the door best.
1 Like   January 28, 2014 at 6:02PM
loulou2019
I think if you take the rug out put about a 4 ft round table in center with pretty flowers and get rid of the stool and no one would even know it was the same room!!
1 Like   January 28, 2014 at 6:10PM
biamel18
I love this coat/umbrella rack. It can work closer to the door. I will try your idea Loulou2019 and I take pictures. I am not sure if the place is wide enough for a table in the middle!
0 Likes   January 29, 2014 at 1:40PM
Mark
I think a pedestal/plant stand with either a plant or a vase/ginger jar would look lovely in this corner. The pedestal and ginger jar are available at Ethan Allens http://www.ethanallen.com/Victor%20Pedestal/451567,en_US,pd.html
2 Likes   January 29, 2014 at 2:05PM
Bizzy Lizzy Designs, Inc.
Since the room has many straight lines and angles I think a round rug would soften the impression. Some kind of palm would look good too.
1 Like   January 29, 2014 at 2:10PM
nancygulf
I have a similar situation in the entry. A very narrow, small chest(10 inches deep max) with a small lamp or fern or piece of art or bowl would look less busy against the nice staircase. As it is, you see table legs with stair side of risers with posts and bannisters all looking into the other room. It's a confusing visual upon entering the house. Using a tall plant would just look like you were covering the pretty staircase. It is very hard to decorate with such a small space. And curtains on the family room windows will definitely soften the look as you enter the foyer and the view is straight ahead. I might put a small potted plant at the side of front door if it wouldn't look too crowded.

alindamood's idea of a mirror on the wall is really good. It always is appropriate in a foyer. If you didn't want another piece of furniture there to anchor the mirror, you could use a narrow wall shelf or instead use a full length mirror with a decorative frame which expands and adds detail without using floor space. ( I was referring to the wall just inside the front door opposite the stairs. On the stairway wall, I would use a small piece of art.)
2 Likes   January 29, 2014 at 2:16PM
alindamood
I think you need a mirror on the wall with a small table under it. On the table you could put a small floral arrangement and a tray to put keys on. If not a mirror how about a gallery frame.
3 Likes   January 29, 2014 at 2:16PM
Please help with front disaster patio/entrance design PROBLEM
We have been trying to decide what to do with the front...
Remax Checkmate Realtors Inc
Help with the front entrance please!
I am at a loss for what to do with the front of this...
rhondasinor
Need help updating this front door and entrance, please
It's time to replace this front door. So, what would...
cfire
Help needed please with front entrance.
I love getting ideas off Houzz and learning off what...
kaz2
please modify d kitchen.
please advice a complete changeover of kitchen without...
rajvvir
Bathroom vanity lighting
My new ensuite bath will have a small double sink oddly...
Rosa B
55 days and counting till baby arrives. Need nursery help ASAP!
My baby is on his way in less than two months, and...
Kim Meehardt
Need help and advice in basement design
My unfinished basement is in "L" shape. And I am trying...
rsquarev
Help - I cant decide which kitchen to get- traditional or modern
I have a huge dilemma I love 2 kitchen designs for...
Faye Bentley