Kitchen
deba51
Is my kitchen to dark or should I just leave as is
Renovations Group Inc
You are on the right track with a light-colored rug to break up all of the medium to dark wood tones. An even lighter rug would brighten it up more. You could bring in a pop of color with new, brighter counter stools and colorful kitchen accessories.
November 1, 2013 at 12:02PM     
Donna Alexander
If you can, add a bit of under cabinet lighting to brighten up the space under the wall cabinets, give you additional task lighting and show off that tile backsplash.
November 1, 2013 at 12:08PM     
Agreed, the kitchen looks great and nothing really needs to be changed.
November 1, 2013 at 12:09PM     
Ann
Looks nice as is.
November 1, 2013 at 1:24PM     
smileyface2013
I like your kitchen, and I don't think it is too dark, and I don't think anything needs to be changed. However, it's always fun to change things a bit and it can be done easily with accessories: rug, window treatment, counter top decor. So if you are bored or if you want more color, you don't need to change anything -- just add a few accessories in a brighter color. :)
November 1, 2013 at 1:51PM   
Looks good as is to me too! Very nice. I'd only suggest decorating with food (I know this is "old" but always looks good). A big wicker bowl of red or green apples, or lemons, limes, artichokes. Food is pretty and adds color. Food as décor...
Rancho Santa Fe, California
Sask Cres Kitchen
Malibu Lake Residence
Amoroso Design
November 1, 2013 at 1:56PM     
rinqreation
Maybe white blinds to go with the cooktop. A lighter rug could help (light grey?). And underlights as suggested above, but the kitchen looks good.
November 1, 2013 at 1:56PM   
Cancork Floor Inc.
For today's design style, it is bit too dark. Again this is taking into consideration "today". You have a beautiful kitchen that has a tremendous amount of well coordinated colours that were obviously put together with great care. For this very reason, you will have a kitchen that will continue to look "well put together" for years to come.

The one thing that may do the trick = more lighting. Kitchens, especially kitchens with medium depth wood colours with only slight variations on that theme, tend to be under-lit. More light would go a long way in brightening up the counter top = brighter looking kitchen.

Under cabinet lighting can be "retrofit" without having to punch holes in the ceiling or calling in an electrician. Ikea sells these things over the internet. I think the addition of well placed under counter lighting will brighten that counter top and that will be the "pop" that you are looking for (and todays design experts are pushing).

No need for demolition. Lighting can do it all.
November 1, 2013 at 4:31PM   
iemma23
You have a beautiful kitchen. The only suggestion I have is the window shade, change it to a honeycomb shade in a light color that is light filtering. This looks stunning dropped 1/3 of the way into the window. There are also lovely light filtering roller shades in gorgeous designer fabric that will compliment your kitchen
November 1, 2013 at 7:30PM   
rinqreation
November 2, 2013 at 4:01AM      Thanked by deba51
Sustainable Dwellings
LED under cabinet lighting and LED retrofit lights for your cans... they will use way less energy and not get hot... clean looking kitchen.
November 2, 2013 at 4:11AM   
bellesum
Agree. Looks good!
November 2, 2013 at 4:28AM   
Small space, boys bedroom
Best bed and bureau placement (twin)? We are planning...
High ceiling bare wall
I have 20' ceilings and have a big ledge up top going...
Screened in porch
Me and my wife bought a starter home with the intention...
Is it even worth it? Screen porch and return on investment. I'd love y
I would really like a screened in porch. We have an...