Dining room lighting: is this an expensive/impossible fix?
chuionthis
Hello houzzers! I recently purchased the George Nelson saucer pendant for my dining room and I realize that a) there is no electrical connection above the table (the picture shows how the previous owner had set up the lighting) and b) there is a sprinkler almost right next to where the light should be hung. Is this a complex/expensive fix ? Or am I better off just finding a nice shade and keep the current/electrical set up? Thanks for your help!
Can't you figure out how to use the saucer with this set up? Looks to be a little electrical job and that's all.
November 1, 2013 at 11:45am   
Pam P.
Same problem in an older home. We used a chain with the cord, hung the light from the "hook" over the dining table and ran the chain/cord to the wall and the outlet. I was able to hide it in the drapes once it hit the wall where the outlet was. I had sewn a "tube" in fabric and slipped it over the chain...worked pretty well.
November 1, 2013 at 12:33pm   
deborahjarman
a) Is there attic access to install an electrical box where you want the pendant to be? If not, cutting into the ceiling for access and then repairing should not be too big of an issue. b) Is a sprinkler necessary for some code reason? I've only seen sprinklers in commercial buildings.
November 1, 2013 at 12:43pm   
chuionthis
Hm, I'm not sure, there are sprinklers in every room and it was here when we moved in. I guess I should call a local electrician and ask. Thanks though!
November 1, 2013 at 12:53pm   
deborahjarman
Is this a single family home, or a condo? Some older apartment complexes that were later converted to condos have sprinklers in the ceilings.
November 1, 2013 at 1:01pm   
A electrician can wire for your light. No not expensive and will look so much better.
November 1, 2013 at 1:16pm     
Scott Design, Inc.
There are municipalities that require single-family residential sprinkler systems. Sprinklers have different clearance requirements to show that their ability to sense, control and suppress a fire is not impaired. In addition to distance from walls, there are clearance requirements from heat sources. As far as lighting is concerned, it is typically 6 inches from a light fixture up to 250 W and 12 inches from a light fixture from 250 W to 499 W. However, your electrician should know about the clearances for your building codes.
November 2, 2013 at 10:04pm     
jackiemss
Do you always need a chandelier in every case?
November 3, 2013 at 6:48am   
Linda Cowperthwaite
Think I would work little harder and have an electric line for the ceiling lights/fans. Having the covered cord strip crawling along the ceiling really takes away from your light fixture.
November 4, 2013 at 12:00pm     
John James O'Brien - Design for Inspired Living
Which way do your joist run? Likely there is a run that could be made within damage to your ceiling from an electric box to the place you want your pendant. If you can save up a couple of electrical jobs and do them at once, you can cut your costs considerably.
November 4, 2013 at 7:36pm   
Help! Exposed brick - to cover or not to cover
We have a strange layout in our house. The fireplace...
Feature wall paint
I need to re-paint the walls. What colour scheme should...
Napa Valley Fixer Upper
We're planning to remodel a house in Napa Valley in...
Need ideas for tile in shower
Redoing shower. Looking for white ceramic tile desughnsb...
Need suggestions on railing
Our master bedroom is a finished attic, and the staircase...