Weird wall cut outs
printyourheartout
We just bought this house and it has a weird, off-center wall cut out in our family room. Do I just shove my tv and credenza in that spot or should we fill it in?

I hate how it's off-center. Also, the weird triangle piece at the top right--could we just cut that out?

I also attached a pic of our old living room which will be the furniture in this room of that helps for a point of reference. Thanks for your help, y'all!
m3459
Perfect place for an accent color wall, whether on the recessed or forward part of the wall. Don't try to decide yet about construction. Live with it a while and see how it wants to live with your stuff.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by printyourheartout    November 1, 2013 at 12:55PM
anniebird
That's great advice m3459! That bump-in might also be a place for some fabulous wallpaper - I wonder if you could make it disappear by papering the adjacent wall too? Maybe some design pro will weigh in on that!
    Bookmark   Thanked by printyourheartout    November 1, 2013 at 1:00PM
Can wall where wire is come down. Just leave beam? What's on other side.
    Bookmark   Thanked by printyourheartout    November 1, 2013 at 1:14PM
Are you painting? Exciting things can happen with paint and wallpaper.
    Bookmark   Thanked by printyourheartout    November 1, 2013 at 1:15PM
printyourheartout
travisinteriors, the paint won't change much. i'm loving light gray/white walls right now (as evidenced by my pinterest board http://www.pinterest.com/lshildebrand/design-inspiration/ ) but i DO want it to have some visual interest. i have attached another pic of the other side of the room (sorry, we are not in the home yet so i have to pull from MLS pics). lots of work, obviously. i will be putting down a medium/dark laminate flooring down throughout whole top floor BTW
    Bookmark   November 1, 2013 at 1:33PM
I like your colors. And, actually, I like the fact the t v will be off center…different than the typical t v over the fireplace. How about on that remaining wall you hang one of those great huge clocks?

I think it would look great with your style and then there is the bed time reminder right there.

Tranquil Family Home (3-BR) Bayshore Estates Custom Home
1 Like    Bookmark   November 1, 2013 at 1:48PM
printesa
I think this off-centered nook will work out great for you. If you put the TV there, then it is just right because you do need to have the seating towards the right of the room so that there is enough walking space on the left ( I see you have an entry point on the left). This way, the room won't seem unbalanced at all.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by printyourheartout    November 1, 2013 at 2:12PM
smileyface2013
I'd just fill it in. Then you'll forget it was ever there. The triangle at the top, just leave as is.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by printyourheartout    November 1, 2013 at 2:16PM
smileyface2013
Another idea, it appears to be deep enough to turn into a closet, just add the doors and shelves.
    Bookmark   Thanked by printyourheartout    November 1, 2013 at 2:33PM
printyourheartout
smileface2013 i was thinking of doing built in shelving. something along these lines, but on a smaller scale, obvs. does that lesson my options?
2 Likes    Bookmark   November 1, 2013 at 2:41PM
printyourheartout
or maybe like this with an accent color behind it??
2 Likes    Bookmark   November 1, 2013 at 2:44PM
A Kitchen That Works LLC
My guess is that the recessed area was probably a closet at one time and the doors were removed at some point. Once you have your furniture in place and the TV in the recess, you may come to appreciate the off centeredness of the recess as you will want to leave an isle for walking down the left side of the photo that features the niche in the top right of the photo.
As for the odd triangular piece of sheet rock near the ceiling, I would leave it in place because removing it will extend the dust collection zone than you already have up there.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by printyourheartout    November 1, 2013 at 2:47PM
smileyface2013
If you put shelves or a closet on that wall, then it will affect how you arrange the furniture in the rest of the room.

If the rest of the walls are taken up with other closets, windows, doorways, and you don't have much wall space, or if you don't have much floor space, then you might want to reconsider the shelves.

I like your idea of shelves and base cabinets, and I like the accent color behind it too!
    Bookmark   Thanked by printyourheartout    November 1, 2013 at 2:49PM
I think it's a perfect spot to recess the tv unit. You won't have to see it when you walk in the space. I'm loving that you have an overhead electrical so you can get a fabulous chandelier. :)
    Bookmark   Thanked by printyourheartout    November 1, 2013 at 2:50PM
Cancork Floor Inc.
Built in shelving is going to be the way to go here - unless you want to have the TV in this area. I'm going to stray off topic for a second here and encourage you to work with a MEDIUM coloured floor and not a dark floor. You have wonderful, dramatic furnishings - the like many of us would love to have - that are dark/extremely dark. The flooring in the photo with your furnishings is about as dark as I would like to see you go.

If you have a high energy house (noisy) you may want to have a gander at cork flooring. It is the same price as a high-end laminate with the added benefit that it can be made water/spill resistant. And it keeps the noise down. Here are some floors - from light to dark - that could work with your furnishings...depending on your taste.
    Bookmark   November 1, 2013 at 2:54PM
The Well Dressed House
What do you think about putting a desk in the space. You could have a cork board or chalk board above it. Great for kids to do homework or paying bills etc.
    Bookmark   Thanked by printyourheartout    November 1, 2013 at 2:55PM
Bridget
The space could be used various ways, a home office, computer central, reading nock, family corner, for games or puzzles. Depends on who lives in the house, kids, age of kids, etc. as others have said, live in the space before making a decision.
    Bookmark   Thanked by printyourheartout    November 1, 2013 at 3:59PM
printesa
I think the best thing would be to first move it, bring your furniture and see how it fits. Based on what you need, you can decide how you want to use that space. If you have an office, then you won't need a desk there. If you want to read, there are many really beautiful ideas for a reading nook. If you have books and need storage, then a mini-library would work..many possibilities:)
    Bookmark   Thanked by printyourheartout    November 1, 2013 at 4:03PM
DMH DESIGN
I believe your furnishings will look nice in this space. Likely, as mentioned earlier, this area was an adjustment from the original plan. Probably a closet, but not necessarily for the living (family) area. Closet area could have been claimed for this area from bedroom beyond, and the closet for the bedroom was likely moved over. In any case, I believe it can make a nice TV/Entertainment center recess. In fact, it would offer a nice area for a fireplace with built ins too. The accent wall idea mentioned was a nice thought, as well. I will attach an idea for your consideration. Happy Houzzing!
    Bookmark   Thanked by printyourheartout    November 1, 2013 at 4:14PM
I would put the TV on the wall opposite the window and use this spot for a built in.
    Bookmark   Thanked by printyourheartout    November 1, 2013 at 5:09PM
DMH DESIGN
Here is my sketch idea using f/p, drawers and shelves. Enjoy. Happy Houzzing.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by printyourheartout    November 1, 2013 at 6:53PM
Need help with my pony wall please!!!
We have a 36" high pony (stub) wall that divides our...
ttcestmoi
weird floor plan
When I walk through my front door I walk directly into...
chicemama
Does this desk look weird?
I need to design a new layout for my kitchen. And I...
yogibear13
Weird Carpet
I need help. Please!! My downstairs is all tile except...
leenie53
Please help with weird living room built in & color ideas
PLEASE help!!!!!! I'm absolutely clueless what to do...
mandytangles
a need for an inspiration for the home decor
I would love to change the color of our home, rearrange...
Sebastian Gloria Forjan
How many cushions for my sofa?
I'm thinking of ordering an 86" custom sofa (picture...
shal1217
Synthetic slate roofs
We are considering the installation of a synthetic...
kimkjeffery
Does this sconce work with this chandelier?
Trying to pick out a sconce to go with our chandelier...
magsmayers
Need help maximizing natural light.
The only source of southern light will be from a 1...
susing9