I have Baldwin Brass door hardware
suzdahl
All my interior and exterior doors have this expensive shiny brass hardware. I'm aware that shiny brass is not a currently stylish look however I don't want to spend the money to change it . My kitchen cabinet knobs are shiny brass round knobs and my light fixtures also have shiny brass. My appliances are stainless. What metal should I pick to go with the existing Baldwin brass door hardware. Should I go with a satin, brushed, or antiqued brass? Or should I go with something closer to the stainless look?
What kind of product are you looking for? These days we mix a lot of things, but it would be helpful to know where you want to put this product, whatever it might be.
November 1, 2013 at 6:38PM     
suzdahl
I want to replace the shiny round brass kitchen cabinet knobs (I don't want to replace the Baldwin brass knobs) ...... should I replace them with a satin brass knob, an antiqued brass knob, or should I move away from brass and choose a metal which looks more like the stainless on my appliances? I also want to replace my kitchen pullout Delta faucet with a pull down faucet. Delta has a faucet I like ..... it comes in a stainless finish and also a "champagne bronze" which reminds me of a satin brass ..... very pretty I think!
November 1, 2013 at 6:48PM   
sbrustein
I would use a satin nickel. It works well with stainless steel appliances. Don't worry about the door knobs being brass.
November 1, 2013 at 7:09PM   
Ditto! Brushed or satin nickel will look great!
November 1, 2013 at 7:35PM     
suzdahl
Okay if I don't worry about the Baldwin brass door hardware, what about the shiny brass light pendants and the brass track lighting????
November 1, 2013 at 8:12PM   
lucyhomedecor
Where are the pendant lights & track lighting? If kitchen I would change then to brushed nickel. What about you kitchen faucet? It should be brushed nickel too. I had updated my door hardware about 8 years ago with brass. When I redid my kitchen I used bronze & copper. In the bathrooms I used brass, chrome & chrome & brass. I put up antique gold light fixtures in the dining room & hall. A little of everything. I think as long as the room has a cohesive look, a mixture is ok.
November 1, 2013 at 8:23PM        Thanked by suzdahl
suzdahl
The shiny brass track lights are above the kitchen sink, and 3 pendant lights over a peninsula, and over a kitchen table!
November 1, 2013 at 9:15PM   
It would be good to change the track lights and the lights over the peninsula. You may be happy to know that we are seeing gold finishes sneak slowly back into use.
November 2, 2013 at 5:46AM     
suzdahl
And I too have seen this ..... in fact, Delta faucet makes a pull down kitchen faucet in a "champagne bronze" that I love! So maybe I should be brave and keep my brass lighting and just have it "brushed" to a soft satin finish. I like my lighting but not the shiny brass. What say you?
November 2, 2013 at 8:14AM     
I say show up the lighting! I'd love to see what you have.
November 2, 2013 at 8:27AM        Thanked by suzdahl
suzdahl
Here are my shiny brass lights ....... is there a way to change the finish from shiny to satin??
Or should I change the look to some other metal?
November 3, 2013 at 8:39AM     
I love the first fixture and would look into changing that finish to ORB or a pewter looking finish, which I believe can be done. However, if it's over your breakfast table, it may be far enough from the rest of the kitchen to leave it as brass. Another possibility would be giving it a more antique brass look.

The glass shades on the pendants are too big for 3 of them hanging together. It may be possible to change the glass shades and to also change the finish on the brass. I would remove the chain covers.
November 3, 2013 at 2:23PM   
suzdahl
I agree that the glass shades on the pendants are too big ...... I think I shall take the shade to a lighting store to see if I could find a smaller one that fits the opening. But I have no idea who i would contact about changing the finish to an antique brass or a satin brass.
November 3, 2013 at 2:55PM   
You might be able to do it yourself if there's any DIY in your blood. Look online for how to change metal finishes. I've certainly seen brass fixtures that have been painted, so it may be as easy as using a metallic paint, but I don't know, so check online for someone who is a finish expert.
November 3, 2013 at 3:12PM   
suzdahl
Very good .... I will check! Thanks for your help!!!
November 3, 2013 at 5:35PM   
solincia
Take the fixture down, hang it from a shepherds hook outside, grab a can of Rustoleum ORB, and get spraying!
November 3, 2013 at 6:25PM   
suzdahl
Okay ..... what does ORB stand for ....
November 3, 2013 at 6:29PM   
solincia
Oil Rubbed Bronze
November 3, 2013 at 6:30PM      Thanked by suzdahl
Solincia to the rescue! Thanks very much for helping us out with just the right answer!
November 3, 2013 at 6:50PM     
Fred S
...
November 4, 2013 at 10:34AM     
Fred S
If you want to stay with a metal look instead of a painted look, the first picture below is all you need. It is easy to adjust the finish look by rubbing with steel wool and applying more bluing. The laquer is only to keep the copper green part of the patina from rubbing off. For the ORB look, it is not necessary
November 4, 2013 at 10:48AM     
suzdahl
Good idea! Thanks!
November 5, 2013 at 8:06AM   
Help with living room decor
Please help suggest art work for the blank wall behind...
Close to pulling all my hair out. HELP PLEASE!
I'm not sure which countertop to go with between two...
i have an eleven by eleven bedroom with
brown walls and yellow is the ascent color the ceiling...
making the correct plumbing fixture "finishing" choices
brand new cottage (1 level, 2 bedrooms, woodstove,...