Feedback PLEASE!
carla3127
We set up a bed and dresser for our spare bedroom/study but I am not sure if I like it...We were planning on putting a matching desk on the large wall but don't want to do anything before I get some feedback...
carla3127
This was our inspiration...maybe I am not sure about it because of the ?wall colour....any feedback is much appreciated!
0 Likes   November 1, 2013 at 8:09PM
dclostboy
The end of the bed looks awfully close to the dresser, but may just be angle of pics. Can you stand at the foot of the bed and comfortably open the drawers? If not, may need to swap chest and desk placement.
0 Likes   November 1, 2013 at 8:13PM
carla3127
It is a bit of a squeeze but you can open the drawers! The desk is even wider so the only place it could go is against the large wall! Not sure if that will look like too much furniture! What do you think? Will painting the walls a similar colour to that in my inspiration picture make the room less crowded?
0 Likes   November 1, 2013 at 8:18PM
lucyhomedecor
Need a diagram of the room.
0 Likes   November 1, 2013 at 8:27PM
zenmomma
This is a guest room, right? I might just put the large dresser on the wall, maybe with a great piece of art or a mirror over it and skip the desk all together. Sometimes less is more, especially in a guest room! Love the fireplace you have in there.
4 Likes   November 1, 2013 at 8:28PM
carla3127
I totally agree but I use the room more often to work in so a desk would be great! We could get rid of the dresser but there are no closets in the house so the extra storage space would be appreciated....I thought maybe painting the walls would make it appear more spacious but not sure...
0 Likes   November 1, 2013 at 8:32PM
zenmomma
Gotcha... So work space is a priority, followed by the need for extra storage and a guest space?

Painting could definitely help then. A lighter, neutral color would open up the room more and let the focus be on that great fireplace and the natural light from the window.

If you use it more as a study then a guest room, it might even be worth looking into a sleeper sofa or a daybed to really open up the room. If that's not an option (I know sometimes replacing furniture just isn't an option), start with painting and just see how you like it with the desk on the wall.
1 Like   November 2, 2013 at 5:33AM
dclostboy
For color similar to inspiration pic, look at BM Elmira White. It's a nice putty / cement color.
0 Likes   November 2, 2013 at 5:40AM
Lori_Tartaglia Volpatti
I think the room could also use some better lighting. It makes such a huge difference - basic ceiling fixtures often throw a dingy hue over a room.
2 Likes   November 2, 2013 at 6:58AM
I would put in a small club chair in the corner where the vase is and take out that dresser next to the fireplace, it looks to crowded;)

1 Like   November 2, 2013 at 7:06AM
denellwilson
We've had great success using wall beds, both custom cabinet maker and orders through bedderway and wilding wall beds. Unless you have lots of extra rooms or a parade of overnight guests getting the bed out of the way is worth the cost. Some of the even have built in desk units that stay horizontal when the bed is lowered.
2 Likes   November 2, 2013 at 7:16AM
carla3127
I agree it looks crowded but appreciate both the drawer space (since there are NO closets in the house) and a place to work...we can take back any of the furniture since we just got it and it is returnable...In fact one reason we haven't put the desk together yet is we are not sure about the furniture....a friend of ours is looking into getting a Murphy bed for the room but not sure it will work with the deep mattress we have and think it will be pricey...if we keep the current furniture I think we will paint and get new bedding as well as a small tv and set it up as shown in picture...however we remain at a stand still uncertain if we should go a head and put the desk together or pack up everything and take it back...What are your thoughts?
0 Likes   November 2, 2013 at 9:23AM
zenmomma
It looks like your inspiration photos came from IKEA - am I right? If so, what about returning those and starting with this (attached photo) daybed and finding a dresser + desk that matches it. Then do the walls maybe in a light gray or pewter. Light walls, lighter furniture, you could put down a pretty area rug for a pop of color... the room will look bigger and will be functional as a work space, guest space and storage both under the daybed and with a dresser in place. If the mattress was not purchased with all the furniture (and not returnable), you may be able to resell it on Craigslist. What do you think? Am I going in the wrong direction with the idea of a daybed in there? :)
0 Likes   November 2, 2013 at 9:35AM
denellwilson
Daybeds are a great option if there is only one guest at a time, tall people are not expected to use them and older folks aren't expected to get up and down from the bed in the base. Anyone 6' or taller can't fit at all much less be comfortable. My folks had one. We stayed at a hotel. Our wall beds have all accommodated a deep mattress with no problem. The companies I mentioned give very detailed pictures and dimensions, so you can see exactly what they are selling and they stand behind their products. I don't work for those companies, just wanted to clarify.
0 Likes   November 2, 2013 at 9:53AM
2 Likes   November 2, 2013 at 9:56AM
denellwilson
Could you add fireplace to wall open shelving and use deep baskets for storage? It would look more open than a dresser, add a few more inches of walk space around the bed, give you more options for room arrangements and allow display space as well.
0 Likes   November 2, 2013 at 10:05AM
Genevieve
Can you place the bed on an angle?

0 Likes   November 2, 2013 at 10:19AM
carla3127
Day bed is not an option since my hubby is 6 foot 2 and occasionally sleeps in that room if our little guy wants to sleep with me...typically grandma and grandpa sleep in that room when they visit once every 6 weeks or so...my niece occasionally comes for a visit too...any of the Murphy beds I have looked at are 2000 to 3000 and I am not sure I want to spend that much just on a bed...we do have a pull out couch that used to be in the room with a desk but it is only a double and not that comfy to sleep on...
0 Likes   November 2, 2013 at 11:42AM
zenmomma
Okay, the bed stays then! :) One of your original comments was you wondered if painting the room would make it feel more spacious. Why don't you start with that? It may be in order to be a room that is functional you need the dresser for storage, a desk for work and the large bed for guests to be comfy. It may not be the perfect scenario as far as being crowded but it sounds like that's what you need for the room to work for your family. So, change what you can change and see what you think - some lighter wall colors, softer color bedding and maybe a big mirror over the dresser might be enough to help balance out the space in the room that needs all 3 pieces of furniture.
0 Likes   November 3, 2013 at 7:34PM
Carla, you have 3 posts going at the same time about the same room.

: > (
0 Likes   November 3, 2013 at 7:36PM
carla3127
Is there a way to delete or merge posts?
0 Likes   November 4, 2013 at 3:29AM
joypratt
I don't think the wall color needs to be changed. But I think you have too much of the same tone colored items in the room, that is why you are probably doubting your wall color choice. I say add a good splash of a completely different color or add some refreshing white accents.
0 Likes   November 4, 2013 at 3:43AM
joypratt
Your flooring, bed spread and wall color are all basically in the same family. Hope that helps. Ps. I love the wall color, I have that color as an accent wall in my kitchen/living room area. I have it accented with whites, navy and chocolate brown.
0 Likes   November 4, 2013 at 3:47AM
paigepars
Love the wall color! Can the bed go on wall to left as your enter, dresser where bed was, and desk where dresser was? Bed and dresser as is are too crowded. Otherwise I love the murphy bed idea, and your estimate of price seems high expecially if you can buy a kit and have it installed yourself and use existing mattress. The alcove where dresser is seeems perfect spot to me. Lookig into those myself for exact same type of room.
0 Likes   November 4, 2013 at 4:21AM
carla3127
I moved around the furniture a bit...Not sure if I like it...I liked the previous arrangement since it had 2 "separate" spaces-work and sleep...what do you think?
0 Likes   November 4, 2013 at 9:33AM
carla3127
.
0 Likes   November 4, 2013 at 4:13PM
paigepars
Is there a tall chest option to the long dresser? Just thinking that might not take up as much space and provide same storage.
1 Like   November 4, 2013 at 5:14PM
happyasaclam
paigepars makes a very good point. A tall chest will free up some floor space and you may still be able to put a tv on it. It looks like your inspiration room has gray paint. Is that close?
0 Likes   November 4, 2013 at 5:36PM
carla3127
Yes...I am going to call the store to get the exact color...I am still debating taking this stuff back and going for a Murphy bed since I don't like the layout of this furniture....the thing that makes me nervous about a Murphy bed is how large it will look on the wall and if will offer as much storage as the chest of drawers...wish I could be more decisive...
0 Likes   November 4, 2013 at 6:24PM
denellwilson
For something as big as a wall bed and side cabinets you can check furniture spacing by putting painters tape, or string, etc. down to mark off the floor to get a better visual. Most websites have very detailed information about furniture sizes. They are generally about 16 to 20 inches deep, about like a dresser. The whole installation can look like a nice bookcase wall. You can even attach a painting or other art piece to the large part that houses the mattress. Is there a closet in the room? Could you put in a shelf stack or put a dresser inside the closet? We always spent the dresser money on getting the best use of the closet space by adding shelves, drawers or whatever the room's/person's needs called for and so had one less piece of furniture taking up valuable floor space.
1 Like   November 4, 2013 at 7:08PM
happyasaclam
You can put small pieces of furniture in front of the Murphy bed them slide them out of the way at night. I love the idea of a Murphy bed and plan to build one in our den so my elderly inlaws do not have to climb the stairs to get to a bedroom. They can be made quite attractive on the outside. Bookshelves can flank it on either side and lighting can be installed in the top and sides of the interior frame.
0 Likes   November 4, 2013 at 7:24PM
carla3127
Was planning on putting the Murphy bed on the large wall with a small closet on each end since there are NO closets in the entire house (which is over 200 years old!) and a shelving unit that has an attached next to the fireplace...was a bit worried that the Murphy bed might compromise the view of the fireplace...thought about putting it in a different wall but used to have a desk next to the fireplace and thought it looked good there...
0 Likes   November 4, 2013 at 7:43PM
carla3127

The desk I was thinking of was kind of like this...the shelves would go beside the fireplace and the desk would protrude from it
1 Like   November 4, 2013 at 7:49PM
Diane Mazefsky
I LOVE the wall color. Always wanted to do a guest room that color but kids kept moving back in. ;) I would add some additional color in pillows, an upholstered chair, and an eclectic piece
0 Likes   November 4, 2013 at 7:50PM
Amy Canary
What is the length of the bed wall? What don't you like about the room as you have it now?
0 Likes   November 4, 2013 at 7:53PM
Diane Mazefsky
Some cream and then the autumn tones that you see in fabrics that have your paint color in them. Wish I still had my photos and fabric swatches for my potential room....I just threw them out. Had a butter velvet as one and some mixed print fabrics
0 Likes   November 4, 2013 at 7:53PM
carla3127
The wall the bed is on right now and the Murphy bed would be is just a little over 8 feet...I don't like the set up right now because it feels like the bed is blocking the entry wAy and I don't like how it was set up previously since everything felt "tight"....I want dual functionality (work and sleep space) and really appreciate any extra closet room...
0 Likes   November 4, 2013 at 8:07PM
Amy Canary
Did you see if a Murphy bed will fit on that wall with storage on each side? I like the position of the bed and the work area near the doorway and fireplace makes sense. We built this display for Hafele in NYC - the bed takes up a lot of space when open. I think this was a double size mattress. Tough to really appreciate the room from pictures.
0 Likes   November 4, 2013 at 8:36PM
carla3127
What if I put a shelving unit with an attachable L desk on the wall next to the fireplace and the Murphy bed where the dresser is now (beside the window) and left the large wall for a few chairs or couch? While sitting at the desk you could see the whole room (outside door and fire place) and the Murphy bed would be tucked away and only visible if you came in the room...
1 Like   November 5, 2013 at 6:41AM
lntrcrts
I think that you should find a comforter that has the some light grays and white to pull the room together with some white and gray pillows and maybe a small decorative pillow same color as the wall. Beautiful room but you want to make it feel inviting and relaxing.
0 Likes   November 5, 2013 at 7:44AM
denellwilson
Sounds like your recent post/plan may have solved all your problems. Lay it out on the floor to see what you like, bed open and closed. I've used sheets and towels to show size of pieces. They're easy to move and more substantial looking than tape on the floor. The room photos don't look like you could get a couch, 2 chairs and an open wall bed in the space. Unless one of the chairs will fit under the desk out of the way when needed. Wow no closets! Though a 100 year old house might be worth the sacrifice, :). I had 2 side cabinets, each with hanging space and 2 bottom drawers. It worked fine for guests and to hang the bed sheets for storage. Did wish I'd gotten one of them with the fold down desk.
0 Likes   November 5, 2013 at 7:47AM
Amy Canary
Have you made any progress on your room?
0 Likes   December 11, 2013 at 3:02PM
Feedback please on Master Suite finishes
This is the last room to complete. We are moved in...
Your feedback Please!
Hi there, I would like your expert feedback on my...
Your feedback Please!
Feedback please with kitchen nook & cooktop placement
I'm thinking of having our peninsula with cook-top...
Need suggestions to improve closet doors, I'm thinking Barn Doors
I'm renovating this home to sell (part of my company...
What type of light fixture would work for this open room?
It is hard to see in photo but the light fixture is...
Too cramped, and dark.
I would like a baking center, and a coffee center.
Nice cherry kitchen cabinets but they are too dark! White paint??
We have lived in our house 11 years now and I've enjoyed...
need help for my ceiling and living room open concept design
Please see the photos.This is a view house,I need an...