how to light an interior stairway with no windows and 18 feet high?
Studio Homes
electrical hasn't started in this house yet so I am trying to figure out the lighting for the stairwell. It is an L-shaped stairway with one landing and completely enclosed on both sides with walls. The ceiling height is open all the way to the top of the second floor so its 18 feet to the top when above the bottom step. I goes from a hallway on the main floor to a 500 sq ft bonus room. So...I want it well lit and I am not sure where to put the lighting. I am not usually a fan of sconces as I find they usually look dated.. Any ideas?

and... what style goes in a stairway?
Stair lights are popular, but I like sconces too and don't see a problem of them looking dated. What style is the house?

0 Likes   Thanked by Studio Homes    November 2, 2013 at 3:34PM
Studio Homes
the house is going to be fairly modern with a european kitchen in high gloss and clean lines everywhere. I love the lights in your picture but not sure what to shop for to find lights like those...are they in the pot light category? are they adjustable? When I look for stair lights all I find is exterior deck lights.
0 Likes   November 2, 2013 at 3:39PM
If you enter stair lights in the Houzz search area for photos you'll see plenty and some may have info on what they are. I always ask at the lighting showroom and they provide plenty of catalog options.
0 Likes   November 2, 2013 at 3:52PM
I just looked on lumens website and found them under "step lights".
0 Likes   Thanked by Studio Homes    November 2, 2013 at 3:59PM
Scott Design, Inc.
Consider opening the stairwell by removing some of the wall area between floors and using a railing or kneewall (similar to Carolyn's picture above) at floor level and down the stairs. It will bring your 500 sq. ft. bonus room more into the overall living area rather than hidden behind a small door. Then there are several ways you can get lighting into the space.
0 Likes   November 2, 2013 at 6:27PM
calidesign
Try a good lighting showroom. You can find LED lights similar to the picture above, and even ones with motion detection, to turn on when someone is going up or down. I also think you may want to rethink sconces. You can find ones that are very unobtrusive, especially for a modern style home.
0 Likes   November 2, 2013 at 6:40PM
kcar66
our lighting is under the handrail so you don't see it. & it shines down on the stairs & lights the area....we love it!!
0 Likes   November 2, 2013 at 6:46PM
Meteor Electrical
Here is an example of lighting that is often used for stairs and cabinets this might be something you are after.
0 Likes   November 4, 2013 at 3:40AM
LBC Lighting
Consider the newer LED step lights, they use very little energy and the LED elements have a very long life.
0 Likes   November 5, 2013 at 2:32PM
Robin W
Kcar66 - can you post a photo? That sounds really neat!
0 Likes   November 5, 2013 at 2:52PM
**Dining area Dilemma**
Two birds, one stone hopefully. First, lots of empty...
basement family room
What do I do with a vertical, cylindrical support beam...
Please help with clock height over server.
Is this clock at a good height above this server?
Art on my wall is making me stall!
Do the dimensions of my stand- in painting work for...
bathroom lights
can you give me the size of the lights and where I...