What would you hang on this wall if anything?
M F
I'm repainting the hall down these stairs in Benjamin Moore revere pewter. It's a very high ceiling and I want a focal point as I'm walking down the stairs. What would you hang? A mirror?
studio10001
Applying mirror on the entire wall could be very dramatic. A long tapestry, or vertical artwork ( approx. twice as big as the current piece) would also look well.
November 2, 2013 at 3:24pm      Thanked by M F
printesa
I usually go for large art. Your hall seems very narrow. I'm trying to picture if having a large painting would make the hall seem even narrower or if it would open it up. Hopefully somebody here can do a mockup:)
studio10001
A hanging light fixture would be a good thing, too, especially if you are leaving the side walls plain. Painting the ceiling a darker or metallic shade will help incorporate it with whatever artwork you choose.
November 2, 2013 at 3:34pm     
I think a fabulous light fixture is all you need.
November 2, 2013 at 3:56pm     
I would so do this:
November 2, 2013 at 4:24pm     
Hang a great fabric like this for some drama and color!

November 2, 2013 at 4:37pm   
jenniferdietrich
large black & white photo in a black frame with a wide white boarder
November 2, 2013 at 4:44pm   
kimedge
I agree with the fabric. I'd get an enormous frame made of plain wood (like a fake art canvas frame) and cover it with a fantastic piece of fabric. Hook it up on two screws and you're done. It's called "canvas wall art" Take it down each year for a dust off and recover it when you get fed up with the fabric. You could custom make it, then paint to match the rest of your home. This white cotton one would look great with the light reflecting off the folds.
November 2, 2013 at 4:48pm     
Terracegallery
Since the ceilings are so high...like they are going up into the sky....I would opt for a simple skyscape...bring in some light...natural colors....
http://fineartamerica.com/featured/solitude-blue-sky-art-by-sharon-cummings-sharon-cummings.html
http://fineartamerica.com/featured/stand-by-me-palm-tree-art-by-sharon-cummings-sharon-cummings.html

Or if you prefer warm tones:
http://fineartamerica.com/featured/not-yet-sunset-art-by-sharon-cummings-sharon-cummings.html

These are nice and vertical so you could cover more space and give it more balance on that wall.
November 2, 2013 at 5:52pm     
chookchook2
Kimedge, to follow your line of thought, couldn't they hang up a business shirt still folded with the cardboard still in it?
November 3, 2013 at 6:56am     
indianpatti
Love Groveraxle's lighting idea ..
November 3, 2013 at 6:59am   
dorsa abdi
A high luster with dark color.
November 3, 2013 at 7:05am   
leelee
Honestly, I think you'd be safer looking at the stairs.
November 3, 2013 at 7:06am     
dclostboy
My flags are very specific to my beach house, but incredibly graphic and dramatic when you walk in.
November 3, 2013 at 7:06am     
carolins
Horizontal black & white stripes, either wallpaper or painted.
November 3, 2013 at 7:30am   
carolins
..
November 3, 2013 at 7:31am   
EB Interiors
A geometric decorative mirror
Chk out zgalleries and ballard designs
November 3, 2013 at 7:38am   
Re|Structure Design-Build, LLC
A "negative space" element could possibly work here too. A 6" deep shadow box is created and lined with black velvet. The fabric drinks in all light with no reflection, this creates the illusion of infinite depth. Last year we did one for a client and the effect was amazing. If this house is of contemporary spirit, it could be a very unusual focal point that really draws you down this hall.
November 3, 2013 at 10:42am   
nechamaj
Hang a dramatic light and paint the ceiling black.
November 3, 2013 at 7:42pm   
With revere pewter on the walls, I would love to see something in gray on that wall… different ceiling light on a dimmer. Something Asian.
68" Tall Giant Gray Bamboo Scroll
Details
November 3, 2013 at 7:48pm   
interiorlook
The first thing I would do is improve the lighting with a specified pinspot with a wall washer. The lighting here is key.

Then, I would use a long painting to fill up 2/3 of the space, and perhaps a low stool like an Ashanti to ground it , but something that would be in proportion to the width of the painting and the wall. The other choice is a piece of art so long and dramatic that it would not need anything to ground it.

The other possibility would be a mirror and a small console table below it. I would make it about the juxtaposition of the textures of each piece.
November 7, 2013 at 6:05pm   
Thoughts on the ceiling fan in a master bedroom traditional home?
Does it look good or does it just look like some lights...
extra help
I've recently designed my small garden but a bit stuck...
Need help to finish my guest room.
I fell in love with this comforter and have decorated...
What do I put in this corner?
Here are pics of my nursery. There is a space between...
kitchen cabinet resuracing or renewal
I re stained my kitchen cabinets using min wax and...