How to hide a hole in the sofa
Debbie
November 2, 2013 in Design Dilemma
After wanting a new sofa for years, I ran across a deal online and bought one. It was a final sale, no returns. I've had it less than two weeks and one of my cats chewed a hole in one of the arms last night. They've never done anything like that before. The sofa is made by Broyhill. I'd like to get some arm covers, but I doubt if I could get the same fabric. Any ideas besides doilies? Just kidding about the doilies. I'm also looking for a cinder block, rope and a deep lake!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Linda Maurer
That's hilarious! The cinder block part, that is. I have a similar couch with a similar hole created by a spoiled Labrador. I will be interested in seeing if anyone has any ideas other than an arm cover.
2 Likes   November 2, 2013 at 4:29PM
sondramartina
I would just throw a blanket over that arm and problem solved.
0 Likes   November 2, 2013 at 4:30PM
Genevieve
You could purchase some matching fabric and make a couple sleeves for the top of the the arm rest I will see if I can find an example for toy .

I found something that will help you ,use the fabric. http://www.ehow.com/how_5572434_sew-chair-armrest-cover.html http://www.ehow.com/how_5572455_sew-covers-arm-sofa-chair.html

get the idea :)
http://sofa-a.com/sofa/sofa-a/2012/05/sofa-arm-covers-1.jpg
2 Likes   Thanked by Debbie    November 2, 2013 at 4:36PM
kimedge
I'd get in touch with the firm online and see if they have any spare bits of fabric left. Or get a match as close as you can, buy enough to get both ends re-done by an upholsterer. A couple of panels shouldn't cost too much. I know someone who did this for absolutely decades with her dream-sofa!
1 Like   Thanked by Debbie    November 2, 2013 at 4:37PM
Debbie
The Broyhill fabric number was attached to the sofa, thank goodness! I think I will try to find this fabric or something close to make covers until I can replace the end piece. I don't want it to get worse. There goes my great deal on the sofa.
1 Like   November 2, 2013 at 4:51PM
0 Likes   November 2, 2013 at 4:51PM
PRO
Suzan J Designs - Decorating Den Interiors
Call a local upholsterer and discuss. Sometimes there is enough fabric for them to stretch and reupholster the side using the same piece of fabric. It doesn't appear that there is enough, but it's worth a shot. Otherwise, ask the upholsterer to make arm covers. Chances are they'll have a neutral fabric that may work, or call the store and ask if you can purchase a yard of the fabric. The dye lot may be off a bit, but it would still cover it nicely. Good luck!
1 Like   November 2, 2013 at 4:52PM
orangecamera
Hate to bring this up, but you may have bugs in the sofa if your cat has suddenly begun biting furniture. I'd look into that before doing anything else. :(
1 Like   November 2, 2013 at 4:55PM
marybea
Is there room for an end table. The right sized end table could hide the hole.
1 Like   November 2, 2013 at 4:58PM
Genevieve
With a light colour sofa you are better off to get coves made the arm rest , the store where you purchased the sofa can place an order for extra cushions and covers for you , with pets,children and some adults we need to be prepared for these sort of things . Bring the cushion with you to the fabric store if you cannot get a hold of the original fabric .and don't forget to Scotch Guard it .
1 Like   November 2, 2013 at 5:07PM
Debbie
Oh, I hope I don't have bugs! Orangecamera, you made me look. I didn't see anything, but I'll keep my eye out.

I ordered the sofa from one of Joss & Main's sales events. Wayfair does carry this line. I'll give them a call and see if they can help. They have great customer service. Thank you for all the suggestions. Both arms are now covered with a throw to prevent further damage.

And, just for clarification, both cats will continue to be a part of our family. I don't know which one is guilty, so both will stay for now. :-)
1 Like   November 2, 2013 at 5:43PM
Tina Devereaux
Have you turned the sofa upside down? Sounds crazy, but I had a small but nasty rip occur in a sofa once. I freaked, because the piece was an antique! No WAY I could match the fabric. I turned the sofa upside down, and where the fabric had been attached to the frame in one corner, it hadn't been trimmed well. Thus, it left a piece just big enough for me to make a double patch. One under the rip, sofa in the middle, and one on the top. I was extremely careful the way I cut, so I could match the pattern on the top patch. I used... oh, what's it called.... shoot, I can't think of the name..... you use an iron with it.... fusible on both sides something.... anyway, whatever that's called. And after that dried, I used the teeny tiniest bit of liquid fray stop around the edges. But you may not need that, depending on your fabric. Mine was a tapestry. You will always know the patch is there. To you, it will stand out like a sore thumb. But to others, unless you point it out, they'll never notice. Good luck!
1 Like   November 2, 2013 at 6:04PM
Debbie
Wayfair is going to fix my sofa!
2 Likes   November 4, 2013 at 4:06PM
orangecamera
Excellent!
0 Likes   November 4, 2013 at 4:09PM
More Discussions
Need help deciding kitchen paint color
Which color do you prefer for our kitchen?
Amy Theesfeld
Let's play with my Snazzy Garottage project
We're building a carriage house (we prefer the term...
rredpenn
Window treatments for dormer windows
Any ideas for window treatments for the dormers? At...
lottie12
Kitchen Nook
Ok design enthusiasts, what would you do with this...
kimberlysc
Need advice
Can u help me in choosing the right chandelier for...
Haifaa Rihan
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2014 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™