Need help hiding an extension cord
Curt D'Onofrio
In the living room we just have two lights mounted on the wall, and i would like overhead light so i can do some reading there. I do not want to tear up the wall and ceiling in order to run more wire. The easiest solution seems to me is to run an extension cord from the outlet to the ceiling and to install a ceiling fan light combo. How do we hide the extension cord though?
orangecamera
This sounds like a real fire hazard. And you can't just screw a ceiling fan onto a ceiling.
4 Likes   November 2, 2013 at 5:03PM
2 Likes   Thanked by Curt D'Onofrio    November 2, 2013 at 5:05PM
Curt D'Onofrio
Thanks. I like the one by imm
0 Likes   November 2, 2013 at 5:09PM
Kenyon McIntyre Inc.
have a electrician run romex with wire mold, its not the greatest looking but it is legal.
0 Likes   Thanked by Curt D'Onofrio    November 2, 2013 at 5:10PM
Fred S
As mentioned, there is more to mounting a paddle fan to the ceiling than meets the eye. Many inspectors cite codes that don't really apply, but they won't allow NM-B cable in a wiremold because it is not THHN rated wire. You do not mention what is above the ceiling. Electricians are usually quite good at finding power without tearing up walls. A fan and light can be turned off or on by remote control.
1 Like   November 2, 2013 at 5:45PM
Kenyon McIntyre Inc.
so fred are you saying you should just grab on to any circuit that's in that joist or rafter bay.
0 Likes   November 2, 2013 at 6:17PM
calidesign
Use an electrician to put wiring where you want it, or use floor lamps. You can even get rechargeable floor lamps that don't need to be near an outlet.
1 Like   November 2, 2013 at 6:19PM
Fred S
No. That is why I ask what is above and mention an electrician. Obviously, things like kitchen appliance circuits should not be used.
0 Likes   November 2, 2013 at 6:22PM
Kenyon McIntyre Inc.
duh
0 Likes   November 2, 2013 at 6:55PM
Kenyon McIntyre Inc.
they have remote controls for those now? how long has that been around?
0 Likes   November 2, 2013 at 6:57PM
Curt D'Onofrio
Re: orangecamera (fire hazard)
You're right. It is a potential fire hazard if one uses an extension cord in where the mil thickness of the wires in the extension cord is small. My plan though is to use a heavy duty extension cord so no voltage drop occurs within the extension cord....no voltage drop within the extension cord equates to "no heat generated within the extension cord, and thus, no melting of the extension wire wires' ...melting = fire hazard. No melting = No fire hazard.
0 Likes   November 2, 2013 at 7:32PM
J Petempich
Do not use extension cord as house wire. Think of it this way. My house was built in 1973 my wiring is 40 years old. Would I want a hidden extension cord 40 years old with the old insulation on the cord in my house running a fan? Think of the next guy.
0 Likes   Thanked by Curt D'Onofrio    November 2, 2013 at 7:49PM
Curt D'Onofrio
Re: orangecamera (fire hazard)
Years ago, a friend of mine ran a electric heater. The manufacturer correctly used a wire of correct mil thickness...those wires never became hot to the touch, meaning there was no voltage drop. But she decided to position that electric heater in where an extension cord was needed. She used an extension cord of the impomter mil thickness. Her cord became excessivity warm to the touch. I deactivated it
0 Likes   November 2, 2013 at 7:53PM
Curt D'Onofrio
Re: Jill Petempich "Thinking of the next guy"
I always think ahead. It's a pleasure that other(s) do likewise.
0 Likes   November 2, 2013 at 8:07PM
nechamaj
The previous owners of our home had hooked up a ceiling light the way you are planning to. It was extremely dangerous and we finally called in an electrician who fixed it up properly for $300 . He only made two little holes in the wall and ceiling!
0 Likes   November 2, 2013 at 8:27PM
Fred S
@ Kenyon, remote controls for paddle fans have been around long enough that I can't remember how long they have been around :) maybe 15- 20 years?
@ Curt, hiding an extension cord is limited to getting one the same color as the wall by code. NEVER put an extension cord in a wire mold or bury it behind something semi-permanent or run it through a sheetrock ceiling or wall. It is usually a big code violation.
0 Likes   Thanked by Curt D'Onofrio    November 2, 2013 at 8:30PM
chookchook2
Tear up the wall and ceiling . From Gerry the builder and Larry the electrician. Call us!
0 Likes   November 2, 2013 at 8:33PM
J Petempich
....and like Fred S says, only the ceiling and use a remote. Probably not much more than trying to figure out a chase
0 Likes   November 2, 2013 at 8:45PM
yvonnecmartin
You can also have outlets put in the floor, probably wired from the basement.
0 Likes   November 2, 2013 at 8:50PM
Kenyon McIntyre Inc.
yes fred I know, wire mold is still acceptable in most places if not run it in conduit. but some tear up would be involved otherwise.
0 Likes   November 2, 2013 at 10:21PM
Kenyon McIntyre Inc.
so fred are you referencing from NEC or IEC, NEC is still used around here, but we use IBC and IRC now. a couple of years ago there was nothing but IBC, which in fact was CBC?
0 Likes   November 2, 2013 at 10:25PM
Fred S
Wire mold is acceptable. It is what you put in it that matters. THHN is always acceptable. Romex depends on the AHJ's interpretation. Cable listed for extension cords is not acceptable to be buried in any way.
0 Likes   November 2, 2013 at 10:31PM
Fred S
Electricians always go by NEC as far as I know. It is part of NFPA. If there is an IEC version, please let me know where to find it. The only reference I am aware of for electrical requirements from the ICC is a direct reference to the NEC verbatim.
0 Likes   November 2, 2013 at 10:38PM
Fred S
Because I can't find a copy on the internet of the NEC that is readily accessible to everyone, and the provisions are in several places in the code book including the listed uses of SJO type cord, I will post this link that pretty well sums it up. http://powerbridgesolution.com/faq/extensioncordwarning.html
0 Likes   November 2, 2013 at 11:00PM
chookchook2
Curt, if you are interested in a revolving house ( your other question) then you should not baulk at hiding a few wires in walls. Do things properly, for resale value and safety.
0 Likes   Thanked by Curt D'Onofrio    November 2, 2013 at 11:03PM
Curt D'Onofrio
Re: chookchook2 "baulk at hiding a few wires"
We don't look to sell our house ever...we love it here. So, the resale value is of no concern of ours. But...i do think about the future, ...that is, the future occupants, and thus all my projects i (try to) follow "National Electrical Codes" (NEC) . Of where i stray from these standards, by accident of course, i'm sure listeners on this site will set me straight
1 Like   November 2, 2013 at 11:49PM
chookchook2
Cool
0 Likes   Thanked by Curt D'Onofrio    November 3, 2013 at 12:09AM
J Petempich
It is always nice to have a switch on the wall but the remote or using a fan with pull chains that are on some fans if you want a more rustic or industrial look. You just need an electrician to install a proper box in the cieling. I think you are a person that likes to do everything yourself but sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and it's only one box.
0 Likes   November 3, 2013 at 5:19AM
Kenyon McIntyre Inc.
fred s, it does not say anything about not being able to in article 334 of the NEC. is it advised no.
0 Likes   November 3, 2013 at 3:51PM
Linda
Either do it right, by putting the wire inside the wall and ceiling, or live with the visible extension cord. Extension cords are not designed for permanent use...for something you intend to use on a permanent basis, install permanent wiring

Before you decide that tearing up the walls and ceiling is too much work, have an electrician that works in existing houses come out and discuss the situation. Some electricians are quite good at adding wiring without making a big mess but not all so you may need to talk with a couple different people. If you have some flexibility with the exact location for the box, you may find that all you need is a hole at the edge of the ceiling and one at the wall.

In my opinion, surface mount wiring in a residential setting looks like a homeowner cutting corners
1 Like   Thanked by Curt D'Onofrio    November 3, 2013 at 4:30PM
chookchook2
Water and electricity don't mix. One fitting should be moved now, or disabled.
0 Likes   November 3, 2013 at 4:32PM
Fred S
You have to read and understand the whole code book. Conduit or plug mold fill is based on certain wire types like THHN. There is no fill for NM-B. It is also based on free space in the conduit. The outer jacket takes up free space especially in small wire mold. Stripping the wire to put it in a wire mold would technically be wrong because the wire would no longer have identifying marks on it for wire and insulation type. It does not specifically exclude non-metallic cable, but it doesn't include it. It also doesn't include how many 6/0 conductors you can put in a 1/2" conduit, but that doesn't make it legal. It won't even fit. It is a grey area that never gets fixed. You just have to go by what the local AHJ says. Most of them will just say to use the THHN that is sitting in your truck anyway and quite trying to argue about it.
1 Like   November 3, 2013 at 4:52PM
chookchook2
Sorry my last comment was meant for the similar thread that has a sprinkler above it. Please people help her!
0 Likes   November 3, 2013 at 5:28PM
Kenyon McIntyre Inc.
Lol
0 Likes   November 3, 2013 at 5:52PM
Kenyon McIntyre Inc.
And Linda is correct, also another pro.
0 Likes   November 3, 2013 at 5:53PM
reba120
Overhead lighting is almost always awful - it does not add any warmth to a room. Go with lamps, please!
0 Likes   November 3, 2013 at 6:21PM
Curt D'Onofrio
Re: reba120 "Overhead lighting is almost always awful..."
This is where you and me differ. I like reading and overhead lighting is the best
1 Like   November 3, 2013 at 7:37PM
need help hiding TV cords
ok so i really want to mount the TV above the fireplace...
Room to hide the extension cord?
Can the extension cord be tucked inside the hole in...
Hiding extension cords?
any ideas on how to hide the nasty electrical cords...
Need ideas to hide cord from mantle to picture lamp
I have a large picture over a stone mantle which is...
Need HELP with Kitchen. Just bought house
I had a white kitchen in my old house so these cabinets...
Need help converting to study/library
This room is at the main entrance and is supposed to...
My exterior needs help!
House is an '80s split level with awful two tone off...
Need help updating living room
We are working on decorating our living room. Looking...